Jump to content

Game Just Won't Start! What Happened?


C5Kev

Recommended Posts

Yesterday and without warning, LE simply won't start - with or without SKSE.  I just now re-DL'ed the game for the third time and even in vanilla trim, it won't start.  I click on .exe's, the little blue circle spins (Win 10), then stops. The end.  After having a very stable, pretty heavily modded game for a looong time, what would cause the game to suddenly start to do this?   I've tried just about everything I can think of: run everything as an Admin, new Nvidia drivers, etc., etc.   This is VERY weird and I'm out of ideas.

 

Any suggesting are appreciated!

Link to comment
1 minute ago, the8one said:

Try starting with enb set only to speed boost and no graphics enhancement. That managed to screw up my game for awhile because a setting got randomly changed.

 

thanks for your response.  How would one do that?

 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, C5Kev said:

Yesterday and without warning, LE simply won't start - with or without SKSE.  I just now re-DL'ed the game for the third time and even in vanilla trim, it won't start.  I click on .exe's, the little blue circle spins (Win 10), then stops. The end.  After having a very stable, pretty heavily modded game for a looong time, what would cause the game to suddenly start to do this?   I've tried just about everything I can think of: run everything as an Admin, new Nvidia drivers, etc., etc.   This is VERY weird and I'm out of ideas.

 

Any suggesting are appreciated!

Okay i might be saying something stupid, but ...if you play the game via steam (on or offline, doesnt matter) unplug your internet cable. It is possible you need to update skse and your mods since the weekend steam/beth update is making beth games close prematurely.
At least i have a similar issue to yours and its happening to my oldrim, skyrim se, and fallout 4, i pull the cable and then it starts as it should.

Link to comment

To do this you will have to edit the enblocal.ini and the following link should give you all the info you need.

https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:ENB#ENBSeries_Installation

Specifically you would edit the line

UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=false

and change it into
UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=true

 

 

All this does is turn off your enb so you can do the same thing by removing the enb files. If after doing that skyrim starts up, great, If not the problem is something else.
 

Link to comment
1 minute ago, skeev said:

Okay i might be saying something stupid, but ...if you play the game via steam (on or offline, doesnt matter) unplug your internet cable. It is possible you need to update skse and your mods since the weekend update is making beth games close prematurely.
At least i have a similar issue to yours and its happening to my oldrim, skyrim se, and fallout 4, i pull the cable and then it starts as it should.

 

Weekend update?  SKSE is 1.7.3...

 

Link to comment
Just now, the8one said:

To do this you will have to edit the enblocal.ini and the following link should give you all the info you need.

https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:ENB#ENBSeries_Installation

Specifically you would edit the line

UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=false

and change it into
UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=true

 

 

All this does is turn off your enb so you can do the same thing by removing the enb files. If after doing that skyrim starts up, great, If not the problem is something else.
 

 

As I mentioned, ENB or non-SKSE (vanilla) setup, the game won't start, so I think it's something else.

 

Link to comment
1 minute ago, the8one said:

I will say that I did just get Skyrim LE to run like 2 hours ago with no issues, so I don't think its likely to be an update...

 

unless it just hasn't gotten to me yet?

LOL!   Hope yer OK, this is REALLY aggravating...

 

Link to comment
Spoiler
2 hours ago, C5Kev said:

Yesterday and without warning, LE simply won't start - with or without SKSE.  I just now re-DL'ed the game for the third time and even in vanilla trim, it won't start.  I click on .exe's, the little blue circle spins (Win 10), then stops. The end.  After having a very stable, pretty heavily modded game for a looong time, what would cause the game to suddenly start to do this?   I've tried just about everything I can think of: run everything as an Admin, new Nvidia drivers, etc., etc.   This is VERY weird and I'm out of ideas.

 

Any suggesting are appreciated!

 

 

Back to basics. Run LOOT and look for error messages.

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Psalam said:
  Reveal hidden contents

 

 

Back to basics. Run LOOT and look for error messages.

 

Can't get more basic than vanilla.  Loot only shows the usual dirty Beth mods until cleaning... 

 

4 minutes ago, the8one said:

Wait a minute, you did run Skyrim once from steam so it can figure out its setting on first launch after reinstalling it right? If not that could also play a role.

 

Yeah, I always do that.

 

Link to comment
11 minutes ago, Pauduan said:

Remove ini files.

 

Start using launcher and allow the creation of new files (temporarily move or rename d3d9.dll).

