How to get Synth Curie as a companion without completing her quests?

There are so many hoops to get Curie as a companion from completing a dangerous quest to get Robot Curie where I can potentially get a permanent debuff to completing a fair part of the main story before she can get her synth body. Is there a way to speed this up using console commands without risking breaking the game?

How do I get her the synth body, though? I don't want to run through the main quest in all my playthroughs just for her.

Besides even the quest to get Robot Curie can be hard for low-level characters. I remember some high-level enemies at the end of the quest where some password was hidden. I was wondering if there is a way to bypass that with console commands and get her ASAP.

The quest won't trigger until after you kill Kellog and go through the process of going through his memories. I would check Curies quest and see if you can manually advance it as her affinity won't progress past 498 until she becomes a synth either (at least it shouldn't). There is likely a stage that checks to make sure the part with Kellog is done and you may be able to manually advance her quest through the transition stages.

You can use this, to cure the molerat disease, if contracted. Alternatively, you can give yourself a copy of the cure in console (player.additem 00055f10).  Thirdly, it's possible to initiate the conversation about handing over the cure, then exit the conversation - take the cure yourself, then re-enter the conversation.  You will no longer have the cure, but the game will act is as if you still had it, and complete with the "happy" ending for the boy in Vault 81.

Also, if you find yourself getting in to a hot battle you can't win, you can always enter "kah" in console, which will kill all hostiles in your vicinity.

Though as Veladarius points out, you will have to progress several of the main quests along far enough that you have a.) Met Dr. Amari, b.) killed Kellollog and explored his memories, and c.) met Curie and advanced her relationship to at least 250.

You can modify the affinity with the following commands:

targetID.setav CA_affinity – Sets Companion Affinity Level to an absolute value
targetID.modav CA_affinity – Modifies Companion Affinity Level by a relative value

I wouldn't recommend advancing the Kellog or Curie quests with console though, as they have a number of set based triggers and affect many other parts of the game upon reaching specific milestones.

• 2 months later...

I made a small plugin to allow progressing Curie's quest "Emergent Behaviour" without the need to go through the main quest part where you kill Kellogg.

In vanilla game, killing Kellogg and taking his little brain to Amari, provides player with the knowledge that Amari can do the brain magic that Curie needs.

In the plugin i made, this "knowledge" is given to player after talking to either Amari or Irma at Memory Den (or just by attempting to start a conversation, in case they dont want to talk to the player - basically just "activating" either NPC will do).

There is no need to mess with the main quest related to Kellogg.

All that needs to be done, is to set COMCurieQuest to stage 150, which is exactly what the vanilla game does anyway after you bring Kelloggs brain to Amari - contrary to what AWP3RATOR says above, this is perfectly safe (even from the console).

Player still must go through the "Hole in the Wall" quest, to get the robot Curie, because i am not sure how to work around this while still allowing player to do that quest later.

Maybe making the "hidden" elevator terminal available from the normal vault, so player can hack it, unlock the door, and use the elevator to get right where Curie is, without going through all the molerats.

But that would require some non-trivial changes, and i am too lazy to do that.

I was also thinking about adding a note to some terminal somewhere, or maybe placing a note/book/magazine, which would provide the "knowledge" about Amari without the need of talking to her or Irma, but i cant think of any good convenient AND logical place for it.

The whole "learn about Amari" step could be completely skipped, but that doesn't feel right.

Any ideas about how the player should learn about Amari? (in some easy, convenient, yet logical and lore-friendly way)

Maybe instead of talking to Amari/Irma, simply visiting the Memory Den might be enough?

On 03/02/2018 at 9:22 AM, Roggvir said:

Any ideas about how the player should learn about Amari? (in some easy, convenient, yet logical and lore-friendly way)

Maybe instead of talking to Amari/Irma, simply visiting the Memory Den might be enough?

Some of the settlers have idle dialogue about goodneighbour where the memory den is so adding a dialogue or idle about amazing/weird stuff going on their seems lore friendly to me

On 4. 2. 2018 at 10:37 AM, pinky6225 said:

Some of the settlers have idle dialogue about goodneighbour where the memory den is so adding a dialogue or idle about amazing/weird stuff going on their seems lore friendly to me

Hmmm, i'd rather avoid messing with dialogues, but it is a good idea, i will consider it in case the mod grows into something more complex by also adding some way to skip the whole molerat adventure in Vault 81.

