CK2 Modding Quick Question Thread

I don't know if this is the right place to put this but I cannot seem to get the mods I downloaded from loverslab to actually work, They have been downloaded, extracted, put in the right folder, when I open the launcher I can enable them, which I do. However they do not actually add anything at all to the game, and there is no sign that they even exist. 

This is my first time downloading mods outside of steam so it is probably me fucking up somewhere but is anyone willing to help?

6 hours ago, Saph01 said:

I don't know if this is the right place to put this but I cannot seem to get the mods I downloaded from loverslab to actually work, They have been downloaded, extracted, put in the right folder, when I open the launcher I can enable them, which I do. However they do not actually add anything at all to the game, and there is no sign that they even exist. 

This is my first time downloading mods outside of steam so it is probably me fucking up somewhere but is anyone willing to help?

I did a mod installation instruction piece with screen shots. If you look at the first thread for my mod, there is a section with a spoiler tag that you can expand called Mod Installation.

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/57549-mod-ck2-dark-world-reborn-updated-17may2020/

Off hand, there are a couple things to be careful about. 1 - ensure that you're putting it in the correct mod folder. The mod folder that is where the CK2 resides in Steam is the wrong place to put them. 2 - a number of mods here aren't meant to remain in the zipped state. I know a number of Steam related ones are, so you need to ensure after you extract something in the correct mod folder, that it would have both the modname.mod file and a folder related to the modname.

Both of the above things are mentioned in the installation instructions in my thread. I'm just mentioning them here, as they seem to be frequent mistakes in trying to get things set-up.

How do I replace an event picture for an existing event in the vanilla game. I don't want to rewrite the event, just change the picture. Do I need to go into the vanilla game and replace the picture or do I put the original picture name of the event in my mod's interface file and the  new picture in my mod's gfx file?

3 hours ago, joemann said:

How do I replace an event picture for an existing event in the vanilla game. I don't want to rewrite the event, just change the picture. Do I need to go into the vanilla game and replace the picture or do I put the original picture name of the event in my mod's interface file and the  new picture in my mod's gfx file?

You can either:

a) overwrite the single event by copying the event code and putting it in a separate file (making sure the filename comes after the vanilla file name, alphabetically speaking).

b) overwrite the gfx file entry.

Option A is the best because it will only overwrite a single usage of the picture, while option B is the nuclear option, as it will overwrite all mentions of the vanilla picture (event pictures are more often than not reused by other events).

Dumb question: If I have mods install and then buy and install DLC some of the mods use do I need, or is it even just a good idea, to reinstall the mods after the DLC? I ask this as Steam gave me this error "Steam failed to install  Crusader Kings II : DLC NAME (app configuration unavailable)". Yet on the libary page it says all the new DLC are installed.

(sorry if this is the wrong place to post this)

For some reason my event pictures aren't showing up at all. I have the event_pictures.gfx set up properly:

spriteTypes = {
	spriteType = {
		name = "GFX_event_sus"
		texturefile = "gfx\\event_pictures\GFX_event_sus.tga"
		allwaystransparent = yes
	}
}

As well as it properly defined in the event file:

character_event = {
	id = testevent.01
	desc = EVTDESCtestevent.01
	picture = GFX_event_sus

But my logs are giving me this error and I have no idea why:

[event.cpp:1255]: Non-existent image for event picture 'GFX_evt_sus'.

22 hours ago, heliospolaris said:

Dumb question: If I have mods install and then buy and install DLC some of the mods use do I need, or is it even just a good idea, to reinstall the mods after the DLC? I ask this as Steam gave me this error "Steam failed to install  Crusader Kings II : DLC NAME (app configuration unavailable)". Yet on the libary page it says all the new DLC are installed.

(sorry if this is the wrong place to post this)

No, you don't need to. Mods are not exclusive to DLCs.

10 hours ago, gwynceach_ said:

For some reason my event pictures aren't showing up at all. I have the event_pictures.gfx set up properly:

spriteTypes = {
	spriteType = {
		name = "GFX_event_sus"
		texturefile = "gfx\\event_pictures\GFX_event_sus.tga"
		allwaystransparent = yes
	}
}

As well as it properly defined in the event file:

character_event = {
	id = testevent.01
	desc = EVTDESCtestevent.01
	picture = GFX_event_sus

But my logs are giving me this error and I have no idea why:

[event.cpp:1255]: Non-existent image for event picture 'GFX_evt_sus'.

1. Never use TGA. Always use DDS.

2. Never use periods in localisation (desc)

5 hours ago, Critter101 said:

How do you add pictures to events without replacing the originals? I just want a variety of pictures for certain events, I presume you just convert the pictures to DDS then name them appropriately, could someone give me an example?

1. Find the picture you want to replace. It'll be in the /gfx/event_pictures/ folder. e.g.: /gfx/event_pictures/hl_children_training.tga

2. (optional) Convert to DDS.

