SexLab SE - Sex Animation Framework v1.66b - 01/18/2024

11 hours ago, janbui said:

A slight fix that as a byproduct makes them work pretty well with one another, the two scripts used in tandem with MfgFix really helps use the both of them together with a very small oddity when they move between moaning and the facial expression. Place the scripts into your script folder where SexLab is located and you have a good way of having both yet you of course will still get the weird hiccups that are warned, just not as noticeable.

THANKS! Gonna give it a try

After uninstalling all my mods I have come down to only sexlab and sexlab framework which i cant disable or my game CTD's while loading....however after all this i still cannot trade with Lydia...i ask to trade with her and she says her "sworn to carry her burdens" whatever dialog, and her inventory does not open. I can only assume after disabling and than uninstalling all mods, that his is an issue with Sexlab and the framework thus only because I could trade with her perfectly fine before adding these mods yesterday, several of them which i had also uninstalled. Please if you have any advice as to how to fix this please let me know I wish to have her clothed normally again with armors i can give her.

You may want to clean you save with Falrim´s Resaver, this will get rid of some crap in your save and may hslp.

But a lot more will still be baked into your save file, especially around the NPCs. So best you start a new game or go back to a save you created before you added the mods.

36 minutes ago, Husky1o1 said:

You may want to clean you save with Falrim´s Resaver, this will get rid of some crap in your save and may hslp.

But a lot more will still be baked into your save file, especially around the NPCs. So best you start a new game or go back to a save you created before you added the mods.

ok so i have the resaver, however idk what to do, i opened clean and idk where to go from there, any help would be appreciated

Screenshot_2.png

In general, removing mods during a game is never a good idea and chances are very high that the deactivation and removal of the mod will screw up the game.

All kinds of skripts, instances and other data is stored in the save and will seek to run (and fail) next time you load the save.

Resaver cleans up a lot of these and there is a chance that it´s good enough to keep playing. But it´s no guarantee.

Therefore, whenever you want to remove a mod during gameplay:

a) you remove the mod in your mod manager

b) then you load the save (which still thinks the mods is there - it will therefore complain on load, but you click [ok] ) and hope you can even load it.

c) once it´s loaded, you wait a bit until every other still running mod is initialized, then save it and exit the game. Now you have a save with an updaded info on which mods are really loaded. But there is still leftover crap in the save itsself.

d) then you load the save in Resaver and tell it to remove all this shit from mods which are not part of the save anymore.

When you load the save in resaver it will tell you with a popup if it found unattached instances and/or undefined elements. Maybe a handfull, maybe some hundreds.

If so, the two options you click are "Remove unattached instances" and "Remove undefined elements" so they get removed. Don´t click anything else. Then you save it under the same name, confirming to overwrite the original save. I have done this a felt million times and so far it has not currupted any save of mine. Not sure what happend in your case.

However, Resaver creates a backup in the same folder.  For instance the resaved, new version might be called

Save8_517F0EE4_1_456C666965_Tamriel_021628_20200608210818_89_1.ess

The original save is still there, renamed to serve as a backup, and will look something like this:

Save8_517F0EE4_1_456C666965_Tamriel_021628_20200608210818_89_1.2020.06.08.23.23.47.ess

So you can rename the backup to the original name and thereby restore you original save.

1 hour ago, chris3playp said:

i cleaned both instances and elements and it corrupted my save

I've found that some mods can't be removed without destroying the savegame.  I've had some limited success removing a mod, loading the dirty save with missing mods (if it loads), save the game again, then try to clean THAT savegame with Resaver.  But I also use dummy plugins to fill the gap(s) left by the removed mod(s).  This prevents the remaining mods from changing position and their FormID memory location.

Given how fragile the game seems to be, I doubt Skyrim is capable of finding that orphaned save data and re-associating it with a mod's new load position.  I might be wrong on that, and I've seen others claim it SHOULD happen that way, but my experience indicates otherwise.  I see those mods that moved, those that post startup/initialization messages, noticably reinitialize as if they were loading for the 1st time.

