[mod] [CK2] Tale of Nine Tails

[CK2] Tale of Nine Tails

Tale of Nine Tails

Version 1.5.4

This mod expands one of Luxuria Fantasia's races: Kitsune.

Kitsune are fox spirits (yokai) from a Japanese folklore, most known for their ability to shapeshift into human form, though they also possess a wide array of magical abilities. Other East Asian countries have their own variation of shapeshifting fox spirits: Huli jing (China) and Kumiho (Korea).

While this mod only loosely follows myths and stories (had to make it fit CK2 better, and to make them stand out a little), it also integrates some things from other Asian fox myths.

There's also a standalone portrait pack, if you just want new, more varied static portraits for kitsune with Luxuria Fantasia (52 female, 26 male), but not the rest of the mod. Don't use Portrait Pack and the mod itself together!

Important! As English is not my native language, localisation quality is much lower than I would like it to be. I will rewrite most of it as I will get better at English and wrting,

Features:

• Tail system; as you age, grow new tails and with them increase your power and spell selection.
  • Magic; Essence (mana), all new spells spend your essence, amount of essence depends on number of tails you have, and it regenerates over time. Be careful not to overuse your magic, consequences can cost you your life!
  • Wide selection of spells; healing, different shapeshifting spells, some illusion tricks to influence others minds. Some spells become more powerful as you get new tails.
  • New events! Some of them accessible even without playing as a kitsune.
  • Many minor additions (minor title, artifacts, some small changes to Luxuria Fantasia stuff, kitsunes become immortal after getting second tail, and others)

Not a bug/Working as intended:

• Kitsune are not allowed to use magic from Luxuria Fantasia and some of the Society of Seduction's powers.

Planned features (in no particular order):

Spoiler
  • Proper balancing
  • More events, including flavour events without significant outcomes
  • Additional spells
  • New artifacts
  • Unique NPC
  • Expanding depth of magic system
  • Whatever else will come to my mind

Requirements:

• Crusader Kings II, version 3.0.1+
  • Luxuria Fantasia

Not required, but needed for some features:

• Way of Life DLC (Some events locked behind focuses)
  • Dark World Extras (Some events use DWE traits and modifiers, those events (only one now) unavailable without DWE)

Compatibility (if not in the list, then untested):

• Luxuria Fantasia: required for mod to work
  • Dark World Extras; fully compatible, some features depends on DWE being installed
  • Dark World Beyond Heresy; fully compatible
  • House Irae: fully compatible
  • Dark World Tentacles: fully compatible
  • DroZzhat's Mod: untested, but there is some checks for having traits from it
  • Dark World Fantasy: outdated, use Luxuria Fantasia instead
  • Dark World Reborn: untested
  • Dark World Toska: not compatible, use Dark World Extras instead

Credits:

• dewguru - for creating Dark World
  • lockeslylcrit - maintaining Dark World Fantasy/Luxuria Fantasia, helping to figure out CK2 modding, editoring for some event descriptions
  • AnonymousDutch (I hope I've got your LL nickname right) - localisation for several events
  • NoxBestia - for permission to use Darkest Perversions trait icons
  • Cheri Song - for adding some changes to DW Tentacles to make some of my integration features possible
  • Double A - looking through localisation files and editing them into something less crappy

Full changelog is moved to a text file inside of a mod folder!

Version 1.0.1 is released.

Changelog:

• Tweaks to amount of maximum essence with different amount of tails (It still goes from 10 to 90)
  • Tweaks to spell costs and progression (No more getting new spells only on second/fourth/sixth tails)
  • Gender-shift spell also cures being castrated now
  • Unlanded kitsunes are not locked from getting five or more tails anymore

Should be save compatible

5 hours ago, whateverdontcare said:

You said " (this is not yet implemented, feel free to spam spells) " about the essence thing, but one of the screenshots shows you hovering over an essence modifier.

This is about consequences for overusing them, not about essence stuff itself. Right now, if you get to zero, nothing will happen. But eventually there will be something.

16 minutes ago, Jarod-Cain said:

I have to say, I like what I've seen so far and that it is nice to have some flavor for the Kitsune.

Are you going to be adding anything for the Neko or any special interactions between the different types of beings added in DWF and the Kitsune?

Doubt I will be adding anything for other races, unless it directly related to Kitsunes in some way. As for special interactions, I have couple events planned, and one of already existing events (it is very rare though) goes different depending on what race you are.

