Tannin42 - the new head developer of NMM

prinyo

So what is the best mod organiser to use now? NMM or still MO?

If you want something usable with Skyrim SE, I would say NMM. It is the only one supported.

But I hate - really hate - that it still pollutes my Skyrim SE Data directory with all my mods. I hope Tannin gets it straightened out.

Note: If there is a way to get NMM to use it's virtual file system to keep mods in their own profiles - please tell me where I went astray!

For Skyrim, Fallout NV, and Fallout 4 I will still use Mod Organizer until NMM gets a heck of a lot better.

So what is the best mod organiser to use now? NMM or still MO?

If you want something usable with Skyrim SE, I would say NMM. It is the only one supported.

But I hate - really hate - that it still pollutes my Skyrim SE Data directory with all my mods. I hope Tannin gets it straightened out.

Note: If there is a way to get NMM to use it's virtual file system to keep mods in their own profiles - please tell me where I went astray!

For Skyrim, Fallout NV, and Fallout 4 I will still use Mod Organizer until NMM gets a heck of a lot better.

Hopefully he will merge MO into NMM.

Wish him all the luck.

I will never be using it.

I will most likely end up using it. But only because there is no alternative anymore. After all apart from NMM what ones are there for Skyrim and Fallout 4?

How is WyreBash.. it is up to running 64bit games like Fallout 4 and Skyrim 64?

Yep, you can download versions of it from the SSE/Fo4 sections of the nexus.  It'll give you an error pop-up about string localization files, but you can still use it to move around and rearrange your ESPs and ESMs.  Haven't tried out any installers in it yet, though.

Never really liked it to be honest even when using it for switching esm to esps. And doesn't that store the mods inside the game folder?

If it works and you don't want to use NMM it is at least an option to explore. Like NMM it can be used for many other games as well.

Yep, you can download versions of it from the SSE/Fo4 sections of the nexus.  It'll give you an error pop-up about string localization files, but you can still use it to move around and rearrange your ESPs and ESMs.  Haven't tried out any installers in it yet, though.

Cool at least it is a start if someone don't want to use NMM.

So far it hasn't been too bad using it for Fallout 4.

Taking the best of MO and NMM and making one (better) mod manager is worthy of praise.

Well, if it really will be better for all user groups than both NMM (not hard) and MO (way harder), we will only know once it is released and feature complete. Until such a time, I will hold any praise and just wait it out. ;)

Only thing I am unhappy about is being stuck with a broken Mod Organizer for Skyrim SE and being forced to use NMM.

I just wish Skyrim SE Mod Organizer was at the Fallout 4 level of functionality.

Other than that I am happy waiting six months or so for an integrated manager.

Taking the best of MO and NMM and making one (better) mod manager is worthy of praise.

Well, if it really will be better for all user groups than both NMM (not hard) and MO (way harder), we will only know once it is released and feature complete. Until such a time, I will hold any praise and just wait it out. ;)

Yes.. we can be upset by the events that occured however that will serve no real purpose. It is best to wait to see what he creates with the new revamped NMM. Is it going to be good? Is it horrible? only time can tell.

I just don't see what could be done to be better than MO. MO wasn't hard to use, it showed the importance of load order, and let you adjust it on the fly (unlike NMM). If you like the "simplicity" of NMM, you just install the mods with MO exactly the same way.

So as far as the new version of NMM/MO thing that's coming together, I mean just throw away the old NMM code and rename MO, NMM.

No matter how good you think something is it can always be made better, and throwing away something that works just as well as it's counterpart is insane, considering the code for NMM is 10+years old, if that code was rewritten with the quality and standards of today it would be much more beneficial to us all.

I just don't see what could be done to be better than MO. MO wasn't hard to use, it showed the importance of load order, and let you adjust it on the fly (unlike NMM). If you like the "simplicity" of NMM, you just install the mods with MO exactly the same way.

So as far as the new version of NMM/MO thing that's coming together, I mean just throw away the old NMM code and rename MO, NMM.

