Known Fix: FNIS "ERROR(76): Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\temporary_logs\DebugData.txt'."

Here's a better way, you can set up exclusions in Windows Security for the executable and processes you are using.  For myself, I've set it up for FNIS, the mod manager and any other little things I run through it, including the Game exe and skse loader.  Here are some instructions I jotted down recently to help.

1 hour ago, Marg597 said:

Here's a better way, you can set up exclusions in Windows Security for the executable and processes you are using.  For myself, I've set it up for FNIS, the mod manager and any other little things I run through it, including the Game exe and skse loader.  Here are some instructions I jotted down recently to help.

Thank you very much for this info, I just added exclusions for the things in ur list that I have, I'm still trying to locate fnis through the file explorer and will add one for it as well once I find it.

Hopefully by the sound of things this might make my game smoother for not having potential scans running in the background? I wasn't even aware that it did this quite so intrusively.

It's odd that this real time protection thing has suddenly become a problem now, microsoft must have tweaked what their software looks for, as I don't believe I have ever had to perform any changes to windows antivirus to play skyrim until now.

In any case, thank you again for the added info, it was concise and helpful. :)

P.S I don't often make these threads, but if I knew how I would pin you're comment so that it stays at the forefront of this thread.

EDIT: Unfortunately in my case, excluding the files you mentioned including the "GenerateFNISForUsers.exe" did not work, FNIS still throws up an error stating that it cannot find part of a DebugData.txt file which I have confirmed the existance of, the error persists only until I do the aforementioned fix.

Before reverting to the previous fix, I also tried excluding the DebugData.txt in case the anti-virus was messing with it somehow, but fnis still got the error, I'm not sure what more I can do, I have excluded all the files that u showed plus the debug file and fnis.exe with no luck.

Edited by AnonAngelion

This must be an issue with the way MO plays with FNIS (or Windows Defender) rather than Windows Defender/Windows Update.

I don't use MO but I use W10 and have my Windows Defender Real-Time Protection permanently on - I never have to touch it for Skyrim or any other game (or anything else).

I've tried this and it didn't solve my issue.  Same error message:  ERROR(76): Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\temporary_logs\DebugData.txt'

Using MO2.

I've tried (per suggestions on various sites):

A) Turn off Windows Security/Defender:  No change

B) Add Windows Defender process exception:  No change.

C) Adding "Output" folder (via Overwrite) and selecting that the "Create files in mod instead of overwrite" in executable:  No change.

D) per the installation video on the Nexus download page for FNIS, I manually installed and edited the INI to force the use of the "Output" folder:  No change. 

What worked for me:

1) Uninstall FNIS (obviously)

2) Manual install in the "Data" files from the FNIS mod into the "Data" folder of the actual game install.  For me, it is within the SteamApps\common\SkyrimSpecialEdition folder.  (Don't worry about the FNIS sturff outside the data folder, they are simply "readme" files).

3) Set up the Executable in MO2.  I haven't used other mod managers, I would presume it's the same for them? 

4) Same as "C" listed above.  In the Executable, I set an "Output" folder I created via MO2.

FNIS ran for me, I'm going to test it in game.  I wanted to put this down before I forgot the steps.  I've been working on this for about 6 hours or so and I'm losing my mind at this point. 

The reason I added exclusions for these processes was due to testing why it was taking my computer minutes to run fallout 4 from an ssd and get to the main menu, watching the task manager and realizing it was the real time protection aggressively scanning the process.  this had been happening previously  with skyrim as well, and at that time i had just added the file exclusions.  it wasn't until I added both the file and process exclusions with fallout that I realized it drastically reduced the loading time to do this. it is possible that only the process exclusions are needed, I havnt investigated that.  From what I have seen the exclusions can help alleviate freezing issues as well, but apparently not this error.  perhaps the fix posted above will work for you though.

Edit : after rereading @ttts1
I find it strange that installing it directly to the data folder fixed it for you.  may I ask where you originally had it installed?  ahh forgive my tired brain.  could the issue have been that it was in program files folder, I've seen many guides that advise against using program files but perhaps it is more meaningful to do so when using mod organizer

Ok now I've read it again, and I see its likely still in program files.  still strange.  sorry for all the edits, long day.

Edited by Marg597
question x3 edits oh my
2 hours ago, Marg597 said:

The reason I added exclusions for these processes was due to testing why it was taking my computer minutes to run fallout 4 from an ssd and get to the main menu, watching the task manager and realizing it was the real time protection aggressively scanning the process.  this had been happening previously  with skyrim as well, and at that time i had just added the file exclusions.  it wasn't until I added both the file and process exclusions with fallout that I realized it drastically reduced the loading time to do this. it is possible that only the process exclusions are needed, I havnt investigated that.  From what I have seen the exclusions can help alleviate freezing issues as well, but apparently not this error.  perhaps the fix posted above will work for you though.

