FYI the pause thing was really added as a metamod feature' date=' though using it in actual mods is supported. I added it initially for astymma's positioning mod, so that the user could pause the act, adjust the positions (without the act finishing), and then resume. It wasn't really intended to be used for one mod to control the flow of another in general, as this does have the potential to break other mods if they setup some kind of timer to coincide with how long the act lasts.

[/quote']

Right, well, I'm all for maximum compatibility. I am getting a bit confused though. I have a particular scene in mind where when the pc decides to masturbate, an npc walks over to a good peeping spot and starts to jerk off.

Like this:

I need some exact control over time to keep the pc in place doing her thing while the npc goes to the spot, does his thing, and walks away. Chase's new-Lust seems to be the only mod that will affect duration globally, so it's the main mod I'm trying to avoid conflict with.

- dftime: avoid touching it? ok

- duration: a multiplier - not really what I need

- pause token: would be the way to go, in combo with FinishNow cast after a timer expires. I still need to avoid new-Lust interfering by setting bUseLust to 0. In which case, I should be fine - correct?

Gah.. no that's not going to work.

So what you really want then is like a callback to notify you when there are only X seconds remaining on some sex act, but even that isn't going to work reliably.

Any mod (including the one that started the act) could screw your timing up a little by calling pause after you got notified. It could mess your intended timing up a lot by calling FinishNow before you got notified, in which case, you would never be -- or you would be notified at the same moment the act is ending.

To be honest I'm not to keen on normal "play" mods messing around with pause, finishnow, etc. IMHO it takes away control from the player that rightly belongs with the player. Obviously, without cooperation between mods, it also opens the door to mods screwing each other up.

Legion: Uses pause (or a long duration, not sure) during torture scenes.

Positioning: (tbd) Uses pause to hold the sex act running while the player adjusts position offsets.

Lust: (tbd) Adjusts sex duration based on arousal.

(your mod, Docta): (tbd) Wants to adjust time remaining for the peeper to finish, or be notified ahead of time that the act is about to finish.

I think everyone can see the real potential these have to interfere with each other. It sounds like what is needed is not "more control" over timing and so on, but a way for mods to communicate with one another, so they can cooperate on timing. I don't know if this belongs in Sexout, in SCR, or in a new standalone ESM just used for this purpose. I'm open to suggestions and ideas.

Some of those mods won't be used by everyone. And it seems that might be a significant tweak (I'm no modder, just guessing by descriptions). So my suggestion would be "SexoutTiming.ESM", and any existing or new mods that want to mess with the length of sex for whatever reason tie to it.

I think everyone can see the real potential these have to interfere with each other. It sounds like what is needed is not "more control" over timing and so on' date=' but a way for mods to communicate with one another, so they can cooperate on timing. I don't know if this belongs in Sexout, in SCR, or in a new standalone ESM just used for this purpose. I'm open to suggestions and ideas.[/quote']

Hmm I would think being an animation control it would belong in SexoutNG itself as it's the core animation engine :)

The only thing I might want it for later is contolling the birth animations some people are making but being birth animations they could be classed as masturbation type animations or may be better staying completely seperate residing in Pregnancy or SCR as long as I lockout normal Sexanimations on the actor giving birth.

I think everyone can see the real potential these have to interfere with each other. It sounds like what is needed is not "more control" over timing and so on' date=' but a way for mods to communicate with one another, so they can cooperate on timing. I don't know if this belongs in Sexout, in SCR, or in a new standalone ESM just used for this purpose. I'm open to suggestions and ideas.[/quote']

Hmm I would think being an animation control it would belong in SexoutNG itself as it's the core animation engine :)

The only thing I might want it for later is contolling the birth animations some people are making but being birth animations they could be classed as masturbation type animations or may be better staying completely seperate residing in Pregnancy or SCR as long as I lockout normal Sexanimations on the actor giving birth.

I think you've misunderstood me. This wouldn't add any control to sexout at all, it would simply be a place where mods could communicate with each other without every mod needing every other mod as a master -- or using buildref etc.

For example, a formlist that holds the "don't mess with" actors would be one place to start. Loogie could add code to the tryouts to put actors being tortured in the list, when they are being tortured.

Other mods would look at that list before they try modifying the 'runtime' of an act, and if the actor they want to use is in the list, then they don't/can't use that actor. When the torture is done, the script would remove the actor from the list.

