The Outer Worlds time exclusive on EPIC Game Store

nightwing100

1 hour ago, succubin said:

So you break law just to download a cracked game that may contain huge load of malware. And you tell everyone that you are going to commit a crime. Genius.

I know that it is illegal to acquire a pirate copy.
but I have slowly the snout full, every newly published game, own game store, own gaming platform, for me it is enough!
I have games on Steam, Ubiplay, GOG Galaxy, Orion etc, all inclusive (ironic)!
I wish the time back when I went to a shop, bought a games DVD.
then just install it, without anyone looking over my shoulder, if I am now (today) install a game, then I feel watched. :classic_wink:

20 hours ago, succubin said:

So it is not possible to actually read the program output in the screenshot to verify statements that author of this picture makes? Do I have to believe to a bunch of swears?

You don't have to believe anything. You're free to test it yourself.

Why is epic launcher called a bothet, if author claims it just reading some sertificates (which is necessary for establishing secure connections)?

No clue. Never even heard the term Botnet before this. I do get that it would be reading certificates to connect securely. But why would it be looking at other certificates? Why would it be looking at your IE settings?

Why is process monitor used for prooving network activity, not a special software like TCPView?

How fiddler can decrypt if something encrypted by public key, if the private key is necessary to decrypt it afterwards?

What is suspicious in some traffic in software that was made for network activity?

What is suspicious in connecting to two or more domains? One can be used for auth purpose, another one is a CDN edge server for static content, it is the most obvious reason, but there can be even more connections and non of them are used for illegal purposes.

No clue. You'd have to ask the OP on 9Gag for that.

Don't you feel even slightest trace of shame when you are supporting this crap by spreading such jokes you just posted.

Nope, not really. Just take a look at some of the other links people have posted. Which are way worse.

So I can admit maybe not everything in that picture is as fishy as it's made out to be. But if you just read over the other links people have posted. You can see Epic is clearly doing something fishy.

So maybe it's not a Botnet. I don't know what a Botnet is. But I do know what a Spyware is. And it's not good.

On 3/31/2019 at 4:33 PM, ToJKa said:

I don't for a minute believe that Epic could, or would, use that launcher of theirs to take over your computer to use it as a part of a DDoS attack on Steam, or something.

Turns out i was wrong, Steam just went down ?

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, FauxFurry said:

Thanks to the Xbox Game Pass, the timed exclusivity is more or less limited to excluding Steam from the party. PC players can avoid the Epic Store yet if they are willing to pay the subscription fee.

Or just be patient and wait it out. Not that I'd have a shortage of games to play. My backlog is big enough to carry me over 2...maybe 3 years of Epic exclusives.

ALL OF THIS BS about EPIC store is such Crap.  They don't do any more spyware & removing of shit  from your computer than Micro$oft's Window 10. If you want to play, youll get it and play. If not, you going to have to suffer waiting an entire year. Everything has upsides and downsites. Get over it.  Only difference is you can bitch till your hearts content on steam, you cant on epic,  lower charging of game makers vs 30%.

If there is any monitoring, get over it, Win10 already does it. If someone else does, what does it matter? 

Another point, I have read somewhere Epic said they would stop EXCLUSIVES  if steam charged game makers a lower price.  IF Steam is as awesome as you guys keep bitching/whinning about. Steam would have gotten off its butt, and did something and poof no more exclusives. NO It didn't. steam doesnt care one way or another. Thats probably what pisses everyone off so badly.

Yes, because the way to make profit is to give up the way that makes you competitive if your competition makes it self MORE competitive :classic_rolleyes:

I know people are getting stupider each generation, but don't tell me someone actually bought that "making the gaming market better" BS from Epic? This is just them buying out market dominance and become the new Steam.

If it wasn't for that exclusive BS i'd welcome the competition, Steam sorely needs that. But as it is, fuck Epic and fuck everyone who took their money.

On 6/25/2019 at 9:12 AM, FauxFurry said:

Thanks to the Xbox Game Pass, the timed exclusivity is more or less limited to excluding Steam from the party. PC players can avoid the Epic Store yet if they are willing to pay the subscription fee.

How about no? GaaS is an even bigger cancer than Epic and their exclusives.

Huh, Epic has promised to pay refunds to pissed off Shenmue kickstarter backers. Since i suspect they are already running their store at a loss, i can't but wonder how long can their finances take this?

When Outer Worlds was first announced I was intrigued.  Then they announced it was first person only, then no romances and finally it's an Epic exclusive.  It's reached the point where I have no interest at all in the game.

What Epic is doing is a typical loss-leader operation (in the semiconductor industry we called it dumping).  They operate at a big loss in the hopes of driving competition out of business.  Once they establish a monopoly they think they can make up their losses by doing whatever they want.  It's a big gamble and if the cash-cow they are depending on to fund it falters the company will have serious problems.  I hope they fall flat on their faces.

7 hours ago, DoctaSax said:

Epic gets plenty of funding from both Fortnite and the percentage game studios pay them for the Unreal Engine, so it's unlikely they'll falter any time soon.

So long as studios realize their games won't sell on the EGS and stop falling for the timed exclusive BS, I don't give a damn about Epic proper. Simply seeing EGS fall flat on its face would be enough.

5 hours ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

So long as studios realize their games won't sell on the EGS and stop falling for the timed exclusive BS, I don't give a damn about Epic proper. Simply seeing EGS fall flat on its face would be enough.

in germany it says "fall on the snout" :classic_laugh:

funny-falling-72.gif

or, who very high want falls deeply. :classic_wink:

anigif_enhanced-buzz-4822-1368614292-2.g

On 6/25/2019 at 2:12 AM, FauxFurry said:

It was always about excluding Steam. Epic isn't stupid there's no way they would try to exclude MS and Sony that would be cutting their own throat.

Archived