Known Fix: FNIS "ERROR(76): Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\temporary_logs\DebugData.txt'."

9 hours ago, ttts1 said:

Yes, I think that is the default? 

Edit:  in light of @alex77r4's post after this, my MO2 install was using the C:\Users\[User_Name]\AppData\Local... path.

YES... Of course, the default location for the MO data is inside C:\Users\[User_Name]\AppData\Local... path.

If you open MO, make click on File -> Change Game you go to the Instances Manager of MO. That allow you to create and manage multiple instanced of MO designed to manage different games with MO. A lot of people think that MO only works with Beth games, like Skyrim and Fallout, but that is totally false. Today, MO support more than 30 games

But when we talk about Skyrim practically everybody recommend and alert you that, to not have problems with the external tools, the instance for manage Skyrim with MO2 must be portable and the MO data can NOT be under C:\Users\[User_Name]\AppData

Step is the only that, today, recommend instanced:

https://stepmodifications.org/wiki/Guide:Mod_Organizer

https://stepmodifications.org/wiki/SkyrimLE:3.0.0#Mod_Organizer_2_-_Configuration

The rest of the guides strongly recommend portable installation:

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/136543-v113-mod-organizer-2-other-tools-from-zero-to-hey-sexlab-is-working/

In the 7 page of the PDF

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/176696-the-skyrim-le-tesvle-modding-cheatbook-guide-sep21/

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/91985-requiem-v402-for-sse-conversion-guide-for-mod-organizer/

https://lexyslotd.com/guide/prerequisites/

A good explanation about when and why use instanced vs portable:

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/h7xgle/new_instance_vs_new_profile_mod_organizer_2/

My recommendation:

If you are a single user in a single computer managing a single game use portable.

If have a family, yours children use your computer and you want have your installation/mods protected use Instanced.

If you want manage multiple games use Instanced.

But for not have problems, like that originate this post, always use MO portable for Skyrim.

Edited by alex77r4
12 hours ago, alex77r4 said:

That is exactly your problem. AppData is a user based folder, that mean, the exact location of the folder depend of the user that make login in the computer and, of course, is under UAC control. Seems that you have multiple users in your computer or you have a bad installation of MO.

The real location of the AppData folder is C:\Users\[User_Name]\AppData\Local\[Program_Name]

The real location of the AppData folder is C:\Users\[User_Name]\AppData\LocalLow\[Program_Name]

The real location of the AppData folder is C:\Users\[User_Name]\AppData\Roaming\[Program_Name]

Is a folder to allow use the same computer and the same programs by different persons, storing data in different folder, one per each user.

Additionally, allow store different type of data, depending of normal data, low level data or a copy of data stored in web servers.

Of course, that folder is outside the folders that you are excluding in the Windows Antivirus and, probably, if you exclude it in the Antivirus go to make nothing because is a personal folder, under UAC control, and probably, your Error 76 is fired from UAC and not fired from the Antivirus.

I have that folder in my computer, but is empty. I have nothing in that folder. Because my MO configuration is this:

Hide contents

image.png.b936adceec437a9be2b8bafcc9cbba57.png

I not sure why you have your overwrite folder in AppData but is the motive of all yours problems. Try change your configuration.

Believe me, I'm more surprised than anyone that my overwrite folder is apparently in AppData, because not only did I not put it there myself, but my MO2 is located in a "Modding" folder, outside of the programmes folder, and even seperate from my games folder where skyrim is located, also outside of the programmes folder. ?

My computer is used by someone other than myself, and mine is not the primary account on this device, learning modding has been a terribly "trial and error" experience for me as I'm not a computer whizz yet I have had to teach myself what little I know, as a consequence I can't help but miss underlying issues if they're not giving me immediate problems.

I've been playing skyrim for years on this pc, using FNIS with no issues whatsoever, presumably with everything set up as it is now, and all of a sudden this error is just now deciding to raise its ugly head as of mere days ago.

If I understand you correctly, than what I need to do is check on the main users account for where skyrim and anything associated with it are located right?

It should be noted that everything to do with skyrim was set up on my secondary account and unless I made some mistakes regarding admin permissions during certain procedures than there shouldn't be too much difference between how skyrim is set up on the primary account compared to my own.

Thank you for your help and patience.

10 hours ago, alex77r4 said:

My recommendation:

If you are a single user in a single computer managing a single game use portable.

If have a family, yours children use your computer and you want have your installation/mods protected use Instanced.

