[AAF] "The Fucking Manual" ~ Adult oriented setup guide 7th/April/2024).

6 hours ago, Indarello said:

Because xmls referencing .esp file, you also need edit them

I did not do that before, so that could easily have been my problem.

@Saya Scarlett said:

Most people ask first in AAF's discord if it's safe to ESL-ify AAF stuff and the answer is always a resounding and hard NO.

Well, if it's asked multiple times and the answer is that quick and certain, then it's a great thing to put in the manual; and might reduce Discord traffic and "Oh shit this question AGAIN?!" by at least the 5% of us who bother reading anything at all.  ☺️ 

@Saya Scarlett also said:

ESL-ifying is not basic knowledge, nor relevant to getting AAF to work

Counterargument:  I am a 2nd-level mod installer - versus the level 50+ I find around here like yourself - but I do know that I was unable to install AAF and all the goodies I wanted, as well as the goodies I already had, without ESLifying extensively.  A script I got from the Skyrim side, ESPFE Followerhas worked in previous experimentation for Fallout 4 and it's really simple to run.  Without ESLifying, I couldn't have crammed AAF into my already-bulging mod list.

Also, it'd be a couple of lines.  You've already written more arguing against adding it.?

17 hours ago, vaultbait said:

comments like "mods which contain custom animations shouldn't be converted" or  "do not compact the Form ID's of ... animation mods" or "shouldnt be converting animation packs into ESL" have always made me wary. In retrospect I don't actually see a lot of the guides stating that, so it could just be unfounded FUD since I haven't found explanations for why and I do also see evidence some people disagree.

Which is why I tried it myself.  ? However.... this experiment - at least without also changing the XMLs as @Indarello mentioned, idk - could be considered a 'failure' or a negative outcome.

and @lee3310 said:

if you just add the esl flag in xedit, i don't see the problem, but if you compact the form IDs then yeah everything will be broken and you have to go over all animations xmls and change the idle IDs one by one

Seems like Rather A Pain In The A__ To Do, so I think I'll do something else.

@lee3310, thank you for the info.  Enough of this stuff (if it sticks in my brain) and I'll be a 3rd-level mod installer in no time!

Edited by qalavix
16 minutes ago, qalavix said:

Still, a mention in the *ahem* Manual might be worthwhile.

I understand the manual authors' reservations about overloading it with a laundry list of things you might try to do which will break your shit. There's already quite a few more common problems called out in it, but every addition makes it that much longer and it's already nearly a light novel. The general approach seems to be that if the manual doesn't tell you explicitly to do something, then there's a good chance doing a thing it didn't tell you to do will lead to an unwanted outcome. Like the saying goes, "do what you like, but if it breaks you get to keep the pieces."

9 hours ago, sriglin1226 said:

Can I download this without tying my email to yet another website? I don't understand, this was on the LL main site for years..

No it was not hosted on LL, it was on Nexus Mods. The file page on LL used to link to Nexus for the download, now it links to Moddingham. Also, complaining about something someone is providing for free is really bad form. In my country we have an old saying, "never look a gift horse in the mouth."

I have followed this list verbatem and am stick stuck w the %68 bug. Oddly one of the very few changes I made was replacing EVB w Bodytalk3. The other recent addition prior to that was the whole set of mods n patches around, SAM or Screen archery menu.

Has anyone else come across issues in relation? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

3 hours ago, Aleksi said:

I have followed this list verbatem and am stick stuck w the %68 bug. Oddly one of the very few changes I made was replacing EVB w Bodytalk3. The other recent addition prior to that was the whole set of mods n patches around, SAM or Screen archery menu.

Has anyone else come across issues in relation? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Bodytalk 3 wont give the 68%.  You should have Screen Archer, then SUP F4SE, then SAMFormer and all of these should load after all your AAF mods.  I have not run into any issues at all in that order. Also if you are using SAM Enhanced mod there is a report one of the position enhancements is causing the 68% in the support thread.

Edited by Boceifus
1 hour ago, Boceifus said:

SAM, SUP F4SE, then SAMFormer ... should load after all your AAF mods

I wasn't aware that this kind of recommendation exists. I've got SAM (and it's skeleton) after the bodies, before AAF and animations. SUP F4SE,  SAMFormer and the enhancements mod after all of the guides mods.

13 hours ago, Aleksi said:

the %68 bug

10 hours ago, Boceifus said:

should have Screen Archer, then SUP F4SE, then SAMFormer and all of these should load after all your AAF mods

If I move SUP F4SE and SAMFormer under SAM (between FG and AAF as in the guide) it works in my setup. If I move all three of them above anything in the manual, it just works ;) So maybe there's something else conflicting? The old Leito patch, maybe? Something that's not in the 28 numbered mods of the manual but still AAF related?

17 hours ago, Aleksi said:

Just to be clear, you're not using this right?

18 hours ago, Aleksi said:

I had the same problem after installing SAM Enhanced Animations. Reinstalling UAP helped in my case.

1 hour ago, Aleksi said:

I've got nothing by Leito

You'll need this then, but not the patch for it. Installed according to the manual.

My mod only makes adjustments to that mod's animations (and one of atomic lusts).

It doesn't contain any animations itself.

Also, 1.1.0 had some location data duplicated, just uploaded a fixed version because of that.

