Trouble with normal maps is the higher compression formats make them blocky and for whatever reason it's really obvious in game--much more so than with the color. I went through a period of hunting for a decent format when I was doing the smooth-fur tiger. I'll have a look at DTX5. 

What are you saving your normals with right now? They look absolutely fine, and their size is great.

I use DXT 5 and whatever the defaults are because I have low standards :P I think the NVIDIA Photoshop tools has an Image Options button when you save the DDS, and that you can change the level of compression there.

Maybe the GIMP DDS plugin could provide higher quality normals?

The main one is fine, that one appears correctly(maybe slightly off texture-wise, but nothing else). The load order is right too, for both the Mods and the Plugins. I actually switched versions of the mod and restarted as well, though the character was only testing out the Clockwork mod. But I see the point. 

Yup. The sheath and slit addon, when installed with Yiffy Age, is only meant for Khajiit(Sheath) and Argonian(Slit). Every other race should be using Hoodie.

I could look at fixing those textures, but really dds is a lousy format. Compression artifacts are nasty and by the time you find a format without artifacts, the size is through the roof.

Frankly, hoodie schlongs is never 100% stable. I get the tiny schlong bug, the missing schlong bug, the schlong doesn't respond to erection keys bug. But all that's only occasional.

Use uncompressed dds for normal maps.

Specifically the original Lykaios normal maps are 21 fucking MB each. Like saving with DXT 5 and alpha is usually enough. How the hell did the original creator make it that large?!

Thank goodness for Bad Dog for making them smaller.

Trouble with normal maps is the higher compression formats make them blocky and for whatever reason it's really obvious in game--much more so than with the color. I went through a period of hunting for a decent format when I was doing the smooth-fur tiger. I'll have a look at DTX5. 

What are you saving your normals with right now? They look absolutely fine, and their size is great.

I use DXT 5 and whatever the defaults are because I have low standards :P I think the NVIDIA Photoshop tools has an Image Options button when you save the DDS, and that you can change the level of compression there.

Maybe the GIMP DDS plugin could provide higher quality normals?

Use uncompressed dds for normal maps.

I had to step up here, because there are some misconceptions around (except for boo, he got it right. More on this below).

Okay, Skyrim has two kinds of normal maps: tangent-space normals (the blueish ones with an actual alpha that are used for everything EXCEPT for bodies) and object-space normals (the rainbow-colored ones used for character bodies, faces, hands...).

The thing is, tangent-space ones are roughly uniform (as in, same color everywhere) and include specular data (basically, the specular texture is turned into greyscale and "pasted" on to the alpha channel of the normal), so they can safely be compressed with DXT5, because you need to keep the alpha for the specular but the DXT compression won't cause a visible loss of quality due to the "same color" thing I mentioned.

Object space normals (the ones we are actually talking about here), on the other hand, do not have an alpha channel (the specular data is included in a separate _s file), but have many different colors, so while they can be saved in a format that does not include an alpha channel (because they don't need it), if you apply compression to them you will get some horrible compression artifacts. So, they need to be saved in an uncompressed format. ALWAYS. A 1024 uncompressed normal is better than a 2048 DXT-compressed one.

So, texture compression goes like this:

• Diffuse maps can be safely saved in DXT1 format. There will be some quality loss, but not enough to actually be a problem, and it will reduce overall file size. Note that in the case of face diffuses for any race whose head is based on the khajiit one (meaning ALL of the races here), they need to be saved in DXT5 in order to keep the alpha and the "fur layer" effect on the neck. Otherwise the fur layer appears solid and it looks bad.
  • Normal maps (Object space ones, as we are talking about body textures here) should be ALWAYS saved in R8G8B8 format. NOT DXT compression (because of the artifacts), NOT A8R8G8B8 (because you don't need the alpha and it makes the file bigger), they have to be saved as R8G8B8. If you can't "afford" the extra file size, you can downscale the normals, but never compress them with DXT.
  • Specular maps can also be saved in DXT1 format, because the loss of quality won't be that high, just like diffuses, but there is another option: they can be saved in L8 (Greyscale) format, which is lossless (speculars are greyscale maps already, so you don't need the extra color information) AND has the same file size as DXT5, but using L8 or DXT1 is up to you.

