Skyrim's Hideous Males

I've finally gotten to the point where I can no longer stand the neck seam, the filthy bodies (for fluck's sake, there's water all over the damned place, why are people dirty?), and the generally disgusting men of Skyrim.

I've got a decent system with a decent graphics card.

I don't use things like ENB (heck, I dun't even know what that is anyway)

So, what male head and body meshes AND textures are "the bestest"?

I was thinking of Skysight, SAM, or Better Males, but I can't find a download for SAM, and Better Males scares me because it tells me to uncheck the hi-res texture packs.

So, what are my options?  Any thoughts, opinions, or hell, even a way to get rid of the neck seam, would be loved and appreciated.

The be all end all choice would be CMO but apparently it's hidden again.

Skysight is really solid, but doesn't support SOS, and the "remix" that does support SOS (The Veteran) is pixelated all to fuck, apparently zwabardie is a big fan of regenbot because the level of checkering and aliasing in Pure is about the same in all of Zwabardie's skins.

If you have a low res set up like 1920x1080 or a 6 bit monitor it'll prolly look alright, if you have anything higher resolution or more color depth, welp good luck unseeing the pixelation.

10 minutes ago, 27X said:

The be all end all choice would be CMO but apparently it's hidden again.

Skysight is really solid, but doesn't support SOS, and the "remix" that does support SOS (The Veteran) is pixelated all to fuck, apparently zwabardie is a big fan of regenbot because the level of checkering and aliasing in Pure is about the same all of Zwabardie's skins.

If you have a low res set up like 1920x1080 or a 6 bit monitor it'll prolly look alright, if you have anything higher resolution or more color depth, welp good luck unseeing the pixelation.

Thanks 27X, and um yeah, I agree with you.  I decided against Veteran after a quick look at the textures. Scary.  What was CMO?  In case it ever gets unhidden.

4 minutes ago, ThisTimeIBeAGoodGirlSir said:

Maybe this?

Thank you, GoodGirl.  That looks pretty nice, though it's hard to tell without downloading it, whether it has the meshes or not.  I suspect the meshes and the normal maps are what cause the whole neck seam thingy.

Or it could just be that I've got the grey-face bug on even vanilla NPCs.  Is there a fix for that?  It's been so long since I played Skyrim that I can barely remember how to swing a sword. hehe.

If you're using a head replacer like citrus, what you need to do is open the main game and main DLCs in the CK and mods with NPCs, bring up the NPC list and then hit CRTL+F4, and then wait.

A very very long time.

You might wanna just do this before you go to bed, actually.

Actually at the moment, I'm using vanilla heads, though not vanilla bodies, feets (can I say feets? lol) and hands.

The textures I'm using are my own, but with msn.dds's that match the meshes for the bodies, feets, and hands.  I'm using my own texture but with the vanilla head msn.dds.

However, I also deleted all my textures and meshes and let skyrim reacquire them (so I'm all too familiar with things that take forever lol).  I still have the grey face crud happening.

And, oddly enough, it happens ONLY on human males; khajiit and argonian aren't affected, and females aren't affected.

In the /meshes > actor > character > facegendata there is a Skyrim.ESM full of nifs

In the /textures > actor > character > facegendata > facetint -- there isn't a similar file -- only the one for my AllaKedrisFollower is there -- and Kedris doesn't have the grey-face, probably because he's a khajiit, and because I already knew to do the Ctrl + F4 thing with him.  (that was, literally, the first thing I ever learned the month after Skyrim came out lol)

So I guess my questions are now different.... Will (for instance) the meshes AND textures from BetterMales solve the grey crap?  That would rock, because those or the Vitruvia textures sure are pretty.

And, am I missing something in the textures I listed above, or, in other words, do I gotta highlight EVERY npc in skyrim and do the Ctrl+F4 thing?!

57 minutes ago, Allannaa said:

Thank you, GoodGirl.  That looks pretty nice, though it's hard to tell without downloading it, whether it has the meshes or not.  I suspect the meshes and the normal maps are what cause the whole neck seam thingy.

Or it could just be that I've got the grey-face bug on even vanilla NPCs.  Is there a fix for that?  It's been so long since I played Skyrim that I can barely remember how to swing a sword. hehe.

One of the base problems the game seems to have, is a issue of how certain things are set up. For example, the Human/Elven races(including Orcs), the game uses ONE file called BlankDetailMap.dds. It seems this one file is used by both males and females, which for a few reasons, is a problem. I use the Fair Skin Complexion textures for females, and with them? There is no neck seam on Human or Elven Characters. Though there is on males, though it is not a drastic one. Even using a male face texture mod meant to have no seams with SOS body textures, could still have them, because of this problem. 

