[mod] [CK2] Dark World: Reborn - Updated 01MAY2024

Sure, sure, it's a theft and that's bad. But on the other side... little publicity won't harm anyone.

Even a bad thing can result in something good. Although posting it on Steam Workshop isn't the brightest idea of all the things.

I haven't said anything about theft being good.

You didn't?

So you are not of the opinion bad things can have good results as you posted right before my answer?

In both instances the modding community lost modders due to this issue.

"The mod gets more publicity" is a naive way to see it.

Stealing mods is bad and there is no "good outcome" of it. Nor will there ever be.

You don't seem to understand the point. I wasn't talking about the theft itself, but the outcome of it.

God Damn, man. Im not talking about theft itself.

I'm talking about the actual outcome of it.

Mod was taken down from Steam Workshop. No one came here to complain about virus infested mod. And guy probably didn't have even time to profit from ads, if it was on some kind of scammy website.

And yes. Bad things can have good outcome in some cases. Even if it's the tiniest good outcome.

Yet again, I'm say repeating: I wasn't talking about the theft itself, but it's outcome: publicity for the mod.

And I don't give a damn if it's a naive way to see it. Even if one person notices, it's great. Another person joins the community, plays the mod. And who knows. Maybe they'll be inspired and start doing their own mod, belp out with various suggestions or report serious issues.

Who knows.

To repeat once again: I wasn't talking about the theft, but it's possible good outcome. You have right to disagree here. I have right to disagree with you. We could pointlessly talk about it here, spam the forum topic and argue. But there's no need for that, since it would make orientation and finding desired posts far harder for others.

Stealing mods is bad and there is no "good outcome" of it. Nor will there ever be.

Literally every effect of stolen mods is negative for the mod author.

The most critical is:

S/He has no control over his/her own creation and is somewhat forced to view other profit from his/her work.

More publicity would be nice if for some inexplicable reason the user doesn't use the stolen mod from a more convenient source like moddb, steam or from the website of a "modpack creator" and finds the way to the official mod.

But that's not how that works. Normal users find a mod only once because they simply assume it is official and won't join the official mods community. In other words the publicity you so desperately defend is wasted in most cases. Only a few users search the original place the mod was from. And these are mostly the users with problems with the stolen mod.

Worse even are the users which have problems, do not find help and "report" it in totally unrelated places like reddit. The mod author gets even more blame.

The thief on the other hand gets praise. Sometimes even "Great to see this mod brought to a wider audience".

And even if you somehow would be correct about 'even small amounts of publicity is good' this advantage it would be burried under the massive drawbacks.

And make no mistake. Valve took the mod down due to sexual content and not because it is stolen. US firms tend to not care about violence or gore but god forbids if even part of a nipple is shown.

I am really enjoying the mod, playing the Werewolf toy with the 'internal RP' of Werewolves using my Kingdom as a safe place to breed. But my only question, currently 200 years in and noticed literally nothing related to the Werewolves past the initial activation and Fenris spawning. Is there anything else that'll activated given chance or anything like that?

I'd really love to see some flavour text related stuff about the Werewolf, like demanding fiefs or even demanding your wife in his bed at intervals, to ensure her impregnation. And I tested it out, I plot to kill and ended him quite easily before re-loading. Is there anything about that or is it just mostly internal RP we have to make up?

Even more Werewolves showing up, the longer he has you influence the more Werewolves show up and begin to seduce all the women.

And again, really loving the mod!

Castigar0, on 02 Nov 2017 - 3:50 PM, said:

I am really enjoying the mod, playing the Werewolf toy with the 'internal RP' of Werewolves using my Kingdom as a safe place to breed. But my only question, currently 200 years in and noticed literally nothing related to the Werewolves past the initial activation and Fenris spawning. Is there anything else that'll activated given chance or anything like that?

