Known Fix: FNIS "ERROR(76): Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\temporary_logs\DebugData.txt'."

33 minutes ago, commodore128d3 said:

Win10 the culprit and defender. Turning it off and the creature pack installed.

Many Thanks to All for the invaluable info.

So you are completely defenseless against virus, hacks, and other problems? 

I think what some people are doing is giving an exemption to the folder through Defender, not turning it off.  If you turn it off you may run into who knows what kinds of problems.

I did post a solution on the first page that worked for me that does not involve any exemptions from security programs.  3rd or 4th post in the thread, I think.  If that doesn't work maybe try the exemption. 

But regardless, adding an exemption should work and I seriously would not turn off the entire WIN Defender program.   

Edited by ttts1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2021 at 12:49 PM, AnonAngelion said:

After getting this error myself and hearing others having the same issue I have decided to put forward the solution I found for this particular error.

It was apparently caused by Windows 10 forcibly updating regardless of anyones settings and turning on "Real time protection", to fix, this must be turned back off.

1. Left click "Start".

2. Click "Settings".

3. Click "Update and Security".

4. Click "Windows Security".

5. Click "Virus and Threat Protection".

6. Scroll to "Virus and Threat Protection Settings".

7. Underneath this, press "Manage Settings".

8. Finally, under "Real Time Protection", turn the switch "Off".

Be aware that it states that this can only be temporarily turned off, if problem happens again, remember to check this setting once more.

I do not know how long the above setting can be turned off for, or if there is a way to turn it off permanently, but for anyone struggling to find a solution, this is the best I have found.

EDIT: Down below is Marg597's solution for this issue, it should be more permanent than the aforementioned one, good luck all and happy modding. :)

All the best from 2022. Windows... never boring.
Turning off realtime fixed it for me despite having exclusions made for the directories already.

On 1/27/2022 at 2:00 AM, rabbit25 said:

Sorry to revive this thread, but I tried all the suggestions above; still no go. :dissapointed: What finally worked for me was setting fnis to run in compatibility mode for win7. Hopefully this may help anyone that still has this issue. I've been looking for a fix for this one for months now. Even going as far as deleting my entire SE profiles. What a pain.

Thanks, all above isnt working for me, your solution is working good!! for those who want to give it a try;

1. Right click FNIS from MO mod list then open file in explorer,

2. Go to Fnis\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users,

3. Find GenerateFNISforUsers.exe,

4. Right click properties, on the Compatibility tab tick 'Run this program in compatibility mode for' Windows 7,

5. Apply and Ok, all done, try it again.

Edited by shiningfang
detailed instructions
On 9/29/2021 at 8:22 PM, ttts1 said:

I've tried this and it didn't solve my issue.  Same error message:  ERROR(76): Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\temporary_logs\DebugData.txt'

Using MO2.

I've tried (per suggestions on various sites):

A) Turn off Windows Security/Defender:  No change

B) Add Windows Defender process exception:  No change.

C) Adding "Output" folder (via Overwrite) and selecting that the "Create files in mod instead of overwrite" in executable:  No change.

D) per the installation video on the Nexus download page for FNIS, I manually installed and edited the INI to force the use of the "Output" folder:  No change. 

What worked for me:

1) Uninstall FNIS (obviously)

2) Manual install in the "Data" files from the FNIS mod into the "Data" folder of the actual game install.  For me, it is within the SteamApps\common\SkyrimSpecialEdition folder.  (Don't worry about the FNIS sturff outside the data folder, they are simply "readme" files).

3) Set up the Executable in MO2.  I haven't used other mod managers, I would presume it's the same for them? 

4) Same as "C" listed above.  In the Executable, I set an "Output" folder I created via MO2.

FNIS ran for me, I'm going to test it in game.  I wanted to put this down before I forgot the steps.  I've been working on this for about 6 hours or so and I'm losing my mind at this point. 

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...
On 1/26/2022 at 1:00 PM, rabbit25 said:

Sorry to revive this thread, but I tried all the suggestions above; still no go. :dissapointed: What finally worked for me was setting fnis to run in compatibility mode for win7. Hopefully this may help anyone that still has this issue. I've been looking for a fix for this one for months now. Even going as far as deleting my entire SE profiles. What a pain.