If you want manage multiple games use Instanced.

But for not have problems, like that originate this post, always use MO portable for Skyrim.

FYI - I think this is incredibly helpful.  This was the type of advice I was looking for about 10 days ago when I reinstalled Skyrim and started adding mods again after 5 years away. 

I kept reading posts that said "well, use a set up that's good for you" type comments.  Which is true if you have some basic knowledge, but some people don't know enough to know what's good.  I was clueless (still am), so people with knowledge being more definitive can really help point us in the right direction.  

11 hours ago, AnonAngelion said:

I've been playing skyrim for years on this pc, using FNIS with no issues whatsoever, presumably with everything set up as it is now, and all of a sudden this error is just now deciding to raise its ugly head as of mere days ago.

As i has been stated, the default location of the MO data is inside AppData and that location, normally, works because the problem is not in the normal things that MO make, like download, install and activate mods. The problem is always related to the external tools, like Fnis, BodySlide, Outfit Studio, TexGen, DynDolod, Requiem Rectificator... any external program that need change the game files...

The external tools not have any kind of problem when are executed with any other manager. But when we use MO that tools must be launched from inside MO because the files are not located in the normal folders. That cause a lot of problems and MO has been updated a lot of times, only and exclusively, to solve problems in the external tools. And of course, the external tools has been modified to works with MO.

Is my main motive to not use and not recommend MO. The problems was here, are here and always go to be here. Simply because any update in a tool can made it stop working with MO. And of course, any change in any component in the security of the system, can be Antivirus or Windows OS, can made the tools stop working.

That not mean MO not works. Millions of player use MO every day. The updates in the tools and the new versions of MO works very well in the majority of the situations without any problem. But we never go to be free of the possible problems caused by the Virtual System of MO.

11 hours ago, AnonAngelion said:

If I understand you correctly, than what I need to do is check on the main users account for where skyrim and anything associated with it are located right?

Not, theoretically you not need the main account.

If your only problem is FNIS you can try use the option of RedirectFiles inside Fnin.ini to send the Fnis files to a folder outside AppData.

1 - Open the Mod Organizer installation folder and create a new folder, call it for example Fnis_Data

2 - Search a file called Fnins.ini0 located in the Fnis folder, where Fnis is installed, and rename it to Fnis.ini

3 - Open Fnis.ini, locate the line RedirectFiles and remove the ' from the start of the line. Be sure that you remove the comment character.

The Fnis RedirectFiles option not works without remove the ' character from the start of the line.

4 - Aim to the new created folder as for example: RedirectFiles=C:\games\MO2\Fnis_Data

4 - Put the exact location of the real folder that you create in the step 1.

Open MO and run FNIS. You must see a line in the FNIS log saying something like: Files Redirected to folder ...

If you not see the line something was not made correctly. Revise the steps and search additional documentation in Google.

I can miss a step because the last time i enabled RedirectFiles was a lot of years ago.

If all works correctly add the new folder, in my example C:\games\MO2\Fnis_Data, as a mod in the left pane of MO and enable it.

But of course, that only go to solve the problems with FNIS. That not guaranty you never go to have others problems whit others tools.

The most recommended option is move from Instanced to Portable:

1 - Open the Mod Organizer installation folder and create a new folder, call it as the game, like Skyrim or Skyrim SE or Fallout.

2 - Open the AppData folder and copy everything to the new folder, as example C:\games\MO2\SkyrimSE

3 - Open MO, and click Tools->Settings

4 - In the Paths tabs change the Base Directory to the new folder, as example C:\games\MO2\SkyrimSE

Theorically, MO copy all the data but sometimes miss folders or files. Is better make a first a manual copy as in the step 1.

5 - Close MO, open MO and verify that everything is working.

Very important steps:

6 - Close MO, go to the AppData folder and rename the old folder used by MO.

7 - Open MO and verify again that everything is working using the data in the new folder called C:\games\MO2\SkyrimSE

9 - Close MO, go to the AppData folder and delete the old folder used by MO sending it to trash bin.

10 - Open MO and verify again that everything is working using the data in the new folder called C:\games\MO2\SkyrimSE

11 - Empty your trash bin to free a lot of GB in the hard disk.

And finally, be happy, because the computers never stop and always can give new problems.

Edited by alex77r4
18 minutes ago, Heroine HoneyCrotch said:

WindowDefender

I thought this was already stated. But you need to account for the general aversion to reading v/s the joy of creating a new thread and waiting for a quick answer.

