SE Compatibility Tracking (Apr 23)

Would love some expert advice on this: I'm looking to convert some older SLAL packs to SSE, maybe upload them too if I can get permissions.

From what I can tell, it's just a matter of:

1. Converting the .HKX files to SSE format
2. Re-creating the FNIS behaviour file
3. Leave the json alone as it doesn't need to be touched

Obviously easier said than done but I was wondering if this is how it goes - figured I'd ask before possibly breaking something.

1 hour ago, Zyxxas said:

Would love some expert advice on this: I'm looking to convert some older SLAL packs to SSE, maybe upload them too if I can get permissions.

Obviously easier said than done but I was wondering if this is how it goes - figured I'd ask before possibly breaking something.

You only have to take care about anim objects, there is a tool that takes care about hkx part on nexus.... 

19 hours ago, Zyxxas said:

CAO does one click conversion for Animation files, but you'll need Creation Kit to convert the ESP, if necessary, Personally, I do convert Animation ESPs to Form44, then ESL flag them.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/23316

On 2/3/2020 at 12:07 PM, DrHuge said:

nexus get NMM back from Github i dont think they know what there doing.

Not gonna happen - NMM is discontinued.  Vortex is it's replacement.  Have to say, I'm enjoying Vortex. Like MO, there's some learning to do, but it's working great for me so far.

excellent guide!!

SexLab Adventures 0.73SE instability at Whiterun:  I got a consistent ctd when doing BleakFalls (MQ103) / Dragon Rising (MQ104) and returning to Whiterun. I would guess it's something in the adventures crime tax checks /  Alik'r / Irileth speaking to guards for MQ104 stressing papyrus. Setstage to bypass quest still had a ctd on whiterun entry. New live another life riverun inn start without adventures 0.73 and with most of the converted green listed mods got through MQ104 with no issues, running stable.

12 minutes ago, JimUpdating said:

excellent guide!!

SexLab Adventures 0.73SE instability at Whiterun:  I got a consistent ctd when doing BleakFalls (MQ103) / Dragon Rising (MQ104) and returning to Whiterun. I would guess it's something in the adventures crime tax checks /  Alik'r / Irileth speaking to guards for MQ104 stressing papyrus. Setstage to bypass quest still had a ctd on whiterun entry. New live another life riverun inn start without adventures 0.73 and with most of the converted green listed mods got through MQ104 with no issues, running stable.

The mod is in a Beta state, there are bound to be problems, try posting on the SL Adventures SE Support Thread instead of commenting here. The mod's author monitors the thread, and can let us know if it's a known issue, or only a problem with the conversion. Also, the current version is v0.73.3, give that a try. Let's all be helpful to each other if we can be.

38 minutes ago, ssskn said:

I just wanna report: MCG works. Unpack BSA, delete BSL, and DO NOT convert ESP to form 44 -no no no. Also make sure to load it before whatever follower framework you are using.

That is exactly what everyone should do.

Never, under any circumstances, open an ESP and save it in format 44. NEVER.

All it does is break the ESP and generate strange problems such as CTD, broken Quest, trigger failures, scripts that don't work ...

If the mod works in LE it has to work in SE. The format 43 is 100% supported by SE.

There is, basically, no reason to convert ESP's to format 44.

If the mod causes CTD it is due to problems in the meshes, textures, animations...

Run CAO or NifOptimizer and 90% of the CTDs disappear.
Some special meshes in some NPC's give a lot of problems because the composition of the face is very complex and, in those cases, it may be necessary to convert the ESP to generate the FaceGen. But nothing more.

Forget completely to convert ESP's to format 44 in a compulsive and obese way.

2 hours ago, GenioMaestro said:

That is exactly what everyone should do.

All it does is break the ESP and generate strange problems such as CTD, broken Quest, trigger failures, scripts that don't work ...

If the mod works in LE it has to work in SE. The format 43 is 100% supported by SE.

There is, basically, no reason to convert ESP's to format 44.

If the mod causes CTD it is due to problems in the meshes, textures, animations...

Run CAO or NifOptimizer and 90% of the CTDs disappear.
Some special meshes in some NPC's give a lot of problems because the composition of the face is very complex and, in those cases, it may be necessary to convert the ESP to generate the FaceGen. But nothing more.

Forget completely to convert ESP's to format 44 in a compulsive and obese way.

SE conversions that aren't from the original author/maintainer should just be the converted assets:  animations, textures, meshes and occasional script changes (rare, usually due to renamed or LE/SE-specific plugin name changes like those with the Unoffical patch and SKyUI), and DLLs.  Let the user install the original mod and then overwrite with the converted SE assets like it is a patch...which it essentially is.

6 hours ago, Bottlesoldier said:

Apropos 2 with the SSE script and the dll are working fine on my end. Sexlab Disparity also sees it and tracks the wear and tear accordingly. Tho, while Apropos 2 claims that slavetats IS installed and running fine, no textures are ever applied and the only texture I have unchecked is the daedra.

I get running mascara and tears (and welts/bruises/cuts/gashes if severe abuse) after various shenanigans, so maybe something in your load order?

19 hours ago, GenioMaestro said:

Unless it is a simple plugin (simple or no quests/scenes, simple or no scripts, things like new armors/outfits/weapons, simple things), or unless you know what you are doing.
I did not encounter any mod that required resaving, but that doesn't mean there cannot be any.
In general, for complicated plugins, try without resaving first - if it works, fine. But if you encounter problems you cannot tie to bugs in the mod, then people should consider resaving.