I'd really love to see some flavour text related stuff about the Werewolf, like demanding fiefs or even demanding your wife in his bed at intervals, to ensure her impregnation. And I tested it out, I plot to kill and ended him quite easily before re-loading. Is there anything about that or is it just mostly internal RP we have to make up?

Even more Werewolves showing up, the longer he has you influence the more Werewolves show up and begin to seduce all the women.

And again, really loving the mod!

I believe you need to get a third party mod to iterate over the base scenarios. I started with Werewolf Toy, but nothing relevant happened. Fenris and Vlad will eventually wither and die, they're not strong on their own to be of any threat especially when they have a pagan religion. I've tried to groom some werewolves (descendants of the original from the start), but they all died and produced no real interesting outcome. For some reason, it's easy for the werewolves to get debilitating traits.

Try to use noxbestia's mod, see if anything changes.

@Winded1

No this question was not asked before and the answer is No as well.

Gamerules are set for the game, not until the player decides s/he wants something else.

Thanks for the answer.  I abhor restartitis, but in this case I may need too because this mod is so good. :-)

I'm really thinking that I took the wrong approach in trying to make my societies by just attempting to copy over existing vanilla ones, but progress is still being made. I've also begun to heavily gut them, instead of trying to convert sections. While I don't see anything coming out before the end of October - I'd imagine I should be able to get the latest things into a releasable state sometime in November.

hi dewguru,

I would just like to warn you about what happened with Toska's mod- they tried to mod in a lilith society and it melted into a bunch of other aspects of the game, and caused horrible bloat/trait spamming.

If anyone can pull this off, its you, but please be careful

I'm more likely to release something that is bare bones and ensure it's working well, and then add to it. Although this weekend has seen more progress than the prior couple of weeks. And just in case, I'll leave up the prior mod versions in case I miss something in testing.

ok thank you

@Winded1

Gamerules are set for the game, not until the player decides s/he wants something else.

Thanks for the answer.  I abhor restartitis, but in this case I may need too because this mod is so good. :-)

It is possible that via save edit gamerules can be altered.

Start a new game with the gamerules you want and save.

Go to the save location and open the .ck2 file of your save with an extraction program like 7z.

In it you find another .ck2 file which is in fact a textfile. Open this with a texteditor and the gamerules are stated there near the top.

When a gamerule is on default value it is not stated.

Be careful though. CK2 does not really like sudden and big changes. Expect weirdness when you enable opposite effects from before.

While possible said procedure is not advised. It still is better to completely start anew.

When it's only traits you're after like your original character having a succubus/incubus trait and you want to exchange that for say the vampire trait the process is easier. Press $ (I do it via ALT and 21 on the numpad) and enter remove_trait XYZ or add_trait XYZ where XYZ is the name of the trait. These names are stated in the dw_traits.txt file under C:\Users\USER\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod\Dark World Reborn\common\traits.

Literally every effect of stolen mods is negative for the mod author.

The most critical is:

S/He has no control over his/her own creation and is somewhat forced to view other profit from his/her work.

More publicity would be nice if for some inexplicable reason the user doesn't use the stolen mod from a more convenient source like moddb, steam or from the website of a "modpack creator" and finds the way to the official mod.

But that's not how that works. Normal users find a mod only once because they simply assume it is official and won't join the official mods community. In other words the publicity you so desperately defend is wasted in most cases. Only a few users search the original place the mod was from. And these are mostly the users with problems with the stolen mod.

Worse even are the users which have problems, do not find help and "report" it in totally unrelated places like reddit. The mod author gets even more blame.

The thief on the other hand gets praise. Sometimes even "Great to see this mod brought to a wider audience".

And even if you somehow would be correct about 'even small amounts of publicity is good' this advantage it would be burried under the massive drawbacks.

And make no mistake. Valve took the mod down due to sexual content and not because it is stolen. US firms tend to not care about violence or gore but god forbids if even part of a nipple is shown.

