Things to Consider While Thinking of Moving to Another Country?

I've lived in the U.S. most of my life with just a few stays in other countries that were not more than vacations really. But for more reasons than I care to go in to, I feel like moving and think I'd prefer a non-English speaking country so I can brush up on my language skills and just see/experience something very different. I know some of you might have experience moving to a new country to stay and I thought I might ask for some insight into the subject. Since I really have no idea where to move at this point, I can't give any specific details. So maybe just some general advice please. And thank you in advance.

10 minutes ago, Alkpaz said:

South Korea

I have an old friend living there so maybe. Japan is fucking crazy according to my cousin who's lived there for years and they tend to have a low opinion of westerners. Not sure I like the idea of being that close to China. Thought about Brazil one time, but they're hit hard right now.

One thing that you should keep in mind besides a verbal language barrier and a cultural barrier is a body language barrier. You may perform an action which has little meaning in the USA which can cause grave offense elsewhere such as displaying the soles of your feet prominently to strangers or turning your back at the wrong time. 

It is best to study on those things before even considering visiting a culture radically different than the one of your birth let alone relocating there indefinitely. 

8 minutes ago, FauxFurry said:

One thing that you should keep in mind besides a verbal language barrier and a cultural barrier is a body language barrier. You may perform an action which has little meaning in the USA which can cause grave offense elsewhere such as displaying the soles of your feet prominently to strangers or turning your back at the wrong time. 

It is best to study on those things before even considering visiting a culture radically different than the one of your birth let alone relocating there indefinitely. 

Good advice. Citizenship is another thing I'm wondering about. I know it's different for each country and I kinda want to hang on to mine for awhile I think.

One thing I'd consider high on my list would be the language that you'd need to learn. Next to English and Mandarin, Spanish is pretty high on the numbers of native speakers and is relatively easy to learn (the basics at least). There are a lot of Spanish speaking countries around the world too.

I found this which might be a useful reference for you, not just for Spanish: https://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/countries_by_languages.htm#Spanish

There's also cost of living, and cultureal differences in food, and manners. Do not expect things to be the same has they are here in the USA. Examble. I lived in the Azores for years back in the 80's. One of things that surprised me was the difference in outlook on a lot of things. Soda was NOT a everyday drink at home but special treats instead, while a form of wine was served at almost every meal. This I discovered had a very interesting effect on their young adults and adults when they went to clubs. More often then not, those glasses of drinks they would be sipping on would be stright soda, not mixed drinks. In fact, where I was, the attatude was if you was tall enough to walk into a bar and put your money on the counter, you was served. Because of this, they did not have the underage drinkers out and about, trying to get there friends to buy them beer wine and liqour and then going off and throwing wild drinking parties. No, they was having soda parties. Same with tabaccoo. Then there is the food. If I went to the local grocery store to get milk, I didn't head to the fridges, no I headed to the grocery shelves. There, milk, because of the way it's treated does not required to be kept in a fridge. And cooking .... they seasoned things much differently. It like walking into a pasta eatery in Italy and getting pissed because it's not Olive Garden. And even holidays can be very different. Really study up on any place you consider moving too.

things to consider:

- language

- body language, hand gestures, etc

- culture

- food / drinks

- social standards

- public transport / driving your own car, bike, etc

- house- / apartment sizes

- pets

- job / how to earn money / how to make a living (is your school graduation or job accepted over "there" ? ) do you need permission to work?

- insurance (car, health, apartment, etc)

Since I travel a lot for my job (I am from germany) to many "far away" countries like South America, Asia, Russia, etc, I often run into social difficulties.

e.g. how to behave and what (not) to do when you are in a group - digging deeper: are those colleagues from work or friends?

How are you supposed to react to the other gender? How to greet them? Giving a handshake, kiss on the cheek and so on.

If you really consider moving to another country for several years (or the rest of your life): take a trip over there, vacation, 3 or 4 weeks or even more. Find a guide over there, let him/her show you around, tell you about the live, social behavior, etc etc. And if you really want to move there, please please f-ing learn the language BEFORE moving :D at least six months training. Nothing's worse than somebody moving to a foreign country and not (at least) speaking the language. Reading is also important, for reading contracts etc

29 minutes ago, endgameaddic†ion said:

Money. Some countries are very very strict upon those who want to become citizens of their country. They want people to be an asset, not a liability.