Likewise if there's generic sex happening (like from workinggirl or something) and Docta wants his dude to walk up, wank, and then leave before the act finishes -- he would check the list. Say the actors having sex aren't there, he adds them himself, along with his 'wanker', then does whatever pause/resume magic he needs to do, and removes the actors at the end.

That's just one idea. The authors actually trying to do their magic without stepping on each other will probably have better ones.

No more masters, please.

@pride: I won't be stepping on Loogie's toes (or anyone else that uses set times) if you include a "NonDefaultDurationToken" token at the start of sex, so that I know not to hook in my code. That means that I probably can't use your start-of-sex hook, but oh well. Also, does the 'pause' token persist until sex is resumed? I can't check at the moment, but I could tell my stuff to pause, too.

@Docta: Is there any other way you could go about timing things? Like I just said to prideslayer, I could pause my code while someone else pauses sex.

MOAR tokens! How do you feel about being a guinea pig? I've been meaning to replace some tokens with actorvalues in Variable04 and Variable05, as these seem unused by other mods.

http://geck.bethsoft.com/index.php/ActorValue#User_Defined_Actor_Values

Bithacking plan:

My plan is to define all/most of the bits in 05 as bitflags, and keep 04 'reserved' to (possibly) point to a ref or something like that. The bits would be:

00-15 : anim #
16    : analogue to 00SexoutActor (this actor is engaged)
17-21 : reserved
22-24 : anim group.  000 = sexout, 001 = zaz, etc.
25-26 : position.  00 = actora, 01 = actorb, etc.
27    : reserved

I can add the bit you suggest as a single flag, indicating a non-standard timer was used. I could also use one as the "don't mess with" flag rather than the formlist idea I came up with.

In fact I could put the # of seconds remaining in there as well, but that would be better handled by some other mechanism since the # of needed bits is rather large.

For all the flags I would have global defines in sexout that can be used, similar to oral/anal/vaginal. If you wanted to check for the non standard timer flag, you would just have to do something like..

int tmp
set tmp to someRef.GetAV Variable04
if (0 == (LogicalAND tmp SexoutNGFlagCustomTime))
; ... sex act on this actor used the default time
endif

Same with the inuse flag and others. Values like the anim # would need to be ANDed out and then divided, at least until I add a shift-right routine to NX, which is on my shortlist of things to add.

The 'reserved' spots are spots where I do have plans for stuff, like undressing state etc., but am not exactly sure I can implement how I want to.

So again.. thoughts.. and sorry for hijacking the thread. :) We can move this elsewhere if you like.

Oooh' date=' fancy. Count me in! Would the actor values be set up before your start-of-sex hook?

[/quote']

Definitely. I've been meaning to do this for a while, to get away from all these damn tokens, and make things a bit more responsive since I won't have to "wait" for GetAV to work the way you have to wait for stuff to appear in inventory etc.

I'll get that set in play this week in time for beta this weekend.

When analogues to all the tokens are in place, NG will get a bump to 3.x.x, which is a 'notice' for all mods to switch to the new system as they have time, so in the 4.x.x branch I can stop handing out tokens entirely.

To be honest I'm not to keen on normal "play" mods messing around with pause' date=' finishnow, etc. IMHO it takes away control from the player that rightly belongs with the player.

[/quote']

Likewise if there's generic sex happening (like from workinggirl or something) and Docta wants his dude to walk up' date=' wank, and then leave before the act finishes -- he would check the list.

[/quote']

Oops - I shoulda been more clear: this is not a 'gameplay' feature I want to append to anything sexout going on. It's a specific scene in a story-quest. There wouldn't be interference with Legion, for instance - it all happens in Goodsprings, and it doesn't happen more than 2-3 times.

All I'm looking for here is a way to override anything else affecting duration for that specific scene to work as planned. So, y'know, much the same as Loogie, except more softcore :D. No way I was gonna mess with timing globally. Just there & then. Sorry for the confusion.

No more masters' date=' please.

[b']@Docta:[/b] Is there any other way you could go about timing things? Like I just said to prideslayer, I could pause my code while someone else pauses sex.

Ditto on keeping it all in NG.

As to alternatives: I'm good with whatever has the least chance of conflicting with Lust or anything else that might come along affecting duration. I'm just trying to figure out what the options are, or will be. :huh:

Going to take a little longer than I thought. SexoutNGEffectBase is now out of space for raw scripts. I was able to fit the code in to set the inuse flag on actora, but that left me with just two characters (hah!) left, so currently can't remove the flag. Going to see what I can refactor to free up some space here.