Piracy and publicity is very much a double-edged sword. For instance, Darkwood is a game that accepted the whole piracy trend, released it on various piracy sites and eventually former pirates of the game Emailed the guy and showed their receipts of purchasing the game. The world may seem to black and white, but it usually operates in shades of grey. I mean, don't get me wrong, Fuck that guy for fucking up that hard and posting that on Steam workshop, but a bit of notice goes a relatively long distance. Get the crowd hungry or piqued about it and it may ripple out in ways nobody knows. Also, Did someone earn your ire today or something? You seem even more confrontational than usual.

Also, a bit of a source https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/10/what-happened-after-three-developers-pirated-their-own-games/

in other news, welcome back Dew, glad to see you back at it

I understand where JesusKreist is coming from to a degree. I've seen some folks get so upset that they walked away, especially when all a modder really has in many cases is the personal pride that they've created something themselves that a lot of people enjoy - then when it's distributed or made to look like someone else's work, it can be very painful. And although I like to think I wouldn't be like that, I suppose if it became so frequent that I could end up having issues with it. As it is though, I just was shocked that someone posted an adult content mod on the Steam Workshop, and it so happened to be mine (one of them was, another was posted as well).

That aside - I actually got the latest update in a form where I was able to do some testing last night. It went better than I thought, although I need to do some more work on them, as I noticed a few issues with joining seemingly not working properly on the Chose of Lilith one, while the Wizards College worked alright.

That aside - I actually got the latest update in a form where I was able to do some testing last night. It went better than I thought, although I need to do some more work on them, as I noticed a few issues with joining seemingly not working properly on the Chose of Lilith one, while the Wizards College worked alright.

Oh Dew, since you're testing out and tweaking the latest version, could you please look into Blood Moon events?

I know it's hardly an issue, but Blood Moon events trait gains are incredibly harsh.

I don't think after one party person can become hardcore drunkard or woman having fun with another woman suddenly changes her sexual orientation.

If I may suggest - Won't it be little more fair and reasonable to change percentage chance from 50% to 30/20% ?

After all, Blood Moon events can be repeated and that's why there's always a chance to get those traits.

Oh Dew, since you're testing out and tweaking the latest version, could you please look into Blood Moon events?

I know it's hardly an issue, but Blood Moon events trait gains are incredibly harsh.

I don't think after one party person can become hardcore drunkard or woman having fun with another woman suddenly changes her sexual orientation.

If I may suggest - Won't it be little more fair and reasonable to change percentage chance from 50% to 30/20% ?

After all, Blood Moon events can be repeated and that's why there's always a chance to get those traits.

I've thought about it - but when it comes down to it, the event is a celebration of Mother Lilith. And while it may not be clear - she takes a great interest in the celebrations dedicated to her, so her presence is much stronger there, and as such, people have a greater chance than normal to fall into depravity. If I do change the percentage chance, it'd likely be a special check that looks at the number of virtues versus sins traits a person has and then give a weighted percentage chance based on that.

What I think the Blood Moon really needs, is a little more variety, with a few more events like the Alcohol and Ass or the Art Appreciation one, where a negative outcome isn't likely. Although at the same time, I do have another negative one planned to add as well.

Those changes are unlikely to make it's way into this next release, but you never know.

@Winded1

It is possible that via save edit gamerules can be altered.

Start a new game with the gamerules you want and save.

Go to the save location and open the .ck2 file of your save with an extraction program like 7z.

In it you find another .ck2 file which is in fact a textfile. Open this with a texteditor and the gamerules are stated there near the top.

When a gamerule is on default value it is not stated.

Be careful though. CK2 does not really like sudden and big changes. Expect weirdness when you enable opposite effects from before.

While possible said procedure is not advised. It still is better to completely start anew.