Tested code that has been confirmed stable and solid is hard to come by. They aren't going to start completely from scratch. That would extend the development time greatly. However they will be very selective of what is used and what isn't. later if possible they might even update or get rid of other parts that they have taken from NMM with fresh new copies. The pressure is on to have a new update for NMM so they will have to take what they can from the old one to deliver on time then fix or update things later if needed or better yet when able.

DarkOne stated that he wanted a fresh NMM with new code and such and I am pretty sure the majority will be new. He is the one paying for it and seeing the results at least until they release it. Keep in mind this is all Open source so anyone with the understanding can get the source and see what was done and wasn't done.At least the old NMM (current one) is. I don't see any reason why this wouldn't continue.

The renaming of the MO to NMM isn't what is being paid for. Dark One wants NMM to be redesigned and be NMM like. Not MO renamed. So there are likely some major changes he wants done. If someone wants a MO to be updated to Skyrim SE or completed the development for Fallout 4 they can take up the process and do it anytime they desire. There are programmers here on this site as well as other sites that can do such a task just the matter of them deciding to do so. Then MO can be MO and NMM can be whatever NMM is destine to be.

No matter how good you think something is it can always be made better, and throwing away something that works just as well as it's counterpart is insane, considering the code for NMM is 10+years old, if that code was rewritten with the quality and standards of today it would be much more beneficial to us all.

That argument could be extends to tossing away MO. It isn't tossed away but it has been tossed aside. This is why so many people are upset. There was an awesome mod manager that was doing very well. So well in fact that Dark One hired the developer. ;) Now it is just as good as being tossed away and as you stated it is insane. It does have the newer coding standards and quality and was very beneficial to many users today as it is.

As far as rewriting the code of NMM to the quality and standards of today that would be beneficial but not that much to those fans of MO. Many that liked MO and some of their features will be greatly disappointed if Tannin don't provide some of those features as an option at least in the new NMM. Dark One stated that it was a goal to do so in some sort of fashion. Not sure how that will manifest but I am also looking forward to the core features to be available in the new NMM as well.

Tannin tossed it away, He's not working on it because part of the agreement was never to work on MO again. Tannin could of continued to work on MO on the side. I'm pretty sure somewhere along in there Dark0ne told him he's not allowed to. It's not like he's strapped down to work on NMM 24/7.

The one thing that still puzzles me is that Tannin started working fulltime for the Nexus in early august (if you go by the info we have been given by him and DarkOne in the announcement thread). They made the official announcement mid-octobre. That's about 8-10 weeks of fulltime work. And still, when they made the announcement, they couldn't even give a preliminary roadmap for the new tool. Hell, they hadn't even decided on a programming language to use yet.

So, what exactly was done in those ~320 - ~400 work hours (assuming 5 working days per week and 8 hours per work day) Tannin had been with the Nexus when they made the official announcement?

Tannin tossed it away, He's not working on it because part of the agreement was never to work on MO again. Tannin could of continued to work on MO on the side. I'm pretty sure somewhere along in there Dark0ne told him he's not allowed to. It's not like he's strapped down to work on NMM 24/7.

Tannin tossed nothing away, the program is still out there and with open source coding so that's debunked your initial argument, Your now suggesting that while Tannin works a full time job coding the new NMM/MO hybrid that he continue to work on MO as well and forgo his own personal time, would you do the same thing I wonder ?

Come on seriously, you expect one guy to work with code all day and then proceed to work with more code on his time off, that's rather selfish of you don't you think.

The one thing that still puzzles me is that Tannin started working fulltime for the Nexus in early august (if you go by the info we have been given by him and DarkOne in the announcement thread). They made the official announcement mid-octobre. That's about 8-10 weeks of fulltime work. And still, when they made the announcement, they couldn't even give a preliminary roadmap for the new tool. Hell, they hadn't even decided on a programming language to use yet.