The problem with Lykaios textures is that both normals and speculars were 2048x2048 in size and saved as A8R8G8B8. For body, hands, and head. That makes 120MB. There's the problem. If you save normals as R8G8B8, speculars as L8, and scale down hand textures to 1024 (which is enough detail for them), the size goes down to 30MB, which is more reasonable (and 1/4 of the original size).

Edited by Blaze69

Thanks for the rundown, Blaze, that's helpful. I was never clear on what the different formats were for and which were good for skyrim.

I think there is one other consideration though, which is the image itself. I've had lots of problems with normals with smooth transitions--they show all the blockiness of the compression artifacts. But normals with more detail don't seem to have that problem. And in fact I ran the Lykaios normals through a bunch of different formats and I can't tell the difference. Apparently there's enough texture there to hide the artifacts.

Anyway, I'll probably re-compress them before I'm done.

Sorry for asking, but how exactly do you disable the smurf average addon? I think I have all the rquired mods in the correct order but I cannot get the new races to display the beast genitals (they default to the smurf average human penis). Also, the canine penis from the screenshot is not available from the schlong list in game.

Sorry for asking, but how exactly do you disable the smurf average addon? I think I have all the rquired mods in the correct order but I cannot get the new races to display the beast genitals (they default to the smurf average human penis). Also, the canine penis from the screenshot is not available from the schlong list in game.

To disable the AddOn, you can just disable the "SOS - Smurf Average Addon.esp" from loading and start a new game. Alternatively, if you have already started a playthrough, yo can go to SoS' MCM, to the "Smurf Average" page, and set the "Probability" to 0. Then you just use the "Clean AddOn" option to remove it from every NPC that got it and you're done. From then on, SoS will only distribute the Hoodies Schlong, which is the one you want.

The Canine schlong is actually part of the "Hoodies" AddOn, its shows up like that in canine races (like the Nord/Lykaios or the Imperial/Vaalsark). Other races get race-specific ones as well, like feline races getting a feline one or Argonians getting the "slit" one.

To disable the AddOn, you can just disable the "SOS - Smurf Average Addon.esp" from loading and start a new game. Alternatively, if you have already started a playthrough, yo can go to SoS' MCM, to the "Smurf Average" page, and set the "Probability" to 0. Then you just use the "Clean AddOn" option to remove it from every NPC that got it and you're done. From then on, SoS will only distribute the Hoodies Schlong, which is the one you want.

The Canine schlong is actually part of the "Hoodies" AddOn, its shows up like that in canine races (like the Nord/Lykaios or the Imperial/Vaalsark). Other races get race-specific ones as well, like feline races getting a feline one or Argonians getting the "slit" one.

Many thanks! I managed to get it to work.

I'm not actually getting the orc hooves. They just have regular feet. 