Edit : after rereading @ttts1
I find it strange that installing it directly to the data folder fixed it for you.  may I ask where you originally had it installed?  ahh forgive my tired brain.  could the issue have been that it was in program files folder, I've seen many guides that advise against using program files but perhaps it is more meaningful to do so when using mod organizer

Ok now I've read it again, and I see its likely still in program files.  still strange.  sorry for all the edits, long day.

I think due to past advise which I now can't recall, I made a seperate file to contain Mod Organiser and another for the Steam folder, I think I did this mainly to remember better where these files were located, it's never caused me any issues before, and until just recently has never gave me problems with real time protection.

Judging by how many people in only the past few days have reported this same problem, I believe it is definitely something to do with something windows has done to some computers, it's luck of the draw I guess, some people might have had the right settings active at the time and the stars aligned for them, others not so fortunate.

Edited by AnonAngelion

No problem, long day for me as well.  I'll provide context on my situation in case it helps others, has taken me 4 1/2 days at 8-10 hours a day to figure this all out (I'm not working).

Also, I did see the solution you posted has worked for many people, including posts on Nexus and various sites I searched.

I had installed FNIS through MO2 (for SSE, if it matters).  I had done it this past weekend when I first began to adding LL mods after not playing Skyrim for 5 years.  Worked fine but I couldn't get any SexLab animations to work in game.  Every combination I tried over a few days resulted in the same thing:  characters standing on/in each other instead of animations.  All other mod aspects worked fine.  Tried many things, none worked, so I presumed it was major mod conflicts and/or completely messed up load order that LOOT wasn't fixing.

So I uninstalled, and manually deleted every file MO2/Steam didn't, for Skyrim including the base game and DLCs.  When I downloaded FNIS, this time following the guide on LL, Nexus linked install videos, and various tech guy install videos.  I had to cross check them because very minor thinks came out different than what each source suggested, likely due to patches/updates for various files over time.  (for those who need the guide, here's a link): 

This time I had problems installing FNIS despite doing it through MO2.  Which worked fine the 1st time, also through MO2.  I checked the install folder that MO2 did and there was no Tool in FNIS but all the files where there.  Very strange.  I deleted and did a fresh install of FNIS.  Everything there, as it should, but started getting the error message.  So eventually I figured the error message was very literal (and saw 1 post on Nexus suggesting this) and therefore tried what I posted above.  

Skyrim SE is working fine for me now.  I've got 118 mods added since this afternoon when I did it, things working fine, animations are happening.  May have some issues with meshes, looks like Devious Devices and/or Toys (which had shown up in game fine in the previous install).  I have no modding knowledge so I'm basically doing tons of trial and error. 

Edited by ttts1
25 minutes ago, AnonAngelion said:

Judging by how many people in only the past few days have reported this same problem, I believe it is definitely something to do with something windows has done to some computers, it's luck of the draw I guess, some people might have had the right settings active at the time and the stars aligned for them, others not so fortunate.

I think this is true, too.  In my searches today, I noticed a lot of the posts on all the sites I checked where in the past 5 days or so.

12 hours ago, ttts1 said:

1) Uninstall FNIS (obviously)

2) Manual install in the "Data" files from the FNIS mod into the "Data" folder of the actual game install.  For me, it is within the SteamApps\common\SkyrimSpecialEdition folder.  (Don't worry about the FNIS sturff outside the data folder, they are simply "readme" files).

3) Set up the Executable in MO2.  I haven't used other mod managers, I would presume it's the same for them? 

4) Same as "C" listed above.  In the Executable, I set an "Output" folder I created via MO2.

FNIS ran for me, I'm going to test it in game.  I wanted to put this down before I forgot the steps.  I've been working on this for about 6 hours or so and I'm losing my mind at this point. 

it worked, however im gonna test it too. it feels that fnis is not recognizing the virtual folder setup of MO.

6 hours ago, moody132 said:

Yup, it just reenabled itself. I can't believe it...

If you are referring to Microsoft's real time protection, they've coded it to automatically re-enable itself after a short time frame.  if disabling real time protection worked to avoid the error, and it came back when auto re-enabled, you can try setting exclusions as I've detailed in the post I previously linked in this thread.

12 hours ago, nikobellic009 said:

it worked, however im gonna test it too. it feels that fnis is not recognizing the virtual folder setup of MO.

