There's a new alternative to FNIS

It's called "Nemesis - Unlimited Skyrim Behavior Engine"

made by ShikyoKira (same person that made ultimate dodge)

It's still in BETA, for SSE and Legendary

Spoiler

How the launcher looks like 

nem1.png.68fa6d325a8c77db9a73b76b1a65f6c1.png

So far it supports

Every animation type that FNIS does (and supposedly more)

No hard limit on animations (current 21k)

Pros over FNIS:

Much larger animation amount (right now running over 20k- (bilyy/anub/leito/nibbles/MNC/), I don't CTD like I used to when using FNIS)

Has its own PCEA  (player exclusive animations) 

Cons over FNIS:

Long ass installation into NMM (took me 40 mins)

Some mods have warnings if they use FNIS animation options- e.g. down below

Doesnt work with some mods relying solely on FNIS, eg (Halo's poser, Riding Styles, but others work)

Spoiler

nem2.png.389d3f35d67015c7ab03e4243bbc1464.pngnem3.png.0e59a20ec7b77ba86fee16f8736e0595.png

Discussion of the mod:

/r/skyrimmods discussion

Download:

Link for SSE/Legendary

Nexus page for when mod author releases:

Nexus

Only problems I've run into so far using this mod-

There is a chance that TDF Aroused Idles will replace your armbinder idle, making it so your arms escape the armbinder 

Riding styles starts to work but then the animation swaps to a devious devices binder idle

Halo's poser causes an error in Nemesis itself,  meaning you cant generate behaviors with it in your load order 

Basically you will have to test out your mods to see if they work with each-other, I had to edit my modlist to remove mods whose animations stopped being compatible 

Also: I do not use combat mods, so I don't know how compatible it is with them, but it has options just like FNIS where you may select patches for it. 

Been using this for a month and it works pretty damn well, and unlike PCEA 1, custom anims stay only on the specified target/path and not just 'anyone whom isn't a regular race', so now my Ka'Po'Tun is the sole user of his personal martial art and it offers more single instance behavior swaps than pcea2 (recovery, dodging, searching, opening etc)

Not saying it's the definitive FNIS replacer yet, but it's very well put together, and Shikyo's past work is pretty exemplary.

I've been following this myself as well. It's suppose to extend beyond humanoids only and he wants to support first person animations into the mix once the initial release is out. I do know that the guys at Skywind had to find an alternative since creating Cliff Racers to not look janky, so they ended up devising a method that didn't need SKSE nor FNIS to work.

There also have been long discussions on how the fabric of animations would change if there was a way to support non-standard animations and possibly new creature animations altogether.  From my search, behaviour files are well known in how they function and there have been proof of concepts on having unique animations for each race which can be further refined into a unique animation set to each race and associated gender.

The creator of Nemesis also has a small Youtube channel, one of the videos demonstrates a proof of concept to get unsheathing attacks ala Monster Hunter or Souls to work in Skyrim. The guy is also the author of The Ultimate Dodge mod, there was a whole debacle on it and the creation Nemesis was the ultimate result of that debacle from what I can gather.

i wish it worked for me

all i get is a bunch of WARNING(1026): Invalid option and this at the end

Output:

Starting 1 compile threads for 1 files...

Compiling "Nemesis_AA_Core"...

<unknown>(0,0): unable to locate script Nemesis_AA_Core

No output generated for Nemesis_AA_Core.psc, compilation failed.

ERROR(1185): Failed to output C:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data\scripts\Nemesis_AA_Core.pex

Failed to generate behavior

32 minutes ago, 2Dimm said:

i wish it worked for me

all i get is a bunch of WARNING(1026): Invalid option and this at the end

That's the same general error FNIS gives with MO2's virtual folder system. If you're running Nemesis in MO2, run it, let it give you the error, close it, and then open it again and it should work.

18 minutes ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

That's the same general error FNIS gives with MO2's virtual folder system. If you're running Nemesis in MO2, run it, let it give you the error, close it, and then open it again and it should work.

didnt work unfortunately :C

i use MO1 btw, and FNIS works fine

2 hours ago, 27X said:

Been using this for a month and it works pretty damn well, and unlike PCEA 1, custom anims stay only on the specified target/path and not just 'anyone whom isn't a regular race', so now my Ka'Po'Tun is the sole user of his personal martial art and it offers more single instance behavior swaps than pcea2 (recovery, dodging, searching, opening etc)

Not saying it's the definitive FNIS replacer yet, but it's very well put together, and Kiryo's past work is pretty exemplary.

Thanks for the info. I just found out about this today (thanks to that /r/skyrimmods thread), and while it sounded good, I wasn't too sure about it. If you say it looks good, chances are it's pretty damn good indeed, so I'll have to keep a closer eye on the project.

45 minutes ago, MadMansGun said:

i've seen this "Nemesis" thing before, but i have one important question about it:

is it compatible with this mod?

