CK2 Modding Quick Question Thread

24 minutes ago, MagnaSonic3000 said:

Does anyone know what mod has the research family history decision? I used to have it, but it's just gone now, and I don't even know what mod it came from. I don't think it was a vanilla feature, and I never really had a Steam mod that had it (to my knowledge anyway).

Dark World Extras (outdated) and it's continuation, Luxuria Fantasia Extras

I am using on_action events to give characters variables on startup. I noticed by checking with the charinfo console command that most in-game characters do not get them on startup. I suppose only playable characters get them, is that the case?) Only by adding the same event in the on yearly pulse action do the other characters (non playable?) get the variables I want to give them. Why is this?

3 hours ago, joemann said:

I am using on_action events to give characters variables on startup. I noticed by checking with the charinfo console command that most in-game characters do not get them on startup. I suppose only playable characters get them, is that the case?) Only by adding the same event in the on yearly pulse action do the other characters (non playable?) get the variables I want to give them. Why is this?

The Family Generation game rule supercedes your on_startup event.

Instead of making it an on_yearly_pulse, you can do the on_startup as normal, but link it to a second event that fires a day later.

immediate = {
	character_event = { id = whatwhatinthebuttbutt.2 days = 1 }
}

This second event will do what you want it to do.

On 6/6/2020 at 7:37 AM, Saph01 said:

I don't know if this is the right place to put this but I cannot seem to get the mods I downloaded from loverslab to actually work, They have been downloaded, extracted, put in the right folder, when I open the launcher I can enable them, which I do. However they do not actually add anything at all to the game, and there is no sign that they even exist. 

This is my first time downloading mods outside of steam so it is probably me fucking up somewhere but is anyone willing to help?

I'm experiencing the same exact problem as Saph here. I'm using a Mac and /Documents/Paradox Interactive/Crusader Kings II/mod is the location I'm extracting the files to. 

In this location all the mods appear in the Mod tab but not a single thing happens once I start the game and no options appear in the rules menu. If the problem is what I'm using to extract the files then I'm screwed because 7zip doesn't support Mac systems. 

332005469_ScreenShot2020-07-28at1_41_59AM.png.bc1d3e8fe8e7c397445db47c3d8a560c.png550008095_ScreenShot2020-07-28at1_40_29AM.png.433f2b13db1cdd2f2c14a6cb0a5b9294.png

3 hours ago, KeeperOfSecrets said:

I'm experiencing the same exact problem as Saph here. I'm using a Mac and /Documents/Paradox Interactive/Crusader Kings II/mod is the location I'm extracting the files to. 

In this location all the mods appear in the Mod tab but not a single thing happens once I start the game and no options appear in the rules menu. If the problem is what I'm using to extract the files then I'm screwed because 7zip doesn't support Mac systems. 

332005469_ScreenShot2020-07-28at1_41_59AM.png.bc1d3e8fe8e7c397445db47c3d8a560c.png550008095_ScreenShot2020-07-28at1_40_29AM.png.433f2b13db1cdd2f2c14a6cb0a5b9294.png

I do not know anything about mac but that pic shows you only having half of what you need to make mods work in CK2. Each zip file you download has a folder and a .mod file with the same name. The .mod file is just to tell CK2 you want to select this mod in the launcher. The folder, the ones your pic does not show any of, is the actual mod content.

Also, that cheri_static_portraits_male.gfx is not supposed to be loose like that. It should be inside the Cheri Portraits folder that came with the zip. 

nstead of making it an on_yearly_pulse, you can do the on_startup as normal, but link it to a second event that fires a day later.

immediate = {
	character_event = { id = whatwhatinthebuttbutt.2 days = 1 }
}

This second event will do what you want it to do.

Thanks for the answer. Learned something again. Does it need to be a second event or can I just add days = 1 to the first event. The one that is triggered by the on_action?

8 hours ago, Alaratt said:

I do not know anything about mac but that pic shows you only having half of what you need to make mods work in CK2. Each zip file you download has a folder and a .mod file with the same name. The .mod file is just to tell CK2 you want to select this mod in the launcher. The folder, the ones your pic does not show any of, is the actual mod content.

Also, that cheri_static_portraits_male.gfx is not supposed to be loose like that. It should be inside the Cheri Portraits folder that came with the zip. 

I tried adding the folders before but nothing changed at all. I'm just trying to figure out how to make a mod work because everyone seems to know except me. I follow all the installation details but there still isn't a sign of any modification at all. 1284347841_ScreenShot2020-07-28at1_23_45PM.png.30e04d9c8790ac3645c853ba57cdbdc7.png

I'm trying to capture the birthplace of a character (which I want to use in a localisation string, using the following on_birth event. I know that I am mixing character and province scopes but am not able to figure out how to do it. Can someone help me along?