Wrye Bash can help you to manage this.  You can create dummy plugins, even missing masters of other mods, via right click options in the Mods tab.  Flag them ESL or ESM as needed to fill those gaps where you've removed things.  New dummy files are created as "new mod.esp", "new mod(2).esp", etc.  Adjust their type (ESM/ESL/both) if needed to make them match the type of plugin previously loaded in that spot.

Keep in mind that there are essentially 2 load orders in SE.  Regular ESP/ESM mods, and ESPFE/ESL mods.  They intermingle like shuffling 2 stacks of cards together when the game loads, but the game tracks their FormID position unique to their mod type.  Normal mods load starting at 05 or 06 (depending on if you have USSEP or not), and load up to FD.  All ESL flagged ESP's (ESPFEs) and .ESL's (.ESL will load with the ESMs) load in FE (FE00, FE01, etc.).  If you update a mod and the new version is an ESPFE, but the old one was original ESP, it will get a FormID inside the FE range when the previous ESP version was loading in FD or lower location.  The opposite is true as well.  Generally speaking, if a mod changes type, don't update it until you start a new game...or at least become a better savegame surgeon.

27 minutes ago, Husky1o1 said:

In general, removing mods during a game is never a good idea and chances are very high that the deactivation and removal of the mod will screw up the game.

All kinds of skripts, instances and other data is stored in the save and will seek to run (and fail) next time you load the save.

Resaver cleans up a lot of these and there is a chance that it´s good enough to keep playing. But it´s no guarantee.

Therefore, whenever you want to remove a mod during gameplay:

a) you remove the mod in your mod manager

b) then you load the save (which still thinks the mods is there - it will therefore complain on load, but you click [ok] ) and hope you can even load it.

c) once it´s loaded, you wait a bit until every other still running mod is initialized, then save it and exit the game. Now you have a save with an updaded info on which mods are really loaded. But there is still leftover crap in the save itsself.

d) then you load the save in Resaver and tell it to remove all this shit from mods which are not part of the save anymore.

When you load the save in resaver it will tell you with a popup if it found unattached instances and/or undefined elements. Maybe a handfull, maybe some hundreds.

If so, the two options you click are "Remove unattached instances" and "Remove undefined elements" so they get removed. Don´t click anything else. Then you save it under the same name, confirming to overwrite the original save. I have done this a felt million times and so far it has not currupted any save of mine. Not sure what happend in your case.

However, Resaver creates a backup in the same folder.  For instance the resaved, new version might be called

Save8_517F0EE4_1_456C666965_Tamriel_021628_20200608210818_89_1.ess

The original save is still there, renamed to serve as a backup, and will look something like this:

Save8_517F0EE4_1_456C666965_Tamriel_021628_20200608210818_89_1.2020.06.08.23.23.47.ess

So you can rename the backup to the original name and thereby restore you original save.

Never overwrite your saves.  Even though Resaver forces a backup, I suggest always using the "Save as" method and giving it a new name.  When you next load Skyrim, choose Load vs Continue, then Show All Saves.  You can find your renamed savegames there (should they lose their loose association to the character name).

9 minutes ago, 4nk8r said:

Never overwrite your saves.  Even though Resaver forces a backup, I suggest always using the "Save as" method and giving it a new name.  When you next load Skyrim, choose Load vs Continue, then Show All Saves.  You can find your renamed savegames there (should they lose their loose association to the character name).

Yes, that also works. Saves you troubles of renaming the backup in case something goes wrong.

But overall - best advice is still not to uninstall mods in the fist place mid-game, especially the complex script-heavy ones, unless you know what you´re dealing with. ?‍♂️

49 minutes ago, 4nk8r said:

I've had some limited success removing a mod, loading the dirty save with missing mods (if it loads), save the game again, then try to clean THAT savegame with Resaver.