 

Your game should start working now.

 

Backup the ini files.

 

Tweak them to your liking.

 

You know, I tried all that last "entire game download", so I DL'ed it again ( #4) !  I've got the game running now, but since I have no idea what the hell is going on, I'm installing mods very slowly and trying not to make any loud noises...  LOL!   ...walking on eggshells here.  This is so ri-fucking - diculous.

 

My game was just fine, I installed DCL and BAM!  Game wouldn't start (not saying DCL is the culprit) and have been fooling around with this for a day and a half.  Never seen or heard of anything like this before. CTD'ing I get, but not even starting?

 

Link to comment

I would make sure you delete all traces of your previous installs of Skyrim before reinstalling.  Make sure you delete the folder for save games... usually under Documents/My Games/Skyrim.  Just delete that whole Skyrim folder to be safe.   Delete the files in the Skyrim Steam folder too, I'm assuming you know where that is if you are doing Skyrim modding.

Link to comment

In Win10, Skyrim LE can stop work sudently and whitout error, warning or CTD. Simply not start.

Can be caused by the Automatic Windows Update. 

Can change the video drivers, patch directx and make a lot of aberrant things.

 

If you are ussing ENB try totally disable it. Rename d3d9.dll to d3d9_enb.dll and try again.

Try others game. Can be a problem in DirectX or video driver or sound driver.

 

If your game not start when install Deviously Cursed Loot can be a normal problem like faulting master. DCL have a lot of dependencies.

Link to comment

I never knew Old Skyrim was stable. I spent just over 6 years playing it for 15 minutes at a time, because that's all it would run at a time. That's with and without mods. The very first time I played the game, it crashed mid way through the cart ride to Helgen. How's that for stable? Now if I try to play it, I can get to the Bethesda screen and it'll crash 10 or 12 times in a row, and most of the time when it gets to the main menu it crashes. It might take me 20 tries just to get a game to load up, and when I do get a game loaded, it might only work for 2 minutes before it crashes. It's completely unplayable, and I'm tired of messing with it.

 

Fallout 4 on the other hand, being 64 bit, it's as smooth and as stable as you could ever imagine. I can play 10 or 12 hours straight without saving, and it just doesn't crash, it doesn't stutter. To paraphrase Todd Howard: "It does just work".

Link to comment
9 minutes ago, Dallas-Arbiter said:

I never knew Old Skyrim was stable. I spent just over 6 years playing it for 15 minutes at a time, because that's all it would run at a time. That's with and without mods. The very first time I played the game, it crashed mid way through the cart ride to Helgen. How's that for stable? Now if I try to play it, I can get to the Bethesda screen and it'll crash 10 or 12 times in a row, and most of the time when it gets to the main menu it crashes. It might take me 20 tries just to get a game to load up, and when I do get a game loaded, it might only work for 2 minutes before it crashes. It's completely unplayable, and I'm tired of messing with it.

 

Fallout 4 on the other hand, being 64 bit, it's as smooth and as stable as you could ever imagine. I can play 10 or 12 hours straight without saving, and it just doesn't crash, it doesn't stutter. To paraphrase Todd Howard: "It does just work".

????

Link to comment
Spoiler
19 minutes ago, Dallas-Arbiter said:

I never knew Old Skyrim was stable. I spent just over 6 years playing it for 15 minutes at a time, because that's all it would run at a time. That's with and without mods. The very first time I played the game, it crashed mid way through the cart ride to Helgen. How's that for stable? Now if I try to play it, I can get to the Bethesda screen and it'll crash 10 or 12 times in a row, and most of the time when it gets to the main menu it crashes. It might take me 20 tries just to get a game to load up, and when I do get a game loaded, it might only work for 2 minutes before it crashes. It's completely unplayable, and I'm tired of messing with it.

 

Fallout 4 on the other hand, being 64 bit, it's as smooth and as stable as you could ever imagine. I can play 10 or 12 hours straight without saving, and it just doesn't crash, it doesn't stutter. To paraphrase Todd Howard: "It does just work".

 

 

It sounds to me like someone is missing masters or is trying to load too many animations. Maybe they haven't used Crash fixes or ENBoost. Maybe they are unfamiliar with the glories of LOOT and FNIS? I have to admit that, like Donttouchmethere, I just don't get that. ?

Link to comment

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. For more information, see our Privacy Policy & Terms of Use