It was hinted at in the Nexus post that gave me the idea to try it that something was causing FNIS not to recognize paths.  However, that person was just guessing and hadn't done it, his/her FNIS was working fine. 

And it's working fine for me, with the edits, after running FNIS many times while adding over 100 mods over the course of the day.  Game is having CTD occasionally with scene changes, but I believe that's from mods (running 133 now, probably going to need to pare down).  I just mention this in case it's a pattern that other people see if they're not heavily modded.  Maybe the way I did it causes crashes or runs too heavy, I don't know and don't have the skill to figure it out.  But my guess is occasional instability is mod-related, just like any heavily modded game.

I defer to anyone else with more tech experience than me if there's a better way.  Just wanted to post something for people who were having problems that the Windows Defender and/or anti-virus solution Marg posted didn't work.

Edited by ttts1
On 9/29/2021 at 8:49 PM, AnonAngelion said:

After getting this error myself and hearing others having the same issue I have decided to put forward the solution I found for this particular error.

It was apparently caused by Windows 10 forcibly updating regardless of anyones settings and turning on "Real time protection", to fix, this must be turned back off.

1. Left click "Start".

2. Click "Settings".

3. Click "Update and Security".

4. Click "Windows Security".

5. Click "Virus and Threat Protection".

6. Scroll to "Virus and Threat Protection Settings".

7. Underneath this, press "Manage Settings".

8. Finally, under "Real Time Protection", turn the switch "Off".

Be aware that it states that this can only be temporarily turned off, if problem happens again, remember to check this setting once more.

I do not know how long the above setting can be turned off for, or if there is a way to turn it off permanently, but for anyone struggling to find a solution, this is the best I have found.

EDIT: Down below is Marg597's solution for this issue, it should be more permanent than the aforementioned one, good luck all and happy modding. :)

Amazing. After trying so many other suggestions and tearing my hair out, this one worked for me. Never would've guessed it was a Microsoft issue and not a FNIS issue. Thanks a million!

On 9/30/2021 at 1:04 PM, Marg597 said:

If you are referring to Microsoft's real time protection, they've coded it to automatically re-enable itself after a short time frame.  if disabling real time protection worked to avoid the error, and it came back when auto re-enabled, you can try setting exclusions as I've detailed in the post I previously linked in this thread.

Realizing I could exclude entire folders, I went back and did so for my "Games" and "Modding" folders, these are what contain my Skyrim and MO2 seperately, however, even after excluding the entire folders where these were stored, fnis still comes up with the "can't find part of the debugdata file" error while real time protection is on.

I have but one last thing I can think of, this debug data file, would you be able to find yours Marg597 and tell me what it contains? I will do the same, I am trying to get to the bottom of why real time protection is blocking this file to begin with.

This is what is contained in my fnis debugdata file.

DebugOutput=1
InputLineDeb=0
OutputLineDeb=0
FromTemplate=0
ToTemplate=9999

It seems pretty normal to me, but I don't really know what fnis uses this file for specifically during animation loading, and why it's important for fnis to function.

Upon going into the folder where the debug file is contained and confirming its presence, I then proceeded to turn real time protection off, then on again to see if it was removing the file and quarentining it, I can confirm that it does not seem to remove it, yet somehow it stops fnis from being able to find "part of it", as stated.

As "DebugData.txt" is merely a text file, I cannot fathom how R.T.P could remove only part of it and not the whole file, if what fnis says is to be taken as gospel, rather, R.T.P seems to be blocking it in some way, regardless of my exclusions.

4 hours ago, AnonAngelion said:

I am trying to get to the bottom of why real time protection is blocking this file to begin with.

I can't make specific test about this problem, because I'm on Win7, but i can give some technical explanations.

The FNIS Error 76 is not new, is causing problems from a lot of years ago, but always with MO, never using others managers.

Is caused by the interceptions that MO make in file manager of the operating system and FNIS is not making anything bad.

Really, MO is making some of the things that some viruses and malware make and, logically, sometimes the antivirus catch it.

Why happen in some users and not happen in others, and specifically in this case, why for some users exclude only the executable or the folder works or not works depend, as always, of the different configurations of each user. To find a consensual point you must start revising versions, configurations, and specific settings about the security of the operating system and not the specific content of the files.

Start verifying in what folder is installed MO and Skyrim, must be outside Program Files. Next, verify the FNIS version, i'm on 7.6 but some users have 7.5 and the MO version, i'm have 2.2.1 but i'm use vortex and not update MO from a lot of time ago. Next verify the configuration inside MO about the Fnis executable and be sure about if the user has activated or not activated the RedirectFiles option inside FNIS.ini because that option was specifically developed to solve this problems.