9 hours ago, MagnaSonic3000 said:

I assume you get a new tail every 100 years.

No, if it was like that, then game would be over before you even able to get eight tail if starting in 769. You "get" first tail trait on adulthood, or when using starting decision, then can get second when 20 years old, and a new one every 10 years. There is a progressively bigger piety costs for each new tail, so while you can get ninth tail when 90 years old, you probably only will have 5-6 at that point. It can be boring to play as one character for several centuries, so thats why it lowered so much. Though I will look into increasing time needed later, if its too fast.

Version 1.0.2 is released.

Changelog:

• Gender-shift spell also lets you to become a futa now
  • Gender-shift spell is now locked behind DWF gender bend rule
  • Nomad version of Kitsune Shrine
  • Kitsunes recruited by a DWF Recruit Exotic Race decision is Taoist now
  • Essence costs of changing size of your dick/tits is based on size change now (1/1/2/2/3/4 Essence)
  • Kitsunes can't become a alu-fiend/cambion/succubi/incubi anymore. They are already a demons, just of a different type
  • Small localisation fixes, mostly broken localisation keys

Version 1.0.3 is released.

Dark World Fantasy of version 1.6.3+ is required.

Changelog:

• Compatibility with DWF 1.6.3 (Required for 1.0.3)
    • Kitsune recruited by Recruit Exotic Race decision are now Shinto
    • As DWF now have a separate version of Kiss of Seduction specially made for integration with ToNT, Kitsune are not allowed to use CoL version anymore

2 hours ago, Rascalov1337 said:

Version 1.0.3 is released.

Dark World Fantasy of version 1.6.3+ is required.

Changelog:

• Compatibility with DWF 1.6.3 (Required for 1.0.3)
    • Kitsune recruited by Recruit Exotic Race decision are now Shinto
    • As DWF now have a separate version of Kiss of Seduction specially made for integration with ToNT, Kitsune are not allowed to use CoL version anymore

What? When did Dark World add Shinto to the game? Is it any good?

Version 1.0.4 is released.

Dark World Fantasy of version 1.7+ is required.

Changelog:

• Compatibility with DWF 1.7

While I don't changed anything that could break saves, broken saves is still a possibility, as DWF just got a big update, though it doesn't seems like anything will be broken.

Version 1.0.5 is released.

Changelog:

• Compatibility with DWF 1.8
    • Nomad kitsune shrine from DWF 1.8 is replaced by one from ToNT
  • Fixed bug with nomads not being able to assign Kitsune Acolytes after their version of kitsune shrine is built

Unless latest DWF update is save breaking, old saves still should work

3 hours ago, Arigas said:

Quick question, should we not be getting the Immortal trait with the second tail? I base this entirely on the event text, but can't find it being added at all in the events file and I can't see any indication in game of my character becoming Immortal.

There is a hidden trait with "immortal = yes". "Immortal" trait itself adds too much health, which means diseases can't get you. And I didn't wanted that, so unless you have many tails (they give health boost), you still can die from diseases.

23 hours ago, Rascalov1337 said:

There is a hidden trait with "immortal = yes". "Immortal" trait itself adds too much health, which means diseases can't get you. And I didn't wanted that, so unless you have many tails (they give health boost), you still can die from diseases.

"immortal = yes" should stop diseases from killing you as well. The only thing that can kill an immortal is events. 

37 minutes ago, zia said:

"immortal = yes" should stop diseases from killing you as well. The only thing that can kill an immortal is events. 

It don't stop death from diseases. Got half of my dynasty killed by a smallpox epidemic in one of my test games. Immortal trait stops diseases because of +10 health. No disease in the game strong enough to get through that.

I've only been playing with a kitsune character for about an hour and I'm really enjoying it already. Playing as an immortal spellslinger is always great. Have a suggestion thought. One that would address the only problem I've run into while playing as a kitsune. Getting enough piety to grow more tails can be pretty difficult depending on your location and religion. Adding a little decision event chain to build your own shrine at your capital for locals to worship at would address my piety problems. It would act as a money sink that generates some piety.

The shrine could also serve as a springboard for other events. Accepting offerings, choosing between being a zenko/yako, worshiping Inari and acting as their messenger or expanding your worship across your country and founding your own religion. I don't really know anything about kitsune outside of what Wikipedia tells me so I'm sure there is more that can be done with the idea. 

With all of that said I look forward to future updates, irrespective of my half-baked ideas inclusion in them.