However, using a male texture mod as well, especially one that changes the same mentioned texture file - like the mentioned Vitruvia? Now the males might have no neck seam, but the females do. 

As for Vitruva, I don't think it uses any meshes, though this could depend on the version of it. The Files tab on the Nexus page has a "Preview File Contents" option, so can see what is in an archive before downloading. 

18 minutes ago, Kuroyami said:

As for Vitruva, I don't think it uses any meshes, though this could depend on the version of it. The Files tab on the Nexus page has a "Preview File Contents" option, so can see what is in an archive before downloading. 

Well heck I never knew that, after all these years lol, thanks, Kuroyami!

I ended up getting BM and Vitruva both.  I'll try BM tomorrow, and Vitruva the day after.

And I think, once I decide which one I like... I really will load up the CK and do the Ctrl + F4 on... well... Every NPC

Thanks so much to everyone who made suggestions for prettying up guys in Skyrim, and thanks for the info about fixing grey face and seams. :smiley:

My main problem with most of the male replacers is they go too far, prettifying all the males into overly-clean twenty-something fashion mag models. The perfect beards and brows of Beards and Brows are especially bad, but most replacers either use them as assets or have them as a requirement.

A replacer that reduced the problems with vanilla males without completely turning them into something off a promo poster for a gay bar's saturday night event would be pretty nice.

3 hours ago, SmedleyDButler said:

My main problem with most of the male replacers is they go too far, prettifying all the males into overly-clean twenty-something fashion mag models. The perfect beards and brows of Beards and Brows are especially bad, but most replacers either use them as assets or have them as a requirement.

A replacer that reduced the problems with vanilla males without completely turning them into something off a promo poster for a gay bar's saturday night event would be pretty nice.

I agree that a lot of the replacers go way too far, and anything that randomizes stuff so that not all NPCs have the same body or skin tends to be performance heavy. 

I do have a couple of male textures I made myself, similar to the ones I made for females, that basically just get rid of the filthy skin.  Later today I'll hunt through my old flash-drives and find them, and post a screenie for you, Smedley.  If you like them, I can upload them here or just email them to you.

20 hours ago, Allannaa said:

I agree that a lot of the replacers go way too far, and anything that randomizes stuff so that not all NPCs have the same body or skin tends to be performance heavy. 

I do have a couple of male textures I made myself, similar to the ones I made for females, that basically just get rid of the filthy skin.  Later today I'll hunt through my old flash-drives and find them, and post a screenie for you, Smedley.  If you like them, I can upload them here or just email them to you.

Would be great, thanks!

Since I don't mind some variation (i.e. some staying Vanilla), I guess the answer is to use selective replacers for individual NPCs, though those often have the same problem and of course there's way fewer of those than are are for women.

Still looking for the texture files I mentioned.  I have a horrible feeling I didn't save them to thumbies after all and I  may have lost them with the computer meltdown, but I can do a fairly quick head and face that *should* work with almost any mesh and its associated MSN, S, and SK files.

As for my original reason for starting this topic... *sigh*.... I've now tried 4 different "improved" mods, and as Smedley says, they *all* turn every male in Skyrim into... well... a teenager with perfect skin.  In other words, too far the other direction.  Oh, well!  Incentive for me to find or remake my old textures, I s'pose.

But I really do appreciate everyone's suggestions, especially 27X's reminder that um, yeah, sometimes the Ctrl + F4 method is the only way to fix things.  I actually did that; went into the CK and highlighted every actor that wasn't a dragon or ghost or creature, and made FaceGen data.  That was a huge help.

I just wanted to say thank you for this topic, and all the advice in it.

After reading through I decided to give the Vitruvia SOS textures ago, removed that BlankDetailMap.dds, and for the first time in all my years of playing Skyrim the guys actually look pretty good. Tried lots of the others before with results I really didn't like, but for some reason I'd never heard of Vitruvia. It fits the bill very nicely for me.

Who knows, I might even finally get around to playing a non-lesbian dragonborn now. Well... that might be going just a touch too far... :classic_biggrin:

45 minutes ago, 27X said:

When dizona starts supporting mods made after 2014 people might caring, until then no.

no idea what don't work with dizona

if it need a patch, do it yourself

only problem i have with it is enhanced blood

with vanilla, you have neck, hands and feet seam

with m6 uv map there's 2 more, leg and shoulder seam

i could make body texture for body, head texture for head, hand for hand... that would eat much more ram, so i go with the seams

Archived