For now i'd rather focus on simple ways - like adding a note/magazine somewhere in the world, that would inform the player about Amari, but i am too lazy and unimaginative to come up with these things myself :smile:

4 hours ago, Varithina said:

But it is only -10hp, does it really matter that much? Source http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Mole_rat_disease

For me the annoyance comes mostly from the fact that before you can even start the "Hole in the Wall" quest, you need to give blood to Dr Forsythe, find Ashes for Erin, and usually wait or sleep 24 hours, then you need to go listen to hysterical Dr Pensky, then follow that moron Bobby DeLuca who keeps getting stuck at every corner, and then you need to get through all those molerats (provided everything went ok, and Austin didn't get stuck in the class forever, or something like that).

And the molerat disease isn't annoying because of -10HP, but because it stays in the pipboy status screen and THAT annoyes me :smile:, and yep, sure enough, i can use the console to get rid of it, but that is just another unneccessary thing to do.

It's not even that hard to get through the molerats without contracting the disease, even on very low levels, but it takes a long time, because one must be very carefull, use mines, and make use of the protectron (who keeps walking soooooo slooooow).

Now if you are playing on Survival with other mods that make things even more difficult (especially from the start), this whole process (not just the molerats) can take a lot of time - all mostly just so you can get a companion.

Dont get me wrong, i think these quests are good, and i like the way they are linked, but after playing through them several dozen times, they became more or less just an annoyance.

So, it would be nice to have some "shortcut" for those times when you just want to sandbox or fool around.

• 3 months later...

Sorry for digging up corpses...

I am working on a mod to allow the player to get Curie without having to do "Hole in the Wall", and still allowing to do the quest after getting Curie.

It also includes the change allowing you to do the "Emergent Behavior" without having to hunt down Kellogg.

Method #1

1. Activate the mysterious inaccessible door in Vault 81 entry hallway
    First activation doesn't do anything to prevent accidental activation, second activation makes player kick the door and they open.

2. Use the elevator to get to Curie
    Talk to her as usual to get her open the door - for no apparent reason, ForceGreet does not work 90% of the time, so you may have to initiate the conversation yourself.

3. Get the cure, Curie, and get out
    She gives you the cure and follows you out.
    Getting the cure will not start the "Hole in the Wall" quest, but will advance it if it has been already started.

4. Make her a proper companion
    When out of the Secret Vault, she initiates her "intro" conversation where she asks you to take her with you.
    This happens after she gets out of the elevator and into the middle of the hallway leading to the now open mysterious door you used to get in.
    If you agree, she will turn into a proper companion following you.
    If you decline, she will proceed into the Vault 81 proper, where she can be found if you change your mind.

If you start the "Hole in the Wall" quest after this, the scene where you have to follow Bobby DeLuca to the secret hidden door will be skipped, and you wont need to go into the secret vault (Curie already gave you the cure).

So, right after DeLuca tells Penske & Forsythe about the secret vault, Forsythe reads your mind saying "The Cure! You found it!", skipping right to the usual ending scene where you can choose whether to give him the cure or not.

NOTE: you can still access the Secret Vault after all this - just go to Reactor Room, where the secret hidden door are, and kick the wall like DeLuca does :smile:

Method #2

1. Get into the molerat infested secret vault
    Use the secret hidden door in the Reactor Room - activate the wall to kick it the same way as DeLuca does, to reveal the door.

2. Find Curie
    Proceed through the secret vault vanilla style, fighting molerats, until you find the terminal password and use it to open the door to the last section.

3. Get the cure, Curie, and get out
    From now on it is the same as from step #3 in Method #1.

Method #3

• The vanilla style
    Start "Hole in the Wall" quest the same way as you do in vanilla game, and proceed as normal.
    The only difference is that you will be able to recruit Curie right after you get out of the elevator (as described in Method #1, step #4)

If you want to do the "Emergent Behavior" without having to hunt for Kellogg, go to Memory Den and talk to Irma or Amari.

Curie's affinity still matters to trigger the quest, but onc eit does start, you can go straight to Memory Den to talk to Irma/Amari to learn that they can help, then speak to Curie and proceed as normal.

##########################################################################

I still need to test it properly, so there is no download yet, but soon.

btw. anyone having problems with npcs failing to force-greet the player???

For example, Austin in Vault 81 is supposed to forcegreet player to offer "a tour", but more often than not he just run to meet the player and then stands there like a stump for a moment, until eventually yelling something like "where are you going mister" when i go past, and then he runs away.