Next, is time to go more deeper and look if the users have UAC (User Account control) activated or de-activated, if are using an Administrator User  or if have activated the specific option of run Fnis always as Administrator. Another critical point is if we have the DEP (Data Execution Protection) activated or deactivated or if the user has excluded Fnis, Skyrim and Skse_loader from DEP, because that can solve all the problems.

DEP only can be enabled or disabled on 32 bits program's, any 64 bit executable always have DEP enabled.

The Error 76, normally is fired from the low level of the operating system or from the antivirus program, when MO want make a specific operation that are allowed ONLY when some exclusions has been made in the configuration, and the error is translated to MO that transfer it to Fnis that finally say "Error 76 == Someone not allow me access/change/write in this file..."

@AnonAngelion Sorry I can't check that file until later this week.  If you turn off Real Time Protection does it still avoid the error?

Thanks @alex77r4 for the details.  While you posted that I was trying to double check if real time scanning did something different than I thought, but I saw an article confirming exclusions in W10's ant-virus are *supposed* to circumvent RTS.  The info you provided about the FNIS setting RedirectFiles is very interesting, i had not seen it before. It makes sense that the issue is potentially within FNIS then, provided it is being run as admin and not in program files.

1 hour ago, Marg597 said:

@AnonAngelion Sorry I can't check that file until later this week.  If you turn off Real Time Protection does it still avoid the error?

Thanks @alex77r4 for the details.  While you posted that I was trying to double check if real time scanning did something different than I thought, but I saw an article confirming exclusions in W10's ant-virus are *supposed* to circumvent RTS.  The info you provided about the FNIS setting RedirectFiles is very interesting, i had not seen it before. It makes sense that the issue is potentially within FNIS then, provided it is being run as admin and not in program files.

Real time protection "on", error.

Real time protection "off", no error.

I excluded my entire games and modding files and still got the error.

46 minutes ago, AnonAngelion said:

Real time protection "on", error.

Real time protection "off", no error.

I excluded my entire games and modding files and still got the error.

In that case have a look through what Alex said above, maybe there's something else to be adjusted (change the fnis generate exe to run as admin?) or the other setting they mention about RedirectFiles (I'm not sure where that's done, is there an ini file for FNIS?) Here's an example thread discussing RedirectFiles (first comment talks about renaming an ini file)

Spoiler

Edited by Marg597
moved link into spoiler because big
4 hours ago, alex77r4 said:

I can't make specific test about this problem, because I'm on Win7, but i can give some technical explanations.

The FNIS Error 76 is not new, is causing problems from a lot of years ago, but always with MO, never using others managers.

Is caused by the interceptions that MO make in file manager of the operating system and FNIS is not making anything bad.

Really, MO is making some of the things that some viruses and malware make and, logically, sometimes the antivirus catch it.

Why happen in some users and not happen in others, and specifically in this case, why for some users exclude only the executable or the folder works or not works depend, as always, of the different configurations of each user. To find a consensual point you must start revising versions, configurations, and specific settings about the security of the operating system and not the specific content of the files.

Start verifying in what folder is installed MO and Skyrim, must be outside Program Files. Next, verify the FNIS version, i'm on 7.6 but some users have 7.5 and the MO version, i'm have 2.2.1 but i'm use vortex and not update MO from a lot of time ago. Next verify the configuration inside MO about the Fnis executable and be sure about if the user has activated or not activated the RedirectFiles option inside FNIS.ini because that option was specifically developed to solve this problems.

Next, is time to go more deeper and look if the users have UAC (User Account control) activated or de-activated, if are using an Administrator User  or if have activated the specific option of run Fnis always as Administrator. Another critical point is if we have the DEP (Data Execution Protection) activated or deactivated or if the user has excluded Fnis, Skyrim and Skse_loader from DEP, because that can solve all the problems.

DEP only can be enabled or disabled on 32 bits program's, any 64 bit executable always have DEP enabled.

The Error 76, normally is fired from the low level of the operating system or from the antivirus program, when MO want make a specific operation that are allowed ONLY when some exclusions has been made in the configuration, and the error is translated to MO that transfer it to Fnis that finally say "Error 76 == Someone not allow me access/change/write in this file..."

I use MO2, I have both my skyrim file and MO's file outside of programmes, (I knew there was a reason I did that lol) and have excluded the entirety of those files from windows anti-virus scans, I'm not sure exactly where my FNIS is located tho, I've had it for ages, version 7.6 XXL.

I will have to confirm where My FNIS is located when I have more time.