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/92589/

everyone wants to use my animations with that mod but i can't do jack shit about it because FNIS does not support it.

if I got it right, Play as a Dragon includes edited behaviour files that cut off the flight animations from the vanilla flight system and instead bind them to jumping and falling and such to create a fake "flight" effect when combined with the "Better Jumping" mod. If Nemesis can somehow add the SL dragon anims to the PD behaviour files (or maybe add the PD behaviour tweaks to a "standard" dragon behaviour that also includes SL anims), it may be able to fix it.

The fact that Nemesis supports Character Behaviours Extended (which AFAIK does something kinda like what PD does, but for humanoids?) is very promising, but someone that actually knows how all that stuff works would have to confirm whether Nemesis may be able to add SL support to PD.

1 hour ago, 2Dimm said:

Output:

ERROR(1185): Failed to output C:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data\scripts\Nemesis_AA_Core.pex

Got the same error on MO1.

2 hours ago, 27X said:

If you're running skyrim in program x86, fnis can give you the same issue, which is why you move steam to its own directory.

everything i install is in a folder called programs, including Steam, Skyrim which is inside the steam folder and MO1, i have basically nothing in the Program Files and Program Files x86 folders

35 minutes ago, StepanBo said:

Just for case: are there separate version for SE and LE or only one suitable both for LE and SE? I play on LE but I found nothing with "LE' in its title so I downloaded "Nemesis.Unlimited.Behavior.Engine.v0.8aSE-beta"

You downloaded the wrong one.

4 hours ago, 2Dimm said:

everything i install is in a folder called programs, including Steam, Skyrim which is inside the steam folder and MO1, i have basically nothing in the Program Files and Program Files x86 folders

Then the issue is you need the PCEA core module for Nemesis which is not on the repository yet. It's not in the repository yet because Kira doesn't want to be flooded by complaints about _______ doesn't work a million times by a million people before the mod is actually ready for launch. This is a beta in every sense of the word.

There are two versions of the mod, if you just DL'd the github version you don't have the PCEA module.

Also xpmse has a hard requirement for FNIS which will need to be 'patched' by an empty plugin, so if you're using xpmse and nemesis, you need a fake FNIS plugin or you will get issues.

3 hours ago, davisev5225 said:

You downloaded the wrong one.

So LE versions are that ones without "SSE" in title? Alright, now I've downloaded a correct version. Thanks.

1 hour ago, 27X said:

Then the issue is you need the PCEA core module for Nemesis which is not on the repository yet. It's not in the repository yet because Kira doesn't want to be flooded by complaints about _______ doesn't work a million times by a million people before the mod is actually ready for launch. This is a beta in every sense of the word.

There are two versions of the mod, if you just DL'd the github version you don't have the PCEA module.

Also xpmse has a hard requirement for FNIS which will need to be 'patched' by an empty plugin, so if you're using xpmse and nemesis, you need a fake FNIS plugin or you will get issues.

Is there any guide for Nemesis? All that you said above doesn't seem obvious (for me at least). And I have a question on what you said before:

16 hours ago, 27X said:

Not saying it's the definitive FNIS replacer yet, but it's very well put together, and Shikyo's past work is pretty exemplary.

So can FNIS and Nemesis be used together or I need to disable FNIS and make a dummy plugin to meet XPMSE requirement?

12 minutes ago, StepanBo said:

So LE versions are that ones without "SSE" in title? Alright, now I've downloaded a correct version. Thanks.

Is there any guide for Nemesis? All that you said above doesn't seem obvious (for me at least).

Not really, as it's a beta.  People keep running out to cry it as the best thing ever in the history of having things and here we are. Meanwhile, FNIS works on a shit ton of things and has six years of work in it.

aka:

Time and patience are ever your friend and ally. Currently there are reasons to use nemesis and separate reasons to use FNIS. Those things will very prolly change in the future, right now they haven't. Pro and Con, Give and take, etc etc.

Opensauce will replace proprietary, that's a given. In the meantime you need to be aware of what you're installing and why, without getting political about it, cause that ways lies whining, butthurt, madness, and death.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, 27X said:

Not really, as it's a beta.  People keep running out to cry it as the best thing ever in the history of having things and here we are. Meanwhile, FNIS works on a shit ton of things and has six years of work in it.

aka:

Time and patience are ever your friend and ally. Currently there are reasons to use nemesis and separate reasons to use FNIS. Those things will very prolly change in the future, right now they haven't. Pro and Con, Give and take, etc etc.

Got it, thanks.

5 hours ago, 27X said:

lol its PCEA then, he could have at least said it not compatible in the github page... not sharing the fixed PCEA version basically is creating more issues for people completely unaware like me, the FNIS esp thing i knew about

I use MO 1 and I get this error, too: 

Output:

ERROR(1185): Failed to output D:\Games\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data\scripts\Nemesis_AA_Core.pex

As one can see, Skyrim is in its own folder D:\Games\[...] and I don't use PCEA or the XPMSE plugin. What else could I do to get this to work? I would like to try it :/ 

3 hours ago, 2Dimm said:

lol its PCEA then, he could have at least said it not compatible in the github page... not sharing the fixed PCEA version basically is creating more issues for people completely unaware like me, the FNIS esp thing i knew about

Except it is compatible, provided you have access to the file.