What was the first game(s) you ever played for PC (that you remember)?

polluxval

Actual PC wise (not including commodore and coleco, yes they actually had a computer lol) I would have to say Wolfenstein 3D

yea i remember those. it was a pain in the ass for a kid to run a game though. :(

Once you got familiar with it, it wasn't so bad. On those I believe Pitfall, Donkey Kong, and Frogger were my first ones.

I got hooked on computer games in the early 90's when a co-worker brought in Jedi Knight: Dark Forces which we played on the boss' Apple while he was on vacation.  I then bought a 3DO game system and (I think, but perhaps am wrong) finished Dark Forces.  I also played Myst, Flashback:  The Quest for Identity, Alone in the Dark, among some other games I don't remember.

By '96 I had bought a Gateway.  I think the first true PC game I played was probably Duke Nukem 3D, then Doom, Quake, Dark Forces II, Zork Nemesis, Diablo, Master of Orion.

That's not including games I played previously on older consoles, like Atari (Space Invaders, Adventure, etc.) and Nintento (Pitfall).

There were some PC games my brother had that I played sometimes. He had one that was basically giant mechs. Early 90s graphics, but still good. I especially liked it because it put you inside the cockpit, which was unusual for games at the time. He also had a couple scary ones, like Phantasmagoria, and one called Shivers. I really enjoyed those.

anyone even remember dragons quest anymore ggeeez  i feel old XD

I do! Dragon Warrior on the NES was the first RPG I ever played. I felt bad killing those cute little slimes though. ;) Stupid Wyvern and the Knight thingy in that destroyed city always got me. I still play the DQ series, I've played them all but 7 for the Playstation sadly. DQIX on the DS is my current obsession.

As for my first PC game, it was Oregon Trail at school. :)

There were some PC games my brother had that I played sometimes. He had one that was basically giant mechs. Early 90s graphics, but still good. I especially liked it because it put you inside the cockpit, which was unusual for games at the time. He also had a couple scary ones, like Phantasmagoria, and one called Shivers. I really enjoyed those.

mech warrior most likely.

I got hooked on computer games in the early 90's when a co-worker brought in Jedi Knight: Dark Forces which we played on the boss' Apple while he was on vacation.  I then bought a 3DO game system and (I think, but perhaps am wrong) finished Dark Forces.  I also played Myst, Flashback:  The Quest for Identity, Alone in the Dark, among some other games I don't remember.

By '96 I had bought a Gateway.  I think the first true PC game I played was probably Duke Nukem 3D, then Doom, Quake, Dark Forces II, Zork Nemesis, Diablo, Master of Orion.

That's not including games I played previously on older consoles, like Atari (Space Invaders, Adventure, etc.) and Nintento (Pitfall).

another person who played Flash Back. :)

Ultima Underworld (on 5 inch floppy discs) 

Betrayal at Krondor

i hated those floppy disks. i got doom in floppy disks. disk number 3 failed... you can guess the rest.

anyone even remember dragons quest anymore ggeeez  i feel old XD

i did. :)

- Jill of the Jungle

- Prince of Persia

- Baldies

- Wolfenstein

- Doom

- Blood

- Duke Nukem

- Shadow Warrior

- Little Big Adventure 1 & 2

- Bioforge

- And many, many others.

All classics in their own right.

hahaha shadow warrior. i loved that game. god damn chinese crazy old man... watching naked girls and that stuff... :P

if im not wrong its from the makers of dukenukem but didnt get the same fame.

The first games I ever played were Tank Trax, Manic Miner and The Hobbit on the ZX Spectrum lol.  IIRC my first PC games were The Oregon Trail (only because it came bundled with the PC...), 7th Guest, Under a Killing Moon, Warcraft and Tomb Raider.  Oh and Ultima 8, which was terrible compared to every other Ultima imo.  Hmm... I can't remember if I played Starcraft before Warcraft now I think about it.

Early PC games never really had the same impact on me as the rock-hard 8-bit games or the Atari/Amiga 16-bit ones tbh, but maybe I'm just old and carry too many rose-tinted glasses around.

Damn this thread is nostalgia overload

those lovely lovely shareware disks back in the day, hardly had a game with more than a couple of levels, but damn did i master them :P

Descent was probably the first game i owned - i knew how to play it then, but today my mind would just explode trying to find out which way I was pointing

Gorillas was the first game i modded(me and a friend, neither us having much understanding of english, just changing variables in the code until something cool happened - like making the bananas destroy the entire map whenever they exploded :P) - coolest mod happened in nibbler though(the QBasic snake clone) - fooling around with the colours, we probably made some errors causing all the colours to change on keypress - best bug ever!

Leisure suit harry was the hardest game to get started when you didn't know english - we  installed the on the computer in our class room, and the game for us was pretty much just getting past the age verification quizz - we only managed it once in the 10 min break between classes :P

A couple more to keep nostalgia rolling:

Stunts - best track editor EVAR!! and awesome porche le-mans car(and bugs so awesome it took a shitty console port of gta IV to replicate them)

Catacombs Abyss, man that game was scary - even with ega graphics :P

GODS, probably the most beatiful game i played from that era

Street Rod:

tumblr_mfiqd9jWB31qmqiyno1_500.gif

Damn this thread is nostalgia overload

those lovely lovely shareware disks back in the day, hardly had a game with more than a couple of levels, but damn did i master them :P

Descent was probably the first game i owned - i knew how to play it then, but today my mind would just explode trying to find out which way I was pointing

Gorillas was the first game i modded(me and a friend, neither us having much understanding of english, just changing variables in the code until something cool happened - like making the bananas destroy the entire map whenever they exploded :P) - coolest mod happened in nibbler though(the QBasic snake clone) - fooling around with the colours, we probably made some errors causing all the colours to change on keypress - best bug ever!

Leisure suit harry was the hardest game to get started when you didn't know english - we  installed the on the computer in our class room, and the game for us was pretty much just getting past the age verification quizz - we only managed it once in the 10 min break between classes :P

A couple more to keep nostalgia rolling:

Stunts - best track editor EVAR!! and awesome porche le-mans car(and bugs so awesome it took a shitty console port of gta IV to replicate them)

Catacombs Abyss, man that game was scary - even with ega graphics :P

GODS, probably the most beatiful game i played from that era

Street Rod:

tumblr_mfiqd9jWB31qmqiyno1_500.gif

i never ever beleived to find someone else who played catacomb abyss.... :o

Basically all of Lucas's and Sierra's adventure games from the beginning of the 90's and late 80's, the first ones being Police Quest I and II, King's Quest III, Hero's Quest, Leisure Suit Larry I-III, all of the Space Quest games, Zak McKracken, Maniac Mansion, Day of the Tentacle.

Archived