Also it doesn't affect all Windows 10 - MO2 - FNIS users. So there is something else going on, something more, hidden, not spoken out loud...

21 minutes ago, Heroine HoneyCrotch said:

1, but the lightbulb has to want to change

Sounds more like therapists to me tbh.

1 hour ago, Heroine HoneyCrotch said:

With fnis error. MO didn't change, Fnis didn't change. Problem is outside of those 2 and you peoples having problems must have something in common. Win10? WindowDefender? SloBloAntiVirus?

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/directx/

Excuse me, but 95% of the people have Win10 and every Win10 have WindowDefender enabled until you install another antivirus. Then, have Win10, WindowDefender or another antivirus is not the problem.

As i have stated, the exact problem is related to specific configurations. Each user have have their own config. Some have MO in Portable mode while others have Instanced. Some have UAC enabled but others not. Some have Admin user but others not. Some had problems time ago and exclude some programs from DEP. Or disable some functionalties in the Antivirus. Or directly exclude their entire game folder from the antivirus. Know what config have each user and what changes had made is very dificult.

33 minutes ago, alex77r4 said:

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/directx/

Excuse me, but 95% of the people have Win10 and every Win10 have WindowDefender enabled until you install another antivirus. Then, have Win10, WindowDefender or another antivirus is not the problem.

As i have stated, the exact problem is related to specific configurations. Each user have have their own config. Some have MO in Portable mode while others have Instanced. Some have UAC enabled but others not. Some have Admin user but others not. Some had problems time ago and exclude some programs from DEP. Or disable some functionalties in the Antivirus. Or directly exclude their entire game folder from the antivirus. Know what config have each user and what changes had made is very dificult.

I

What do we think triggered recent flare up? 

And I dont know about any of the settings you mentioned  minus giving MO administrative privileges.  Going on 5 years since j set up  MO1, are any of settings MO2 only?

Don't think  I have  seen  MO1 user w problem 

Edited by Heroine HoneyCrotch
2 hours ago, Heroine HoneyCrotch said:

What do we think triggered recent flare up? 

This exact problem show because, as in the 90% of the situations, one of the fuking Automatic Updates of Win10 have change something in the Windows Defender, the free antivirus of mocosoft, of course, whitout any notification of any kind to the user, and now, the users of Win10 with Windows Defender that have MO2 configured in Instanced mode seems to have problems to run FNIS.

If you have Win10 but you use other antivirus, probably, you not have this problem.

If you have Win10 but you use MO2 in portable mode, you not have this problem.

If you have Win10, use MO2 in instanced mode and have Windows Defender probably you have this problem.

But this exact problem depend of another configurations because, if you use an Administrator user or have MO2 and FNIS configured to be executed always as Admin, probably this exact problem not show. Maybe deactivating DEP or deactivating UAC the problem not show. Only a specific group of users, with a specific configuration have this problem. The rest of the users, as each one have different configurations, not have this problem.

Is a specific problem related to a specific configuration, but is not a exclusive configuration of the OS. The config in MO2, as instanced or Portable, show or cause the problem. Configure FNIS with the redirect option, probably, solve the problem. Also, disable DEP or UAC can solve the problem. Is not necesary change a specific thing, we can make many things to solve this exact problem. What exacly make the user to solve the problem is in they hands and can make a lot of things.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For the last 2 or so months I have been pulling my hair out, uninstalling and reinstalling FNIS, yelling at the sky about why my FNIS suddenly broke without reason. I literally gave up for over a month - but I can't leave something broken for too long, it eats at me until I fix it.. Then I find this post - and it turns out all I had to do is turn off some Windows bullshit? You're kidding me, I laughed hard for a few minutes. To think, my sanity was almost defeated by a Windows update.  OP - you are awesome, and my literal hero for today. Thank you sooooooooo much!

• 3 weeks later...

Blessedly, unlike @ShadowProctor above, I only pulled out a little of my hair today because I scored a critical hit with my Google-fu.

OTOH, I had literally run FNIS within 2 hours with no problem, and certainly hadn't changed anything but selecting/deselecting mods in MO2.

F'ing Windows.

• 3 weeks later...

Wellp, I've got this same issue. Tried disabling real time protection but this is what I get

ERROR(76): Could not find a part of the path 'E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\temporary_logs\GenerateFNIS_LogFile.txt'.