That's basically the normal clean save process:

1. Go somewhere safe where you know the mod isn't doing anything (an interior, qasmoke, wherever)

2. If the mod has the capability, have it stop and/or uninstall itself

3. Save and quit

4. Uninstall

5. Clean the save

6. Start, wait a minute for the game to settle, save, play for a bit to test that stuff is still working, and quit

7. Check if the save needs anything else cleaned, and check Papyrus/relevant SKSE logs for anything abnormal

But I also use dummy plugins to fill the gap(s) left by the removed mod(s).  This prevents the remaining mods from changing position and their FormID memory location.

If your dummy plugins have the same name as the original then that will create problems. So I don't think you're doing that.

If your dummy plugins do not have the same name then guess what: it doesn't matter. Skyrim stores inside the save the plugin name and load order, and then refreshes that data every time. As far as load orders are concerned, you can totally remove plugins or rearrange plugins and Skyrim will handle it gracefully. (I moved around a couple plugins myself a few days ago.) There is no "memory location" to reserve so all you're doing is filling your save with useless plugin entries.

Given how fragile the game seems to be, I doubt Skyrim is capable of finding that orphaned save data and re-associating it with a mod's new load position.

Assuming that "new load position" is talking about removing a plugin, saving, and then adding it back, you're right that Skyrim cannot reassociate the data. Once you create a save without a mod loaded, most data is removed entirely but some data is orphaned. "Unattached" or "undefined", as ReSaver calls it. And once orphaned it's going to sit in your save unless you or something else cleans it out.

I might be wrong on that, and I've seen others claim it SHOULD happen that way, but my experience indicates otherwise.  I see those mods that moved, those that post startup/initialization messages, noticably reinitialize as if they were loading for the 1st time.

There are a few other reasons for those sorts of messages, such as mod upgrades or issues with SKSE cosaves or people cleaning their saves too aggressively.

Generally speaking, if a mod changes type, don't update it until you start a new game...or at least become a better savegame surgeon.

If a mod changes filename then Skyrim will think the old plugin file was removed and the new file added. It's an uninstall + install.

If a mod keeps the filename and changes ESL flag, I actually don't know. Given that Skyrim handles load order changes gracefully, it may also handle ESL changes because that's a lot like having a different load order. Or maybe it doesn't. Gender-neutral shrug emoji.

19 hours ago, Prolific said:

I was saying to you, Never change.

Never change the snark, humor, cleverness, or absurdity. It's was a back-handed compliment, but now you've gone and ruined it.

Aww, sorry... and thanks.

2 hours ago, tasairis said:

That's basically the normal clean save process:

1. Go somewhere safe where you know the mod isn't doing anything (an interior, qasmoke, wherever)

2. If the mod has the capability, have it stop and/or uninstall itself

3. Save and quit

4. Uninstall

5. Clean the save

6. Start, wait a minute for the game to settle, save, play for a bit to test that stuff is still working, and quit

7. Check if the save needs anything else cleaned, and check Papyrus/relevant SKSE logs for anything abnormal

If your dummy plugins have the same name as the original then that will create problems. So I don't think you're doing that.

If your dummy plugins do not have the same name then guess what: it doesn't matter. Skyrim stores inside the save the plugin name and load order, and then refreshes that data every time. As far as load orders are concerned, you can totally remove plugins or rearrange plugins and Skyrim will handle it gracefully. (I moved around a couple plugins myself a few days ago.) There is no "memory location" to reserve so all you're doing is filling your save with useless plugin entries.

Assuming that "new load position" is talking about removing a plugin, saving, and then adding it back, you're right that Skyrim cannot reassociate the data. Once you create a save without a mod loaded, most data is removed entirely but some data is orphaned. "Unattached" or "undefined", as ReSaver calls it. And once orphaned it's going to sit in your save unless you or something else cleans it out.

There are a few other reasons for those sorts of messages, such as mod upgrades or issues with SKSE cosaves or people cleaning their saves too aggressively.

If a mod changes filename then Skyrim will think the old plugin file was removed and the new file added. It's an uninstall + install.