post-1342862-0-52449400-1473743475_thumb.jpg

MODLIST

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Dawnguard.esm
HearthFires.esm
Dragonborn.esm
Schlongs of Skyrim - Core.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch.esp
Unofficial Skyrim Modders Patch.esp
RaceCompatibility.esm
SexLab.esm
CreatureFramework.esm
MFVM.esm
ZaZAnimationPack.esm
SexLabAroused.esm
Cutting Room Floor.esp
FNIS.esp
RaceMenu.esp
RaceMenuPlugin.esp
AcquisitiveSoulGemMultithreaded.esp
Auto Unequip Ammo.esp
Auto Unequip Helmet.esp
SkyUI.esp
EverybodyLovesDovahkiin.esp
Extended UI.esp
FISS.esp
Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Major City Interiors.esp
Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul.esp
FCO - Follower Commentary Overhaul.esp
Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp
M2M_Animations.esp
MasculinizedLevelLists.esp
MasculinizedLevelListsDB.esp
MasculinizedLevelListsDG.esp
MFVM_Hearthfire_Patch.esp
MoreNastyCritters.esp
SexLabNudeCreatures.esp
SexLabNudeCreaturesDB.esp
SexLabNudeCreaturesDG.esp
dD-No Spinning Death Animation Merged.esp
Weapons & Armor Fixes_Remade.esp
Clothing & Clutter Fixes.esp
Complete Crafting Overhaul_Remade.esp
RewardYourFollowers.esp
dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - High.esp
WRF_by_RolandSir_Main_file_DG.esp
WerewolfPerksExpanded.esp
Weapons & Armor_TrueWeaponsLvlLists.esp
VioLens.esp
SLAnimLoader.esp
SLALAnimObj.esp
SexLabDefeat.esp
SkyTweak.esp
Grimy Utilities Interface.esp
ShoutsRedragonized.esp
SexTalk.esp
SexLabZzz.esp
SexLabWerewolves.esp
SC07SexLabRandomAttack.esp
SexLab Brawling Rape.esp
Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Dawnguard Weathers.esp
Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Weathers.esp
Dual Sheath Redux.esp
PerkusMaximus_Master.esp
PerMa Expansion 1 - Wintermyst.esp
Pre PaMa WAFR CCF CCOR Wintermyst Patch.esp
PerkusMaximus_Mage.esp
Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Dungeons.esp
PerkusMaximus_Thief.esp
Vukasin.esp
FennecRace.esp
the lungaris - rabbit-like race.esp
WotA-VaalsarkRace.esp
LykaiosRace.esp
Schlongs of Skyrim.esp
BDHoodieSchlong.esp
BDOrcSchlong.esp
FloppySOS.esp
BDDigiFeet.esp
SexyFurries.esp
Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Major City Exteriors.esp
HentaiCreatures.esp
RLO - Major City Exteriors - No Guard Torches.esp
imp_helm_legend.esp
aMidianborn_Skyforge_Weapons.esp
RaceCompatibilityUSKPOverride.esp
SMIM-Merged-All.esp
SpousesEnhanced.esp
Immersive Citizens - CRF patch.esp
AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp
SOS - Male Vanila Armor Cloths Conversion Custom.esp
SOS - Revealing Armors.esp
SOS - Revealing DLC1 Conversion.esp
SOS - Revealing DLC2 Conversion.esp
NippleRingsForMen.esp
K2SOSPiercings.esp
SOS - Skimpy Courch Underwear.esp
PerMa_USLEEP master patch.esp
PerMa Weaponry Fillout.esp
Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Dawnguard Interiors.esp
Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Minor Cities and Town Interiors.esp
Dead Body Collision.esp
PerkusMaximus_Warrior.esp
PerMaExtendedPerkDescriptions.esp
XPMSE.esp
DesyncBirdsOfPrey.esp
HighHrothgarWindowGlow.esp
SolitudeExterior.esp
WhiterunExterior.esp
Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp
DynDOLOD.esp
Bashed Patch, 0.esp
PatchusMaximus.esp
Dual Sheath Redux Patch.esp

Tested on a new game, everything was working on an old save, the only thing i did was update.

I like using the argonian raptor feet mod with this one. Gives them a reason why they're not wearing boots. Have to load it before BDDigifeet.esp though. There's also a compatibility patch for SOS so it will appear on those bodies, also fixed an annoying arm seam on my argonians that I got from the original SOS argonian body textures. Don't know if it's compatible with other body mods since I don't use any others; haven't tried it with Drachis Argonians either.

I like using the argonian raptor feet mod with this one. Gives them a reason why they're not wearing boots. Have to load it before BDDigifeet.esp though. There's also a compatibility patch for SOS so it will appear on those bodies, also fixed an annoying arm seam on my argonians that I got from the original SOS argonian body textures. Don't know if it's compatible with other body mods since I don't use any others; haven't tried it with Drachis Argonians either.

Raptor feet is definitely not compatible with UNP and CBBE bodies on females. The normals have to be regenerated and the UV maps for the female feet have to be redone after fitting them to each body type.

