I'm trying to apply a specular map to the head of the panthers and it's driving me nutsy. Specifically, my specular map for the head gets ignored even though the one for the body gets applied just fine (and it looks cool). Is there something special about the head? Do I have to do the facegen thing? But this is for the PC.

@Pavaux, looks like you have a real bug there. I have interlock code to keep the mesh swapping from stepping on itself if the changes happen too fast--looks like it's gotten confused and thinks it's in the middle of mesh swapping all the time. Dunno why and dunno why it's only you (and a few others) seeing it. I'll hunt it down this weekend. Look for a fix on the hoodie schlongs mod.

I'm trying to apply a specular map to the head of the panthers and it's driving me nutsy. Specifically, my specular map for the head gets ignored even though the one for the body gets applied just fine (and it looks cool). Is there something special about the head? Do I have to do the facegen thing? But this is for the PC.

Do you have a different nif for the head? If so, make sure the texture properties include the path to the spec map.

Just a quick thought, but maybe one of the head texture sets assigned to Dark Elves is pointing to the Khajiit specular instead of the panther one or something like that?

Something similar happens with Nord females, where the default preset NPC has one of the old/wrinkled face sets so it stays on the player by default and you have to manually change the "Complexion" slider untill you find the original default/not wrinkled face set. Maybe the Dark Elf presets have a custom face texture assigned and that one is not pointing to the right specular?

EDIT: Yep, that was it. The Dark Elf face textures point either to the male body specular ("panthermale_s.dds") or to the Khajiit head specular. It should be easy to fix, just point all of the "SkinHead(Fe)MaleDarkElf(_whatever)" and the "SkinHead(Fe)MalePanther" ones to the right speculars.

Edited by Blaze69

@Pavaux, looks like you have a real bug there. I have interlock code to keep the mesh swapping from stepping on itself if the changes happen too fast--looks like it's gotten confused and thinks it's in the middle of mesh swapping all the time. Dunno why and dunno why it's only you (and a few others) seeing it. I'll hunt it down this weekend. Look for a fix on the hoodie schlongs mod.

Thanks for the help. :)

Pretty sure the lungaris ought to be working, but I'll check. Someone was saying they weren't using the right textures anyway. There are some actual Lungaris NPCs added by that mod, btw--a group right outside the back door of Bleak Falls Barrow, for a start.

Just checked, and they work fine for me, so it should be something on their end. I would need more information, though.

That thing about the textures is just a misunderstanding. Lungaris/Wood Elves are SUPPOSED to use Khajiit textures. They never had custom textures, not in the original mod, not in previous versions of this one. There is one "RabbitMale" folder, but IIRC it's just slightly modified khajiit textures, and there is no female version.

Yes but the thing is if you use any retexture mod for the Khajiit's the new textures will also show on Lungaris race.

One way to fix is is to give Lungaris race their own copy of Khajiit textures so that if someone retextures Khajiit's, Lungaris race will not be affected. Also this way if there is going to be any retexture mods for YAOS Lungaris and Khajiit's will be able to have their own unique textures.

Also it might be a good idea to use same approach for other races

If it is still confusing just use any mod that changes Khajiit textures and you should see that Rabbit race's textures gets also changed.

If you look at Compleat Khajiit mod it has a foot options fix for MONSTERaider's textures, it is fine but when i use:

YAOS + Compleat Khajiit with feet fix + MONSTERaider's textures, lungaris (rabbit) race textures gets also changed.

Hope it is less confusing..

Pretty sure the lungaris ought to be working, but I'll check. Someone was saying they weren't using the right textures anyway. There are some actual Lungaris NPCs added by that mod, btw--a group right outside the back door of Bleak Falls Barrow, for a start.

Just checked, and they work fine for me, so it should be something on their end. I would need more information, though.

That thing about the textures is just a misunderstanding. Lungaris/Wood Elves are SUPPOSED to use Khajiit textures. They never had custom textures, not in the original mod, not in previous versions of this one. There is one "RabbitMale" folder, but IIRC it's just slightly modified khajiit textures, and there is no female version.

Yes but the thing is if you use any retexture mod for the Khajiit's the new textures will also show on Lungaris race.

One way to fix is is to give Lungaris race their own copy of Khajiit textures so that if someone retextures Khajiit's, Lungaris race will not be affected. Also this way if there is going to be any retexture mods for YAOS Lungaris and Khajiit's will be able to have their own unique textures.

