I was banging this problem around in my head some more and I think I may have a simple solution.

Have a single conception roll when the actor is inseminated, but keep that information "off the books" for now. Then roll for the time (in hours) to pass before the "magical moment: and the actual records are updated. There is a problem if another father inseminates the actor, but that can be solved with a simple contest. If the new father's conception time is before the previous father's, then the previous father's records are dropped and the new father takes his place.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to learn the code here, so I can't write anything now; but I did come up with a quick and dirty abstract.

Flag the mother as inseminated and record the potential father
Determine the possible coneption date
Generate a random number between 1 and the sperm life (in days) * 24
Divide by 24 and add to the current day/time (now)

Check what fertility phase the mother will be in on the possible conception date
If the mother will be in the menstral phase then 
    set fertility to 0
If the mother will be in the infertal phase then 
    set fertility to 2
If the mother will be in the fertal phase then set 
    fertility to 58
Generate a random number between 1 and 100
If the number is less than or equal to the fertility then 
    If the possible coneption date is sooner than the current conception date then
        If the mother has a current father then
            remove the current father
        set the potential father to the current father
        set the current coception date to the possible conception date

KRB

10 hours ago, Kae Arby said:

I, um, ran into a big problem. 

I noticed that every female NPC that got inseminated became pregnant. So I dove into the _JSW_BB_HandlerQuestAliasScript and I think that I found the problem.

Correct me if I'm reading this wrong, but it looks like every time that OnUpdateGameTime() executes, it checks every tracked NPC (UpdateStatusAll()). If that NPC is inseminated then a conception (GetRandomInt) roll is made. If the roll passes (a 1 or 2 for the luteal phase or 1-58 for the ovulation phase) then the actor becomes pregnant. This check is conducted once every game hour (default) for the lifetime of the sperm (default: 5 days).

I did some looking around and found rolling "snake-eyes" with a pair of dice and started doing the math.

During the luteal phase, the actor has a 2% chance of conceiving. During the five days the sperm is viable, the actor is checked 120 times (5 days * 24 hours per day). A 2% chanced of conceiving translates to a 98% chance of not conceiving.

total chance of not conceiving = 0.98^120 = 0.088538

Meaning the actor has an overall 8.85% chance of NOT conceiving (or 91.11% chanced OF conceiving).

For yuks, I ran the numbers for when the actor is in the ovulation phase and came up with this.

total chance of not conceiving = 0.42^120 = 6.164741E-46

Meaning the actor has an overall 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000616% chance of NOT conceiving.

If the actor uses a contraceptive, the chances aren't much better (29.94% chance of not conceiving for luteal phase and a 0.00000000000000001416% chance of not conceiving during the ovulation phase).

What this translates to is that if a female actor (player or NPC) is inseminated, she WILL become pregnant during the ovulation phase and she will almost certainly become pregnant during the luteal phase.

I've been rolling possible solutions in my head, and I've come up with three; but none of them are, shall we say, trivial.

KRB

A simpler solution might be to just reduce sperm life to a slightly more realistic one or two days.

I think it's nearer 12 hours in RL

40 minutes ago, Fredfish said:

A simpler solution might be to just reduce sperm life to a slightly more realistic one or two days.

I think it's nearer 12 hours in RL

It depends on a number of things (sperm count, sperm quality, the vaginal environment, etc.), but the RL time sperm can survive in a woman's body is indeed ~5 days.

Of course, in RL, a woman tends not to be inseminated with 2% chance every hour of every day by magic scripts. ;) I'll do some thinking myself and see if I can tweak things to reduce pregnancy chances. The plan was for it to be an amortized 20% over the course of the cycle, but hourly updates throw a wrench into that plan. I have a few ideas to try out.

Encountering some problems while playing as a male in Special Edition.

1. Inseminating your spouse automatically through sleep will result in her getting sperm from "unknown." I had turned off all random insemination events except for spouses. Adding sperm through the debug menu will make it your kid.

2. The baby growing into a child still causes CTDs for me. I'm outside of breezehome at the time of spawning and all other requirements for child growth listed in the mod description are being met. Sometimes I'm able to name the kid but will CTD when entering breezehome, other times I'll CTD right away. I'll put my load order in the spoiler and include papyrus logs for if anyone wants to take a look.

Spoiler

0  0 Skyrim.esm
 1  1 Update.esm
 2  2 Dawnguard.esm
 3  3 HearthFires.esm
 4  4 Dragonborn.esm
 5  5 Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp
 6  6 SMIM-SE-Merged-All.esp
 7  7 SkyUI_SE.esp
 8  8 Weapons Armor Clothing & Clutter Fixes.esp
 9  9 WACCF_BashedPatchLvlListFix.esp
10  a dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp
11  b UIExtensions.esp
12  c AddItemMenuSE.esp
13  d SOSRaceMenu.esp
14  e XPMSE.esp
15  f CBBE.esp
16 10 RaceMenuMorphsCBBE.esp
17 11 RaceMenu.esp
18 12 RaceMenuPlugin.esp
19 13 Fertility Mode.esp
20 14 Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp
      Bashed Patch, 0.esp

Papyrus.0.log

On 6/3/2019 at 11:45 AM, Narue said:

It depends on a number of things (sperm count, sperm quality, the vaginal environment, etc.), but the RL time sperm can survive in a woman's body is indeed ~5 days.