HOLY FUCK, THANK YOU!  Been all but pulling my hair out for the last 2 hours, and just tried this and it fucking worked.  You're fucking awesome, dude!

On 2/10/2022 at 5:12 AM, shiningfang said:

Thanks, all above isnt working for me, your solution is working good!! for those who want to give it a try;

1. Right click FNIS from MO mod list then open file in explorer

2. Go to Fnis\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users

3. Edit compatibility mode to win 7

Done, try it again.

This worked for me too, thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2022 at 6:12 AM, shiningfang said:

Done, try it again.

THANK YOU! This worked! 

I had the same error showing up "ERROR(76): Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\temporary_logs\DebugData.txt'." and fixed it by simply moving my MO2 folder from LocalDiskC:>Modding>MO2 to "InsertYourAccount">AppData>Local>ModOrganizer>SkyrimSE (can't remember whether "LocalDiskC:>Modding>MO2" is a location I chose to place it in because FNIS doesn't work from program files, or whether this is its default location...)

I honestly have no idea how it worked, I just thought that maybe the DebugData was supposed to be read from somewhere where it wasn't stored, and I also remembered seeing this MO folder in AppData so I gave it a try.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...
On 2/10/2022 at 12:12 PM, shiningfang said:

Done, try it again.

Kaching!!!  That did it! Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

I tried everything - gave up and reverted to Vortex for Skyrim SE. I now only use MO2 for Fallout 4.

Too old and stressed to bother redoing my Skyrim install yet again.

Nothing wrong with using different mod managers for different games.

I do slightly miss the ease of managing load order in MO2, but not as much as FNIS reliably working every time in Vortex.

turning off real time protection and adding a million different exceptions didnt help but installing both nemesis and fnis in the skyrim data folder did and allowed me to run both (first fnis, then nemesis). creatures seem to work fine and so does the true directional movement's nemesis exclusive leaning and headtracking features. unfortunately both fnis and nemesis dump their files into the data folder ignoring the separate output folders in mo so things are a bit messy.

On 7/10/2022 at 7:35 AM, Asrienda said:

Just FYI, got this error and fixed it by running MO2 as administrator. 

Should never be a thing unless you're running something from program files/86, which you should not.

ever.

For any game.

On 7/12/2022 at 11:08 AM, ungodlytomato said:

turning off real time protection and adding a million different exceptions didnt help but installing both nemesis and fnis in the skyrim data folder did and allowed me to run both (first fnis, then nemesis). creatures seem to work fine and so does the true directional movement's nemesis exclusive leaning and headtracking features. unfortunately both fnis and nemesis dump their files into the data folder ignoring the separate output folders in mo so things are a bit messy.

aaaaaaaand it doesnt work anymore. fucking windows

edit: i had mo2 installed on a different hard drive. did a reinstall and put it where my skyrim and the mo2 mods folders are and it works.

what a roller coaster.

Edited by ungodlytomato

Turning off the real time protection of Windows Defender fixed the problem (DebugData.txt not found, when running FNIS from MO2) for me, which is really strange, because i have multiple standalone game folders with MO2 instances, but this problem I only had in one these folders. I wonder, why only in one folder, and not in all.

• 1 month later...

So I finally see this annoying issue  and actually turn off real time check (Defender) worked for me^^;

I set up MO2 and skyrim game dir my custom directory (no default app dir), and install FNIS in MO2 mod dir

, and I actually have set Fnis.ini (though I set path as MO2 overwrite path)

FNIS seems try to serch the DebugData.txt in my user default app data directory...(of course there is no such file, but actually it have been generated in my mod over-write dir ^^;)

I changed my PC, then at same time I removed anti viurs soft , , then now I need to use Defender Only.

Do not know how I can exclude MO2 mod directories from Defender... (so I can keep run defender real time)

=====

OK now I could manage it,,

From Windoes setting >> update and security >> there was esclude setting to stop serch directory or file.