If a mod keeps the filename and changes ESL flag, I actually don't know. Given that Skyrim handles load order changes gracefully, it may also handle ESL changes because that's a lot like having a different load order. Or maybe it doesn't. Gender-neutral shrug emoji.

The dummy plugins are simply to prevent mods below the removed mod from shifting upwards and changing their active FormID position in the load order.

I leave the dummies named "new mod(#).esp" unless I need to fake a master reference to clean up a patch in xEdit.  xEdit won't load a plugin with a missing master.  Any fake masters I create are deleted after I've cleaned up any dependent references (usually from my own compatibility patches).  I do, however, have 2 dummies to fill HDT High heels and Heels Sound roles, so I don't have to mess with editing the mods in xEdit to remove or use those mods.  Hasn't caused a problem yet.  Both ESM's are flagged ESL so they don't waste a precious regular slot.

If I don't replace a mod I've removed, I leave the dummy in place to maintain the position of the remaining mods below that point.  I never let any mods shift position unless a conflict would be easier to correct by moving vs. creating overrides in xEdit. Depends on the situation, and then I only move that single plugin (or a pair will swap places).  Usually I replace a dummy place holder somewhere else if I move a mod. 

Unless I'm installing mods "under the influence", I'm usually pretty keen on what should be happening on the next game start.  When I see unexpected activity, I just exit the game and re-examine my load order to correct.  Wrye Bash makes it quite easy to use the savegame as a reference for what mod was loaded where.  I also have my Wrye Bash configured to notify me and automatically correct any load order changes that happen unexpectedly.  Only works while Wrye Bash is open, which means I leave it open most of the time.

ESL FormID position is most definitely separate from regular plugin positions.  The 1st ESL flagged (or named .ESL) mod in your load order loads into FE00, the 2nd into FE01, etc.  This is true no matter where the 1st ESL flagged mod shows up in your list.  If it is the 75th plugin and the 2nd is the 150th in your overall load order, the 1st one still loads in FE00, the 2nd in FE01, etc.  It's why ESL flagged ESP's are referred to as ESPFE, for the FE load position.  If you had a mod that wasn't ESL and you replace it with an ESL version, the form ID has just changed from something previously loading between 00-FD, to something between FE00 and FEFF, even if the mod in question is in the same relative position in your overall load order.  You can't avoid that unless you remove the ESL flag from an ESPFE or rename it from .ESL.

There is also a limit to how many total FormID's the game engine will load...which you'll probably reach long before you fill the FE00 - FEFF range with plugins.  I don't remember the limit, but I think I bumped into it once.  Strangest game behavior I've ever seen when whatever it was happened.  Bizarre memory errors, DLL's failing to load (randomly, different on each game execution), crazy graphic anomalies in game.  It was like a glass ceiling on memory.  Added a single large mod and had to remove a dozen smaller mods to stabilize the game.  Also ESM/ESL's, that memory space, seems to have more "room" for FormID's than ESP/FE land.  If you have a particularly large mod, making it an ESM will provide a more efficient memory footprint for it.  I don't remember the source of that last bit of info.

This is a decent guide on ESL's.  It's mostly accurate.  The parts about only being able to use 2048 of the 4096 FormID slots, and the comment about them wanting to jump around your load order, are not/no longer true.  The FormID range started out as only 2048 usable, but has since changed to include the full 4096 range.  I didn't bother to look into why that happened.  There is a flag in the expert settings of xEdit that will allow you to compact and use that additional range.  I'm not sure where the author of that article got the idea of ESL's jumping around.  There was a period of time that SKSE64 wasn't correctly handling the sort order between the plugin types.  That might have been what they were experiencing, that or some kind of mod manager auto sorting feature.  .ESL is like .ESM, so those will jump up into ESM land as a result.  Because of that, load order options are more flexible if you leave them named .ESP and just flag as ESL and/or ESM as needed.  Wrye Bash lets you toggle those on or off at a whim.  Vortex has a way to make plugins "light" (ESL), though I don't remember seeing a way to add the ESM flag.