I think I want to live somewhere off the beaten path in a more laid back atmosphere. I don't mind roughin it a little since I'm basically from the sticks anyway. I'd like to go somewhere that my us currency is at a favorable exchange so I can make the most of my meager savings and figure I can scrape together about $20,000- $30,000 with some luck. Don't plan on taking a lot of things with me since I don't own much.

Right now the best place is probably the Philippines if you're considering money/lifestyle and the way the nationals will treat you.  BUT I lived in Phuket Thailand for a year back in the late 80's and it was horrible after the 'new' wore off.  You'll get tired of seeing only Malay girls pretty quick.  I was ready for white women, cold weather and real food when I left.  I had the chance to move to Russia in the early 90's and I didn't.  I regret not going and now it's too late; they've tightened up immigration.

tbh - if I ever would consider to migrate / move to another country I would totally move to Sweden or Norway.

good money, good social security, very open hearted and open minded people

and at least most of them speak english

lovely nature, but also big modern cities

Sweden/Norway.  Hope you like African Muslims, no-go zones and 'you'e on your own' policing.  If you're looking at Europe you might as well stay in the U.S.  I've never been to Poland but from what I understand the people are stiff towards foreigners.  You wouldn't like the Ukraine, Czech Republic or Georgia.  Never went to Romania, Slovenia, Serbia.  Hungary was REALLY enjoyable and the people were nice.

Finland and Lithuania look promising and the next time I go to Saint Petersburg I'm making it a point to visit them.

Really helps if you have family or friends in your destination country already. An enormous amount, in so many ways.

I don't know how common that is worldwide, it's not uncommon where I'm from given the historical links between the countries. I sometimes think I have more family here than back home.

I had planned an internship in Japan this winter, however due to WuFlu/CCP-Virus/Covid Japan closed its borders for most countries.

The only countries that are not on their ban list are countries that closed their borders early against the recommendations of the WHO.

So atm there is close to no way to get into japan. If you some rare high skill deep sea mining dude then there is a chance that they let you stay for two weeks in some quarantine facility an then you can work there. My country allowed again Japanese people to enter it with the deal that Japan would do the same. The issue is that my country is a member of the EU and thus high covid risk people could bypass the ban and come over my country to japan--> Japan said no.

I also want to move into another country--> to Japan.

I have learned the language, culture manners, have some useful skills  and want to be a productive member of their society.

But because of selective immigration it is a relatively high fence you have to jump over.

On the other side, it prevents the kind of people I don't want to have their from entering the Japan.

You have to have a company that is your employer(you have to have a job).

You will never be a Japanese national, you only get a permanent recidency status(kind of a permanent visa) after some years in which you have proven that you can take care of yourself, this way they can get rid of you if you turn out to be a*insert curse word*.

If you started a family there they will not throw you out, given you did not commit a crime. (and if first you go to prison, no minority bonuses, and then get kicked out)

It just bothers me right know that the internship might be either cancelled or that I have to wait until there is vaccine. 

If you’d consider somewhere tropical at all, try Taiwan. Being a former Japanese colony with European (Spanish/Dutch/Portuguese) settlements prior, and now governed by a Mandarin speaking population, my country has a variety of cultures. You get to experience a bit of everything. We’ve also been maintaining an ever-improving relation with the USA. 

Contrary to China’s xenophobia and supremacism, my people are generally curious about foreigners. Most of our younger generations (like myself) also speak English to a degree, and we’d be lucky to have visitors such as your family.

We’ve also been keeping record-low COVID cases. I’d like to think that we’re doing slightly better than our friends in South Korea, but we all learn from each other, right?

I’d be glad to provide further info thru private messages if you’re interested. Good day.

On 8/2/2020 at 9:32 AM, KoolHndLuke said:

Japan is fucking crazy according to my cousin who's lived there for years and they tend to have a low opinion of westerners.

