Tannin42 - the new head developer of NMM

prinyo

St. CPU. I like it. XD

I don't understand the animosity. You might not trust Dark, but don't you trust Tannin? The guy was able to leave a job he didn't really care for in order to get paid to do what he really likes to do. Isn't that everyone's dream?

Tannin has his crabby days too; that's the nature of the beast, oft times.

My issue is not with the functionality of the new NMM, my issue is with Dark0ne pretty much owning the only universal injector on the market aside from MExplorer, because he has shown repeatedly he is not above chunking _____ under the bus when it suits him. He is not objective and he is certainly not unbiased, and his operating staff below the new hires are ten times worse on their best days.

Loverslab really has a strong animosity towards anything nexus related and somehow i think it sorta clouds their judgement. This only looks like a plus since there won't be two different alternatives to a mod managing tool. If tannin can rework the NMM to be like MO but even better, then i'm all for it. Having two mod managing tools sorta divides support and help.

Eitherway, I'll be using MO still but will be keeping a close watch on any progress.

If the poeple on nexus didn't act like assholes and were helpful, I wouldn't hate them. Then again, they do act like assholes.

So, because I'm also posting on the Nexus, I'm an a**hole ? Thanks ;).

(no offense taken personnaly)

Fucking sell out is all I have to say. But I don't care because SKyrim is the last Beth game I play so I have no worries about it. I'll never use NMM ever

Ezz mate, a guy who did mods for free got a chance to get hired and earn money.

Get called sellout lol

Sure you will show them by not using NMM how angry you are. If I got a offer like this I would sure accept it too.

Not necessarily so.It give the Nexus control over what will be the only real mod organizer there is.

I think Taninin should have come to the community and offered MO first and asked if anyone would take it, disclosed his plans before he took the job and  and then moved on.

Asking if anyone in particular would take it would probably be against the terms of the licenses MO is released under, which state that anyone whatsoever can take it. NMM uses similar licenses. Both existing programs will continue to exist, they just won't be developed any longer by the people doing it now. Others who want to, are allowed.

I doubt that.He would be asking if anyone was interested, not offering it to anyone in particular.

So I disagree with you on that.

As it is I don't intend to change to this new Nexus hybrid. It would  be too much trouble.

Someone on the modding reddit called Tannin a a sellout as well.I think those words are too harsh.

He has a right to earn a living.

I think the Nexus/the dark one who own it has made some people angry over the years.

I suspect more due to how his moderators have banned people sometimes for what some people feel are minor offenses.

The recent circumstance where some assets from one mod were used in another without consent .Then the mod makers of that mod that used the unapproved assets changed it so those allegedly used assets weren't apparent anymore.The original mod maker was upset and rightfully so.But nothing was to my knowledge  done to punish those who used the misappropriated assets from the other mod. 

if someone is interested I will go and find a link.I think it  was discussed at length on the modding redditt.

To some that indicates inconsistent behavior  by the Nexus. 

There are others going to work for the Nexus including the modding reddit moderator terrorfox. So we can hope some of those new people will keep an eye on things there and try to make sure nothing untoward that negatively affects the community happens there.

People were used to NMM before MO came along and were a bit reluctant to change. Plus i guess the advanced functionality of it made people a bit adamant to pick up and learn on the intricacies of it. I was like that, I was a bit adamant of change and using MO, until I pushed myself and dedicated just a full day of learning how to use MO, looking at tutorials etc, and I have to say it was worth it -- albeit a bit time consuming.

I came to the Skyrim modding scene fairly late (a bit more than two years ago). MO was already available then and the "Only NOOOOOBS use NMM!!!" statement was already getting tossed around here like candy by anyone who felt they needed to insult someone today. So I tried MO. Installed it and looked at what I'd have to do to make all my development tools run with it and had a "Wait? I have to read a novel's equivalent of tutorials and jump through ALL these hoops to get a program up and running, that has no other purpose than cleanly un/install mods?" moment. Then I looked at what it would offer me in return in functionality I actually needed (which wasn't much), and how clunky its interface was. I laughed, uninstalled MO, got NMM and never looked back.

