Welcome to LoversLab
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

IMPORTANT: Changes to Downloads

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
78 replies to this topic

Ark of Truth

Ark of Truth

Classification Type-0

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,933 posts

Or I can just put list of links to different downloads.

You can link external links to the download page, such as Mediafire and all but as far as I know you are not allowed to interlink. Meaning you cannot place a link of a LoversLab thread into the download page as a download link.

Or tell people to search my download`s in profile. Those who look, will find. :)

Don't see the point here, if anything it will just make people not look as they won't be asked to check your profile. It would be pointless as whenever you upload a new file into the system it is shown on the portal page.

It happens, that recently, my browser began to hang`s up when i try to edit large post. That`s why I`am thinking of splinting to separate downloads for each mod. And being polite, I asked: is it forbidden or not?

If your on about placing each armor as a separate download it is not forbidden that I know of. However it does created needless and unnecessary download pages when you can combine them all into one download page. When a download page is created it automatically creates a support thread for it. So if you upload 10 mods by Krista into the download section all as separate downloads then that will be 10 new download pages and 10 new support topics when you can just have them all in 1 download page. If it is all on 1 download page it is easier to manage and people will most likely download multiple files as they don't have to go searching for them in the file system.

Personally I would get a different browser or check your computer for faults in that case.

AdBot

AdBot
  • Advert

blackelf

blackelf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

If your on about placing each armor as a separate download it is not forbidden that I know of.

That is the simple answer i wanted.

So if you upload 10 mods by Krista

Ten? :)  we talk about 30-40 mods

Personally I would get a different browser or check your computer for faults in that case.

Personally I would check loverslab site engine and loverslab site host provider. As it happens on 4 (four) different PC in different location and different browsers.

Ark of Truth

Ark of Truth

Classification Type-0

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,933 posts

Ten? :)  we talk about 30-40 mods

Yeah, I would look at them and bunch them up into groups and place each group as its own download page. For example all the armors on one page, all the houses etc on another etc etc. I say this because most support topics for armors etc don't get used that much, it may be possible for Ashal to have all the downloads going into 1 support thread but it would most likely be to much hassle to do. I would just group as much as you can into the download pages. Otherwise you are going to have 40 download pages and 40 support threads which will most likely never be used to really warrant their existent.

Personally I would check loverslab site engine and loverslab site host provider. As it happens on 4 (four) different PC in different location and different browsers.

The host provider is working fine, I have been uploading stuff for the past two weeks and have not hanged once. If you think it is broken or bugged report it to Ashal by sending him a PM.

blackelf

blackelf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

If you think it is broken or bugged report it to Ashal by sending him a PM.

I reported download description size limit about a month ago, here in this same thread. Duplicated it to Ashal by PM. No reaction and no reply since then. And after old thread where attached to new download system, I have to rebuild all mod description, again. Download`s not broken, it`s fubar.

Maybe enough is enough. I`ve done talking. 

Ark of Truth

Ark of Truth

Classification Type-0

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,933 posts

Well then report it again, Ashal does have a job to do outside of LoversLab. He is either really busy or had forgotten about it.

jbezorg

jbezorg

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Pretty much.  

To make things easier for folks to find, you really should combine armors for the same body type into one download page.  You can still have separate attachments so folks can pick and choose from them.

You would not want folks to miss out on one of your creations due to them not being able to find it after all!   :P

Or I can just put list of links to different downloads. Or tell people to search my download`s in profile. Those who look, will find. :)

It happens, that recently, my browser began to hang`s up when i try to edit large post. That`s why I`am thinking of splinting to separate downloads for each mod. And being polite, I asked: is it forbidden or not?   

Reserve the first couple of posts in the support thread.

The first post then can be edited to point to your reserved posts and each of your reserved posts can cover specific topics.

jbezorg

jbezorg

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts
http://www.loverslab...egory/1-skyrim/

I suggest that a "Translations" category be added at this level since they span the other 4 categories.

Ark of Truth

Ark of Truth

Classification Type-0

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,933 posts

While we are on the subject of adding things. I suggest and strongly recommend that each game forum has its own "Guides" sub section and the old Tutorial and Guides be removed after the threads are relocated into their respected games. Only two of them seem to be active discussions lately.

Pros:

• Makes guides easy to find as you don't have to go searching for them in loads of threads pages.
  • You don't have 4 different types of guide (Fallout, Skyrim, Oblivion etc) all in the same subsection.

Cons:

• 88 threads need to be moved. I suppose some could be deleted as they are too old and better methods have been found.
  • Might take people some time getting used to it.

Ark of Truth

Ark of Truth

Classification Type-0

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,933 posts

oh and the banner thing in the downloads area is still tripping out.

gregathit

gregathit

Duck and Cover

• Moderators
  • 17,744 posts

I agree wholeheartedly with jbezorg in that adding a category for translations would be a good thing.  If we had such an easy to find category we might attract folks who would both upload and download translations.  There are fuck ton of massively talented people out there who don't know English (or don't know if very well).  Other than work for Ashal (sorry boss) it would have no other impact whatsoever.  The support threads would still end up in the normal place so what could it possibly hurt?

Mailamea Truth

Mailamea Truth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Can we have it so that when uploading mods to a download page we can queue more then 10 mods? Maybe change it to like 40 please.

It's kinda annoying, I was going to select all my mods I wanted to upload and then go do something while they were uploading only to be told they can only go up 10 at a time.