Also it might be a good idea to use same approach for other races

If it is still confusing just use any mod that changes Khajiit textures and you should see that Rabbit race's textures gets also changed.

If you look at Compleat Khajiit mod it has a foot options fix for MONSTERaider's textures, it is fine but when i use:

YAOS + Compleat Khajiit with feet fix + MONSTERaider's textures, lungaris (rabbit) race textures gets also changed.

Hope it is less confusing..

Oh, now I see what you mean.

Yo do have a point, I also think separating textures on a per-race basis even if the textures themselves are the same would be a good idea, though it would also increase file size. I've been intending to suggest it myself, but I just put that to me being a little too much OCD about file organization.

Well, BadDog has the last word on this, but I could provide a patch that does that and includes the current textures in the right paths in the meantime, and then it would only be a matter of merging those edits to the .esp alongside the relocated textures in the compressed file for the next version. I'll wait for his answer.

Yes, I think this is a good plan.

A horse race would be cool but OMG the work. Not only do you have to make the head work, it's almost guaranteed all the helmets will need a new variant.

Thanks for the face specular solution.

Great! I'll start working on it ASAP.

I intend to give each race (and by extension their original mod-added versions) their own set of textures (Diffuse/Normal/Specular) so that they can be edited independently of each other. IIRC Vaalsark and Lykaios have their own full sets, so thats some work already done. I will probably have to move panther textures around to give them the full set, so it may overlap with your work on their speculars, but it will just be a matter of overwriting my default/placeholder files with your new ones.

Okay, It's done!

All of the races now have their own full texture set, with diffuse, normal and specular. Wherever their original diffuse texture was, now they have the corresponding _msn and _s files alongside them. This means Vukasin/Breton have them in "Textures\Vukasin\(Fe)MaleVukasin Textures" (separate folders for male/female), and all of the others in their folders inside "textures\actors\character\":

Fennec/High Elves in "FoxMale/Foxfemale", Khajiit and Vaalsark in their original ones, Panthers/Dark Elves and Tigers/Redguards (both genders together each) in the corresponding "Panther" and "Tiger" folders, and Lungaris/Wood Elves in "RabbitFemale/RabbitMale". Khajiits use the "smooth" option from CompleatKhajiit, alongside Panthers, Rabbits and Tigers. Fennec get the "vanilla-like/fuzzy" style, and Vukasin, Lykaios and Vaalsark use the original Lykaios style (which is stays in between the other two by having slightly-smoothed-but-still-defined fur).

The compressed file was over LL's size limit (130MB with the limit at 100MB), so I had to upload it to Mega. I'm not sure if the next version will stay under the limit if/when this is merged into it, but there are ways around it, like splitting it into several (most probably 2 or 3) files <100MB each when compressing or just uploading the whole next version of the mod to Mega.

https://mega.nz/#!QgElBK7b!j2u0j8sAFe6uodjnSN5vj-YM6lSeDXtp8k_LG2a_DIA

Edited by Blaze69

Er, put *this* attached log in that place I said. 

BDSOSSchlongQuest.pex

Blade -- Looking at your texture patch it all seems fine except I'm wondering about the _sk files. You've pointed the body files at Actors\Character\male\maleBody_1_sk.dds

Now, I've never really understood these. When I was playing with dogs, if the _sk wasn't right it showed up in game. But as best I can tell, this path should return the _sk from vanilla Skyrim, which has the underwear shadow--yet I don't see the shadow in game. I changed it up to point to an _sk with the digitigrade feet mesh. But you're pointing it back at vanilla. Are you sure this isn't going to produce odd shading in game?

Edit: Nevermind, I see that you supplied a new all-black _sk. Hmm. Not a rosy, healthy pink?

Also: Damn head specular map is not getting picked up STILL. Dunno how that even works, but I have a goofy panthermalehead_s with a scribble across the front and it's just not getting picked up, not by any of the presets.

What is getting picked up is some khajiit specular which looks fine, really. But it bugs me that I can't touch it.

Edit: Looks like Boo called it. I copied the khajiit head nif to make a panther head and put the link to the specular file in the nif. Once I did that it showed up in game. So what--the engine just ignores any other specular?