8 hours ago, AnonAngelion said:

I use MO2, I have both my skyrim file and MO's file outside of programmes

In case it's helpful for people trying to figure this out: 

MO2 - C:\Modding\Skyrim Mods\mods.  I manually set this up when installing MO2 just as a convenience. 

Skyrim - in Program Files.  Typical Steam installation, in Steam folder in the Programs Files

Adding Windows Defender exceptions for the folders didn't help for me, as noted above.

This is what is contained in my fnis debugdata file.

DebugOutput=1
InputLineDeb=0
OutputLineDeb=0
FromTemplate=0
ToTemplate=9999

Just checked.  Mine is exactly the same.  Mine is working fine with my changes previously listed. 

Edited by ttts1
17 hours ago, krocoz said:

Using MO2 v2.4.2, the error has gone by adding the whole MO2 data folder on Windows Defender's Exclusions items. Make sure to reboot FNIS and MO2 after that.

So I looked at the error code again, it says 'C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\temporary_logs\DebugData.txt', as the thread title mentions, then I stumbled across something odd that I never noticed before.

Looking in the "Data" section of MO2, where it shows the virtual data file, I located the presence of the DebugData.txt file, however, when I hovered over it, it reveals the apparent location of it, which apparently wasn't where FNIS was expectng it to be.

In MO2, it is saying that it is located in 'AppData/Local/ModOrganiser/Skyrim/overwrite/tools/GenerateFNIS_for_Users/temporary_logs'.

I have not personally placed the DebugData.txt in the overwrite file, FNIS must have generated that itself, is it meant to do that?

I cannot actually find where MO2 is storing the mods I have installed into it, I know MO2 doesn't obviously apply mod files directly to the game data folder, but there should surely be a folder inside MO2's folder containing the mods that it is injecting into the game, but I can't find it, I've looked in every file of MO2 using "File Explorer" and have found zilch.

I was trying to confirm whether the DebugData.txt was "Really" contained with MO2 or if it was just saying it was, I don't know anymore... this is all so confusing.

I've excluded the entire folders where skyrim and MO2 are located and the error persists, the only fix I've found is when I turn Real Time Protection off, nothing else has worked for me (-_-)

9 hours ago, AnonAngelion said:

In MO2, it is saying that it is located in 'AppData/Local/ModOrganiser/Skyrim/overwrite/tools/GenerateFNIS_for_Users/temporary_logs'.

Yes, I think that is the default?  I noticed that the first time I installed mods through MO2 a week ago.  In MO2, if you right click a mod and select "Open in Explorer" it will open the file location so you can see the address.  I couldn't find mods when I was struggling to install everything when I got back into Skyrim last week.  The AppData/Local/... was a hidden folder and no wonder I couldn't find the files.  All Nexus downloads (linked to MO2) and mod files where there. 

I set up a new "Modding" folder to make it easier to manage and changed the settings in MO2 to recognize this. 

I moved FNIS into the specific folder it said it was looking for and that was part of what worked for me.  I couldn't figure out any other way.  I added the "Output" folder so that MO2 would know where to look since the mods were in the "Modding" folder I created and not the Skyrim install folder, otherwise (I think) FNIS may work but MO2 wouldn't know where the file FNIS generates is located. 

Edit:  in light of @alex77r4's post after this, my MO2 install was using the C:\Users\[User_Name]\AppData\Local... path.

Edited by ttts1
clarifying information

That is exactly your problem. AppData is a user based folder, that mean, the exact location of the folder depend of the user that make login in the computer and, of course, is under UAC control. Seems that you have multiple users in your computer or you have a bad installation of MO.

The real location of the AppData folder is C:\Users\[User_Name]\AppData\Local\[Program_Name]

The real location of the AppData folder is C:\Users\[User_Name]\AppData\LocalLow\[Program_Name]

The real location of the AppData folder is C:\Users\[User_Name]\AppData\Roaming\[Program_Name]

Is a folder to allow use the same computer and the same programs by different persons, storing data in different folder, one per each user.

Additionally, allow store different type of data, depending of normal data, low level data or a copy of data stored in web servers.

Of course, that folder is outside the folders that you are excluding in the Windows Antivirus and, probably, if you exclude it in the Antivirus go to make nothing because is a personal folder, under UAC control, and probably, your Error 76 is fired from UAC and not fired from the Antivirus.

I have that folder in my computer, but is empty. I have nothing in that folder. Because my MO configuration is this:

Spoiler

image.png.b936adceec437a9be2b8bafcc9cbba57.png

I not sure why you have your overwrite folder in AppData but is the motive of all yours problems. Try change your configuration.

Edited by alex77r4