Buy Special Edition or Non?

poop123

Hello, I've bounced around the various FAQ's, tried some searches, and used that Ctrl-F. I'm still not certain how to proceed. I've tried Skyrim 2-3 times before after really loving Oblivion and put in about 10-20 hours each time. I recently bought a PC so i actually have something to run it on now and am faced with the dilemma. I really like adding all various story mods as well as Sexlab stuff. Well skyrims special edition is on sale and I thought about picking it up but was concerned to see it's troubles with mods.

So for someone who has barely scratched the surface of skyrim but plan to incorporate many mods and the sexlab stuff would you recommend I skip the special edition and get the regular one?

Thanks for your responses, I fear this is a FAQ but couldn't find it.

Honestly, I personally would recommend SSE. We are reaching a tipping point for a lot of people moving over to SE. The experience in SE is worlds better due to the stability. SKSE64 is now available and more and more mods are either being ported from LE (oldrim) or only now being developed for SE. SexLab is also available for SE.

There are many people on this forum, who don't own or have not committed much time to SE, yet they will tell you the opposite. That everything post LE is a form of heresy.

Oldrim is great for mods, though it does require some tweaking and several fixes to get it to be stable. Thankfully there are countless guides dedicated to helping folks with those very things.

Newrim is stable but lacks the variety of mods that Oldrim has and is slow in getting conversions of Oldrim mods--if they ever are converted--because of the Creation Club. Every time there's some need for new functions for something on the CC, even if you never use it, Bethesda forcibly updates Newrim and that breaks things like the Script Extender. Even after the SE is updated, mods that use it need to be updated to use the new version of it or they will crash your game. How long that takes depends entirely on the mod author: it could be mere hours after SE is updated or it may take a lot longer.

So it depends on what you want. If you're not using mods that require the Script Extender (check the mod requirements) then Newrim is the way to go. If you do want mods that use the SE, it would be better to get Oldrim and check out the S.T.E.P. Wiki for instructions on what needs to be done.

I would be playing Newrim if not for those very issues I mentioned since, like myuhinny, I got a free copy for having all the Oldrim DLC before Newrim launched. As is, I'm sticking with Oldrim. Base stability without work < mod variety + some work to make the game stable.

I recently saw the tipping point where enough mods from here had made their way to Skyrim SE that it became interesting enough for me to give it a shot. I do love how much better SSE looks as a base game, meaning I don't feel like I need to spruce it up so much, and it definitely is more stable. 

However, there still is a ton of content missing that I miss from old Skyrim, and even though I've spent the last couple days playing SSE, I'm already planning on going back to 'Oldrim' next time I play. I don't know if SSE will ever quite get all the stuff that makes Oldrim such an endless game for me, because so many mod authors have gone away and SSE hasn't piqued their interest to come back. But maybe it will happen!

There's very little Oldrim content that has not been converted to SE or is not easily convertable yourself and the base engine is undeniably superior even though most of the same bugs remain.  My current SE load order has about 600 mods merged into about 180 plugins and my mods total about 150GB.  I've played this mod list for over 1000 hours with zero crashes and with performance superior to what I got on Oldrim with a smaller modlist.  The only things I miss really are Subsurface Scattering and HDT.  HDT is actually available on SE as well but requires more work than I'm willing to devote to it but I'm sure it'll be here in a more user friendly installation at some point.  Boris has also confirmed that he's trying to get Subsurface Scattering to work in ENB for SE.  No idea how successful he'll be but he's been on a roll lately releasing several feature additions for SE so I think he's devoting more time and effort to SE than he used to. 

So while there are still things that are exclusive to Oldrim, I think it's inevitable that there will come a point where SE is superior in every way including having all of the best mods.  Maybe there are a few deal breakers in your mod list but I would bet that list is shrinking.  I'm sure there are people who have managed to create a stable Oldrim game that is more heavily modded than my SE game.  The difference is you pretty much have to be an expert to do that in Oldrim.  In SE it's easy.

My Oldrim game had maybe 50GB of mods and crashed constantly despite my poring through the forums on a regular basis trying to find tweaks to increase stability.  My SE game has more than triple that amount of content, never crashes, and took minimal effort to squash bugs and conflicts.  I've also never corrupted any of my SE saves during that time.  Now admittedly I'm more experienced at modding than I was when I played Oldrim but I can say pretty confidently that there is zero chance I could reproduce my SE modlist in Oldrim without it blowing up in my face immediately.

Nobody has mentioned this, but although Oldrim has much more variety when it comes to mods, Newrim also has its fair share of unique cool mods not available on Oldrim (not talking about the CC's crap).

Honestly, the only mods I really miss are ImmersiveWeapons, Complete Crafting Overhaul Remade and the Precache Killer. Other than that I'm set for SE.

BTW, about the auto-updates for the CC. Just set Skyrim SE to be updated only when you open it and use MO2 (MO2 open's SKSE64 and not the main EXE, so it doesn't update the game).

Get both, Betheseba is going full douch bag and does these game breaking forced updates because programmers can't understand normal human emotions (see Facebook). So with Old Rim you will still have functioning game every time the Dev screw SE to hell and gone for five bucks microtransactions.

Archived