How do you deal with loneliness?

TabooGood

I keep aging.

I´ve got people around me, while I´m working...

I´ve got a lovely wife...

But still:

As older I get, the more I enjoy some time alone.

It happens a few time each year, that I pick myself a week of vacation ( on purpose! ), exactly while my wife must still be at work.

Truth be told, I'm an introvert. I get exhausted in social interactions and am cripplingly shy talking to women.

I value my alone time. I play certain video games with amazing combat and edit my short stories in my off time. Maybe watch some YouTube videos.

In fact, I value my alone time a little too much.

Even introverts are supposed to socialize. I've been purposefully contacting friends and family so I can get out more to stop myself thinking about it, or I get stuck in a loop.

As much as I don't like socializing that much, I've come to realize 3 things.

1. My family outside of my mother, father, and sister kind of suck and I hate social interaction with THEM.

2. My friends are just as chill and understanding as a good friend should be and I'm lucky enough to get to socialize with them often and when I do, it helps my loneliness.

3. You won't know about meeting good people and making new friends until you go looking, either on or offline. There's someone out there for everyone! Friend or future spouse!

I went from having dozens of 'friends' to 1 good friend and 2 really good acquaintances... I've always been a loner. When I was married, all through my marriage, I had literal dreams of living on my own. They never went away all during my 15 year marriage. I finally took the leap and am happy for it. I like being alone more than anything. It allows me to write, binge watch series, have Doom or Fallout binge weekends, have a CLEAN house for once... I'm king of this castle and I love it way too much.

When I used to get lonely, it did happen, I took good care of myself. I watched a nice movie or series with something nice to eat or drink or I took a long hot bath/shower. The most important thing is to take good care of yourself, have a clean house (that's most important) and always cook for yourself, always... It's the simple things that matter, doing them well enforces the idea that there is always someone there for you (namely: You). Once you get that, you never really feel lonely again. Basically, I'm my own mom. ?

Find yourself passions, projects and goals to achieve.

Gamers would feel less lonely when refining skills difficult to acquire in competitive games, sportsmen/martial artists would feel less lonely when trying to beat their personal record, writers would feel less lonely when their mind is busy thinking at their next work. And as a storyteller, I can tell you, creating stories can be a massive time sink. :classic_happy:

10 minutes ago, Tirloque said:

Malicia : « It doesn't matter, as long as you're talking to him/her, you're not lonely anymore, you see ? ?

?

11 minutes ago, Tirloque said:

Only thing, avoid women in reinder outfits, they're not trustworthy, no. :classic_sleep: »

?

4 minutes ago, Resdayn said:

?

?

You seem to disagree with Malicia's expert way of thinking.... :classic_biggrin:

Anyway, despite her somewhat peculiar vision ; she has a point in the fact that finding good friends might be a way of solving loneliness issues. :classic_wink:

4 minutes ago, Tirloque said:

You seem to disagree with Malicia's expert way of thinking.... :classic_biggrin:

Anyway, despite her somewhat peculiar vision ; she has a point in the fact that finding good friends might be a way of solving loneliness issues. :classic_wink:

I have friends :P 

I don't.

I don't get lonely, quite the opposite, usually there's too many other buggers around. I like my life quiet, hell I usually go out of my way to be in places where I won't get friends/family/visitors knocking on my door. First in the place I lovingly named "Cthulu Cottage" a tiny place in the uk, in middle of the woods and a complete pain in the arse to get to with no paths/roads. (It earned it's name from me because it was creepy as fuck in the dark, quite literally the type of place in a stephen king or James Herbert novel where depressed alcoholic authors go to get over their writer's block and unwittingly unleash the tentacled abyss.) and now the cold north, a smoll village hidden amidst the fjords of Norway where most people I know either can't afford or can't be bothered to fly out fer a visit.

Usually if'n I need human interaction there's email or discord ( I'd say phone but ehh, no voice :3) Visitors tend to bother me, not that I'm inhospitable, I tend to be perfectly polite to 'em. But I get easily irritated when people are clomping around my house, find my concentration on stuff broken even if they're not actually talking/interacting with me. The missis, the gaggle of cats and the hound don't seem to trigger it in me, so ehh, mebbe I just got used to them or something. Anyhow, I'm a grumpy cantankerous old woman that prefers people to call and tell me they're comming so I can make up excuses why they can't. >:D

On 7/20/2018 at 6:15 AM, Resdayn said:

I have friends :P 

If you have any pets try to get them registered as a therapy animal. Could be simple as an anti-depression animal (cat in my case) or more commonly a physical helper animal. With added benefit of being able to take them anywhere.

58 minutes ago, ToJKa said:

I used to too, but those people have gotten scary.

?

Don't mind it myself, i prefer to be left alone.

It's okay to talk to yourself, it's okay to respond back to yourself, but when the third party jumps in, that's when you need to worry.

14 hours ago, concietedleech07 said:

If you have any pets try to get them registered as a therapy animal. Could be simple as an anti-depression animal (cat in my case) or more commonly a physical helper animal. With added benefit of being able to take them anywhere.

I can't keep animals in my house, but have an unofficial one who sometime visit.

Like a few others I cherish my alone time. I have a wife, one kid still at home and tons of friends and family that stop by way too often. So I take a winter hunting trip and a summer fishing trip most every year, if I get something great if not I had 3 or 4 days of solitude so it's a win either way. 

• 2 weeks later...

I left home at 18, I lived alone since then, i've had girlfriends over the years, family, people i've talked to in chat rooms,  i've even had the perfect girl for me but sadly that went ass up.

But through out it all I like living alone, I don't like to rely on someone else unless it's absolutely necessary.

I guess it's a learned way of life, I mean my father couldn't handle living alone.

I have things to distract myself like gaming.. 

Don't get me wrong i'd love to have a girl around if she's cute, a bit quirky, intelligent, witty, a gamer and likes my "other" side as well

But if that never happens I can deal with the loneliness as Im happy with myself

I get extremely lonely from time to time. I deal with it by mostly shoving it aside and forgetting about it. I lie to myself by thinking that I don't need anyone ever. The truth is that I was the happiest in my life when I was in a relationship. Far and away from the trivial bs of life, I felt like "we" could overcome any obstacle- I could laugh at things that used to make me mad. Eventually, you find that the "we" only goes so far and it's just "you" again. But, since I have been alone most of my life, I'm used to it.

Archived