3. Name the new file whatever you want in the same folder. e.g.: /gfx/event_pictures/MAPs_are_actually_just_pedophiles.dds

4. Find the original filename in the .gfx file in the /interface/ folder. e.g.: hl_children_training.tga can be found in the /interface/event_pictures_HL.gfx file.

5. Change the texturefile entry to match the new filename.

And that's a very simple guide on how to replace pictures.

so i need help ive read through this and tried most if not all the things said here

i made sure the mods i picked up were in the correct folder,  in user paradox ck all that , the mod folder didnt say dont put things here it was just empty, i unzzipped all my mods then put the folders in there, i loaded the game from my shortcut and the mod tab is dark, nothing in it in game wont even register i have any installed i even tried taking the folder and the modname.mod thing out of these folders and placed them in the mod folder then got rid of the now empty unzipped folder, still nothing in game . can someone help me

to clarify i also followed the mini tuturial in the dark worlds reborn modpage

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to use variables as a counter?

I create a variable: set_variable = { which = myvariable value = 0 } in the scope of my character.

Every time  my character gets a character_modifier I would like it to register, so I know the number of times the character gets the modifier.

However adding the change_variable =  { which = myvariable value = 1 } command to the command block where the character modifier is given doesn't seem to work, because the change_variable command doesn't add to the variable but just sets it to 1. So you never get beyond 1. Although there is a subtract_variable command there seems to be ino add_variable command.Am I missing something?

10 hours ago, joemann said:

Is it possible to use variables as a counter?

I create a variable: set_variable = { which = myvariable value = 0 } in the scope of my character.

Every time  my character gets a character_modifier I would like it to register, so I know the number of times the character gets the modifier.

However adding the change_variable =  { which = myvariable value = 1 } command to the command block where the character modifier is given doesn't seem to work, because the change_variable command doesn't add to the variable but just sets it to 1. So you never get beyond 1. Although there is a subtract_variable command there seems to be ino add_variable command.Am I missing something?

The only possible way that this is screwing up for you is that you are calling on set_variable each time before you call on change_variable, forcing the variable back to 0 before it becomes 1 again. Check your code and see how many times set_variable is being used.

On 6/25/2020 at 11:36 PM, lockeslylcrit said:

1. Find the picture you want to replace. It'll be in the /gfx/event_pictures/ folder. e.g.: /gfx/event_pictures/hl_children_training.tga

2. (optional) Convert to DDS.

3. Name the new file whatever you want in the same folder. e.g.: /gfx/event_pictures/MAPs_are_actually_just_pedophiles.dds

4. Find the original filename in the .gfx file in the /interface/ folder. e.g.: hl_children_training.tga can be found in the /interface/event_pictures_HL.gfx file.

5. Change the texturefile entry to match the new filename.

And that's a very simple guide on how to replace pictures.

Thanks for your help.  

Just one more question based on the LF Extras mod, I've been trying to put in pictures for the chain event for raping after siege, the first three pictures show (act1,2 and 3) but for some reason the fourth one (act 4) doesn't.  This has happen to all the custom pictures I've put in so far.

I can't figure out where I have gone wrong, I've filled in the DWE_codiniextras, input the dds picture on the 'codini' folder, filled in the DWT_rape_events, and the dwt_scripted_effects but the pictures for act 4 wont show.

16 hours ago, Critter101 said:

Thanks for your help.  

Just one more question based on the LF Extras mod, I've been trying to put in pictures for the chain event for raping after siege, the first three pictures show (act1,2 and 3) but for some reason the fourth one (act 4) doesn't.  This has happen to all the custom pictures I've put in so far.

I can't figure out where I have gone wrong, I've filled in the DWE_codiniextras, input the dds picture on the 'codini' folder, filled in the DWT_rape_events, and the dwt_scripted_effects but the pictures for act 4 wont show.

I'm not the mod author to LF Extras, so I cant give much help outside of general modding.

1. Check the Validator and see if there are any missing braces.

2. Check the event code and see if the picture has the exact name as the one in the gfx file.

3. Check the gfx file and see if it has the proper file structure.

Thanks, I fixed it and it now works.

I have another question:

I am trying to call a dead spouse whose name I want to use in a localization text.

The event, triggered by a targeted decision is as follows

Spoiler

narrative_event = {    
    id = ETM.1000
    desc = ETM1000desc
    picture = remembering
    title = et_bitter_memories

is_triggered_only = yes        

immediate = {
            FROM = {
                save_event_target_as = et_remeniscer

}
            event_target:et_remeniscer = {
                                    any_spouse_even_if_dead = {
                                                            is_alive = no
                                    }
                                    save_event_target_as = et_dead_spouse

}    
    }

option = {
            name = ETM1000_opt

}    

}

The event target et_dead_spouse gets created but points to the remeniscer (FROM) character.