Of course, in RL, a woman tends not to be inseminated with 2% chance every hour of every day by magic scripts. ;) I'll do some thinking myself and see if I can tweak things to reduce pregnancy chances. The plan was for it to be an amortized 20% over the course of the cycle, but hourly updates throw a wrench into that plan. I have a few ideas to try out.

Yes, you're right. It's the egg that only survives 12 to 24 hours.

Having a few issues. Male PC this time.

Pregnancy chance seems much too high. Looks like that was reported above in detail.

Keep getting Dovakids appearing on entering a new area for <a few seconds. Often one is created a second before first one dissappears. They never last more than about 4 secs, usually less. Interactive.  Disable in console has no effect.

I (imho of course) don't like the new tracking list as a male. Once a toon dissappears of the end of the list, there doesn't seem to be a way to know her fertility. Planning or avoiding a pregnancy with a regular partner is thus impossible, totally at odds with reality.

In a addition, the list takes a long time.to load on my overworked poor pc at least.

I also miss the information notifications x is pregnant with y's child.

Some suggestions :

Tracking list has modes or panes. All recent (as now), unique only, and (possibly hopefully) favorites.

MCM page for what info player wishes to receive.  sometimes its nice to play immersive, sometimes its nice to know everything! Also, as said earlier, partners are likely to advise fertile statue ("Don't come inside me") so to me, no info at all is actually un immersive .

Addable spells for fertility matters. Similar say to SLEN with its detect spells. Low level to detect not fertile, mid detects fertile, high to set cycle to day 1, v high to set fertile, master to add sperm from target to self/self to target.

Like the cycle more with new version. Kinda have a proper cycle with menstruation now, though still wish we needed rags to avoid a MCM controlled rebuff.

More variety in contraception potions. I like it as a low level female that contraception is a struggle. Playing as male atm so may have missed something here though.

Sorry on crap phone so not good post.

Appreciate the mod a lot. Thank you.

I legit have no idea about the CTDs, and not being able to reproduce it on my end makes it almost impossible to troubleshoot. :(

Concerning the guaranteed pregnancy, I'm working on that now. My current approach is to additionally store the point of ovulation. During the ovulation period, there's a daily check for ovulation itself, and it only occurs once per cycle. After 24 hours, the egg no longer becomes viable, so the end result is each woman has a small window of true fertility each cycle, and it's random which day within the ovulation period that happens (at the moment a random percent normalized by the number of days in that phase, so with an 8 day ovulation period, each day has a 12.5 percent chance of actual ovulation). So far it's looking good, I just need to flesh out the details when it comes to notifications and tracking display.

I got hit with the CTD when a child spawns as well, but have no mods to affect children. I had my own workaround (stash baby item and go adopt a child somewhere), but then had two major issues. My character could never run full speed again (not sure if that was due to not spawning or the recovery is never official until they spawn) and for some reason, it would not consider the three hearthfire homes as acceptable for spawning. I like the idea of the mod, but had to take it out because of the running issue. 

Not sure if any of that helps with the other CTD reports, but figured I'd share in the hopes it helps. 

41 minutes ago, kdoggg1971 said:

Tested the new version for the spawn CTD and I still get that. Going to give it another test to see if I get that never run again bug I posted about above.

Yeah, it seems like something is happening to the facegen files between the time I package all of the files up and the time they're unpackaged on the user side. I have no idea what's happening or why, because everything works just peachy on my end, but it does indeed appear to be facegen.

I've gotten reports that regenerating the facegen files from the CK on your side fixes things, if you want to give that a go.

Looks like a cool mod and cant wait to play, but i am not sure whether is should install Fertility Mode SE 2.2.0.zip or Fertility Mode SexLab 2.2.0.zip or both? Thanks!)

Sexlab STDs have condoms component... would it be possible in the future to use condoms to avoid pregnancy?

15 hours ago, Narue said:

Yeah, it seems like something is happening to the facegen files between the time I package all of the files up and the time they're unpackaged on the user side. I have no idea what's happening or why, because everything works just peachy on my end, but it does indeed appear to be facegen.

I've gotten reports that regenerating the facegen files from the CK on your side fixes things, if you want to give that a go.

I downloaded the new version and got the usual crashing bug but regenerating the facegen fixed the crashing problem. The children are behaving as Hearthfire children so everything is good in that department. ?

Belly scaling is working but adjusting the multiplier for size doesn't seem to make a difference.

22 hours ago, murdakreg said:

Looks like a cool mod and cant wait to play, but i am not sure whether is should install Fertility Mode SE 2.2.0.zip or Fertility Mode SexLab 2.2.0.zip or both? Thanks!)