• 2 weeks later...

Chase: For those having mods or patches that use SexoutLust, the Courier's base lust value is or could also be important. Of course the base value is the total_lust minus the lust_bonuses. Any chance the Courier's baseLust value could be stored in SCR so that accessing that value would not require a dependency upon SexoutLust.esp as a master?

Are we talking just for reading' date=' or reads/writes? If Halstrom adds the SCR value, I'll gladly write to it in the next update.

[/quote']

Reads. With the total and the Courier's base value, can determine how much due to bonuses versus intrinsic, etc. Since SexoutLust computes the bonuses and base values continuously would be nice to have that available...

Thanks

Are we talking just for reading' date=' or reads/writes? If Halstrom adds the SCR value, I'll gladly write to it in the next update.[/quote']

I can add that in the next update, does fBaseLust sound good enough?

From my end, just about any name would do; but since it is SCR, you seem to have a bit of a naming scheme that has meaning to yourselves and others...

Currently the full Courier's lust (base_Lust + bonus_lust) is SexoutSQLVAR.fLustZPlayer

My guess is that you and Chase might prefer something similar indicating player specific? Maybe: fBaseLustZPlayer

(Or maybe that is what you meant and I am being too literal?)

Thanks.

Are we talking just for reading' date=' or reads/writes? If Halstrom adds the SCR value, I'll gladly write to it in the next update.[/quote']

I can add that in the next update, does fBaseLust sound good enough?

From my end, just about any name would do; but since it is SCR, you seem to have a bit of a naming scheme that has meaning to yourselves and others...

Currently the full Courier's lust (base_Lust + bonus_lust) is SexoutSQLVAR.fLustZPlayer

My guess is that you and Chase might prefer something similar indicating player specific? Maybe: fBaseLustZPlayer

(Or maybe that is what you meant and I am being too literal?)

Thanks.

Actually it's been SexoutSQLVARZPlayer.fLust for a while now, I'm going to remove the old variables eventually :)

Actually it's been SexoutSQLVARZPlayer.fLust for a while now' date=' I'm going to remove the old variables eventually :)

[/quote']

Didn't know about SexoutSQLVARZPlayer.fLust. I picked up SexoutSQLVAR.fLustZPlayer from SexoutLust; what little I know is by reverse engineering what others have done or reading these forum topics.

Hope Chase moves to the new SCR variables sooner than later since, wrt Lust, many may use his code as a template/example - I do/did.

I think I see the advantage of SexoutSQLVARZPlayer.fLust over SexoutSQLVAR.fLustZPlayer. Pretty much simple copy/paste to maintain similar or same variables for player, companions, etc? But you went further by using the same (Quest) script for the many main characters. Brilliant, and obvious once shown. Sure makes things easier for both the user of the variables, and the maintainer! Just learned something... (Now I will have to spend some time looking over SCR for tidbits like this, I had ignored it up to now, sorry.)

Actually it's been SexoutSQLVARZPlayer.fLust for a while now' date=' I'm going to remove the old variables eventually :)

[/quote']

Didn't know about SexoutSQLVARZPlayer.fLust. I picked up SexoutSQLVAR.fLustZPlayer from SexoutLust; what little I know is by reverse engineering what others have done or reading these forum topics.

Hope Chase moves to the new SCR variables sooner than later since, wrt Lust, many may use his code as a template/example - I do/did.

I think I see the advantage of SexoutSQLVARZPlayer.fLust over SexoutSQLVAR.fLustZPlayer. Pretty much simple copy/paste to maintain similar or same variables for player, companions, etc? But you went further by using the same (Quest) script for the many main characters. Brilliant, and obvious once shown. Sure makes things easier for both the user of the variables, and the maintainer! Just learned something... (Now I will have to spend some time looking over SCR for tidbits like this, I had ignored it up to now, sorry.)

Yep it made adding new variables much simpler, it's easy to add New Companions, Wendy Gilbert, or anyone else desired, and I'm gradually improving the documentation on them too, I may make another set for less important NPC's later with just basic variables, but not sure how to identify it to the NPC.

The Cut, Replace & Paste of the other way was driving me nuts and bloating SCR with scripts too, I've still got to finish a fair bit of stuff in there like Alcohol & TranqX dart ammo.