Ask A Lemming

Ernest Lemmingway

1 hour ago, TheWhite said:

Oh I've just read and heard a ton that autstic people have "special interests", stuff they're like obsessed with or something. :) I believe that's one very prominent characteristics.

Oh, the obsessions. For me, it would be power exchange, pre-Fourth Edition Shadowrun, new World of Darkness prior to The God-Machine Chronicles, and the original Bubblegum Crisis series and its spin-offs. I've tempered a lot of my other obsessions over the years due to a combination of good drugs, flagging interest, and some therapy that works. I wish I could say I was an authority on any of them but there's so much about each I still need to learn. The two RPGs because there are still books and whatnot I don't have (either they're PDF only, I'm too broke to buy print-on-demand copies of, or they're so rare now they're only being sold for a fortune). BGC I'm half-certain there's still manga I haven't read yet.

1 hour ago, Grey Cloud said:

How old is sixth grade and have you read Homer since? (For all the other Americans out there, I mean the ancient Greek poet, not the cartoon guy ?).

Are you any relation to the author of the James Bond novels, Ianf Lemming?

Sixth grade is ages 11-12 and I've re-read The Iliad and the Odyssey since, but I've since branched out into other philosophers and authors both ancient and (relatively) modern. Particularly Shelly (Mary and Percy Byshe), Ovid, Virgil, Suetonius, and some Socrates. I think it helps to be drunk on wine when reading some of the stuff from the Greek and Roman authors. Especially Plato's works.

No, no relation I'm aware of. If I do, it's pretty distant since my ancestors immigrated to Canada and the Colonies centuries ago and haven't had any real contact with the Lemmings of Britain since.

11 hours ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

I think it helps to be drunk on wine when reading some of the stuff from the Greek and Roman authors. Especially Plato's works.

Thanks. I prefer pot myself. I don't bother with the Romans and tend to go with Greeks, Chinese and Indians for the most part. If you ever want to discuss ancient metaphysics, yoga and/or alchemy you know where I am.

12 hours ago, TheWhite said:

Same. I'm too scared to ask my doc and therapist about it though

Don't measure yourself agianst someone else's standards - choose your own. The medicos will find something wrong with you because there is money in it for them.

Three more reasons I hate rabbits.

The Bunnicula novels, which I read as a kid and need to catch up on, center around the efforts of Chester the cat and Harold the dog who's "a little bit wolfhound," dealing with a vampire bunny!

The old Cartoon Network show, Evil Con Carne, has the main character headquartered on an island shaped like a bunny!

The popular new ice cream brand I get brain freeze whenever I eat it is called Blue Bunny!

Yeah, I'm a leporiphobic lemming. I'm also afraid of walnuts and guys named Fred. Why that is I don't know. The voices in my head refuse to give me an answer.

• 4 weeks later...

Fred (eep!) from Darwin, Australia, writes in, "Dear Ask A Lemming,

"Have you ever considered coming Down Under for a visit?"

In a word...Fred...no. Why? Four words: world's most venomous critters. The inland taipan, the Sydney funnel web spider, and about a thousand other things beyond the Black Stump. Okay, I'll admit the spider isn't as much of a threat to a lemming as it is to humans since it's venom is specific to large mammals. But spiders scare me.

And the Land of Oz has a serious problem with rampaging...rabbits. They're an invasive species! More reason to blow bunnies to bits with a 12-gauge!

Dear Mr. Lemmingway,

if you would want to (subtle) provoke and brawl with a Nord, hmm, let's say a really really true Nord.

Let's say you would offer him a drink for that purpose.

Would you invite him for a cow milk or should it better be a goat milk? ??

?

30 minutes ago, worik said:

Dear Mr. Lemmingway,

if you would want to (subtle) provoke and brawl with a Nord, hmm, let's say a really really true Nord.

Let's say you would offer him a drink for that purpose.

Would you invite him for a cow milk or should it better be a goat milk? ??

?

Probably ? because if you offer ? they may take it as an insinuation of something and draw their sword. Trust the lemming; he sees things others don't (and wishes he hadn't seen).

48 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

You could compromise and go for soya milk.

If you want the low down, you'd be hard pressed to get lower than a lemming.

You can always try almond milk.

Now, Lemming, is the moderation a curse or a benediction?

3 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

If you want the low down, you'd be hard pressed to get lower than a lemming.

Hey!

3 hours ago, CPU said:

Now, Lemming, is the moderation a curse or a benediction?

Given what my vet told me about "moderating" a few things, I'd say curse. What's the point of life without excess?

Or am I misunderstanding the question?

Spoiler
1 hour ago, Grey Cloud said:

You can have too much excess.

True but you should take your moderation in moderation if you want to be consistent. But then, if you want to be moderate in your consistency you need to be inconsistent some time. This could get to be very confusing! ?

On 7/9/2018 at 9:17 PM, Ernest Lemmingway said:

Probably ? because if you offer ? they may take it as an insinuation of something and draw their sword. Trust the lemming; he sees things others don't (and wishes he hadn't seen). 

Thank you very much for this good point of view. I hadn't considered this. I'd recommend this to be added to the next edition of Marcius Carvain's "An Explorer's Guide to Skyrim"

On 7/10/2018 at 12:39 AM, Grey Cloud said:

You could compromise and go for soya milk.

On 7/10/2018 at 1:28 AM, CPU said:

You can always try almond milk.

Back to my question about the milk to be an adequate prelude and an excuse to punch a random Nord viciously in the face:

a) I would welcome links for soya and almond milks. It appears to me they are not vanilla?

b) Mr. Lemming, how would you rate these mod-ditional milks (if available) in contrast to cow milk? Would they achieve the necessary subtle provoation in the heart of a random true Nord?

49 minutes ago, worik said:

a) I would welcome links for soya and almond milks. It appears to me they are not vanilla?

No. Vanilla is something else entirely.

Vanilla is a flavoring derived from orchids of the genus Vanilla, primarily from the Mexican species, flat-leaved vanilla. The word vanilla, derived from vainilla, the diminutive of the Spanish word vaina, is translated simply as "little pod". Wikipedia 

3 hours ago, worik said:

b) Mr. Lemming, how would you rate these mod-ditional milks (if available) in contrast to cow milk? Would they achieve the necessary subtle provoation in the heart of a random true Nord?

I'm not a fan of either soy or almond milk, myself. My parents love the latter, but I have a hypersensitive sense of smell and taste and can tell the difference between true dairy and cheap copies.

To the Nords, anything non-alcoholic would probably be provocative. A sign that they can't hold their drink and/or that they themselves aren't "true Nords" because apparently they only drink booze. When was the last time we ever saw them drinking anything besides ale, mead, or wine? Most of them apparently don't like water, even for bathing.

On 7/11/2018 at 9:22 PM, Ernest Lemmingway said:

To the Nords, anything non-alcoholic would probably be provocative. A sign that they can't hold their drink and/or that they themselves aren't "true Nords" because apparently they only drink booze. When was the last time we ever saw them drinking anything besides ale, mead, or wine? Most of them apparently don't like water, even for bathing.

Are you saying they are actually bathing, this seems to be lore debate! ?

Spoiler

Joking

Archived