Steam last update today. Connection problems.

Karen1965

That might be the new UI fucking up, a lot of people are having crashes and stuff with it.

You could find the video to revert the update and see if Steam loads properly after.

It's just the old client files and a lot of people are using it without trouble so there's no risk of it being a problem.

51 minutes ago, Karen1965 said:

Steam today being 3110219 carried out an update. Now I can not connect. I can't even get app to open. Any one else having same problem?. Always report on here as steam can be a bit funny with you when you complain a bit.

It could be that you need to reopen the new exe in your windows firewall, I had that once. Had to remove the old entry, add the new one, then it worked again.

Just got the update myself what a HOG. 500MB of memory!! WHY?? GOD WHY???

Are they crypto mining on my machine?

See? It's stuff like this that makes me hack my own bought games with no-steam hacks, just so I don't have to run that bloated piece of spying shitware on my system.

No, its just a very poorly optimized release.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/dpg9wa/welcome_to_chromium_powered_world/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/dpm12k/can_we_at_least_have_a_proper_low_performance/

Here is more info and some steps to probably revert back to the previous UI

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/dpf378/new_steam_ui_megathread/

In general, people are not happy.

When I turned on Steam I thought I clicked on the wrong thing. Tried a couple times to find my way back to my familiar games page only to realize... I didn't click the wrong thing. ?

It is like the difference between Windows 7 and Windows 10. Just so annoying and unnecessary UI. It's not as bad as Big Picture mode, but then, nothing is. Nothing.

1 hour ago, dontknowdontcaredontask said:

No, its just a very poorly optimized release.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/dpg9wa/welcome_to_chromium_powered_world/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/dpm12k/can_we_at_least_have_a_proper_low_performance/

Here is more info and some steps to probably revert back to the previous UI

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/dpf378/new_steam_ui_megathread/

In general, people are not happy.

That's without mention of the hundreds of threads on the actual Steam community forums.

3 minutes ago, FauxFurry said:

This Steam update looks like a good advertisement for Good Old Games.

If CDPB would get off their asses and work that steam-X agreement for any concurrent titles, the chances of me buying a game on anything else would be pretty much zero. They should really get on that.

57 minutes ago, Karen1965 said:

I kind of not using a firewall. Just deleted steam completely, re-installed, client boot strapper failing. 

1. Seems like your computer can't run the poorly optimized new UI. Check the last link I pasted in my previous reply, there are instructions to revert back to the old UI.

2. Post this in more relevant places, like the Steam forums or the Steam subreddit. There is a lot of complains about this latest update, so chances are low of people being " a bit funny with you" for asking for help there.

If you don't want to download someone else's .exe, you can do some damage control through these settings in Steam.

Enable Low Bandwidth Mod and enable Low Performance Mode.

image.png.23bb36bb590fad59fee32c139a71ccb9.png

In Webbrowser settings, disable: "Allow dekstop webbrowsers to automatically log into Steam"

image.png.6675f0712e031e48a25951b430a0ffc6.png

It's still an abomination tho, using 275MB of RAM:

image.png.de393fad2008704156be0e2c73226de9.png

1 hour ago, Reginald_001 said:

If you don't want to download someone else's .exe, you can do some damage control through these settings in Steam.

Enable Low Bandwidth Mod and enable Low Performance Mode.

image.png.23bb36bb590fad59fee32c139a71ccb9.png

In Webbrowser settings, disable: "Allow dekstop webbrowsers to automatically log into Steam"

image.png.6675f0712e031e48a25951b430a0ffc6.png

It's still an abomination tho, using 275MB of RAM:

image.png.de393fad2008704156be0e2c73226de9.png

One of the tutorials by Leeson shows you how to download that stuff directly from Steam so you don't have to download them from a MEGA link.

5 minutes ago, megamantaray said:

One of the tutorials by Leeson shows you how to download that stuff directly from Steam so you don't have to download them from a MEGA link.

I don't want to make this a discussion into whether or not it's a smart idea to roll back or not. I think it's up to everyone to decide that for themselves.

Personally I think the security updates are worth the hassle of keeping my Steam updated and not using the old GUI. Before you know it there's some kind of security issue in it or it introduces other issues we hadn't seen/read about yet. This is early days of this issue and I don't think locking down my Steam install (preventing it from updating) will be the long term best solution. As I'm not noticing performance drops in my games I left it updated for now. Hopefully they'll listen to the complaints, until then I'm just running Steam on a lower priority and with those settings.

54 minutes ago, Reginald_001 said:

I don't want to make this a discussion into whether or not it's a smart idea to roll back or not. I think it's up to everyone to decide that for themselves.

Personally I think the security updates are worth the hassle of keeping my Steam updated and not using the old GUI. Before you know it there's some kind of security issue in it or it introduces other issues we hadn't seen/read about yet. This is early days of this issue and I don't think locking down my Steam install (preventing it from updating) will be the long term best solution. As I'm not noticing performance drops in my games I left it updated for now. Hopefully they'll listen to the complaints, until then I'm just running Steam on a lower priority and with those settings.

Yeah I'm just saying it's just an option, for people whose Steam doesn't even start up because it crashes instantly or doesn't render, or stutters into being useless it's a necessity though.

Here's hoping.

19 hours ago, Reginald_001 said:

Security update would not be necessary, would there not be these crappy games platforms!
simple Game DvD buy, Install and play without annoying spying, because many games online compulsion!
Steam is me since some time, indifferent, no matter, it is deactivated with the help of a no-steam crack. :classic_wink:

5 hours ago, Alkpaz said:

I just run on "-no-browser" it uses 78MB instead of ~350MB. 

Reveal hidden contents

1572543481_Untitled2.jpg1572571805_-no-browser.jpg

This is obviously under Win 7. The results should be similar on Win 10. 

I've heard that GoG Galaxy 2.0 allows you to use games from Steam and Epic, but it launches those games via their launchers, so they still run, sadly. 

This works great. Good tip!

Archived