YOUR GRAPHIC CARD DIED WHO WAS THE MANUFACTURER?

YOUR GRAPHIC CARD DIED WHO WAS THE MANUFACTURER?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. YOUR GRAPHIC CARD DIED WHO WAS THE MANUFACTURER?

Because graphics cards simply dying, I decided to find out which manufacturer was the worst. Maybe this can help someone decide which manufacturer to buy a graphics card from in the future.

I have prepared a small poll, here you can choose from which manufacturer was the graphics card that died.

PS: This is a thread related to graphics cards, off-topic posts are undesirable !

I've only had one (1!) broken card in more than 25 years and that one was sometime before 2000 :classic_huh:

There's still a box of perfectly fine but seriously outdated cards somewhere in the basement. Unless I gave it already to the recycling and forgot about it :classic_unsure:

27 minutes ago, worik said:

I've only had one (1!) broken card in more than 25 years and that one was sometime before 2000 :classic_huh:

There's still a box of perfectly fine but seriously outdated cards somewhere in the basement. Unless I gave it already to the recycling and forgot about it :classic_unsure:

you are a lucky person :classic_biggrin:

List of my broken graphics cards:

GIGABYTE 9800 GT

GIGABYTE GTX 275

GIGABYTE GTX 570

GIGABYTE GTX 670

Now I bought ASUS and I'm waiting for how long it will work ?

12 hours ago, poblivion said:

Because graphics cards simply dying, I decided to find out which manufacturer was the worst. Maybe this can help someone decide which manufacturer to buy a graphics card from in the future.

I have prepared a small poll, here you can choose from which manufacturer was the graphics card that died.

You don't need a poll.

Here are some facts. The best binned nVidia cards are founders. Every other AIB manufacturer has ups and downs and yes engineering matters, but customer service matters most. As a dev who does both gainful-cyclic AND freelance AND contract AND modding AND rendering, I thrash the fuck out of cards routinely, and the part thiat is most important in failure is the wall of text that comes with your card, the warranty. The rest is literally luck of draw and little else.

Anecdotal:

It's kind of ironic that you bought an asus because asus is last in both customer service and build quality. Dead last, hot garbage. As the largest AIB on the planet, Asus deals in gigantic bulk numbers and their quality control reflects this in spades. Their tolerance testing is....  haphazard? half assed? bad? shitty? Pick one. When the card/board does fail, good luck getting a replacement; hell good luck getting someone on the other end of the line that speaks the same language you do, much less getting your product replaced and you sure as hell are not getting your money back. The irony is ASUS getting glowing professional reviews because they send ultra cherry picked samples to reviewers and they've been called on this for twenty years but still do it, but you very very rarely see anyone using ASUS products in stress-test/ benchmark testbeds anymore and there's plenty of reasons why.

The standout to this paradigm is their audio cards and network , and that's because they aren't actually made by ASUS, they're simply branded as such.

ASRock and PNY aren't much better, and frankly you're better off buying a reference version, nevermind ASRock sends bullshit overclock BIOS/golden samples to reviewers and then try to walk things down with "BIOS updates" afterward after frying people's not golden sample regular boards with said "magic review" BIOS samples.

Whilst MSI routinely goes through rough patches in build quality, they generally are fair and receptive with customer support, again provided you can find someone that speaks the same language you do.

At the other end of spectrum is EVGA, whom tend to have very high builds, and absurdly good customer support, up to and including making their own BIOS and drivers, and having an 18hour return/tech line, but you will be paying for it, they're always sold out and they don't deal in AMD at all.

GIGABYTE GTX 570

GIGABYTE GTX 670

If those were in the same board the problem was your board, not the cards.

My NVIDIA graphic card on my old HP laptop got rekt a few years ago while playing Skyrim. I started a new game and everything just froze before I could finish creating my el goblino. After restarting it the screen resolution was set to minimum, I couldn't install any drivers and tl;dr shit got fucked. I don't remember what model it was, I dumped it in my cupboard and I don't want to use this junk ever again. Let it RIP in peas.

To be honest it lasted for quite a while and I'm surprised it didn't break earlier. Keyboards and fans are WAY more problematic with laptops. I have a fairly new one and the A key is already wonky.

@27X

Thank you for a lot of interesting information.

I bought GIGABYTE because it was cheap. I later found out that it would be better to pay extra and buy from another manufacturer.
Both graphics cards (GIGABYTE GTX 570 and GIGABYTE GTX 670) had artifacts. After first died, I bought a better case with better cooling.

Later, I bought a new power supply, new motherboard with a more powerful processor. GTX 670 died four months after the warranty time ?.

Think the last card I had fail on me was a Diamond 3DFX Voodoo 5 5500

I gave away an XFX (I think) GTX 460 that was working when I took it out but was faulty when they installed it.

My old EVGA GTX-970 is still going strong in a friends PC (this has been moved around a lot of PC's since I replaced it with a 980ti)

My Asus RoG 980ti is still working fine in a second PC, probably had this since 2017

Currently running the Asus 1080ti.

My personal/anecdotal (if limited) experience of Asus has (so far) been good, however both these cards were bought used which is always a crap shoot but it would appear I got lucky in both cases, although time will tell on the 1080ti since I've not had it a year yet.

In between the 980ti and 1080ti I briefly owned a Gigabyte 2070Super. I don't know if I had a faulty card or it wasn't compatible with my aging hardware. I erred (probably) on the side of caution as I had seen a list of compatible mother boards for the 2070s and mine wasn't on it and returned it for a refund.