I know that MO users find it super hard to understand why someone wouldn't like MO, so they look for all possible funny explanations why somebody would not use it when it's oh-so-much-better. The simple truth is that (counting Nexus users) the vast majority of all Skyrim users doesn't use MO and is perfectly happy without it, because they simply don't need its "advanced" features.

... I looked at what it would offer me in return in functionality I actually needed (which wasn't much), and how clunky its interface was. I laughed, uninstalled MO, got NMM and never looked back.

... The simple truth is that (counting Nexus users) the vast majority of all Skyrim users doesn't use MO and is perfectly happy without it, because they simply don't need its "advanced" features.

Understandable. If you don't need the features, you can stick with what you're familiar with.

Funny though, it has been the exact opposite for me. ^_^" After getting used to MO (took me 3-4 days) and it's feature set, whenever I have pondered trying NMM again, I just go "Naaah." and let it be. Given, I do not create complete Mods. At most I modify existing ones with the CK, FNIS for Modders, Wrye Bash and TES5Edit. And those perfectly work under MO. What I do use though is Profiles, each with it's own set of installed mods. And doing that in NMM is a nightmare last I tried. (Plus, I like it clean. And MOs VFS keeps my game install vanilla, just as I like it.)

So, as closing words:

Everybody has their own preference. Let's give Tannin a chance. He has the talent, after all.

(Personally, I don't expect much, as he, as an employee of Nexus now, has to cater to the Mainstream (NMM), not the niche market (MO), but maybe in 2-3 years, somebody else will have either picked up MO2 or developed a plugin for the "New" NMM to give it at least some of the features of MO. But this, as said, is really just my opinion. Which, of course, is heavily biased pro-MO.)

ahhh Welcome to the drama as usual :)

A thread like this may quite fast attract some drama.

But Moderators are on alert to remove ALL drama. (When it is real drama.)

... I looked at what it would offer me in return in functionality I actually needed (which wasn't much), and how clunky its interface was. I laughed, uninstalled MO, got NMM and never looked back.

... The simple truth is that (counting Nexus users) the vast majority of all Skyrim users doesn't use MO and is perfectly happy without it, because they simply don't need its "advanced" features.

Understandable. If you don't need the features, you can stick with what you're familiar with.

Funny though, it has been the exact opposite for me. ^_^" After getting used to MO (took me 3-4 days) and it's feature set, whenever I have pondered trying NMM again, I just go "Naaah." and let it be. Given, I do not create complete Mods. At most I modify existing ones with the CK, FNIS for Modders, Wrye Bash and TES5Edit. And those perfectly work under MO. What I do use though is Profiles, each with it's own set of installed mods. And doing that in NMM is a nightmare last I tried. (Plus, I like it clean. And MOs VFS keeps my game install vanilla, just as I like it.)

So, as closing words:

Everybody has their own preference. Let's give Tannin a chance. He has the talent, after all.

(Personally, I don't expect much, as he, as an employee of Nexus now, has to cater to the Mainstream (NMM), not the niche market (MO), but maybe in 2-3 years, somebody else will have either picked up MO2 or developed a plugin for the "New" NMM to give it at least some of the features of MO. But this, as said, is really just my opinion. Which, of course, is heavily biased pro-MO.)

I guess I'm just more optimistic. My understanding is that the new manager will have all of the functionality of MO, for those that want it, plus whatever new stuff they decide to add. I see no reason to believe that this won't be the case. He doesn't have to pander  to the "mainstream" because the new manager will be flexible enough to handle those who like plug-and-play managers like NMM and those who like dig-into-the-nuts-and-bolts managers like MO.

this is a win-win, as far as I can tell.

I guess I'm just more optimistic. My understanding is that the new manager will have all of the functionality of MO, for those that want it, plus whatever new stuff they decide to add. I see no reason to believe that this won't be the case. He doesn't have to pander  to the "mainstream" because the new manager will be flexible enough to handle those who like plug-and-play managers like NMM and those who like dig-into-the-nuts-and-bolts managers like MO.

