Devious Devices Framework Development/Beta

while going back to old way of animating the armbinder isn't possible, i think it'd be possible to have alternative animations for them, similar to the hobble that got 2 different ones.

if someone is willing to do those alternative animations, that is ^^,

Isn't that exactly what we got though? I seem to recall there being 3 or 4 different options you get when installing of animation sets for the armbinders.

true lol, i forgot since i always select the same one.

but maybe add even more, ones with a completely different feel.

while going back to old way of animating the armbinder isn't possible, i think it'd be possible to have alternative animations for them, similar to the hobble that got 2 different ones.

Isn't that exactly what we got though? I seem to recall there being 3 or 4 different options you get when installing of animation sets for the armbinders.

Mind you, we have only one animator on the DD team, and while we will happily add whatever Feuertin creates for us, I am pretty sure creating dozens of variations of the same animation isn't as fun as creating new ones. ;)

Looking forward to the next version. Been waiting since it was announced about half a year ago. One thing I noticed is the new expansion is way bigger. I fear that it may end up becoming too big, since there is a limit to how many mods can be installed in the standard version of Skyrim.

Looking forward to the next version. Been waiting since it was announced about half a year ago. One thing I noticed is the new expansion is way bigger. I fear that it may end up becoming too big, since there is a limit to how many mods can be installed in the standard version of Skyrim.

There is a limit of 254 mods you can have installed, but the file size itself doesn't matter -too- much. Don't worry, I can't see DDX becoming a 1GB whopper anytime soon.

Mind you, we have only one animator on the DD team, and while we will happily add whatever Feuertin creates for us, I am pretty sure creating dozens of variations of the same animation isn't as fun as creating new ones. ;)

yep i know, it would need another animator to help. hmm... maybe i should try to learn how to do that lol

ok i downloaded the last update of DDi, and i get an odd error with the ankle chain. when putting it on, i then can't sneak or draw any weapon. i can equip the weapons, i can jump and sprint.

even more odd, when i remove the chain with a key, the bug stay. can't sneak or draw my weapons at all. i had to use the free me option from DCL to get it all back working.

i suspect it has to do with the new armbinder system.

i tried some other leg cuffs, but it worked fine with it.

i can provide a log if you feel it's needed.

Are there any additional prereqs for these development builds? I've done a complete reinstall, got a minimal release version of DD working with its own prereqs, with cursed loot and expansion on top, this loads up fine. Yet the moment I add the development DDi to my install I get a crash to desktop just after the bethesda logo. I've tried various load orders to see if I'm not going mad, but it's definitely the dev DDi, I switch back to the release version and it works immediately.

EDIT: Ah, I've been informed that I might need the DLCs to make the latest dev versions work. Can I get confirmation that this is the case (Would rather not spend money on something that might not fix things)

I don't think we consciously added the DLCs as hard reqs. The easiest way to find out of you are lacking required mods is getting TES5Edit and just letting it try to load your entire load order.

No, these settings influence only the legacy armbinders. I am probably going to clean up MCM soon and remove these. Old devices will still work, but we do encourage content modders to switch to the new system, or at least not create any new devices using the old code.

The new escape system has a lockpicking bonus, but I didn't want to give high level characters an instant "get out of jail free!" card, so a high lockpicking skill doesn't automatically get you out of every restraint in the very first attempt. The highest lockpicking skill gives you five percentage points bonus on the default base escape chance (which translates to a 50% bonus). You will -still- usually need multiple attempts to get free, and that's how it's intended.

Amputation stuff is gross. If I'd add such features, I'd have to test them and they would make me faint! Better not! It's honestly also not too realistic - I removed this feature for a reason. Destruction magic does what it says. Shooting fire and lighting at a device that happens to be locked to your body is a fairly stupid idea, don't you think? :D

Missed your answer, regarding realism: i guess a true master of destruction could not only throw big fireballs, but also limit his force to heat, let's say, a single finger or shoot a very fine line similar to a laser or a control a needle of ice which might work to get you free. For less skilled mages... well, i can undestand that you don't like it. For me mods are rather something to add/change gameplay than enjoying my fetishes, so i'm often pretty much fine with everything. It doesn't exclude each other in every case, but i would never ever again enter any draugr cave with my mods installed. Probably i'd only teleport between captured dreams and my player home when i think about it. ;)

That i often still try to actually play the game is the reason cursed loot changed me from somebody who can't leave a cave without exploring and looting totally uneccesary stuff from the last urn in the last dark corner to somebody who doesn't loot anything else than the marked quest object... possibly the boss if i feel very adventurous. I'm still not sure if i like that change, though. ;)

I don't think we consciously added the DLCs as hard reqs. The easiest way to find out of you are lacking required mods is getting TES5Edit and just letting it try to load your entire load order.