Similarly with Curie, when you first meet her, she is supposed to force-greet, no? but it almost never happens and i must initiate the conversation with her.

I can't see this could be because of something i did, as i didn't change these things.

Was it always broken like that and i didn't notcied until now?

On 2018-02-06 at 3:03 PM, Roggvir said:

[snip]

...and make use of the protectron (who keeps walking soooooo slooooow).

[snip]

It's not just your character who has to worry about getting attacked by the molerats. According to the wiki, you can also contract the disease if the molerats hit the protectron (or a companion iirc). I can confirm that bullshit from personal experience.

For Amari, maybe you can learn about her from the Railroad? Since she works for them, they should have information on her. Add an entry to one of their terminals, or just a new terminal somewhere in the HQ or in the Switchboard Vault where you find Tommy Whispers and the prototype stealthboy.. Random NPCs talking about her wouldn't work lore-wise as that's a pretty big secret. If it were widely known the Institute would have put a stop to her hacking their property by now. 

27 minutes ago, KainsChylde said:

For Amari, maybe you can learn about her from the Railroad? Since she works for them, they should have information on her. Add an entry to one of their terminals, or just a new terminal somewhere in the HQ or in the Switchboard Vault where you find Tommy Whispers and the prototype stealthboy.. Random NPCs talking about her wouldn't work lore-wise as that's a pretty big secret. If it were widely known the Institute would have put a stop to her hacking their property by now. 

I think it can be much more simple.

Player is looking for someone who might be able to help.

Considering what Memory Den is widely known for (ppl go there to hook their brain into a machine to relive their memories), it is perfectly reasonable to think that the ppl running Memory Den might be able to help.

You dont need to know anything about the Railroad, or that they sent synths to Memory Den to get their memories wiped - none of that is required to draw the logical conclusion that people, who make living by messing with brains, might be able to help finding someone who can mess with brains even more.

So, the simple knowledge of Memory Den's existence is enough to go there and ask if they could help, or if they maybe know someone else who could.

Therefore, visiting Memory Den, or even hearing about it from some random NPC, would be perfectly valid reasons to go there.

Anyway, to keep things simple, i believe visiting MD and speaking with Amari or Irma is enough.

No need to create new random npc conversations, or hijacking any possibly existing one for this purpose.

btw. since the most important features are done (see post #14) i am thinking of including more optional changes.

Any ideas?

Is there anything more related to Curie, or any of the quests she is involved in, that you want to change in any way?

Or what about the other companions?

1 hour ago, KainsChylde said:

Since Curie is a synth, maybe take a page from the 2Human mods (Codsworth and Ada) to make her appearance and abilities editable?

You mean like make her into a robot editable using the robot workbench?

Isn't that already possible even in vanilla game? (until she switches into the synth body).

In any case, since i have no particular intention or idea, i'd need a more detailed request/description of what should be done.

No, in the 2Human series by Lazygirl you can turn Codsworth and Ada into Synths much like turning Curie into one in the vanilla game (though there's no quest, just a control item in their inventory you can use to toggle them back and forth). Changes you make to them in robot form can affect their abilities in Synth form, but in addition using the control item you can edit their abilities (tweak their SPECIAL stats, give them perks, etc) and open looksmenu to change their appearance.

38 minutes ago, Weebjäger said:

Please make the mod Roggvir i've been searching for weeks

Ok, seeing someone really wants this, i will.

I am just about to test how Curie's and Austin's force-greet work in a completely vanilla, unmodded game.

I need to make sure that my mod is not responsible for the broken force-greets.

Depending on my findings, i will either release the mod immediately (after one final review in both CK and FO4Edit), or keep searching for solution/workaround and release it a bit later.

1 hour ago, Roggvir said:

I am just about to test how Curie's and Austin's force-greet work in a completely vanilla, unmodded game.

I need to make sure that my mod is not responsible for the broken force-greets.

Done.

Conclusion: mod is not responsible.

Neither of these NPCs is using proper force-greet. When they do initiate the dialogue with player, it's because... reasons.

The dialogue depends on certain conditions, but even if those conditions are fulfilled, the NPC rarely start the dialogue - that is the reason why the "force-greet" packages and TopicInfo settings exist, but they are not used here.

I thought i remember both Curie and Austin were force-greeting the player, but that is not true.

Now i am going to review the mod in CK and FO4Edit, and i want to try finding out why CK changes the "subtype" of any topic infos i edited, and if it is safe to ignore or not.