Spoiler

character_event = {
id = ETM.1110
is_triggered_only = yes # triggered via on_action ( on_birth) ROOT = the baby
    hide_window = yes # hidden from the player
    only_women = yes
    immediate = {
            mother = {                # this should scope to the location of the mother of the character upon her (the characters birth, provided it has a castle or a city
                location = {
                        if = {
                            limit = {
                                OR = {
                                    has_castle = yes
                                    has_city = yes
                                }
                            }        

save_persistent_event_target_as = {
                                                        name = BirthPlace
                                                        scope = ROOT
                        }
                    }    
                }
            }
    }
}

I want to reference it in localisation as [BirthPlace.GetName}

Try changing the name of the folders to be exactly the same as the .mod file. 

ACM.mod is going to access a ACM folder, not an ACM_V4 folder

1537506083_Annotation2020-07-28192843.png.55ad1ee038eb1db8a21b99c4f47a12a5.png

Inside the ACM folder should be these folders

586275870_Annotation2020-07-28193113.png.fdc5ae03f7e38571d5a7a4500257956e.png

The version numbers are only shown on the zip files. You do not need the zip file after the contents have been extracted from them.

I just googled 7zip for MAC, the results said the best program to use was iZip

6 hours ago, Alaratt said:

Try changing the name of the folders to be exactly the same as the .mod file. 

ACM.mod is going to access a ACM folder, not an ACM_V4 folder

1537506083_Annotation2020-07-28192843.png.55ad1ee038eb1db8a21b99c4f47a12a5.png

Inside the ACM folder should be these folders

586275870_Annotation2020-07-28193113.png.fdc5ae03f7e38571d5a7a4500257956e.png

The version numbers are only shown on the zip files. You do not need the zip file after the contents have been extracted from them.

I just googled 7zip for MAC, the results said the best program to use was iZip

Okay so the effect of changing the names to allow the files to be accessed has changed from nothing to crashing the game when it tries to load graphics. I've had this happen before when I tried to load Elder Kings from Steam and my suspicion is that these mods aren't compatible with my system somehow. 

It's also possible that standard Mac anti-virus programs have targeted something from these mods and automatically shut down the program whenever I try to run it. That's something I've dealt with before. I usually have to go through an Olympic obstacle course compared to Windows users after the latest software update. 

modified the event as follows:

Spoiler

character_event = {
id = ETM.1110
    only_women = yes
    immediate = {
            location = {
                    any_province = {
                                save_persistent_event_target = {
                                                                name = BirthPlace
                                                                scope = THIS       #should fix location but doesn't
                                }
                    }            

}

}
}   

Validator is happy but I can't find the scope. The idea is that the location "sticks" to the character (the baby) throughout its life. But I can't find the correct scope. Also tried ROOT, FROM and PREV doesn't work. Anybody?

1 hour ago, KeeperOfSecrets said:

Okay so the effect of changing the names to allow the files to be accessed has changed from nothing to crashing the game when it tries to load graphics. I've had this happen before when I tried to load Elder Kings from Steam and my suspicion is that these mods aren't compatible with my system somehow. 

It's also possible that standard Mac anti-virus programs have targeted something from these mods and automatically shut down the program whenever I try to run it. That's something I've dealt with before. I usually have to go through an Olympic obstacle course compared to Windows users after the latest software update. 

The fact that you had to change the folder names back in the first place says something weird happened when you extracted them. That or you manually changed the names after extraction and before posting the pics. That's kind of what I was hoping you did and changing them back fixes them, but I guess not. My best advice is to get the zip files again and try and use iZip on them, maybe that will work right and you won't have to jump through a bunch of hoops. And remember the mod folder should only have two types of files in it. A folder and a .mod file. Any loose .gfx or anything like that is probably going to crash the game during loading, since it isn't in the right folder format. That last part is only a guess though, I have certainly never tried it. Good luck.

Almost there still need some help though:

Spoiler

character_event = {
id = ETM.1110
    only_women = yes
    immediate = {
            location = {
                                                name = BirthPlace
                                                scope = ROOT       # fixes birthplace to location not to baby
                    }                                                                                            
            }                        
    }
}   

simplified it even more. It works but connects BirthPlace to the province. I would like it to stick to the character.