Edited by ookkerpak
5 hours ago, ookkerpak said:

If I move SUP F4SE and SAMFormer under SAM (between FG and AAF as in the guide) it works in my setup. If I move all three of them above anything in the manual, it just works ;) So maybe there's something else conflicting? The old Leito patch, maybe? Something that's not in the 28 numbered mods of the manual but still AAF related?

Good it works :)  I love this guide, but sometimes you have to do what works for you, there are a other mods out there the guide doesn't take into account other than AAF that will conflict with AAF, so you just have to find a load order that works with what you got.

44 minutes ago, Aleksi said:

*go0ddammotherfu...* AAF started right up after UNINSTALLING that. Thanks again for the heads up. 

Greatly appreciated!

No worries, you mentioned having recently installed a bunch of SAM-related mods, and I happened to remember that one has a pile of warnings on its file page about how it changes existing animation packs and likely breaks things which rely on them.

3 hours ago, vaultbait said:

changes existing animation packs and likely breaks things

Would you have any ideas about what to do to try to minimize this? I just wanted to add some SAM adjustments to them. That's just adding tags to .xml files. The SAMFormer tags have a different form than others, which might be a problem I can't do anything about. I thought that maybe I'll change the names of the animations back to their original form without any prefixes to lower the chance of incompatibilities renaming might cause.

9 minutes ago, ookkerpak said:

Would you have any ideas about what to do to try to minimize this? I just wanted to add some SAM adjustments to them. That's just adding tags to .xml files. The SAMFormer tags have a different form than others, which might be a problem I can't do anything about. I thought that maybe I'll change the names of the animations back to their original form without any prefixes to lower the chance of incompatibilities renaming might cause.

There are two basic classes of problem you can create in this case... the first is causing animations and related constructs which other mods reference to no longer exist (renaming existing animations could easily cause this). The second is overwriting changes which are being made by other patch mods which are also overwriting the same files. Related to these, you also may find that you refer to things in your mod which other animation patches have renamed, leading to similar failures for people trying to combine them.

I've not tried to make a mod which patches or extends existing animations, so you're probably better off seeking advice on the AAF Discord. That said, my guess is that you could get away with making separate copies of everything under different names. I think that's the approach taken in Hardship, for example, in order to isolate the mod's custom tagged animations from external changes made by patches altering the originals.

16 minutes ago, vaultbait said:

better off seeking advice on the AAF Discord

Yeah, I'm doing that at some point. First I'm trying to finish making the adjustments for Leito's stuff.

18 minutes ago, vaultbait said:

could get away with making separate copies of everything under different names

Good point. Now I wanted to hide the originals just to not clutter the animations list.

20 minutes ago, vaultbait said:

other patch mods

Yeah. I guess 100% compatibility with each one of these is out of the question, given the amount of mods and authors.

22 minutes ago, vaultbait said:

refer to things in your mod which other animation patches have renamed

I was thinking that I might try to change the references towards UAP's naming scheme and see what that yields. A clusterfuck mayhem, most likely, but we'll see if it goes for better or worse ;)

This guide requires the ZaZ Extended Skeleton (ZeX).  Great!

However, the guide references V5 on a google drive.  There's a new ZeX mod page created a couple of weeks ago and hosted here on LL.    It's claims to be V6.   However, as I was typing this, I took a closer look.   As noted in the comments, V6 really just adds a FOMOD and optional support for Screen Archer Menu.   Of course, that's valuable, but for those of us that don't use Screen Archer, installing V6 results in a mod folder that exactly matches the V5  folder.   So, I would have called in V5.1, but that's a trivial and very minor nit and my personal opinion.   The guide should probably point to this new page though.

I notice that installing ZeX is pointless for me!  I'm playing a female PC, but have Atomic Muscle (AM2) installed for the male bodies.   AM2 completely overwrites all four ZeX files (but only changes the skeleton.nif file).

Edited by MikeWander

The manual says not to install Cute Preset as it includes the Skeletal Adjustments for CBBE in its pack, which messes with AAF. However there is a preset-only version. If you install this along with its dependencies. I'm using it and it works just fine:

Install Cute Preset. Only download the "Cute Preset (Preset Only) file. Do NOT use "Cute Preset" and/or "Cute Preset (Update)"

Make sure that is requirements are installed fist:

Do NOT install "Skeletal Adjustments for CBBE". It messes with AAF and is not required for the preset as far as I can see.

Thank You, nice guide since I hadn't updated anything adult related in FO4 in 2 years+.

Showing my "aint broke don't fix it!" mentality in that above confession.

Clean from scratch updated FO4 install...

All good thanks to the simplicity of this guides order.

Cheers.

On 12/12/2022 at 3:01 PM, sickboy791 said:

hey sorry but the uap patch disables ff animations? any other than BP70 FF ?  i didn´t see any ff animations in game ..

Those were an outlier.  Make sure you have all the animation packs installed, with the proper versions as noted in the guide.  And then make sure UAP is installed and loaded *after* all those animation packs, and when installing UAP that you have checked the boxes next to each pack.  For more in depth troubleshooting please visit the discord if needed.

Also note that patch I made is no longer needed as those specific BP70 animations should be available now in UAP without it.

Cheers

Edited by Sgt. Marge