noticed game crashes with too many mods sims 4

kalfy93

Hi everyone, i noticed my game crashes when i add another mod in, it's weird really. i recently tried to adding the statue mod by vmars. 

i think it's something that happens coz i have too many mods, because it happened yesterday with a different mod as well, so im guessing i hit a limit of how many mods the game can support?

i tried testing this by adding 2 clothing mods, after removing the statue mod, and those seems to not crash my game, so i'm not sure if it's a size issue or something else. 

right now my mods folder is 22GB in size. when i play the game it runs fine, and i checked on task manager, and both my cpu and ram are fine. memory does go up to like 80% but i havent seen it go above 83% and my cpu is going at around 16% so no issue there. 

i find it very strange that some mods work while others don't. i've got the newest version of sims 4. 

please let me know if anyone else has had an issue like this one, thanks. 

1. If you're having trouble and you're afraid of your game slowing down or crashing, try setting graphics to medium. That should take care of it.

2. Play in an Offline mode and with update  1.60.54. Anything newer may cause your mods to crash your games or glitch.

3. Certain mods can conflict with each other. In your case, you have a mod which heavily conflicts with the statue mod. Be safe and pass on that mod, rather than risking unstable game.

Technically, your game can support an infinite amount of mods. However, that's assuming you have a good computer and your mods DONT conflict with each other AND won't conflict after several generations of sims.

1 hour ago, kalfy93 said:

Pro tip for next time in any type of a game. 

Disable auto-updating for your games. Auto-updates are very, very, very bad, if there's no way of reverting them. 

Currently, you're stuck with 1.61 version, where majority of mods support 1.60. 

In some cases, this can cause major problems. So, I'd recommend turning off auto updates on your sims games, until 90% of mods update to newest patch. 

10 hours ago, DarkAudit said:

The 1.61 update was a negligible update for most, if not all, mods. At least, as far as I've seen. Nothing seems to have broken on my end. YMMV, of course.

Fortunately.

But the general rule still remains. Always have automatic updates turned off, until mods update to that patch. Otherwise you risk save corruption or errors. 

On 2/5/2020 at 3:34 AM, kalfy93 said:

Hi everyone, i noticed my game crashes when i add another mod in, it's weird really. i recently tried to adding the statue mod by vmars. 

i think it's something that happens coz i have too many mods, because it happened yesterday with a different mod as well, so im guessing i hit a limit of how many mods the game can support?

i tried testing this by adding 2 clothing mods, after removing the statue mod, and those seems to not crash my game, so i'm not sure if it's a size issue or something else. 

right now my mods folder is 22GB in size. when i play the game it runs fine, and i checked on task manager, and both my cpu and ram are fine. memory does go up to like 80% but i havent seen it go above 83% and my cpu is going at around 16% so no issue there. 

i find it very strange that some mods work while others don't. i've got the newest version of sims 4. 

please let me know if anyone else has had an issue like this one, thanks. 

Your problem is caused by bad package. 

1) check where your game crashed and which items were loading on that screen.

script mods are number 1 items to check when a crash happens.

2) believe me or not, old body, sliders, clothes, or body mods can crash your game like candies. Look for the damaged one via CAS or mod manager app.

3) mod folder size doesn’t matter. You can have 99 gb mods and game still works fine. This game only run 20 sims per instance. If you. Don’t mod them. That’s also a crash factor, don’t add more sims per world until your compute can handle it.

4) GPu matters a lot of here.if you use heavy CC, but that’s only add lag to your game. Not crash it. Unless your video card is on the EA list or non compatible video cards for sims 4, yeah Electronic Arts add a list of video cards useless for sims 4.

5) last chance , your game files get corrupted in someway, reinstall again an reload all mods. 

3 hours ago, DarkAudit said:

But what really drags the game down are relationships.

Interesting, as I've noticed pretty much the same thing.

Since I'm playing on a really old save and my sim probably knows far too many sims both friendly and romantic.

Over 100 kids(grown up) by same dad along with many townies/NPC's.

Noticed it more when playing with an 8 sim household with sims coming and going to school and work.

Also on a large lot with a huge garden and townies spawning in and out of zone at the same time.

Single household now with same large/garden lot seems better now too.   

I've deleted quite a few relationships with MCCC and seems to have helped a bit.

Lifespan set to long and disabled NPC aging maybe is not such a good idea, lol.

Might have to start a new game eventually but I have so much time invested in my main sim and townie editing I hate to start all over again.

But game crashing has never been a problem.

I think the OP has a problem with a bad mod, or bad combination of mods is all.

4 minutes ago, Scorpio said:

Interesting, as I've noticed pretty much the same thing.

Since I'm playing on a really old save and my sim probably knows far too many sims both friendly and romantic.

Over 100 kids(grown up) by same dad along with many townies/NPC's.

I've deleted quite a few relationships with MCCC and seems to have helped a bit.

But game crashing has never been a problem.

I think the OP has a problem with a bad mod, or bad combination of mods is all.

I've been lucky avoiding crashes. Almost all were not being able to exit gracefully when quitting. I had one save that would crash the game on loading. It crashed so hard the only option was rebooting. Fortunately the previous save was only about an hour older, so I didn't lose much progress. And now I have a different family to play with, anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of tips -

1.) If you're not already, remove random characters from mod file names, i.e. LittleDoxy_Underwear.pkg, change that to LittleDoxyUnderwear.pkg.  (Grab program Bulk Rename Utility, free, easy, fast to do everything)

2.) If you're like me, youre downloading everything that catches your eye, what youll want to do is grab Sims 4 Studio, and begin to merge files into one large package.  Usually I do mine by creator name.  Thatll cut down on your loading time and processing that the game has to do.  The game doesn't care bout file size of the packages, just number of packages.  That may lead to crashing if you have too many.

Of course, if you have a bad mod, etc - thatll make your game unstable.  Check your Last Exception file - google Last Exception Assistant or XML Pretty Print, both will help translate what mod might be out of whack.  Pretty simple just look through the text file for the mod name that you recognize and either remove or update.

Hope that helps.

Archived