Raptor feet is definitely not compatible with UNP and CBBE bodies on females. The normals have to be regenerated and the UV maps for the female feet have to be redone after fitting them to each body type.

Actually, it is easy to make CBBE/UNP textures compatible, because the "feet" part of the Raptor feet uses the same UV as vanilla feet and the talons have a specific texture in an unused corner of the body map. The feet roughly matches both bodies' feet placement (UNP has it a little better because it's UV is closer to vanilla, but none of them look 100% perfect), and the talon is just a matter of copying that part of the textures from Raptor Feet's textures. It's even easier if your textures are just edited vanilla ones (and I only know of two texture sets for Argonians that are not like that), because you can just paste the feet part from Raptor Feet's textures and be done with it.

Okay, I have done some testing and gone through the files and have some things to say:

• 1.- Orcs do get their hooves, and they look pretty good mesh-wise. They also match the physical seam placement of SOS/UNP bodies, though there are some seams on the textures. Males have some slight ones, though it's not that much of an issue and I'm sure they can be removed with some texture tweaking. Females, on the other hand, have a pretty noticeable mismatch between feet and body, but I understand that it is caused by the fact that the hooves use their own textures while the rest of the body keeps whatever human body textures are installed.

• 2.- There were some bugs left with head parts, and specifically some Heads had the wrong morph files assigned (they were pointing to the "EyesKhajiitFemaleMorph.tri" instead of the head one). It meant that none of the face-editing sliders worked while creating a Nord/Dark Elf female character in RaceMenu. There was also an edit to OrcRaceVampire that pointed them to the canine skeleton (Since it was only male Orc vampires, I understand it was a mistake), and the NakedFeetOrc had the "SkinFemaleHumanBody" Texture FormList assigned to females, so in some situations the hooves would get human feet textures instead (that is part of an unused vanilla game feature that allows for multiple texture sets to be put in a list and the game automatically asigns them based on character weight).

• 3.- I also have a suggestion. I use the UUNP Special body, and it requires some specific texture to be pasted on each race's body texture. Since it doesn't take up space (it's placed in an unused/empty part of the body map), I'd say it could be added to this textures by default. That way compatibility is improved, because people that use UUNP Special won't have bugs due to missing textures, and people that don't use it won't ever notice.

No, on to #2, I have made a patch that fixes those bugs AND also redirects Nord face tints to use Lykaios assets, so while Nord NPC's will still have Khajiit tints untill their FaceGen data is rebuilt, Nord PC's will now have the proper tints and war paints available. There should be no other issues left, though I haven't tested my fixes throughly:  

As for #3, I will do the texture edits for myself anyway, so I can also post them here so they can be added without BadDog having to work on them.

Last, we have #1 and the issue of Orcs and their hooves. In my opinion, the best option would be to replace Orc textures entirely (textures for every other race are replaced, so why not). Edited SoS textures for the males (there are not many options apart from those ones anyway), so that the seams are reduced as much as possible. For the females, it gets harder, because there are many different options, and the default UNP textures (which would be the "standard" to use) are outdated, badly optimized and the opposite of seamless. Maybe asking for permision to modify some seamless texture from Nexus could do the trick (for example, IIRC Fair Skin textures can be used as long as you give credit). This is just my two cents though, and I understand I would need some work, but it's just a suggestion.

Taking things in turn:

> The monk robe is part of a new revealing armor/clothes set I'm putting together. I have the two revealing armor mods you referenced stacked, but they don't cover everything and I didn't like how they handled monk & mage robes. Currently I have fine clothes, monk, wizard and necromancer robes, vampire armor and maybe something else, I forget. Also I redid the blacksmith's apron because having your willie out front catching sparks gives me the willies. I made it full covering in front and none in back. I'm planning to do more, but it turns out the reason these werent done is that it's real work--you can't just make parts of the clothes transparent and stick a body under, because the body shows through. I'll upload it soon as a separate mod.