I thought my code would look for a dead spouse of et_remeniscer and then save him as the dead spouse. Where do I go wrong?

30 minutes ago, joemann said:

Thanks, I fixed it and it now works.

I have another question:

I am trying to call a dead spouse whose name I want to use in a localization text.

The event, triggered by a targeted decision is as follows

Hide contents

narrative_event = {    
    id = ETM.1000
    desc = ETM1000desc
    picture = remembering
    title = et_bitter_memories

is_triggered_only = yes        

immediate = {
            FROM = {

}
                                                            is_alive = no
                                    }

}    
    }

option = {
            name = ETM1000_opt

}    

}

The event target et_dead_spouse gets created but points to the remeniscer (FROM) character.

I thought my code would look for a dead spouse of et_remeniscer and then save him as the dead spouse. Where do I go wrong?

It is because you are saving remeniscer as a new event target, under their scope, not the dead spouse under theirs. Correct code would be:

immediate = {
	FROM = {
	}
			limit = {
				is_alive = no
			}
		}      
	}    
}

As you can see there's also a "limit" block, which is necessary for filtering when you scope under "immediate" or "option" blocks as they expect commands, not conditions. In trigger blocks, like "potential", "trigger", or others, "limit" is not needed as they already expect conditions inside them.

Additionally there's no need to scope to event_target:et_remeniscer as you already scoped to them (as FROM)

immediate = {
	FROM = {
		limit = {
				is_alive = no
			}
		}      
	}    
}

Thank's a lot. That worked really well. I have another question: Is it possible to see for what reason a character has been imprisoned? The only thing I have found are opinion_modifiers

but this is kind of indirect. I am looking for a flag which I can reference for localization purposes.

Spoiler

character_event = {
id = ETM.1101
    hide_window = yes
    is_triggered_only = yes ## on_startup
    only_women = yes
    min_age = 16

trigger = {
        OR = {
            is_married = any_spouse_even_if_dead
            is_consort = yes
            has_lover = yes

}

}
    immediate = {
                set_variable = { which = coupled value = 0 }

}                        

}

I have a problem with the trigger is _married. It seems it doesn't recognize dead spouses.

I tried: < is_married = yes>, < is_married = any_spouse_even_if_dead> and also <is_married = event_target:dead_spouse> ( I had already successfully created the event_target)

Is there another way to set this trigger?

2 hours ago, joemann said:
  Hide contents

character_event = {
id = ETM.1101
    hide_window = yes
    is_triggered_only = yes ## on_startup
    only_women = yes
    min_age = 16

trigger = {
        OR = {
            is_married = any_spouse_even_if_dead
            is_consort = yes
            has_lover = yes

}

}
    immediate = {
                set_variable = { which = coupled value = 0 }

}                        

}

I have a problem with the trigger is _married. It seems it doesn't recognize dead spouses.

I tried: < is_married = yes>, < is_married = any_spouse_even_if_dead> and also <is_married = event_target:dead_spouse> ( I had already successfully created the event_target)

Is there another way to set this trigger?

After extensive testing, I found that the scope any_spouse_even_if_dead doesn't work. Or, at least, it won't allow any commands on the dead spouses.

So there's an issue I have never had before, and it's a little after I played again with the majority of the LL mods updated. Bloodlines are completely borked. They'll be active on your character, the sound goes off and you clearly have them. But the frame you click a character that has a bloodline connected to them, bam. Pegged in the ass, game crashed immediately. I do not have anything except for a UI Steam mod and the majority of the LL mods that are only compatible with the two core mods that add all the fantasy races. The old versions of these mods never gave me issue, but for some reason just having a bloodline is asking for trouble.

Edit: Scratch that, Steam had a huge aneurysm and never updated my game to .3 update. I have no idea how that happened, but I've updated it, and now the game no longer sends me to the shadow realm.

7 hours ago, A_guy_with_the_plan said:

ok may sound stupid but anyone know how to add temple city to building requirement i know you have castle town (ct) but whats temple town(tt)?

prerequisites = { tt_marketplace_1 } or prerequisites = { tc_marketplace_1 }

Open up vanilla's 00_buildings.txt file and scroll on down to temple = {

You'll eventually find the code to the building you're looking for.

FYI, it's tp_town_1

tp_elite_barracks_6 = {
        desc = tp_elite_barracks_1_desc
        trigger = { TECH_CITY_CONSTRUCTION = 8 }
        upgrades_from = tp_elite_barracks_5
        gold_cost = 500
        build_time = 2190
        heavy_infantry = 95
        ai_creation_factor = 90

extra_tech_building_start = 0.2
    }
    how will i know that i should add start caps and end caps for building, scrip , and events { } i noticed mods code have a bunch of these at different tab like

{

{

}

}

or is there a modding guide out and about