So only true failure I have had was a Diamond 3dfx... In fact, thinking back, I am not sure it actually failed or just didn't like me overclocking it. I remember screen corruption but I also vague memories of installing it in a PC at work as I had no use for it.
It was a long while ago... And I was very, very drunk.

After all that I'll abstain since, even if it did fail, the Manufacturer no longer makes/brands PC hardware (that I know of, if they even still exist) and 3DFX was bought by nVidia and probably shelved.

5 hours ago, poblivion said:

you are a lucky person :classic_biggrin:?

that same applies also to me, many PCs, many graphics cards, mostly from ASUS.
the reason why none is died, always new models *more performance, better quality*, after 3 years at the latest a new graphics card.

my current card "ASUS Dual GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER™ EVO OC Edition 8GB GDDR6"

https://www.asus.com/de/Graphics-Cards/DUAL-RTX2070S-O8G-EVO/

3 hours ago, Mez558 said:

Think the last card I had fail on me was a Diamond 3DFX Voodoo 5 5500

I also had this card in a previous life. when there were these cards.
Elsa Erazor II A16 nVidia Riva TNT 16 MB RAM AGP Retro Video Card Erazor II-A16

Spoiler

200112a.jpg

56 minutes ago, winny257 said:

I also had this card in a previous life. when there were these cards.
Elsa Erazor II A16 nVidia Riva TNT 16 MB RAM AGP Retro Video Card Erazor II-A16

Hide contents

200112a.jpg

I have a drawer full of old PC bits, fans, cables etc and in there somewhere is the Diamond Viper version of this card and a Matrox G400, now to find a mobo with an AGP port.. OK Maybe not.

Sadly I probably could somewhere.

Away from "which is the best" card-it´s nvidia-print-outs/layouts mostly?!...so you get different fans or cooling systems which then makes the "names" of the stuff...take what you LIKE to use, or take what is QUIET working. If you buy a "power-card". in 2D-mode and in skyrim the card will not start the fans-it´s mostly today´s energy-efficience of newer technology....My 1080ti (asus) uses 3 fans and this card is  mostly in low energy-fan-mode. The computer is so much quiet, that I can listen, when suddenly the machine begins to compute....I can listen because of the fan-speed, what is happening inside the box-lol.

It´s not bad to CLEAN the inside and outside of the computer from time to time with a hovercraft. FANS are collecting micro dust-particles, which can be hard, if the air-humidity is increasing. Such a dust can also harm the inside of a computer and btw.electric-contacts are not for all time 100% in function. After one year or little more it´s recommended to clean the inside of a computer with a soft BRUSH and a hovercraft in some small distance, so you get rid of all the dust inside of the box, then. You can unplug and plug back the contacts and check for blank rifles inside some power-supply-plugs. If you have problems, do never use contact-spray, clean contacts with emercy-paper of a very fine degree.

Use only fine power supplies for high-cost-computers and don´t spare at the case and the power-supply itself.

As long you do not let drop down a GPU from out of your hands or touch the surface of the circuit-board, the stuff should be working for minimum 10 years. Computers also need to be cleaned. I have a high end engine (not this modding computer here), which was VERY expensive in the past- I added mostly asus stuff and it was a big investigation of hardware. It´s a  more than 20 years old machine KEEPING on rocking. The only thing i changed between the years was the HDD-stuff with the newer SSD stuff.

Apple computers can die-I had a G5, which spread the legs after about 12 years of intensive use. I guess it is a fuse in the power-supply. I did never check that because IBM-compatible computers are more better-and more flexiable. My spouse uses that G5 as a living room table-stand.

(in the past, I did not buy a titan, because I guessed it has only 1 single fan....this was strange to me)

(before you buy something, you can read a little about the NOISE creation, about energy-consumpting and so on)

6 hours ago, poblivion said:

I bought GIGABYTE because it was cheap.

That was your first mistake. Second is not doing plenty of research. I did weeks of research before I bought the one I'm using now- Sapphire RX 580 8gb Pulse- a solid mid tier card well worth the price. It will serve me a year or so until I upgrade and then I'll turn around and sell it in the old pc with no guilt. :classic_biggrin:

Just another fun thing about production technology. Since lead-free solder is used, cold solder joints are much more common. Lead-free solder is more prone to cracking. Therefore, where reliability and longevity are required, lead solder is still used today. Lead solder is used, for example, in medical devices or in military technology. For example, military radio locators logic board are soldered with lead solder ?.

99% of graphics card failures are caused by a cold solder joint.

PS: I worked in a factory for two years, where parts were assembled and soldered to the motherboards of various devices. It was my worst job I've ever done. There was a hot and strong smell of flux. Two-shift operation even on the weekend and it was poorly paid. Never again such a job ?

7 hours ago, MadMansGun said:

my "Gigabyte GeForce gts 250 1GB" died last year

not sure how old it was......also it died when i was in the Soul Cairn.

This is a very old graphics card, I also had it for a while, but it was quite noisy and it warmed up a lot ?

Years ago I would have said go with XFX but I don't know if it's true anymore, had only one gpu out of several ever die from them and it was well out of warranty and they still took care of it but that was probably 3 years ago. I used to work next door and knew a lot of the people who worked in customer service and they were solid people.

MSI I have never lost anything from MSI so I have no idea how the customer service is because I never called them and I have stuff from 2002 to just a couple of years ago from them.

Gigabyte was good maybe 10 years ago for motherboards, I would probably avoid them now.

ASUS, I have nothing good to say and don't want to be reminded....

EVGA great rma process but had to use it to many times however it was with one particular psu model and everything else I have from them was never a problem.

I've had no problem with ASROCk but that maybe just luck, no idea how the customer service is.