When it's only traits you're after like your original character having a succubus/incubus trait and you want to exchange that for say the vampire trait the process is easier. Press $ (I do it via ALT and 21 on the numpad) and enter remove_trait XYZ or add_trait XYZ where XYZ is the name of the trait. These names are stated in the dw_traits.txt file under C:\Users\USER\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod\Dark World Reborn\common\traits.

Hmm...well it's not so much the traits that I'm wanting to change, I know I can change those via console, I'm just new to this mod and want to play and experience the various quests. The way the mod is currently set up in individual modules, where you have to pick only one main option out of ..I think 4 or 5? But then have a game you're already many hours invested in...well thus the question I had.  Thank you for your help! :-)

Hmm...well it's not so much the traits that I'm wanting to change, I know I can change those via console, I'm just new to this mod and want to play and experience the various quests. The way the mod is currently set up in individual modules, where you have to pick only one main option out of ..I think 4 or 5? But then have a game you're already many hours invested in...well thus the question I had.  Thank you for your help! :-)

Well, in all fairness the only start options that really have any kind of special play events or options at this point are Children of Lilith, Werewolves, and Tentacle-kin have a power. The others right now are more what you make of them within the game itself. The story lines mentioned in the summary descriptions are largely what is planned for them, rather than what is there right now.

Well, in all fairness the only start options that really have any kind of special play events or options at this point are Children of Lilith, Werewolves, and Tentacle-kin have a power. The others right now are more what you make of them within the game itself. The story lines mentioned in the summary descriptions are largely what is planned for them, rather than what is there right now.

Ahh well I wasn't fully aware of this. Is there a fleshed out vampire quest line that's been implemented? 

I'm also wondering, now that I've played a bit more in my second generation character who is going to be an adult soon, do the quests reset for subsequent rulers?  IE: I played through the lilith questline with my "father" some of his children are succubus/incubus, but my current character is not...will I begin to have the same dreams and begin that quest when I come of age? Or is it a one and done deal? Also will this happen with the side quests?  For instance, I seem to be able to "hire a court jester" again, and have a second Harley appear, what about the Beauty and the Beast quest? I can visit her town, but of course she is no longer there and the quest has played out, I don't see this as ever resetting, but is there a way to go into my savegame file, modify it to reset it so it triggers again? If so, I'm not even sure what change needs to be made. Clearly I'm wanting to have my cake and eat it too by not having to restart a new game, :-P And sorry if I'm beginning to be a pain in the ass here. 

No to all three questions.

As dew said lilith, tentacle-kin and werewolves have something. Of these three only lilith has a decent amount. Werewolves are missing roundabout half of the planned events/features and tentacle-kin are basically only one targeted decision. Every other race up to now is nothing more than a trait and some portraits.

That dream is the start for the first generation after that it is normal inheritance.

You can trigger the event manually via "event DWLilith.10" though. Or add the succubus/incubus trait directly.

Almost all events are one time only. You can only get one belle, hermione, sorcey, alice, ...

It is planned and designed that way.

To make it events which are repeatable you'd need to clear every character or world flag the events have written in the background.

Yes, you'll need to go hunting with him I believe to get on the Gaston path.

How do you go hunting with him?

Once you go to Belle (in her village) for the first time, there are some options to give her different books (based on your attribute level), and there's the option to ask her to go hunting or something like that (it might be tied to your Martial level). When next visiting her village you should get the event where you go hunting with Gaston, if I remember correctly.

Being able to mod a secret society would be so much easier if they had a freaking on_action item like the on_character_ask_to_join_society, but for showing interest instead. Something like a on_character_shows_interest_to_join_society.

That's all. Just a mini-rant on my headache with this.

Edit/Update: Well there is an on_action after all. My interpretation of what it handled was simply off when I looked at it.

on_character_switch_society_interest looks like what I was needing all along. So I now have two very basic societies that can be joined.

Through the Wizard's College, one will be able to become a mage (obtaining the trait) if they so choose as they advance through the society.

No estimated release time frame yet beyond 'sometime in November.'