I hope you're right. I fear you aren't. ^_^" Only time can tell.

Remember, though, that the NMM<>MO users ratio is at least 10:1, likely even higher. And over on the STEP fora, Tannin himself implied heavily that the base version of the new manager will not have advanced features, like a VFS. That is all supposed to be added later via plugins. Though of course nobody knows if Tannin and his crew are going to develop those plugins or if they will trust in the community to come up with those (like Bethesda trusts the modders to fix their games for them). There is simply too much corporate speak ("Trust us! We know what is good for you!"), worded in a vague way, for my liking. I mean, Tannin supossedly, if I understood it correctly, started working full-time for the Nexus early August. Now it is mid-octobre and they still don't even have a roadmap for their new manager? To me, that is suspicious.

Remember, and I cannot stress this enough, this is only my own, personal opinion. And nothing else. For all those who chose to believe in a glorious and great future for this, I can only wish all the best. May your optimism prove true in the end.

So, as closing words:

This is a win-win only for those who are like the corporate slave types. We don't need one true mod manager that does everything because it's not going to cover everything. And if it did it's not going to be suitable for everyone, which is specifically why MO and NMM were two different utilities.

MO's existence is not because it was to compete with NMM, it was an alternative solution for those who want a mod manager that manages VFS and keeping your data folder mod free from constant physical overwrites and having to deal with manually uninstalling files within folders and subfolders and carefully restoring older files that were overwritten before.

D0's point of view has always been MO being a competitive mod manager since it's existence. Why else do you think NMM went VFS? Was it necessary? I'm pretty sure a handful of people here will tell you no. Others will say yes. But like always, just pushing NMM to be the top mod manager of them all. If there was no competition from D0's point of view, he would of carried out to have NMM perish, still hire Tannin and make MO the primary mod manager for Nexus. But with MO out of the picture and Tannin on his team, that competition is gone. I think letting NMM go to pick MO for the nexus mod manager is more of a pride thing. He doesn't want to show weakness. But we all know that NMM was in beta for a long time and even with the VFS it had problems installing and uninstalling mods and NMM crashing. You don't see that happen with MO.

Dark0ne pushes Nexus to be more and more mainstream and pushes NMM more and more to be the one and only mod manager to rule them all.

Man, you guys are really cynical. Not that I blame you.

Yes, the base product will be without VFS, but they specifically stated that the modules will be build by them - they will not rely on the community to build the modules for them. If they aren't lying their asses off, the new manager WILL have everything MO had, for those that want it.

Yes, the base product will be without VFS, but they specifically stated that the modules will be build by them - they will not rely on the community to build the modules for them. If they aren't lying their asses off, the new manager WILL have everything MO had, for those that want it.

Yeah, I guess I am cynical. I know it irritates people, so please, accept my apology.

I simply read the information they gave diffferently than you, it seems. I couldn't find a 100%, straightforward confirmation that MOs advanced features will be integrated by themselves ( by doing the necessary plugins) and that it will cover everything MO had. (Cynism Mode engaged: And even if they would have said so, they never said when they would be doing it, right? 2 months after base release? A year? 5 years? *chuckles*)

Let's hope for the best.

Note (because I was PMed about this):

While I am highly doubtful this will become the modders paradise many seem to expect, I still have nothing against Tannin or his decision. In his shoes, I would have likely done the same. I wish him all the best on his new job and hope it will pan out to be anything he hoped for.

Yeah, I guess I am cynical. I know it irritates people, so please, accept my apology.

I simply read the information they gave diffferently than you, it seems. I couldn't find a 100%, straightforward confirmation that MOs advanced features will be integrated by themselves ( by doing the necessary plugins) and that it will cover everything MO had. (Cynism Mode engaged: And even if they would have said so, they never said when they would be doing it, right? 2 months after base release? A year? 5 years? *chuckles*)

Let's hope for the best.

Note (because I was PMed about this):

While I am highly doubtful this will become the modders paradise many seem to expect, I still have nothing against Tannin or his decision. In his shoes, I would have likely done the same. I wish him all the best on his new job and hope it will pan out to be anything he hoped for.