> I like the idea of rolling in the raptor feet. I tried them once but the texture was nasty with the combination I was using so I dropped them. I could look more seriously at incorporating them here. I don't know what permission I can get to roll it in though, and it would be one more required mod otherwise.

> UNP female bodies vs all the rest... yeah, that. Anything you do for better compatibility I'll roll in. I want to support CBBE anyway, which shouldn't take a separate texture, just modifications to support both maps as you say. I spent a little time chasing seam issues, especially on the orcs, but not a lot, figuring I'd clean them up in another rev. Happy to support UUNP Special if it can be done compatibly.

There is something bizarre about the female body meshes. I pulled one which seems to extend way further down towards the ankle than I can make any sense of--CBBE doesn't entirely redo the foot/boot meshes, does it? 

> Thanks for hunting the facial problems and other bugs. I tried using the canine skeleton on the orcs and didn't like it--guess I didn't clean that out entirely.

Blaze, since you understand faces, would you look at two characters for me? Master Angir has a very peculiar facial structure and something off about the mouth parts. (The other greybeards look normal.) And Erandur (that's his picture in the OP) has something odd about the mouth too. His lower teeth seem to be showing through a bit and I think a piece floats free when he's talking.

Incidentally, I'd love to restrict the panthers' tints to just ones that make sense for panthers--shades of indigo mostly, I expect, tho real-life black panthers sometimes have shades of dark brown.

I'm currently using the Argonian Raptor Feet + Argonian Raptor Feet with SOS Body Texture for males, and Raptor Talon Argonians for females which changes their textures entirely (was the only one fully compatible with females for me) though I made a separate rar file to combine all of this together so I wouldn't be using three different mods for it. It would be cool if you put the raptor feet in as an optional addon or something.

> UNP female bodies vs all the rest... yeah, that. Anything you do for better compatibility I'll roll in. I want to support CBBE anyway, which shouldn't take a separate texture, just modifications to support both maps as you say. I spent a little time chasing seam issues, especially on the orcs, but not a lot, figuring I'd clean them up in another rev. Happy to support UUNP Special if it can be done compatibly.

Alright, here are the textures:  

Drag and drop, and replace existing ones, I just added the required texture "bits" without touching anything else, so they should be fine. I think it would be good to post a link in the description or upload it to the downloads section so people can get it without having to wait for the next mod update.

On the topic of CBBE compatibility, well... I'm sorry to tell you that it is not that simple. The UV differences between the two bodies are so many that it is impossible to create a single texture that fits them both. For example, CBBE and UNP have the nipples placed in different spots, which means that an hypothetical All-In-One texture would have to contain both, so you would get floating/misplaced nipples with both versions, and so on. One texture for the two bodies is simply not possible. Using the existing UNP textures as a base to create CBBE ones MAY be a possibility though, but you would have to ask some with more knowledge about texturing.

In any case, there is no such thing as "all the rest". ALL of the available bodies are either CBBE-Based or UNP-based. Non-standard CBBE Bodies are mostly Bodyslide presets or custom edits, while all of the UNP derivatives (like UNPB, Sevenbase, Dreamgirl, CNHF, etc.) use UNP textures, even the ones created before Unified UNP was created (the Bodyslide version of UNP which also includes most of the existing derivatives).

There is something bizarre about the female body meshes. I pulled one which seems to extend way further down towards the ankle than I can make any sense of--CBBE doesn't entirely redo the foot/boot meshes, does it? 

I haven't checked it thoughly, but I'm pretty sure that both UNP and CBBE (and their derivatives, except for really outdated ones) follow vanilla neck/hand/feet seam conventions, so the placement and shape of said seams should be the same for all of them. It is truth that CBBE places the feet UV shifted downwards with respect to the Vanilla/UNP one, so CBBE textures do show a gap when used on UNP feet, but meshes should match. Where did you get that body?

Carrying on with this topic, I've noticed that you used the original UNP diffuse for female hooves. I don't know if you have noticed, but the original UNP body hasn't been updated in AGES, and it's severely outdated by now, both meshes and textures. You should get Bodyslide if you don't have it yet, because it contains the updated version of UNP (Re-branded Unified UNP or UUNP, asn I mentioned before) alongside things like UUNP Special, or HDT-Linked hi-poly hands and feet, and that's the one you want to use as a reference for any work you do.