You have the spec defined in the nif which is used by default, but then it can be overridden by any texture sets you have associated with the armor addon entry IIRC. But if the texture set doesn't include an override for the specular and one wasn't attached to the nif, it won't show. At least, that's how I think it works

Edit: Nevermind, I see that you supplied a new all-black _sk. Hmm. Not a rosy, healthy pink?

That is a map for the Subsurface Scattering, that thing that happens when light goes through your skin and hits whatever is under it and creates this effect and stuff. I actually don't know the specifics but it is something like that, there should be more information by googling it (IIRC there is a Wikipedia page about it).

The thing is, unless you are using an ENB with the right settings and an specifically-made _sk map (Like for example the one Fair Skin Complexion has), chances are you'll get bugs like shiny bronze lines in the body and such, even with the pink one, so I just "solved" the issue by doing just like the mod "No More Ugly Bronze Shine" did and used a very small black texture. I also thought that Subsurface Scattering didn't make sense in furries because, well, we're talking "light passing through skin" here and in their case it's mostly blocked by their fur.

Now, on the issue of panthers, I'm as confused as you. Did you use my .esp? I'm pretty sure I pointed ANY and ALL of the textures that could remotely be loaded by the Dark Elf/Panther head (the default "SkinHeadPanther" sets in the HeadPaet entries, and all of the Dark Elf sets in the race list), and I'm pretty sure I got the face specular you packed to show up on males (females didn't have one yet so I just gave them the khajiit one. Meaning I copied it and pasted and renamed it in the "Panther" folder).

Also, have you tried going to the race menu and browsing through the "Complexion" slider? Even if something is wrong with the Face Set the player gets by default, like I said with Nord females, one of the face texture sets should have the right path.

In any case, I will take a look at it as soon as I have access to my computer.

Also, have you tried going to the race menu and browsing through the "Complexion" slider? Even if something is wrong with the Face Set the player gets by default, like I said with Nord females, one of the face texture sets should have the right path.

After doing some testing, I can confirm that it has something to do with the face texture set not being properly loaded. I replaced both head speculars for panthers with an all-white texture, which would make the head shine like a supernova ingame, and loaded the game. When I first selected the Dark Elf race, I got the khajiit specular, but as soon as I moved the "Complexion" slider one slot, the bright specular was loaded. Happens for both males and females.

Now that we know the texture redirection does work, it's just a matter of finding out why the right face texture does not get loaded untill you manually force the game to do so by browsing through the face texture sets listed in the race data (which is exactly what the Complexion slider does).

EDIT: After doing some internet research, it turns out it's an old bug that has been around for a while (I found some archived threads here in LL and on Reddit). The only info I could find is that the best way to fix it is what you did, assign the race a custom/specific head mesh and put your texture paths in the .nif itself. I guess we could work with that, but still, there is no reason for this to happen whatsoever. Some reports said that it was the PreCache Killer from RaceMenu that was causing it, but other people said they did not have installed it but were getting the specular bug, so it will probably be an engine bug. Again, what the hell, Bethesda?

Edited by Blaze69

Ya, I checked through and you pointed everything to the right place. I did scroll through the presets but didn't think to scroll through the complexions.

Until we have a better answer, I just have a panther nif pointing to the panther specular, which once I saw it I like enough better that it's worth the trouble.

So on those Argonian feet...

I downloaded UBR and OMG that guy is OCD to the max. So if you've followed the Compleat Khajiit thread, you'll see Boo and I hassling over how to make a digitigrade feet fit under a body skeleton with the leg mesh fixed to the skeleton. We've been sizing and rotating the bones slightly, trying to make enough room for a decent footpaw. 

Well, the UBR guy didn't do that. What he/she/it did was simply change the body mesh by taking about 1/3 off the calf. That let him/her/it attach a foot underneath without needing to tweak the skeleton in a major way.

But wouldn't that require redoing every armor in the game? Yes, yes it would. UBR redoes every armor in the game to shorten the calves.

It's an attractive solution so far as fitting the feet goes. But of course all armor replacers fail, including the revealing armors I'm so fond of. So going this way means fixing all of that.

Or I could steal the mesh and adapt it to our approach. That's probably doable but there's no need for the rest of the mod. I have a query in to him/her/it to see if I can use the mesh.

Short term, I'll put the raptor feet on the Argonians. They're simpler.

(@Hannibal, thanks for letting me know. I'll put the fix up on the Hoodie mod.)