Edit: Found this at Stepmodifications.org

"I don't know how you have Mod Organizer and FNIS configured, so these are general recommendations/requirements. Mod Organizer must not be installed in the Steam or game folder or you may run into a folder recursion issue with UVFS. When you install FNIS in Mod Organizer, right click on Overwrite and select All Mods / Create Empty Mod. Name this mod something like FNIS_Output and make sure it's unchecked -- this FNIS_Output mod must not be active (checked) when you run GenerateFNISForUsers. Double click the FNIS mod, go to the Filetree tab, rename FNIS.ini0 to FNIS.ini, and click Close. Double click the FNIS mod again and go to the INI Files tab. You should see FNIS.ini listed here so select it and find this line:

'RedirectFiles=D:\___FNIS_Redirect

Remove the ' at the beginning of the line and change the path to the full path of the FNIS Outut mod, click Save, and click Close. The result should be something like this:

RedirectFiles=C:\ModOrganizer\mods\FNIS_Output

This instructs GenerateFNISForUsers to store all generated files directly into the FNIS_Output mod and it must be unchecked when you run GenerateFNISForUsers so UVFS does not interfere with the process.

Finally run GenerateFNISForUsers from Mod Organizer. Assuming it runs successfully and generates all of the animation files without any errors, close GenerateFNISForUsers and check (activate) the FNIS_Output mod."

Other than it just putting the files into the overwrite folder instead of the other one I just created, it did run successfully.

Edited by bigglebojiggle
7 hours ago, bigglebojiggle said:

Mod Organizer must not be installed in the Steam

Most be an MO2 thing, I use MO1 and I have MO in Steam. It's been years without problems. 

Other than it just putting the files into the overwrite folder instead of the other one I just created, it did run successfully.

You mean the fnis output could end up in an alternative location? I have always had my fnis dump into overwrite folder, I personally drag and drop my output from overwrite into fnis folder. Quick and easy

16 hours ago, Heroine HoneyCrotch said:

Most be an MO2 thing, I use MO1 and I have MO in Steam. It's been years without problems. 

You mean the fnis output could end up in an alternative location? I have always had my fnis dump into overwrite folder, I personally drag and drop my output from overwrite into fnis folder. Quick and easy

Yep, it was MO2. I only just now realized this thread for Oldrim, could've sworn I was looking into Special Edition...

Anyway, I ended up just going back to Oldrim, in SE/AE even the basic body and texture replacers didn't load, said screw it and gave up

Yep, it was MO2. I only just now realized this thread for Oldrim, could've sworn I was looking into Special Edition...

Anyway, I ended up just going back to Oldrim, in SE/AE even the basic body and texture replacers didn't load, said screw it and gave up

We're  happy to have you back on the LE side. AE has caused a lot users problems. No good. 

14 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

Welcome back to the light. ?

Yep. Kinda sucks because there are a few great looking mods that aren't on or cant be done on Oldrim. Like one of the modern combat animation mods. I got the animation to work and a few mods to work that I tested out, but for some reason it's not even loading any character body/texture replacers, or any physics. Not sure why, just doing all it can to make sure I say on Legendary Edition I guess.,

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to revive this thread, but I tried all the suggestions above; still no go. :dissapointed: What finally worked for me was setting fnis to run in compatibility mode for win7. Hopefully this may help anyone that still has this issue. I've been looking for a fix for this one for months now. Even going as far as deleting my entire SE profiles. What a pain.

On 9/29/2021 at 11:49 AM, AnonAngelion said:

After getting this error myself and hearing others having the same issue I have decided to put forward the solution I found for this particular error.

It was apparently caused by Windows 10 forcibly updating regardless of anyones settings and turning on "Real time protection", to fix, this must be turned back off.

1. Left click "Start".

2. Click "Settings".

3. Click "Update and Security".

4. Click "Windows Security".

5. Click "Virus and Threat Protection".

6. Scroll to "Virus and Threat Protection Settings".

7. Underneath this, press "Manage Settings".

8. Finally, under "Real Time Protection", turn the switch "Off".

Be aware that it states that this can only be temporarily turned off, if problem happens again, remember to check this setting once more.

I do not know how long the above setting can be turned off for, or if there is a way to turn it off permanently, but for anyone struggling to find a solution, this is the best I have found.

EDIT: Down below is Marg597's solution for this issue, it should be more permanent than the aforementioned one, good luck all and happy modding. :)