No need to apologize. Cynicism is a vital part of our culture. ;)

I base my optimism about what this will be from the thread on Nexus, specifically these lines:

to create from the ground up a single mod manager that will be as simple to use and understand as NMM, and as advanced and feature-filled as MO

What we’re aiming for with the new manager is the very best of both managers, in one manager. We don’t want to dumb down the advanced nature of MO, and at the same time we don’t want to swamp the more casual users of NMM who really just want a very simple modding tool.

And this stated end goal:

Most of all, we want one piece of software that lets casual modders transition into more advanced modders gradually and at their own pace, without having to switch mod managers and reinstall all their mods.

On the surface, sounds like something that would make everyone happy. But, again, I TOTALLY understand why people would roll their eyes and assume it won't work out how it should. And they might be right. So one more word from Tannin himself that hopefully will be a small reassurance:

I do hope however that you trust me...to understand what you liked about MO.

People were used to NMM before MO came along and were a bit reluctant to change. Plus i guess the advanced functionality of it made people a bit adamant to pick up and learn on the intricacies of it. I was like that, I was a bit adamant of change and using MO, until I pushed myself and dedicated just a full day of learning how to use MO, looking at tutorials etc, and I have to say it was worth it -- albeit a bit time consuming.

I came to the Skyrim modding scene fairly late (a bit more than two years ago). MO was already available then and the "Only NOOOOOBS use NMM!!!" statement was already getting tossed around here like candy by anyone who felt they needed to insult someone today. So I tried MO. Installed it and looked at what I'd have to do to make all my development tools run with it and had a "Wait? I have to read a novel's equivalent of tutorials and jump through ALL these hoops to get a program up and running, that has no other purpose than cleanly un/install mods?" moment. Then I looked at what it would offer me in return in functionality I actually needed (which wasn't much), and how clunky its interface was. I laughed, uninstalled MO, got NMM and never looked back.

I know that MO users find it super hard to understand why someone wouldn't like MO, so they look for all possible funny explanations why somebody would not use it when it's oh-so-much-better. The simple truth is that (counting Nexus users) the vast majority of all Skyrim users doesn't use MO and is perfectly happy without it, because they simply don't need its "advanced" features.

In the end, it's up to the user's preference. Calling out someone because they are more used to and comfortable to a certain mod managing software is just some pitiful fan boy crap that has to go away. If people like nmm and use it, power to them. Fanboyism ruins everything and somehow it's bleeding over to everything nowadays Lol.

I started by using NMM like most beginners and stopped using it after the second time it destroyed my Skyrim installation.

I just find it weird that people are calling MO a tool for advanced users because it's not that hard to use and much more powerful than NMM, a matter of perspective I guess.

Anyway, I'm really glad for Tannin but personally still a bit anxious that it'll end up in a NMM 2.0 with half the possibilities MO offered and possibly even mandatory login.

So well for now I'm gonna trust Tannin and hope for the best :)

Maybe when someone signs up at nexus (shudder) they are automatically enrolled in NMM? I hate NMM anyway it sucks and I never use it but I never use MO either. I'm always doing everything manually to be sure it is done at all or correctly. I don't want to jump around characters or whatever I just want everything working so I can play it through either skyrim or fallout4 and finish the character then drop the game for a while and do something else. I wouldn't trust NMM enough to install it anyway who knows what kind of data mining that jerk is doing from the site and then a software installed on your computer might as well just bend over and beg for lube at that point, like using facebook lol.

Profiles is the least importance of MO's feature.

Just because it's the least important feature for you doesn't make it the least important for everyone. Some people like myself make extensive use of the profile system to have different playthroughs with different characters using different mod setups.

I don't consider it to be of not any importance or least, but if in general I had to choose, I would say Mod Organizer is more appreciated for the VFS than anything else. In fact, I would believe it would be VFS, the Mod List on the left pane and then maybe profiles. The ability to keep your data folder completely clean from mod installation and then the ability to see and control your overwrites seems like it would be much more important than profiles.

Archived