There is a big, if rare, caveat to using ESL's.  If you define a new cell in an ESL-flagged mod, and it isn't loaded in the FE00 position, THEN you override something in that ESL later on in your load order with another plugin, any temporary objects defined within the 1st ESL will fail to show up in game.  I believe the same is true for ESL's used in FO4.  As long as you stay away from new cells in mods, or just don't try to patch them later on, you're good.  Also something to look for when considering compacting plugins for ESL compatibility.  If it defines new cells, don't do it.

ESL's were a welcome relief from merging plugins. I currently have 525 active plugins.  254 normal, 501 ESL (quite a few, but less than half, are patches).  Every "patch" I've ever encountered was ESL-capable, so that is very nice.

I seldom start a new game with dummy plugins, but I usually end up with several very quickly.  I'm honestly amazed I keep my games stable for as long as I do.  Fallrim Tools, Wrye Bash and xEdit.  "Don't mod Skyrim without them (TM)."

On 7/13/2020 at 8:40 PM, 4nk8r said:

The dummy plugins are simply to prevent mods below the removed mod from shifting upwards and changing their active FormID position in the load order.

Like I said, "changing their active FormID position" is not a problem. You're filling up your save with useless plugins when you could be spending their load order slots on something new. But hey, I'm not the one playing it.

ESL FormID position is most definitely separate from regular plugin positions.  The 1st ESL flagged (or named .ESL) mod in your load order loads into FE00, the 2nd into FE01, etc.  This is true no matter where the 1st ESL flagged mod shows up in your list.  If it is the 75th plugin and the 2nd is the 150th in your overall load order, the 1st one still loads in FE00, the 2nd in FE01, etc.  It's why ESL flagged ESP's are referred to as ESPFE, for the FE load position.

You don't need to worry about explaining how ESLs work to me.

And I'm sure you already know this but it's three digits after the FE: FE000, FE001, FE002, and so on.

If you had a mod that wasn't ESL and you replace it with an ESL version, the form ID has just changed from something previously loading between 00-FD, to something between FE00 and FEFF, even if the mod in question is in the same relative position in your overall load order.  You can't avoid that unless you remove the ESL flag from an ESPFE or rename it from .ESL.

Like I said, (1) the load order numbers do not matter between saves, Skyrim can totally handle those values changing because you moved things in your load order, but (2) I haven't tested to see if that mechanism is also capable of handling an ESP that switches the ESL flag off<->on between saves.

A save file is essentially a plugin loaded into the FF slot. And just like plugins, a save file can have its list of "masters" in any order.

4 hours ago, tasairis said:

Like I said, "changing their active FormID position" is not a problem. You're filling up your save with useless plugins when you could be spending their load order slots on something new. But hey, I'm not the one playing it.

You don't need to worry about explaining how ESLs work to me.

And I'm sure you already know this but it's three digits after the FE: FE000, FE001, FE002, and so on.

Like I said, (1) the load order numbers do not matter between saves, Skyrim can totally handle those values changing because you moved things in your load order, but (2) I haven't tested to see if that mechanism is also capable of handling an ESP that switches the ESL flag off<->on between saves.

A save file is essentially a plugin loaded into the FF slot. And just like plugins, a save file can have its list of "masters" in any order.

I swap out the empty spots when I have a mod I want to add, but I'm not sure about the game's ability to recover save data when plugin locations change.  From my POV, if that were true I shouldn't see mods re-init like they were being loaded for the first time.  I'm either preventing my saves from corruption or doing nothing to change anything.  Either way, I'm OK with it until better data comes along.

Edit:  Giving it a try without the spacer plugins.  I didn't see any re-inits, so I'll write off what I've seen before as UFO's and move on.  See how it goes from here.  Simplify my modding life quite a bit.  Thanks for the education and perspective.  Now I can be even more reckless with my savegames ;)