Can confirm that all the dlcs are listed as masters for the latest dev versions of both DDi and DDx.

I can also confirm that you need the DLCs for the dev versions. I can't fathom why, but I'm not the one working with the code!

Also, Mantafirefly told me he is also having trouble with the HDT physics for the items. I'm trying to help him with the problem, since I'm not experiencing them myself.

He's basically working with a fresh and clean installation of regular Skyrim, so we're wondering what's up.

Edit:
We've narrowed down our issue being related to the breast and hip nodes.

Still investigating. If anyone's got some tips, it would be much appreciated!

Basically getting this unsightly stuff where the breast and hip nodes seem to remain stationary when performing animations, leading to some horrifying inside-out-boob problems. I remember seeing this before, and I can't for the life of me remember how I fixed it.

Could be that your skeleton mod needs to be lower in the load order.

Basically getting this unsightly stuff where the breast and hip nodes seem to remain stationary when performing animations, leading to some horrifying inside-out-boob problems. I remember seeing this before, and I can't for the life of me remember how I fixed it.

Could be that your skeleton mod needs to be lower in the load order.

Skeletons aren't part of load orders. They're just files in your meshes directory.

Either way, fixed it, I didn't have all of the right bits from the XP32 skeleton loaded in, fixed using the highly scientific method of "keep trying ones until it worked"

So why is there no introduction telling what this is and does on the main post? I'm familiar with what the other "Devious Device" mods do, but what is the nature of this one? How does it differ from the other DD mods? Is it similar to "SexLab Frameworks" in any way? So far all I read was guidelines, don't post support related stuff on previous DD mods, installation, and the mention of those working on it. A proper introduction is important and a natural result for those reading would be a loss of interest.

So why is there no introduction telling what this is and does on the main post? I'm familiar with what the other "Devious Device" mods do, but what is the nature of this one? How does it differ from the other DD mods? Is it similar to "SexLab Frameworks" in any way? So far all I read was guidelines, don't post support related stuff on previous DD mods, installation, and the mention of those working on it. A proper introduction is important and a natural result for those reading would be a loss of interest.

This thread is about the development versions of DDa/DDi/DDx mods.

Okay, thanks. It is very unclear the way it is written early in the post. As if those mods are excluded in any way.

Okay, thanks. It is very unclear the way it is written early in the post. As if those mods are excluded in any way.

i find this pretty clear... i guess not for everyone seeing your reaction ^^

This thread is about the DEVELOPMENT build of the Devious Devices Framework ONLY. Please do NOT post bugs or other feedback about the current RELEASE version here. They go in their respective support threads and nowhere else! If you are looking for the release versions, that's where they are:

i find this pretty clear... i guess not for everyone seeing your reaction ^^

This thread is about the DEVELOPMENT build of the Devious Devices Framework ONLY. Please do NOT post bugs or other feedback about the current RELEASE version here. They go in their respective support threads and nowhere else! If you are looking for the release versions, that's where they are:

lol Must have not been paying very much attention. this ("If you are looking for the release versions, that's where they are") is the part that helps clear it up for me. But I still think a better intro could have been done.

Hi,

was curious about upcoming features so i gave things here a try, and it's beautiful, i'm hyped now.

I don't know if these points have been reported already but : 

-straitjacket is considered both dress+armbinder but has no armbinder dialogue to get out of it

-arms stay in "stuck to the back" position after removing the high security armbinder

-with straitjacket and straitjacket dress, if "device under" doesn't hide arm cuffs, they appear in normal arm position (respectively armbinder and extreme dress position)

-something tells me i can't remove my rubber boots (dcl item) while my hands are bound, BUT i emptied my whole inventory before to make sure. When using console to check, i had the boots equipped + another invisible unidentified item that i couldn't unequip (XX010f0f paired with XX010f0c ID i think? i should have written that somewhere). I supose it's those that prevented me (i could put on/remove other items fine), and this is a ddi/dda item, not dcl.

Also the new unlocking system is a bit confusing with the sub-menus imo, especialy with each option that has its own (randomized? or depends on device difficulty?) cooldown.