Hate to say it, but I think you'll find racism pretty much everywhere you go.  It's deeply ingrained in such cultures as Japan where isolationism is the norm.  Isolationism, of course, leads directly to us vs. them mentality, just like what we have here in the U.S..  Any time there's a basic lack of understanding of someone else, really.

Re citizenship, it's perfectly possible in some places to simply buy citizenship, and not have to disavow one's country of birth in the process.

As for the Scandinavian countries, on my last trip to Denmark, I found that while Danish was indeed the national language, and it's required for people moving there to learn Danish within three (?) years, English is the most common language, even among Danes.  The ones I interacted with (family/friends) spoke English very well, with little accent.  Hell, even the Germans spoke English when necessary (though their accents were heavier).  Oh, and stuff's expensive, of course.  A single scoop ice cream cone was $5 equivalent, and this was at least five years ago.  Probably more like ten now.

Don't know how you are about self-protection, but in Denmark, it's illegal to have a knife, due to, you guessed it, the immigrant gangs.  Speaking of immigrants, it's a totally different world after a certain time of night.  Basically the locals/nationals go in, and the immigrants come out.  Personally, while I absolutely love the country, I carry a knife everywhere I go.  It's a tool I use constantly, and not having one would be a serious burden.  So moving there is definitely off my list.

Do a LOT of research.  Gestures aren't the only way to get yourself in loads of trouble in a big hurry.

Oh, and don't forget that websites such as this one are blocked in many countries.

There's got to be plenty of communications out there on this subject where people from a certain country help people from another certain country work through the questions you have.  Look around, I'm sure it's available somewhere.

On 8/4/2020 at 2:13 AM, Kendo 2 said:

I've never been to Poland but from what I understand the people are stiff towards foreigners.

That's true, but most of us like Americans so no one should bother you. Also we have dirt cheap booze and our methamphetamine is the best in all of Europe. If that doesn't convince you then I give up.

13 minutes ago, Alkpaz said:

Is it blue? If it isn't blue, then it isn't pure meth. I am looking for quality meth, the kind that makes you stay up for days on end while I pick felt out of my carpet. 

It's not blue, but it WILL keep you awake for days. If it wears off then cure it with a few beers, which are dirt cheap. Tested. Multiple times. Plus first time is free.

On 8/7/2020 at 8:14 AM, NickNozownik said:

That's true, but most of us like Americans so no one should bother you. Also we have dirt cheap booze and our methamphetamine is the best in all of Europe. If that doesn't convince you then I give up.

Also women that punch back.

One other problem you should look at. The US does not grant dual citizenship to any country. It's a SHORT list. Look into that if dual citizenship is your goal. 

I also agree with others too.... travel to the country first. Spend a few weeks there. Most western European countries you will be somewhat with. And English is spoken throughout. Though things ARE different in France, Germany, Spain, etc, etc. Also try and have a job lined up before you leave. This could be VERY difficult to do depending on what you do.

And one more thing.. the job... have you look at taxes, insurance, etc, etc?

One country I would not suggest at all is the UK. Not now. Also COVID will play an issue. I think the ban on travel from the US is still in place in many countries. And who knows when COVID will end (if ever).

PS: If you really want to rough it..have you looked at Africa? Despite what the current POTUS says, most African countries are not shit holes (I can list the ones I would not set foot in, if you want). Africa is VERY diverse: the north is VERY different then the south or mid. Same with the coasts - both coasts.

- Language. Seriously, I don't know why people choose to move to a foreign country without decent understanding of the language spoken there. It just makes things harder for you - learn the language before you move.
- Knowledge of the culture. If it's a country like Japan, learn do's, don'ts, taboos and etiquette of said country. A wise man once said, don't be a cunt.
- Be a tourist for a while. Visit the country, stay there for a month or two, get a feel of it. See if after that time it's as great of an idea as it seemed.
- Budget. As tempting as it is to go out there with minimal budget and have an "adventure", it rarely works in your favor.

The basic stuff really, as already covered in this thread. Language barrier and many potential awkward scenarios, cultural differences and walking on eggshells until you get a decent understanding of it. Cost of living or just living conditions in general. A good idea for available facilities and resources for potential emergencies. Stuff like that.