Sexlab STDs have condoms component... would it be possible in the future to use condoms to avoid pregnancy?

The SE or LE plugin is the core mod, you need it regardless. The SexLab patch does nothing more than add SexLab gender recognition to everything. You don't *need* it, but if you're diddling with things like futa, it's recommended. Just as a note, all of the patches (barring the Flower Girls patch) change only a single script.

Concerning condoms, I'm not sure that would fit in the TES universe. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

9 hours ago, myhouseatl said:

I have Skyrim Se and Sexlab. So, which files do I need?  And what is HMA?

The SE 2.2.0 build and SexLab 2.2.0 patch are suggested. As mentioned above, you only need the SexLab patch if you're changing the base gender of any actors. SexLab insemination recognition is built into the core mod. HMA is Hearthfire Multiple Adoptions. It increases the child adoption limit from 2 to 6, and also adds support for certain mod homes.

11 minutes ago, Sorloth001 said:

Do I need a new game for the 2.2.0 version? I still use the 1.5.0 version. Also, what is HMA?

A new game is not needed, but only if you're currently running 2.1.0. All of the guts for tracking changed between 1.5 and 2.0, so a new game (or carefully cleaned game) would be required for that jump. See above for HMA.

Not sure where I read it before, but I think there is an issue with SE where instant spawning of NPCs can cause CTD. I have searched for that article to see if there was a fix for this since I have had issues with another mod I've been converting to SE for personal use, Sexlab Kidnapped Redux. With that mod, I get a CTD when kidnappers spawn if they happen after the game has been loaded for a while. If this is the case, this may be an issue that will never be fixed. But, I had an idea for you on this one, if it's possible anyway. A new building, sort of like a nursery, where you can take the baby after a certain amount of time. You can hand the baby over for whatever reason sounds plausible, leave and a few days later, the courier comes with a letter informing you your child has been taken to your home. This can leave the mod to basically spawn while you are not in the cell and generate the child. Again, not sure if there is a spawn fix anywhere else yet or how doable the suggestion is, but it could be a good workaround. 

29 minutes ago, kdoggg1971 said:

Not sure where I read it before, but I think there is an issue with SE where instant spawning of NPCs can cause CTD. I have searched for that article to see if there was a fix for this since I have had issues with another mod I've been converting to SE for personal use, Sexlab Kidnapped Redux. With that mod, I get a CTD when kidnappers spawn if they happen after the game has been loaded for a while. If this is the case, this may be an issue that will never be fixed. But, I had an idea for you on this one, if it's possible anyway. A new building, sort of like a nursery, where you can take the baby after a certain amount of time. You can hand the baby over for whatever reason sounds plausible, leave and a few days later, the courier comes with a letter informing you your child has been taken to your home. This can leave the mod to basically spawn while you are not in the cell and generate the child. Again, not sure if there is a spawn fix anywhere else yet or how doable the suggestion is, but it could be a good workaround. 

I'll do some research on that CTD thing you mentioned. If it turns out to be the case, I'd rather remove all child spawning than leave such a nasty bug unfixed. :( However, I'm more inclined to think that it's fixable in the case of Fertility Mode.

As for spawning in another cell, that's not possible with dynamic NPCs to the best of my knowledge.

2 hours ago, Narue said:

I'll do some research on that CTD thing you mentioned. If it turns out to be the case, I'd rather remove all child spawning than leave such a nasty bug unfixed. :( However, I'm more inclined to think that it's fixable in the case of Fertility Mode.

As for spawning in another cell, that's not possible with dynamic NPCs to the best of my knowledge.

It wouldn't be a technical spawn, so I may have misspoke. Only example of what I meant I can think of is in the Helgen Reborn mod where NPCs only show up (or spawn) after a certain condition is met. Not sure what game scripts they use, but you might use that as a basis for a workaround. 

Thanks for this mod! I have been using this mod for quite a while and it gives me a lot of fun! However, I am wondering, in the latest version of Fertility Mod (ie. 2.x.x) do I still need to install fertility mod - child to spawn a child? Or it has been included in the latest version?

1 hour ago, SkyrimRider said:

Thanks for this mod! I have been using this mod for quite a while and it gives me a lot of fun! However, I am wondering, in the latest version of Fertility Mod (ie. 2.x.x) do I still need to install fertility mod - child to spawn a child? Or it has been included in the latest version?

It's been included in the core mod. The pre-2.0 children extension will no longer have any effect, though it won't break anything either.

The BSA version does not stop crashes. I downloaded the loose version and generated the face gen files and it worked perfectly. I'm not sure whats going wrong with the face gen texture files when you upload because they simply don't exist when I download a new version. When I generate them the are located in \Textures\Actors\Character\FaceGenData\FaceTint\Fertility Mode.esp\ keep in mind that the "Fertility Mode.esp" at the end is the name of the folder and not the actual esp.

Once I fixed the facegen this latest version is working great, I haven't encountered any issues. Thanks for sticking with it for so long.

Any chance of children growing into adults returning in a future version?