The outer worlds, meh or yeh?

I clocked in at about 20 hours or so.

Can't remember much about the game without going back to a wiki.

It's pretty much the definition of okay. Everything worked (which was an accomplishment for Obsidian), but the game basically took no risk and did nothing outstanding.

Frankly, half the reason the game was hyped up was it being announced during a time where FO4 disappointed a lot of people (I was one of them) and FO76 keep finding new ways of shitting the bed, so people were building up TOW as some sort of FNV spiritual successor to spite Bethesda.

Now that I've played it and the honeymoon period has passed, I actually think I prefer FO4 to TOW, to say nothing of New Vegas. 

2019 as a whole was an abysmal year for video games. The fact that Outer Worlds was considered so great is a testament to the absolute shit show of games released that year. Most every game had to have day one patches, was plagued by controversy, was broken at launch even with day one patches, and/or had loot boxes and MTX built in. The rare few exceptions like RE 2 RemakeDeath Stranding, and indie games like Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom just highlighted how awful things really are. And even at the time of this post, things just keep getting worse as big name studios and entire brands find ways of hitting bottom and digging even deeper. Either with their products and/or their behavior (*cough* Activision Blizzard *cough*).

3 hours ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

2019 as a whole was an abysmal year for video games. The fact that Outer Worlds was considered so great is a testament to the absolute shit show of games released that year. Most every game had to have day one patches, was plagued by controversy, was broken at launch even with day one patches, and/or had loot boxes and MTX built in. The rare few exceptions like RE 2 RemakeDeath Stranding, and indie games like Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom just highlighted how awful things really are. And even at the time of this post, things just keep getting worse as big name studios and entire brands find ways of hitting bottom and digging even deeper. Either with their products and/or their behavior (*cough* Activision Blizzard *cough*).

Well, crap....I WAS thinking about this game as a possible purchase (as soon as it became un-EPIC....?), but now.....fuck.....another one dropped from an extremely short list of single-player games I had some hopes for.

And yeah.....such a year of craptastic copy and paste, shovelware multiplayers, Dank Souls wannabees, and Indie asset-store originality. And will probably have to wait another 3-8 months for anything that MIGHT be somewhat entertaining without attempting to drain Customers (not consumers) dry.

Listening to players makes me think it's actually a good step for Obsidian. While not the 'WOW-KILLER' everyone wants, it sounds like a solid effort which is more than most releases today.

Build on customer trust, and learn from the public perception, while keeping a solid platform. This is how game companies grew in the past. I'm tired of snake oil salesmen, broken promises, and a hovering sense of dread each time a AAA game is released.

The lack of visceral excitement isn't as off-putting as page after page of dissatisfaction with any title. Even those in the latter, I've found some to be entertaining as it seems a matter of taste and 'I WANT' mentality.

Unlike other things that live or die with "good press and bad press is better than no press", I'll just have to make up my own mind when I finally play it.

Once I heard the nutty scientist guy tell me about how he has plenty of toilet paper stocked up while standing behind a large glass wall I just never thought of him the same way again. I kept thinking I could smell a dirty bathroom every time I had to go back to his lab for something. Even now just thinking of him makes me remember the smell of shit and pee, that guy really grossed me out.

I have yet to try the game again after I beat it once. The only other games that I play like that are COD and MW games and similar burner games. Burn through the single player and maybe try the multiplayer for a while then dump it. It also didn't help that the game has a gigantic help the hard gay quest that drags through the whole game unless you dismiss the npc and miss out on her abilities plus she kinda sorta maintains the ship throughout the game.

The only real thing I am interested in from this game is how to get the various outfits and clothes converted over to fallout 4 if that is possible.

I know I read somewhere that dying light 2 is delayed but I'm sure it will be filled with current year crap when it comes out after playing through outer worlds.

On 2/26/2020 at 3:22 PM, Zor2k13 said:

The only real thing I am interested in from this game is how to get the various outfits and clothes converted over to fallout 4 if that is possible.

That's unlikely. Outer Worlds uses a completely different engine, which means different files types and file processing. It would be easier for modders to simply re-create outfits. Even if it possible, Take-Two would likely squash any such efforts without even consulting Obsidian. They don't like people finding new ways to enjoy their games without paying them for the privilege first.

I enjoyed it and finished it, but unfortunately there isn't really any point replaying, no CK and no real adult modding potential.
It was bug free and had some funny quirky humour. I took a while to finish because I explored pretty much every inch of every map looking for surprises and found some :)

The trouble with TOW is that the dialogue trees are so broad that you're never going to see all the different converastional options unless you do a dozen playthroughs, but there isn't really enough different things to do to keep the game fresh past the first couple of runs.

It's not helped by the follower system. Get the right mix, and even your dump skills are going to be decent, because you'll have Pavarti or Max helping out.

Don't get me wrong: I loved every minute of it, and where it fails, I think it fails for the right reasons. B ut I can certainly understand people whose first reaction was "well that was short!"

I found it kinda meh... It got way too much hype because it contrasted so strongly to Fallout 76, and people seemed eager to give it a free pass on the really mediocre combat mechanics and lifeless, unimaginative world design.

The writing for the game is mostly wonderful, but it really has to carry the whole experience and IMO it's not quite that good. I personally stopped playing a little after I got to Byzantium because I just wasn't having any fun with the core loop anymore. It got tedious, and I was only engaged during dialogue.

I'll probably go back if it gets some decent mods though.

Let me put it like this:

To this very day, 10 years after its release, people around the internet are still arguing which ending is the best ending for Fallout: New Vegas. People are still arguing about which faction is the most in the right and what choices result in the best world for the characters of the game to live in after the player's story ends.

In The Outer Worlds, it is immediately crystal clear who the good guys are, and the only option besides joining the obvious good guy, is to join the comically evil bad guys/corporations that are evil because they like being evil.

The only exception to this was the Iconoclast dispute questline and even then, the bad guy revealed himself a bit before the end of the quest line and was, once again, very clearly a bad guy despite his (in his mind) good intentions.

I don't know what happened to Obsidian in the last 10 years, but it is plain to see that the change was not good.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

It was fun enough to play, but alas really wasn't anything special or long lasting. Not even near the level of New Vegas, and that game had issues too.

But hey, it's not the best choice, it's spacer's choice ?

• 2 weeks later...

I'll still get it to support the studio once it releases on Steam, and from the looks of things, DLC will be available already as well.

I enjoy Greedfall, which is a step up from that studio's previous offerings, so I can only hope Obsidian continues to create and publish increasingly competent titles as time goes on.

2 hours ago, landess said:

I'll still get it to support the studio once it releases on Steam, and from the looks of things, DLC will be available already as well.

I enjoy Greedfall, which is a step up from that studio's previous offerings, so I can only hope Obsidian continues to create and publish increasingly competent titles as time goes on.

Greedfall was developed by SPIDERS and published by Focus Home Interactive, not Obsidian.

8 hours ago, FauxFurry said:

Greedfall was developed by SPIDERS and published by Focus Home Interactive, not Obsidian.

I know, but I couldn't remember the name of the publisher/developers, so I said 'That', while using Obsidian's name later in the sentence to separate the 2....

I have 'Mars: War Logs' from Spiders and looked at Technomancer as well although passed on the later.....   Greedfall Is much better than the earlier offerings - this is why I made the comparison between the 2 companies that 'could be' Triple-A, given enough time and success.

Been gaming since Pong.