Having an issue with my Characters Slong to show, Shows before I go through in the MCM to activate the mods, Going to go through and figure out if I can come up with a fix, or if any of you know of a setting I might be choosing that is causing it to not appear. Any information I can give, just let me know. I might have to ask how though.Not sure if this could be a conflict in mods or a setting that I must have done yet this is wearing me.

it seems the problem is in how my pc is reading skyrim, since opening the game with steam causes the glitch but playing the game from a usb drive displays the feet textures just fine. Thanks for the help.

Thanks for taking a look at UBR.  Wait another moment please, before accepting the raptor feet, there's also Derok's reptilian feet.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/29479/?

If UBR is too extreme for your setup, these look really nice too.  If you chop things up, you might even decide to use both.

Edit: To save you a little hunting, Derok is the same guy who made Better Claws & Gauntlets, one might say Argonian Reptilian Feet completes the set, although Derok prefers UBR now.  Clothing isn't effected and all vanilla shoes still fit, but a couple open toed sandal shoes were modified to show the new feet.

67da964c98.jpg

That is a map for the Subsurface Scattering, that thing that happens when light goes through your skin and hits whatever is under it and creates this effect and stuff. I actually don't know the specifics but it is something like that, there should be more information by googling it (IIRC there is a Wikipedia page about it).

The thing is, unless you are using an ENB with the right settings and an specifically-made _sk map (Like for example the one Fair Skin Complexion has), chances are you'll get bugs like shiny bronze lines in the body and such, even with the pink one, so I just "solved" the issue by doing just like the mod "No More Ugly Bronze Shine" did and used a very small black texture. I also thought that Subsurface Scattering didn't make sense in furries because, well, we're talking "light passing through skin" here and in their case it's mostly blocked by their fur.

Now, on the issue of panthers, I'm as confused as you. Did you use my .esp? I'm pretty sure I pointed ANY and ALL of the textures that could remotely be loaded by the Dark Elf/Panther head (the default "SkinHeadPanther" sets in the HeadPaet entries, and all of the Dark Elf sets in the race list), and I'm pretty sure I got the face specular you packed to show up on males (females didn't have one yet so I just gave them the khajiit one. Meaning I copied it and pasted and renamed it in the "Panther" folder).

In any case, I will take a look at it as soon as I have access to my computer.

I don't know if you're using an ENB, but fur looks MUCH more convincing with SubSurfaceScattering on. Light diffuses through hair too.

Thanks for taking a look at UBR.  Wait another moment please, before accepting the raptor feet, there's also Derok's reptilian feet.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/29479/?

If UBR is too extreme for your setup, these look really nice too.  If you chop things up, you might even decide to use both.

Edit: To save you a little hunting, Derok is the same guy who made Better Claws & Gauntlets, one might say Argonian Reptilian Feet completes the set, although Derok prefers UBR now.  Clothing isn't effected and all vanilla shoes still fit, but a couple open toed sandal shoes were modified to show the new feet.

I have to agree on that, Reptilian Feet do look good. They aren't as "alien" or reptilian as the other alternatives, but they are much more compatible with anything and still feel argonian-y enough for me. Any of the suggested options would be fine, but if I were to choose between Reptilian Feet and Raptor Feet (modified UBR feet are a possibility but still out of the question untill BadDog gets permission), I'd pick Reptilian, 'cause it looks better to me. Just my two cents, though. I'll be happy with any option, so there's that.

I don't know if you're using an ENB, but fur looks MUCH more convincing with SubSurfaceScattering on. Light diffuses through hair too.

Well, yeah. Probably if it is done the right way it looks great. It's just that playing without ENB I just get the bronze lines and similar visual bugs, and I just rather fix it that way and save some VRAM in the process.

Not that I need to save memory that desperately, though. I have 4GB VRAM and 16GB RAM. I even should be using an ENB. The thing is my video card seems to have some kind of grudge against them, because as soon as I activate them, even with all of the effects turned off, my FPS's tank to the low 20's for no reason. Turn off "UseEffect", and boom, rock-steady 60 again. Hell, even The Witcher 2 runs at Ultra 60FPS with barely any drop, but apparently Skyrim + ENB is too much. It baffles me to no end  :dodgy:.

(For those interested, my card is an AMD R9 370, which is itself a rebranded R7 370 with 4GB of VRAM instead of 2GB.)