Poontank

Poontank

"DROKK!" said The Judge.

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

I agree on Ark's suggestion to make a 'Tutorials & Guides' sub-forum for each major game section. It has always baffled me why there is only one collective tutorials sub-forum for all games in the general section - members who are not that frequently browsing this part of the forum (like myself) might overlook the threads in there.

A proper location to store all instructive threads for specific games in one place. In these games' sections. It will minimize confusion  - no need to include [It'sForGameX] anymore in the thread title. And it might bring tutorials more to the attention of the members browsing the section(s) dedicated to their game(s) of choice. Could even encourage members to write up guides of their own: I am considering making a few tutorials on small-time stuff like character creation/facegen and basic CS use.

Maybe make new sub-forums in the games' 'Technical Support' areas?

ritualclarity

ritualclarity

Domo arigato misuta Robotto

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,265 posts

I agree on Ark's suggestion to make a 'Tutorials & Guides' sub-forum for each major game section. It has always baffled me why there is only one collective tutorials sub-forum for all games in the general section - members who are not that frequently browsing this part of the forum (like myself) might overlook the threads in there.

I did overlook that for quite some time... :(

I thought about that with my big alien brain...

If that doesn't work perhaps a clearing house of sorts in the same location where someone can link to all the relevant tutorials in an orderly manner with some basic description and the actual tutorials in the appropriate sub-forums. (much like it is now just more) The sub forum can give greater detail and support, and ( and a big and) these tutorials can link back to the main one for further info say somewhere along the top or bottom (lets try to be consistent) therefore the individuals will be directly linked to either or. If they do find it in the general forum good they get the links to where they need to go. If they find it in the main sub-forum for a specific game or subject they can be linked back to the main tutorial. This gives the option that they can find other, or different info.

So after a short while those actually seeking info or learning tools can bounce back and forth gathering info as they need or want in a easy manner.

blackraven14

blackraven14

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Can you please fix the external link functionality to be legitimately user friendly? Currently, it requires a wait period like downloads hosted here, which seems a bit weird considering it's just a redirect. Also, many (all?) don't show up with real names for the files, just a random gibberish string, that makes it tough to keep track of what's what in download threads with multiple external links. Compounding this issue is that the size is 0, so you can't really use that to keep track of which to use either.

I say this as a user who was very confused when I needed to download a 3 part file hosted on Mega. I didn't even think the file existed because external links are set up in such a nondescriptive way.

Contessa

Contessa

Lovely

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

I'm not sure if this has been asked but would it be possible add dates or something of the like when a file has been updated? I love the Alert system but when I go to the download page, sometimes I have no idea exactly what file was updated and when.

Something like RandomMod Updated 9-12-14

I really have no idea how this forum works or even if it's possible but it would be a nice thing as a lot of mods don't use version numbers.

Mister X

Mister X

Out Of The Shadows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

I'm not sure if this has been asked but would it be possible add dates or something of the like when a file has been updated? I love the Alert system but when I go to the download page, sometimes I have no idea exactly what file was updated and when.

I really have no idea how this forum works or even if it's possible but it would be a nice thing as a lot of mods don't use version numbers.

Or maybe just add dates to the files itself, that show the last update of this specific file.

Especially for Mods like Devious Aradia, where you have ten files or more, this would show which specific file was updated.

As example, SL Framework, it already shows the MB of the files, why not show the dates the files were uploaded or changed?

ritualclarity

ritualclarity

Domo arigato misuta Robotto

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,265 posts

Currently it is up to the creators to add dates or versions or what they want to the files. There is no automatic assignment of numbers or dates to the system. If you have questions post in that thread. If enough people have confusions andpost. I am sure the author will make the necessary clarifications. ;)

dje34

dje34

AwAkE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

There is the 'View New Content' functionality between 'Community Rules' and the 'Open Quick Navigation' button... You should check it and try some filters combination to see what you've missed since last visit. ;)

AwfulArchdemon

AwfulArchdemon

Ordained Mod Organizer Evangelist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

I wouldn't mind a true download section for mods for games that aren't featured here. SimLab just become 'Hot', and I have just uploaded 9 mods. Amra72 just released some mods too (awesome and revered by all), and I will be putting my/his mods on my OP.

I am certain to run out of room on the OP, like I did with Mod Organizer and all it's versions. Therefore, I would love a download section for non-featured games, like Sims 3 and 4. I'll be making mods non-stop for them. :angel:

Download section for non-featured games. It would be better than the alternative, which, for me, would be to upload them all to 4shared. Nothing wrong with that, but I like being able to release mods here on LL. Feels more comfortable than following a link.

Maybe - Non-Featured Games\*Game name*\Downloads, or a Downloads section in Adult Gaming.

What if I make some Naruto Shippuden Ninja Storm mods (likely)? I know how to for the one that's out now, and there's a new great-looking sequel coming out, but I don't want to just make a thread for it. Many wouldn't find it, because many only patrol the downloads section (lurkers, mostly). If mods for other games can't be found there because of no dl section for other games, those people may miss out. I've had people say "Wow! I didn't even know SimLab existed!", which sucks, because there are a million sites for S3 and 4.

Anyway, I've procrastinated long enough, and there is my request finally. :P

Vaelorian

Vaelorian

Mega Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

I am certain to run out of room on the OP.

Suggestion: reserve the first few posts. That should give you enough space until such a feature will be introduced (if it will be introduced).