> Thanks for hunting the facial problems and other bugs. I tried using the canine skeleton on the orcs and didn't like it--guess I didn't clean that out entirely.

Blaze, since you understand faces, would you look at two characters for me? Master Angir has a very peculiar facial structure and something off about the mouth parts. (The other greybeards look normal.) And Erandur (that's his picture in the OP) has something odd about the mouth too. His lower teeth seem to be showing through a bit and I think a piece floats free when he's talking.

Incidentally, I'd love to restrict the panthers' tints to just ones that make sense for panthers--shades of indigo mostly, I expect, tho real-life black panthers sometimes have shades of dark brown.

Can't open Skyrim right now, but I will check it ASAP and see if it's anything that need fixing. It may not be and actual "bug", because you have to consider the fact that NPC's have their own face data made with their original race in mind, and Khajiit head customization is severely limited when compared to humanoid races, so maybe it's just that the morphs applied on their NPC records go past the "limit" of khajiit morphs and thus look weird.

I remember something similar happened in Oblivion, where you could manually edit NPC faces on the Construction Set (as in, using the mouse to drag and move parts of the face), which would ignore the morph "limits" and allow you to create some hideous abominations. 

Edited by Blaze69

Actually, it is easy to make CBBE/UNP textures compatible, because the "feet" part of the Raptor feet uses the same UV as vanilla feet and the talons have a specific texture in an unused corner of the body map. The feet roughly matches both bodies' feet placement (UNP has it a little better because it's UV is closer to vanilla, but none of them look 100% perfect), and the talon is just a matter of copying that part of the textures from Raptor Feet's textures. It's even easier if your textures are just edited vanilla ones (and I only know of two texture sets for Argonians that are not like that), because you can just paste the feet part from Raptor Feet's textures and be done with it.

I never said it was hard, it's just they aren't compatible out of the box.

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "definitely" in the post you quoted :P Makes it seem like it's hard.

But with me using the HDT pussy mod, and the argonian female texture from it being of a different color tint, it makes it a teeny bit harder to convert Arg Raptor Feet for UNP bodies. i might do it one day, but I don't really feel like it right now.

Taking things in turn:

> The monk robe is part of a new revealing armor/clothes set I'm putting together. I have the two revealing armor mods you referenced stacked, but they don't cover everything and I didn't like how they handled monk & mage robes. Currently I have fine clothes, monk, wizard and necromancer robes, vampire armor and maybe something else, I forget. Also I redid the blacksmith's apron because having your willie out front catching sparks gives me the willies. I made it full covering in front and none in back. I'm planning to do more, but it turns out the reason these werent done is that it's real work--you can't just make parts of the clothes transparent and stick a body under, because the body shows through. I'll upload it soon as a separate mod.

Yeah, I don't really like most of the current revealing armor out there, especially because some of it uses alpha properties on parts of their meshes, which seems to lead to incorrect lighting under shadow lights, like this:

post-248631-0-10945100-1473808498_thumb.png

And that looks terrible. I'm glad you're working on new armors!

So I made a texture compatibility mod for UNP feminine argonian textures, lizard version, for Argonian Raptor Feet.

FeminineArgonianTexture-ArgonianRaptorFeet-UNP-texturefix.zip

Make sure you load Argonian Raptor feet before sexyfurries.esp

It's just edits to make them compatible IE look better. If anyone thinks it might be a problem having it uploaded, I'll remove it.

it requires Argonian Raptor Feet

Yeah, my revealing stuff will be a separate mod.

I think that if you're building on another mod and you require it, you can do things like clean up their textures or meshes. That's what an addon does. If you want to use their stuff in your own mod and you're not requiring it, or if you want to roll their mod into yours, you need permission. Sorta like having to own the Dawnguard DLC if you want to use a mod that uses Dawnguard resources.