Things to Consider While Thinking of Moving to Another Country?

Don´t plan too much.. I moved to Spain onn a "fuckthisshiti´mouttahere" motion and just took my dog with me.. could´nt even speak the lingo.. and here  i am.. nice house in the mountains, sweet neighbours ( half a mile away) food is great and every one is helpful.. so.. my advice.. don´t think too much.. just do it and fuck all the worries.. you´ll have other stuff to worry about but.. at least you´re making your life YOURS.. go, anywhere but, just go..

• 4 weeks later...

Everyone else has hit the main points. The only things I would add on top of their recommendations are to look into how taxes will work.  Apparently our money laundering laws got upgraded a few years back, so the IRS is making people abroad jump through a lot more accounting hoops than they used to, to the point where citizenship renunciations have spiked because it is so difficult to deal with them now.

Another thing I would look into are what kind of rights you will have over there, and probably make sure you have contact info for the local US embassy/consulate if you get in trouble.  Obviously, don't act the fool abroad(or at home tbh), but it is better to get ready for how to handle some worst case scenarios and not need that than the other way around.

13 hours ago, Z0mBieP00Nani said:

Do I get to own guns and can I own them in fully automatic?

That's something to consider.

If I can get a 16 yr old kid to sell me a gun on the street for $100, then I know I need a gun or two. Rather have a gun and not need it, then to need a gun and not have it.

16 hours ago, Z0mBieP00Nani said:

Do I get to own guns and can I own them in fully automatic?

That's something to consider.

yeah, because every country in the world is f*cked up with stupid private owned weapons, like the USA
considering Europe there is absolutely no f-ing need for guns, no reason at all

just for a comparison, if you think you need a firearm elsewhere:
- the (whole) german police (around 250.000 police officers) fired 19 shoots in 2018
- only 0,12% of the murders in 2018 in Germany was a firearm involved. That means, that only every 150.000th firearm (legaley private owned) kills another person

- btw. fully automatic firearms are completely forbidden throughout Europe, for personal/private use, as they are considered as "weapons of war" and no civilian has any right to own these weapons

so, tell me, why would you need to have a (fully automatic) firearm? and if you really want to move to a country, where you need a gun to "protect yourself", you really should consider not to move there...

1 hour ago, thaclone said:

"Yeah, because every country in the world is f*cked up with stupid private owned weapons, like the USA
considering Europe there is absolutely no f-ing need for guns, no reason at all"

"So, tell me, why would you need to have a (fully automatic) firearm? and if you really want to move to a country, where you need a gun to "protect yourself", you really should consider not to move there..."

Europe? You mean that place that lets in illegal low skill low IQ migrants from the Middle East and other war torn parts of the world by the thousands each year? You mean that place where some areas are "off limits" to white Europeans and the local police force because migrants have literally taken over said areas? You mean that place that has turned a blind eye to child sex trafficking rings run by said migants BECAUSE they are migrants and have even gone so far as to cover up said problem FOR DECADES?

Yes why would I want to own guns in such a place?

Why automatic weapons?...

For fun, that's  why.. and they are more effective, though with a bump stock I suppose I could get the same kind of effect out of any semiautomatic weapon.

Not sure how much you've been paying attention to things in America besides all of that, but currently we've been having issues with violent riots and the elected officials in charge choosing to do nothing in certain cities, not to mention the attempted take over of a communist government through the Democratic party.

There's never a bad reason to own guns really. Those who can not stand up to others are subject to the rule of others.

On 8/2/2020 at 9:09 AM, KoolHndLuke said:

I've lived in the U.S. most of my life with just a few stays in other countries that were not more than vacations really. But for more reasons than I care to go in to, I feel like moving and think I'd prefer a non-English speaking country so I can brush up on my language skills and just see/experience something very different. I know some of you might have experience moving to a new country to stay and I thought I might ask for some insight into the subject. Since I really have no idea where to move at this point, I can't give any specific details. So maybe just some general advice please. And thank you in advance.

Just find yourself an island.  Every place that I heard of that was an ideal place to live got overrun by wealthy Americans.  They are no longer ideal.  Or, there's the Australian Outback.  Do ya feel lucky?

Now that is think about it, Australia has one of the more stringent immigration policies, so I've heard.  But, if go there, get "lost" in the Outback for five years, and of course survive it, you automatically become a citizen.  Don't know how true this is, but that sounds like something the Aussies would come up with.

On 9/23/2020 at 1:53 PM, Z0mBieP00Nani said:

Europe? You mean that place that lets in illegal low skill low IQ migrants from the Middle East and other war torn parts of the world by the thousands each year? You mean that place where some areas are "off limits" to white Europeans and the local police force because migrants have literally taken over said areas? You mean that place that has turned a blind eye to child sex trafficking rings run by said migants BECAUSE they are migrants and have even gone so far as to cover up said problem FOR DECADES?

Yes why would I want to own guns in such a place?

Why automatic weapons?...

For fun, that's  why.. and they are more effective, though with a bump stock I suppose I could get the same kind of effect out of any semiautomatic weapon.

Not sure how much you've been paying attention to things in America besides all of that, but currently we've been having issues with violent riots and the elected officials in charge choosing to do nothing in certain cities, not to mention the attempted take over of a communist government through the Democratic party.