Besides that, there is at least one potential benefit of resaving, and that is finding and fixing bugs.
Because resaving foces you to double check everything, often requiring you to gather all required scripts, during which process you often find bugs or deprecated code that should be thrown out, etc.
But that is beyond simple confersion.

22 minutes ago, Roggvir said:

Unless it is a simple plugin (simple or no quests/scenes, simple or no scripts, things like new armors/outfits/weapons, simple things), or unless you know what you are doing.
I did not encounter any mod that required resaving, but that doesn't mean there cannot be any.
In general, for complicated plugins, try without resaving first - if it works, fine. But if you encounter problems you cannot tie to bugs in the mod, then people should consider resaving.

Besides that, there is at least one potential benefit of resaving, and that is finding and fixing bugs.
Because resaving foces you to double check everything, often requiring you to gather all required scripts, during which process you often find bugs or deprecated code that should be thrown out, etc.
But that is beyond simple confersion.

Honestly, that goes both ways. I'll convert the ESP/ESM, etc, then test, if there are bugs that can't be explained revert to the Form 43 plugin. Then retest and see which works better. The same goes for SEQ files, and some mods that don't need/have one in oldrim, need one in SE. And for the record, I've seen people in this thread claim that the Main game files are still in Form 43 to bolster their opinion that Form 44 isn't necessary. I assume these people don't own Special Edition, because ALL of the main ESM file that the SE game comes  with are in Form 44. Form 44 only breaks SOME mods, but most are perfectly fine when converted. The biggest issue with LL mods is that there are changes made to the base mods SKSE64, Sexlab, D.D. etc that aren't in the oldrim versions, that if you're not a coder, or don't know Papyrus Scripting are impossible to account for, so things will break there as well, and only new scripts can make it work.  100% for SKSE plugins (the .dll files), if a mod has one, there's no point in converting unless you you have the source code and ability to recompile a .dll for SKSE64. Extracting BSA files is 100% necessary, but now with CAO, you can extract them, convert textures, meshes, and animations, and then repack the BSA file. New tools are making conversions easier than ever. I don't do it that way, because extracting facegen files for added NPCs is necessary a lot of the time as well, so repacking the BSA is the last thing I do. Lastly, knowing when you can ESL flag an ESP is more an art than a science. If no form compaction is needed, go for it, if there is, don't forget to test, test ,test.

One last thing about armors and outfits, HDT may or may not work when converted as SE uses HDT SMP, and most oldrim HDT armor/outfits were made for HDT-PE, and not all mods specify what version of HDT they were made for. (though, if not mentioned it's safe to assume HDT-PE since that came first. I don't know squat about HTD, so maybe someone else could elaborate) CBPC on the other hand, should work just by optimizing the meshes and textures. 

Most of this also isn't necessary for simple conversions, but it's stuff I didn't know when I began. If there had been this information back when I started, things could have gone MUCH smoother.

Last note: ALWAYS, ALWAYS get perms from the original author before you create an upload page for your conversion.

I've rambled enough, I need to get back to my coffee, HAPPY MODDING GUYS!

On 2/3/2020 at 2:10 AM, DrHuge said:

Anyone got the CURE for mods Disappearing in Github Nexus mod Manager(Quote) Plug-in's are still active but ......lol no mods when i open nexus mod manager.

WTF Moment.png

WTF Moment 1.png

Both Vortex and MO2 have this issue occasionally as well. I have no idea what the cause is, but reinstalling the Mod Manager usually fixes it. I don't use the installer version, I use the loose files install, so I just backup the mods, profiles, and plugins folders, and overwrite with the fresh install, then all mods, and load orders and game saves stay intact.

14 minutes ago, nomkaz said:

One last thing about armors and outfits, HDT may or may not work when converted as SE uses HDT SMP

Armours/Outfits that use HDT PE with extra cloth bones in addition to needing the nif files optimized also require a new physics config xml file to be written for SMP and linked in a NiStringExtraData node. The HDT PE xml file should be removed as it will do nothing in SE.

Extensive guide for writing SMP config here

When ever I stumble over this.... 

I tried to track it down to the source and finally found the original statement: It says:  Resaving is a good practice.

There is no 'must' and no 'have-to' 

If you make a port, it is more important to check if there are any serious errors in the mod like bad scripts, nifs or textures. These will for sure cause more trouble and they will cause it much faster than the old header could ever do. 

For me MO or Vortex messages about the old header are totally misleading: As if a clothing replacer will work if you simply resave the esp and skip the conversion of the nifs....

27 minutes ago, Pfiffy said:

When ever I stumble over this.... 

I tried to track it down to the source and finally found the original statement: It says:  Resaving is a good practice.

There is no 'must' and no 'have-to' 

If you make a port, it is more important to check if there are any serious errors in the mod like bad scripts, nifs or textures. These will for sure cause more trouble and they will cause it much faster than the old header could ever do. 

For me MO or Vortex messages about the old header are totally misleading: As if a clothing replacer will work if you simply resave the esp and skip the conversion of the nifs....

I've disabled it, it's only there to let you know. I don't think it keeps the game from loading, because when I first updated MO2, and that feature was there, I just ignored it and the game loaded. Not all of MO2 warnings mean that the game won't load.

51 minutes ago, Yinkle said:

Armours/Outfits that use HDT PE with extra cloth bones in addition to needing the nif files optimized also require a new physics config xml file to be written for SMP and linked in a NiStringExtraData node. The HDT PE xml file should be removed as it will do nothing in SE.

Extensive guide for writing SMP config here

I knew HDT-PE needed changed, I just couldn't remember WHAT needed changed pre-coffee lol  I've looked over the PE-SMP conversion topic posted at the top if the conversion thread list, but that's far beyond my ability with my dyslexia.