Shoes. The title struggle is real.

Frankfranky

So, staying with Mr Blahnik another time, next on the list is the Osaka.

Problem is how is it supposed to be worn? If you look the pic, the top left is straight from the Blahnik website, and suggests that it should wrap to the sides, cross at the back and tie at the front, kindal like top right.  But, in the only pic I could find that actually had a foot in it, bottom left, they have crossed it at the front and tied it at the back..... soo..... did the model get it wrong? She has kinda ugly feet..... not saying that makes her stupid, but ... ... hm. Or, is that the only way, realistically that the shoe can be worn, that will enable you to get from the bedroom to the front door? Is the top pic just the way the guy taking the shots figured they were supposed to go?

I have to pick one or the other. Calls from the floor?

osaka5.jpg

Looks like the strap is too close to the front to wrap to the sides and cross at the back, and would probably chafe the skin under the ankle. The stars also provide visual consistency at the front. I asked a female friend and she agrees. Our vote is that the model is wearing them correctly.

PS. My friend also says that an eyelet on a woman's shoe is supposed to be at the front.

hmm.

Well, I think that the 2nd pic reflects practical use, but the first pic is more purdy. I think if the skyrim women will put up with me amputating their toes to fit them into my shoes, they can put up with chafed ankles. So I think pic one wins. I will keep the other straps. mb I will finish them too and offer alternatives.... mb.

Why not both:classic_tongue:...Only how many extra hours/days we are talking about here?

Top looks a tad more of a generic heel strap, bottom looks more...interesting?

Here is someone wearing as if it is like the top. Looks a bit...lifeless?

Here is a pic with the shoe arrange more like on the bottom.

Personally I find that having the lace crossing on the front of the foot is prettier from an aesthetic point of view, the visual seems more balanced, more aerial as well, and the outfit is better, otherwise from the back the tensions seem too important on the ankle and give the impression of chasing the foot forward.

I think there's enough length in the straps that anyone wearing them can decide whether to tie them front or back.

So go with whichever you like, I suppose!

That said, I think the stars are supposed to remain in the front for consistency, so I suspect the model's wearing them "correctly". It's also worth noting that the straps narrow at EXACTLY the point where they cross over if done the second way, whereas tied up the back as in the first image, they just randomly and abruptly become narrower before crossing over the heel, which seems to make no sense.

actually, if you look very closely, the straps change from a satin strip, to a lace, mb a cord? right at that point you mention smedley. My only problem with the both option is when it gets to Substance Painter. The little bits of wear and dirt in the joins between the straps and the sole may sound like an unnecessary concern, but when you see 'with' and 'with out' you really notice that the 'with out' looks... fake. So that would mean 2 texture sets, I think .... mb ... hm. I bet there is a way.

hm.

hm.

I will work on the sole and heel. get that to look right, and that planet sized polygon on the ball of the foot ... that will have to go .. or something. I will go visit with Algorithmic and see what they have to say about multiple texture sets in the same project.

3 hours ago, Fifoo said:

Personally I find that having the lace crossing on the front of the foot is prettier from an aesthetic point of view, the visual seems more balanced, more aerial as well, and the outfit is better, otherwise from the back the tensions seem too important on the ankle and give the impression of chasing the foot forward.

I feel like I don't want to agree with you. I think I agree with you.

3 hours ago, Frankfranky said:

actually, if you look very closely, the straps change from a satin strip, to a lace, mb a cord? right at that point you mention smedley. My only problem with the both option is when it gets to Substance Painter. The little bits of wear and dirt in the joins between the straps and the sole may sound like an unnecessary concern, but when you see 'with' and 'with out' you really notice that the 'with out' looks... fake. So that would mean 2 texture sets, I think .... mb ... hm. I bet there is a way.

hm.

hm.

I will work on the sole and heel. get that to look right, and that planet sized polygon on the ball of the foot ... that will have to go .. or something. I will go visit with Algorithmic and see what they have to say about multiple texture sets in the same project.

To be fair, I don't think the slight difference will be noticeable to almost anyone, so perhaps you can get away with "Without". Remember, you're looking really closely at these things for some hours, so tiny details will be a LOT more apparent to you than someone else - you might get away with a shortcut like just darkening the point of the strap/cord join.

I've got mods that stick six different names on shoes I can't remember just now. Zapatos or something, I don't know.

High heeled "Shoes" that weigh three pounds should be banned....

and so I'm asking whoever to make the shoes radiate charismatic energy, weigh next to nothing and be able to stab rats (because wth else are heels good for in a medieval town with dirt roads and cobbled floors)

And no one dances waltzes or wears cotillion-style dresses, but if they did, who would see the laces anyway?

There are zillions of shoes, not enough hats.

Still and always this dilemma between the creator who seeks perfection, and the spectator who will not see all the sublime details of the work, unless having a very wise and expert eye in the matter ... a very cruel world, sometimes. :classic_biggrin:

Archived