So, what exactly was done in those ~320 - ~400 work hours (assuming 5 working days per week and 8 hours per work day) Tannin had been with the Nexus when they made the official announcement?

Let me guess? You are not a (professional) software developer?

My guess is that he has been busy reading NMM code, trying to figure out what it does (even if you're a godly programmer it takes time to understand what other coders did), assessing what can be reused and what needs replaced. Assuming they didn't give him carte blanche to do whatever he wants and just report when it's done, they probably also had meetings discussing features to implement, methods and processes to use. That's the sort of stuff you have to do -before- you start whacking away at the keyboard. And that can -easily- eat up a substantial amount of hours. Oh, and he very likely DID already write actual code too, but it's also very likely that he's got nothing to show yet. Because software development also takes time. Lots of.

citation needed.

Let me guess? You are not a (professional) software developer?

Good guess. How do you know? ;)

My guess is that he has been busy reading NMM code, trying to figure out what it does (even if you're a godly programmer it takes time to understand what other coders did), assessing what can be reused and what needs replaced. Assuming they didn't give him carte blanche to do whatever he wants and just report when it's done, they probably also had meetings discussing features to implement, methods and processes to use. That's the sort of stuff you have to do -before- you start whacking away at the keyboard. And that can -easily- eat up a substantial amount of hours. Oh, and he very likely DID already write actual code too, but it's also very likely that he's got nothing to show yet. Because software development also takes time. Lots of.

Maybe so, but read my post again... I did not ask why they did not release the program or at least a beta yet, I asked why they did not even have a rough time table/road map to share after 300+ hours. (You know, something like: "We currently aim to have a first basic beta version available in the first half of 2017." or something like that.)

I do not know how that is handled elsewhere, but in our I.T.-Department, the guys there usually make a plan first and then start to work on a project. Not just dive in and see where it goes. (As you make it sound. Maybe I misunderstand you.) Oh, and why should Tannin guess as to what parts of the old NMM code are actually doing? He has 2 veteran NMM programmers on his team who know the code already. There is no guesswork involved here as far as I understand it. He can just ask.

Anyways, as I do not want this to devolve into another debate of the kind we already have enough of (on Nexus, on certain Reddits/Subreddits and elsewhere), I'll just drop the topic at this point. Apologies, Kimy. And thank you for weighing in.

You guys can agree and disagree as much as you want it wont matter because in the long run this will benefit everyone. I used both NMM and MO and i like both but i prefer MO more because it helps controlling my mods better(One can say that MO was for advanced users).

I for one am happy that they are finally deciding to do this so i am really looking forward to the new mod manager.

So please guys lets not fight on this and simply wish our best to Tannin42 and the NMM team and hope they make a great mod manager together.

Yes.. we can be upset by the events that occured however that will serve no real purpose. It is best to wait to see what he creates with the new revamped NMM. Is it going to be good? Is it horrible? only time can tell.

I wish I could explain my argument much better like, you, Kimy and some others. Unfortunately, I can't. My English is limited. :(

My point is this: I don't know if new "hybrid" will be better then MO and NMM, if it wouldn't, I will not use it, but I wanted to say that I always give a credit to a person who tries to improve something and wants to make it better. Instead of criticize him, I chose to encourage him. If the "final product" will turn to a "shit" I will criticize his product, not him, especially when I know that I have no clues at all what is he doing because I'm not programmer or modder.  Everybody deserves the credit for his work. For instance: Some people here loves big boobies and they posting their pictures from their game. I don't like big boobies at all, but their pictures are good as hell, very HQ and masterly done. The same: I do not like some mods her, on LL and on Nexus, I might consider it as the garbage, but that's irrelevant. Some mods here are very easy for me to understand and easy to use, some, aren't, but that doesn't mean they are not good because I do not know how to use them or because I don't like them....

Mr. Tannin took very hard task. I don't give a shit for his reasons or motives. If his "baby" will serve well to all of us, then certainly he deserves my praise. And that's I wanted to say.

My apologies for being uncleared about this matter.

Archived