Stephen Hawking has died

MadMansGun

That is not the way that I was hoping that he would leave this world. In outer space, no one would have need of wheelchairs. That would have been reason enough for Space-X to kick things into overdrive, I would say.

A great mind is lost from this world but not the legacy that he left behind.

It is rare that human being as incandescent as Hawking comes around.

The average lifespan on some diagnosed with ALS is 3 years after manifestation.

Hawking lived for 53 more years after his diagnosis. 

It's not hyperbole to say this is a literal changing of the guard, because Hawking didn't advance the human condition, he advanced the picture of literally everything, so far beyond the question of "why people" to plumb the depths of "why at all", one of the rare visionaries that saw both what is and what could be as actual existing potentialities, and managed to bring that promethean fire back down to the rest of us, not only in factual/provable  form, but in a form that will directly inform the human race as a user's manual should we live long enough to get off this rock and go out there

There are terribly few people existing in the world that actually deserve the title "great", and this man was one of them.

He was also an intolerant jerk. While I'm definitely sad to see anyone die, not all that bent out of shape about this. Granted he was smart and added a lot to our understanding of the universe. There's no denying that, but the scientific community has been pretty toxic as of late. Anyone that disagrees with the mainstream beliefs or question the Bill Nye or Stephen Hawkings agenda is crucified. Even if they are ultimately right. Hawkings was BRUTAL against Laura Mersini-Houghton who claims that black holes don't exist. She has some pretty good mathematical evidence to back it up too apparently. Later he was ultimately forced to change his theory on how black holes function because his theory was proven wrong.

RIP Hawkings. I respect him accomplishments, but I mostly disliked him as a person.

Fun fact: the theory of the big bang was proposed In 1927 by a Belgian Catholic priest.

2 hours ago, Lisa Tepes said:

He was also an intolerant jerk. While I'm definitely sad to see anyone die, not all that bent out of shape about this. Granted he was smart and added a lot to our understanding of the universe. There's no denying that, but the scientific community has been pretty toxic as of late. Anyone that disagrees with the mainstream beliefs or question the Bill Nye or Stephen Hawkings agenda is crucified. Even if they are ultimately right. Hawkings was BRUTAL against Laura Mersini-Houghton who claims that black holes don't exist. She has some pretty good mathematical evidence to back it up too apparently. Later he was ultimately forced to change his theory on how black holes function because his theory was proven wrong.

RIP Hawkings. I respect him accomplishments, but I mostly disliked him as a person.

Fun fact: the theory of the big bang was proposed In 1927 by a Belgian Catholic priest.

Couldn’t have said it better myself. Well-said, thank you! 

18 hours ago, Lisa Tepes said:

Hawkings was BRUTAL against Laura Mersini-Houghton who claims that black holes don't exist. She has some pretty good mathematical evidence to back it up too apparently.

I'd like to see those because for all I know, there isn't a single thesis out there that credibly denies the existence of black holes with hard facts. You can line up as many mathematical equations as you want if the fundamental theories behind it are wrong. Defending Mersini based on hearsay seem pretty strange to me.

As for him being brutal against her, I could only find a handful of articles, none of them indicating that they were on nasty terms. So I'm in doubt over that one too.

4 hours ago, firehawksh said:

I'd like to see those because for all I know, there isn't a single thesis out there that credibly denies the existence of black holes with hard facts. You can line up as many mathematical equations as you want if the fundamental theories behind it are wrong. Defending Mersini based on hearsay seem pretty strange to me.

As for him being brutal against her, I could only find a handful of articles, none of them indicating that they were on nasty terms. So I'm in doubt over that one too.

and there is the fact that we know where black holes can be found:

https://www.spacetelescope.org/images/opo9943a/

https://www.spacetelescope.org/images/opo9814l/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_observation_of_gravitational_waves

5 hours ago, firehawksh said:

Not trying to sound rude. I like talking science with people. Science is fascinating after all. Anyway, cosmology is essentially only proven with math.

"...Professor Stephen Hawking claimed that black holes (as we currently understand them) do not exist. He claims that the traditional notion of a black hole's "event horizon" from which nothing can escape, even light, is incompatible with quantum physics. If so, physicists will have to redefine black holes entirely. " (http://www.iflscience.com/physics/according-stephen-hawking-black-holes-we-currently-understand-them-do-not-exist/)

His paper came after this:

"By merging two seemingly conflicting theories, Laura Mersini-Houghton, a physics professor at UNC-Chapel Hill in the College of Arts and Sciences, has proven, mathematically, that black holes can never come into being in the first place." (https://uncnews.unc.edu/2014/09/23/carolinas-laura-mersini-houghton-shows-black-holes-exist/) Wed, 22 Jan 2014 19:37:14 GMT 

1 hour ago, MadMansGun said:

Still doesn't prove they exist. I'm not trying to be a naysayer, but we still haven't proven that they exist. We have observed phenomenon that might be related and show support for the theory, but we have never proven their existence yet. That's what the gravitation wave tests are trying to prove. Since gravity is instantaneous, and light travels, that are trying to prove that those waves originated from a star that could have collapsed. for all we know it could have come from something completely unrelated. Do i belive black holes exist? They might, they might not. We don't know. It would certainly explain several phenomenon in our universe, but we don't have proof yet that those are linked to a black hole.

ps. i have a cool science teacher! :smile:

It took science decades to prove a particular particle they suspected to exist, in fact, does. They call this mysterious object the Higgs-boson. Just because they couldn't find decisive proof to the existence of black holes yet doesn't mean there isn't one. Circumstancial evidence and observational proof does exist after all.

On 3/15/2018 at 11:02 AM, Lisa Tepes said:

Except her math was, in fact proven incorrect until later revisions. There are two forms of states/energy that can and do escape black holes, one of which allows us to look for them in the first place.

I think the rather obvious subtext here is "he was mean to a woman".

Welp, he was mean to several women, including two of his wives, one of whom used to physically abuse him, which is why he openly cheated on her.

He was also mean as hell to people attempting to defund and privatize the NHS for rather public reasons, up to and including going after them legally.

Being a great person has nothing to do with being nice. List virtually any person whom changed the paradigms of what was to what is, and you'll find someone whom quite frankly lacks fundamental niceness and in some cases any civility at all. For every person who was regarded as "nice" and "giving" you'll find either they weren't particularly (Ghandi was racist and sexist, Mother Theresa openly espoused abject poverty as the only way to reach god at all, and despised public education past the eighth grade, Martin Luther King had several mistresses) or in the rare case like Einstein or Bob Ross or media faces like  Gayle King yeah they were "nice people" generally speaking in the broadest sense. The post-millennial zeitgeist that everyone needs to be a cartoon greeting card IRL is naive at best. It is not now, and won't be later how the world actually works.

science teacher

Unless you meant professor, might wanna peruse the age gate which exists for the website's protection, not yours.

Archived