Are you constantly downloading mods?

Quillon

Hi. 

I just wanted to share something with you guys and see, if you have also the same mindset. 

Since the Skyrim launch, I've been forever changed in a way of playing my games. Whenever I buy a game, play it for hour or two, I tend to browse various sites and find mods to play it alongside the main game.

Without finishing even half of the game. 

All the games I've played in latest months have been modded. Last ones being Darkest Dungeon, which had around 90 mods installed. And now Sims 4, which has around 400 different mods. 

I can't help it. In back of my mind, I always know that there's always a way to have MORE items, more mechanics and more content, without even experiencing the base game.

Do you share the same mindset about playing your games?

5 hours ago, creampiequeen said:

Most of the time, yeah. Lately I've been installing sex or nudity mods for basically everything, but it does go outside that. But like, why play a vanilla game when you can change & improve it to your liking?

Exactly! Mods are a blessing.

Assuming they work :D

One of the most soulcrushing things is to play a game for like 50 hours... and then get your save destroyed because of a mod error.

But then you can report it and improve the mod further.

my motto, a good game doesn't need mods, if I need mods and unofficial patches, then it's not a good game!
I have not modified The Witcher series, Dragon Age series and many other games because these games were good for me.
but if a game developer like Bethesda only bug-infested Games brings to market, then one have no choice you have to modify your game, to make it playable!

I never ever had time for another game since I started Skyrim modding.

I still have plenty of games stored that I downloaded at the same time as Skyrim, but never came around to play.

Except of some quick to play turn based strategy games nothing keeps me addicted as Skyrim.

Also those downloaded games are all to mod later... if I ever can stop searching for my ultimate LL Skyrim ?

10 minutes ago, donttouchmethere said:

I never ever had time for another game since I started Skyrim modding.

I still have plenty of games stored that I downloaded at the same time as Skyrim, but never came around to play.

Except of some quick to play turn based strategy games nothing keeps me addicted as Skyrim.

Also those downloaded games are all to mod later... if I ever can stop searching for my ultimate LL Skyrim ?

I kinda felt same way about Crusader Kings 2. I'm nearing to around 5000 hours in that game alone. 

Mostly contributed due to fact that this game has total conversion mods for Game of Thrones, Elder scrolls and Warhammer.

The ultimate mix of strategy and roleplaying with nigh infinite possibilities. 

Second comes Stellaris. But that game needs couple of more DLCs before it's perfect.

Now they're releasing the next title of CK3... and I'm going to again abandon all games to play it xD.

Hell, I'm even considering if I should get my lazy ass out there and start modding.

1 minute ago, Quillon said:

Warhammer

love that one too, so much time invested in that one...

2 minutes ago, Quillon said:

Second comes Stellaris

2 minutes ago, Quillon said:

Now they're releasing the next title of CK3...

Stop distracting me!

I have a Skyrim to mod to Oblivion.

oh... oblivion ?

3 minutes ago, Quillon said:

Hell, I'm even considering if I should get my lazy ass out there and start modding.

I thought I do that after I found my ultimate Skyrim combo... but now I fear I have to learn modding to be even able to reach that destination of salvation ?

14 hours ago, donttouchmethere said:

I thought I do that after I found my ultimate Skyrim combo... but now I fear I have to learn modding to be even able to reach that destination of salvation ?

Well, from my experience, CK2 and.... possibly CK3 modding is relatively easy. Event images and sequences are in form of an image and a written text with several options. Consequences and results are in form of modifiers. It's not that hard to get into, fortunately for me. xD

But hey, I've always been told. If you want something specific in your own games, stop asking for it and do it yourself. Which... is reasonable.

Skyrim modding terrifies me. That's why I respect skyrim modders so much. Same for Sims 4 modders. Way too much work put into making something work. 

I'm constantly scanning for mods, but experience helps me not DL everything under the sun.

I'm not interested in modding everything as my start was back in Oblivion. That game, and every Bethesda game since needs them, if even only the 'unofficial patch'.

Sims 3 had mod support built in with the freakin store, so it was easy to find a shitload of mods for that release as well - plus so many people are getting good at it.

Since then I've tried modding a few games out of curiosity, Crusader Kings 2, Older Tomb Raiders, but most games shouldn't need them unless you want some kind of extreme play. Others like above, thrive so much better with mods.

When Fallout 4 was released, I knew my system would struggle, so I waited over a year till new system, and lower price for FO4. New system, new game, and a shitload of new mods means in this one rare case, I never played that game in it's default state, I knew it would be a mess, and have issues.

Because of this adding mods to FO4 made my initial experience so much better than if I had to deal with it in the default state.

Since I've been gaming for many years, I can definitely see modding as a necessity for a much larger selection of games than in my earlier years. Much of this relies on the fact that many games have been either published with missing features and/or buggy coding/controls, or craptastic attempts to 'upgrade' certain playstyles with flashy but useless mechanics, idiotic bullet-sponge concepts instead of strategic placement and better leveling/attribute systems, or just plain, boring and barebones exploration/survival/looting/rewards for overly-extended grind sessions that frustrate more than encourage players.

And the main thing that modding assists with is Replay Value for the amount of money spent on the game. If you have to force yourself through the same cut scenes, the same areas, and the same old crap with the exact same rewards earned ingame (and not spending 20-30 bucks MORE each time for a DLC that doesn't really change much of the same, but might only give you 1 or 2 more items in a new area to grind for), then you'll just toss it to the side and wait for the next itineration of the same. There, you have just 'consumed product' like the corporate assclowns expect from their 'consumers'. I'd rather have moddability for what games I play than hope that another 'product' will lure me into lightening my wallet for another brief period of time before its 'value' expires.

Archived