Solved it. Had to turn it upside down, i.e, turn it into a province_event

Spoiler

province_event = {
id = ETM.1110

immediate = {
            location = {
                    ROOT = {
                                                name = BirthPlace
                                                scope = PREV
                     }
                    }    
            }

}
}

On 7/29/2020 at 3:53 AM, Alaratt said:

The fact that you had to change the folder names back in the first place says something weird happened when you extracted them. That or you manually changed the names after extraction and before posting the pics. That's kind of what I was hoping you did and changing them back fixes them, but I guess not. My best advice is to get the zip files again and try and use iZip on them, maybe that will work right and you won't have to jump through a bunch of hoops. And remember the mod folder should only have two types of files in it. A folder and a .mod file. Any loose .gfx or anything like that is probably going to crash the game during loading, since it isn't in the right folder format. That last part is only a guess though, I have certainly never tried it. Good luck.

Turns out that it was an issue with Steam that was coincidently patched in an update just yesterday so now it works. However, I wouldn't have gotten that far without your advice so thank you very much. I celebrated by doing some very diabolical things with your cheat mod. Now that I've had a test run on what the general experience is like I'm going to collect a few more mods and start a game from scratch that I'll be playing for a long while. 

I am creating persistent event targets to be able to use them in localization. For example, if a prisoner is captured during a siege I can reference the name of the siege in an event description eg " I was captured during the siege of Paris" This works with the following on_action triggered event:

Spoiler

#Give war prisoners a named location where they became prisoner    
province_event = {
id = ETM.1115
is_triggered_only = yes # triggered via on_action ( on_siege_over_local_char) ROOT is the local character FROM is the holding title

immediate = {

location = {
                    county = {
                        ROOT = {                    
                                                name = HoldingName
                                                scope = FROM
                                    }
                        }    
                    }        
            }    
    }
}   

In the same way I would like to be able to reference the name of the war during which the prisoner was captured. " I was captured during the siege of Paris in King Henri's war for France" However, here I am running into trouble.

The name of a war seems to be linked to the casus belli, so I suppose I should scope to the cb. But how do you do that? I tried adding the following to the above event:

Spoiler

#Give war prisoners a named location where they became prisoner    
province_event = {
id = ETM.1115
is_triggered_only = yes # triggered via on_action ( on_siege_over_local_char) ROOT is the local character FROM is the holding title

immediate = {

location = {
                    county = {
                        ROOT = {                    
                                                name = HoldingName
                                                scope = FROM
                                    }
                        }    
                    }        
            }
            FROM = {
                any_war = {
                        ROOT = {                    
                                                        name = WarName
                                                        scope = PREV      # can't find a scope
                            }
                        }
                }                    
            }
    }
}   

but it doesn't work ( I get the holding name ). < cb_war_name> is what you need in the localization, but how do I get the cb nailed down?

Help would be much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I'm fairly new to modding and I'm trying to make static portraits to work using a custom ethnicity, but I don't seem to have set it up properly. I have managed to have the custom culture group and culture show up in-game, but it's using default settings regarding appearence. I have read this (https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Portrait_modding) and tried to understand how to set it up right, but I just can't seem to do so.

I think the problem is that the file in common/cultures/ doesen't referance the file in interface/, but at this point I'm not completely sure.

7 hours ago, BananaPikachu said:

Hi guys, I'm fairly new to modding and I'm trying to make static portraits to work using a custom ethnicity, but I don't seem to have set it up properly. I have managed to have the custom culture group and culture show up in-game, but it's using default settings regarding appearence. I have read this (https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Portrait_modding) and tried to understand how to set it up right, but I just can't seem to do so.

I think the problem is that the file in common/cultures/ doesen't referance the file in interface/, but at this point I'm not completely sure.

I'm not very familiar with portrait modding in specific, but my first suggestion is checking whether the characters of the custom culture actually have the right ethnicity (i.e. graphical culture) using the console. Then you might want to post your code, so we can take a closer look.

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Doug-E-Fresh said:

Can someone explain how I may be able to make a religion/doctrine to restrict marriage to only family/dynasty members, like an extreme divine marriage.   

All I can think of is having an on_marriage event that checks if any of the spouses belongs to that religion, and if they do, break up the marriage unless they're relatives. It's not the most elegant solution, but you can couch the divorce in a lore-friendly event.

On 8/29/2020 at 3:05 AM, Doug-E-Fresh said:

how I may be able to make a religion/doctrine to restrict marriage to only family/dynasty members

There is no command for that, but you can do it with workarounds.

Like making a decision for religion characters to marry family/dynasty member and add trait with cannot_marry=yes on birth and conversion to block ai
arranging or accepting non-divine marriages.