There's never a bad reason to own guns really. Those who can not stand up to others are subject to the rule of others.

well, that nearly every US citizen has a racist issue is well known ;)

and why do you need guns in the US? because a law from a hundred years ago (or older) allows you to own them... if nobody had a gun, nobody would need a gun - that's pretty simple to understand.
but since the US is a voilent country, you wouldn't understand it. yes, people kill people, bla bla, but they use guns for it.

and why do we let in people from war torn countries? because the need our help and from time to time, it is because of stupid and "we bring peace to a peaceful country because they have oil" american wars in middle east countries.
at least we try to help people in need and don't build a wall. and yes, there may be some assholes that do illegal stuff, but no every illegal activity is run by them, we have enough "european dirtbags" overhere, that did and still do pretty shitty stuff.

and believe me, you over there in the states also have enough "brave patriotic americans" that run drug and sex cartells ;) you don't need migrants for this shit

so, yes, I can assure you, you don't need any guns in Europe - and believe me, I've been to nearly every country in europe and never had the urge to "need a gun"

but this discussion could go on forever and would not help the topic at all - US and Europe are two complete different cultures

20 hours ago, cailic said:

Just find yourself an island.  Every place that I heard of that was an ideal place to live got overrun by wealthy Americans.  They are no longer ideal.  Or, there's the Australian Outback.  Do ya feel lucky?

Now that is think about it, Australia has one of the more stringent immigration policies, so I've heard.  But, if go there, get "lost" in the Outback for five years, and of course survive it, you automatically become a citizen.  Don't know how true this is, but that sounds like something the Aussies would come up with.

well... usually Australia sounds nice, despite that nearly every freaking animal wants to kill you :D
spiders, snakes, scopions and so on ^^ if you are into that, no problem ?

On 9/25/2020 at 4:33 AM, thaclone said:

well, that nearly every US citizen has a racist issue is well known ;)

If you're saying that we have issues with groups of idiots running around accusing everyone and our founding fathers of racism, then you are correct. If you're saying that nearly everyone here is racist, then you are completely ignorant. Racial prejudice was really starting to disappear in this country until this year.

Referring to Europe as the center of cultural enlightenment is actually pretty amusing since the America's and Australia were quite literally filled with people Europe rejected for one ideological/cultural reason or another until they were quite sure they would be greeted by like minded, fair skinned, culturally accepted countrymen everywhere they went. Just because you took in a few displaced refugees doesn't mean you will tolerate them for very long and I'm guessing their "welcome" has been with the quiet understanding of being a temporary arrangement subject to change at the host's earliest convenience.

We've been experimenting with blending our cultural diversity for centuries now and I can say with confidence that America is far ahead of Europe or any other society in it's experience. You laugh and point fingers when things are getting messy for us and then you grumble about us when things are going fairly well in what I can only surmise as a strange fascination that stems from some deep unconscious understanding that you are actually looking at yourselves. We are the pathfinders now and you would do well to watch and learn without judging what you do not understand.

Self defense against criminals is good, but that isn't really why we have guns. Americans have guns because ultimately, a country is ruled by force. The American people are meant to be sovereign in America, not the government, so we need to have the capacity for violence too, and not just the government. The American government exists to serve the American people, the American people do not exist to serve the government. Keep in mind our political culture was established by people who led a successful armed rebellion and were terrified of government tyranny, to the point where they seriously contemplated not having a standing army at all. We've always distrusted our government, from the day it was founded and so the system was setup to limit the government's power.  Basically, the Constitution is a condom, and the 2nd amendment is Plan B for if the condom fails.

To the matter at hand, I would obviously avoid a country where riots are tolerated.  It is one thing if riots happen where you live, but there is no point in moving to someplace like that.  If guns are a deal breaker for you, look up the gun laws in your prospective country and see if that will work for you. That honestly goes for any legal or cultural barriers that would be deal breakers. Not everyone is an American and some countries have radically different customs and legal systems.  When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/25/2020 at 3:03 PM, thaclone said:

but since the US is a voilent country

On 9/23/2020 at 4:00 PM, thaclone said:

considering Europe there is absolutely no f-ing need for guns, no reason at all

so, yes, I can assure you, you don't need any guns in Europe

Really now? Is that how it is? Just how many CNN approved pills have you ingested across the span of your lifetime?

and believe me, I've been to nearly every country in europe

No you haven't. No you fucking haven't. Your views are far too sheltered for that. If you're gonna try and pull one over people, at least make sure it's believable? Would do you much better but let's face it, if you could understand this you probably wouldn't have made such skullbreakingly dumb comments in the first place so maybe i'm asking for too much here.

There would be 2 fundamental things of importance in my book:

1:  Will they have beer, if not fuck dat shit.

2:  Will they have pizza, same as above.

Fit those 2 criteria then I'll give it some thought.  I'm simple that way.  If I find out they have neither my response is usually, "take that country and shoot it into the sun."?

11 hours ago, legendarytoyou said:

There would be 2 fundamental things of importance in my book:

1:  Will they have beer, if not fuck dat shit.

2:  Will they have pizza, same as above.

Fit those 2 criteria then I'll give it some thought.  I'm simple that way.  If I find out they have neither my response is usually, "take that country and shoot it into the sun."?

Well....a person has certainly got to know their priorities. And nothing wrong with simple as it's probably the key to greater happiness.  :beer:

I've been living in China mainland, Hong Kong, and US. Besides langualges and in terms of life styles, I feel all modern cities are quite similar... Differences are too tiny to really be prepared for in advance. 

Cultures are different. So I think the question is more about what culture you like and want to know more about. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/9/2020 at 10:04 AM, Crag said:

PS: If you really want to rough it..have you looked at Africa? Despite what the current POTUS says, most African countries are not shit holes (I can list the ones I would not set foot in, if you want). Africa is VERY diverse: the north is VERY different then the south or mid. Same with the coasts - both coasts.

Mate, just THANK YOU ! The usual shit I read on internet about our continent is just depressing and reeks of ignorance, this is a much appreciated change for once ! You just made my day (night). Much Love !