Current is :

-unlock

-struggle : 

-cut

-struggle

-pick

-examine

-keep it on

-other device action (wank for belt for example)

I know "unlock" is a bit special since it's the key/normal way to get out of things, but for clarity/ergonomy i think this layout would be better?

-escape : 

-unlock

-cut

-struggle

-pick

-examine

-keep it on

-other

or even do without the submenu, since selecting it just expands it anyway :

-unlock

-cut

-struggle

-pick

-examine

-keep it on

-other

Nice work altogether, thanks and keep it up!

I'm sorry we can't give you a real answer.

To elaborate on what Kimy said: we won't even know the ETA ourselves until it's actually finished n_n

We're in the middle of an extensive rework, most of which is behind the scenes stuff that will matter more to modders than players, but it's very important that we get it right. As of right now some things are broken (as expected) and work on others was put on hold as our priorities changed. Those are still on the to-do list and we'll be coming back to them before release.

But at this point in time the only thing we can say is that the current build is not even close to release candidate. We'll continue development and testing for as long as is required, and if it needs to be delayed due to last-minute issues, we won't hesitate to extend development.

In the past, we've put out less than perfect releases. The reason our last big release was followed up by so many hotfixes was because our testing process was flawed and the excitement of adding so much new stuff made us impatient.

While other modders can maybe get away with it, that was a shamefur dispray for us and we're determined not to let it happen again. We are developing a framework, which many, if not the majority, of mods on this site depend on. We are not allowed to rush releases, skimp on testing or make any decisions without considering the wider implications.

Oh no I'm in ramble mode! That was supposed to be a short explanation... oops. Um... Okay, here's the short version:

We have a responsibility to more than just ourselves. As a framework, we are relied on to provide the best possible foundation to build upon. And that means we cannot release anything short of perfect.

Is there an ETA on the non-beta release of these mods?

No. We never commit to any ETAs. It's done when it's done!

I'm sorry we can't give you a real answer.

To elaborate on what Kimy said: we won't even know the ETA ourselves until it's actually finished n_n

We're in the middle of an extensive rework, most of which is behind the scenes stuff that will matter more to modders than players, but it's very important that we get it right. As of right now some things are broken (as expected) and work on others was put on hold as our priorities changed. Those are still on the to-do list and we'll be coming back to them before release.

But at this point in time the only thing we can say is that the current build is not even close to release candidate. We'll continue development and testing for as long as is required, and if it needs to be delayed due to last-minute issues, we won't hesitate to extend development.

In the past, we've put out less than perfect releases. The reason our last big release was followed up by so many hotfixes was because our testing process was flawed and the excitement of adding so much new stuff made us impatient.

While other modders can maybe get away with it, that was a shamefur dispray for us and we're determined not to let it happen again. We are developing a framework, which many, if not the majority, of mods on this site depend on. We are not allowed to rush releases, skimp on testing or make any decisions without considering the wider implications.

Oh no I'm in ramble mode! That was supposed to be a short explanation... oops. Um... Okay, here's the short version:

We have a responsibility to more than just ourselves. As a framework, we are relied on to provide the best possible foundation to build upon. And that means we cannot release anything short of perfect.

That's a completely fair answer. Thanks for your(s) hard work for my guilty pleasure  :P  and good luck on development!

There is something i'm not sure if i get it right:

You removed the options from the MCM because every mod using the framework is supposed to offer those by itself, is that correct?

What happens if i have two different mods with 2 different settings? Will they overwrite each other and only settings from one will work or should they work parallel?

Is that something we could test? Would require two mods using the dev version and it's possibilities... i don't know how much work it is to add that stuff. Deviously captured is small, might be a good option for a test version, Cursed Loot might be an overkill for that. I think it might be a good idea to test that, too.

Or is that already planned but you want to fix stuff first, or is that considered fail safe and doesn't need testing?

And finally, i hope i won't make myself too unpopular here with "that topic again":

If it's supposed to work with several mods with several settings anyways, i would really appretiate if the MCM options weren't entirely removed from DDi but considered "default". Means, every mod that alters those settings has a higher priotity, but me as a user can change stuff for mods which don't change settings and don't offer it. The point is that some mods are abandoned or still supported, but offer only raw support for DD. I'm afraid some of those mods would rather remove the support than adding an entire page for settings. And for non-quest items, your default values are sometimes too harsh for my taste. It depends on my mood if i rather want to play DD or Skyrim. ;)