Then I set, these 2 directory (it seems exclude sub-dir too)

1 is my mo2 mod install dir

2 is my skyrim SE game dir 

(I think, 1 seems actually work to solve this problem, but I just add both as exclude)

exclude.JPG.4ffc63de8495205b037c6b4914b476be.JPG

After that now I can keep run Defender, but these 2 folda seems excluded >> so FNIS can find the DebugData.txt (though do not know detail ...)

Edited by greenmango12
  • 2 weeks later...

both fnis and nemesis have stopped working again for me but i found a workaround. whether it will work fine from now on or if it's just temporary like everything else i've tried who knows hehe.

1. i downloaded the "Mod Organizer 2 (Standalone Version)" located at the bottom of the download section at mo2 nexus page. it loaded my existing skyrim ae profile and all the mods that i use.

2. ran fnis and nemesis (both were installed like any other mod would be in mo). something didn't go well and they failed.

3. i moved the fnis' tools folder and nemesis_engine folder into my skyrim ae data folder.

4. it worked! both fnis and nemesis generated all the animations files successfully into their own mo virtual folders (so not into skyrim/data!)

of course to organize my mods and play the game i still use the newest mo2.

hope it helps.

Edited by ungodlytomato
  • 2 months later...
On 9/29/2021 at 2:49 PM, AnonAngelion said:

After getting this error myself and hearing others having the same issue I have decided to put forward the solution I found for this particular error.

It was apparently caused by Windows 10 forcibly updating regardless of anyones settings and turning on "Real time protection", to fix, this must be turned back off.

1. Left click "Start".

2. Click "Settings".

3. Click "Update and Security".

4. Click "Windows Security".

5. Click "Virus and Threat Protection".

6. Scroll to "Virus and Threat Protection Settings".

7. Underneath this, press "Manage Settings".

8. Finally, under "Real Time Protection", turn the switch "Off".

Be aware that it states that this can only be temporarily turned off, if problem happens again, remember to check this setting once more.

I do not know how long the above setting can be turned off for, or if there is a way to turn it off permanently, but for anyone struggling to find a solution, this is the best I have found.

EDIT: Down below is Marg597's solution for this issue, it should be more permanent than the aforementioned one, good luck all and happy modding. :)

On 9/29/2021 at 4:17 PM, Sgt. Marge said:

Here's a better way, you can set up exclusions in Windows Security for the executable and processes you are using.  For myself, I've set it up for FNIS, the mod manager and any other little things I run through it, including the Game exe and skse loader.  Here are some instructions I jotted down recently to help.

Both of you thank you so much! I have made exclusion files for everything modding related, and everything went smooth!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2021 at 8:37 AM, AnonAngelion said:

Thank you very much for this info, I just added exclusions for the things in ur list that I have, I'm still trying to locate fnis through the file explorer and will add one for it as well once I find it.

Hopefully by the sound of things this might make my game smoother for not having potential scans running in the background? I wasn't even aware that it did this quite so intrusively.

It's odd that this real time protection thing has suddenly become a problem now, microsoft must have tweaked what their software looks for, as I don't believe I have ever had to perform any changes to windows antivirus to play skyrim until now.

In any case, thank you again for the added info, it was concise and helpful. :)

P.S I don't often make these threads, but if I knew how I would pin you're comment so that it stays at the forefront of this thread.

EDIT: Unfortunately in my case, excluding the files you mentioned including the "GenerateFNISForUsers.exe" did not work, FNIS still throws up an error stating that it cannot find part of a DebugData.txt file which I have confirmed the existance of, the error persists only until I do the aforementioned fix.

Before reverting to the previous fix, I also tried excluding the DebugData.txt in case the anti-virus was messing with it somehow, but fnis still got the error, I'm not sure what more I can do, I have excluded all the files that u showed plus the debug file and fnis.exe with no luck.

I tried to set the Exclusions, I think they are helping, but I still got the FNIS Error 76. I turned off the Win 10 Real Time Protection temporarily. It works, for several error 76 items. I'm using Windows 10, GOG Skyrim 1.6.659, MO2, FNIS. When I'm through working with FNIS I will turn the Real Time Protection back on. 

Thanks AnonAngelion and all others working on this problem.