Star Wars Stuff (Spoilers)

Myst42

I'm lost here...

SPOILERS AHEAD

Tried to look for a thread on this new movie... didn't found one.

I take it we're a gaming and modding community... but that also makes us nerds, and I' mean that in the best possible way (proud of it). Face it guys, we're nerds, we like games. Nerds also tend to like stuff like Star Wars or Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones etc... So I hope I'm not too out of place speaking of this crap here.

To the point:

AGAIN, SPOILERS

Last movie has this evil lead character that we later learn that his name is Kylo Ren and he's supposed to be Han and Leia's son.

But seriously... WTF???

According to some wookipedia articles, They had 3 sons, Jacen, Jaina and Anakin. Didnt read the whole thing because its TLDR, but there's an entire timeline based on that idea... I believe Jacen turns evil and then calls himself Darth Caedus, then Jaina kills him. There's Luke's son in the story too and new Sith Lords, one who seems especially important called Darth Krayt and there's also this red Twilek called Darth Talon and stuff...

Point being, not a single mention of this Kylo Ren guy or Han Solo dying before being father to those 3 kids or this Rey girl in the movie. (Which I strongly suspect is either an alternate version or Jaina or Luke's daughter)

So just so we're clear... all this timeline in the comics has been thrown to garbage now right?

All of it no longer matters and none if it ever "happened" am I correct?

No Darth Caedus now?

Cause this shit is very confusing.

Only things that are canon now, are what Disney has aproved after they bought star wars. Which means All that E.U Stuff dont count. Only the 7 star wars movies, the clone wars animatied show and rebels and comic/bogs that has come out after.

You can google all of this.  Part of the condition of sale from Lucas to Disney was the creation of the "new timeline" board (not the correct name but that it is their function).  Cannon is being "reinvented".  So most of the existing books and comics are now alternate timelines and no longer cannon.  Just google it, there are huge web pages chronicling the whole thing.

Thank you guys for explaining...

And ... I tried googling, but I got lost along those huge web pages. One link led to the next and so on... I'm being too disperse these last days.

Good to know the Old republic is probably safe though.

Welcome to the the wonderful world of Retroactive continuity

Usually its only warhammer 40k that abuses the hell out of it

That said with the star wars books a lot of them didn't really make sense/provide continuation if you took them as a whole anyway

Oh, you don't know? Well, some fans are really upset by this but yes, Disney did the only thing that could be done and threw out most of the baggage created over time by the EU. It was bound to happen and didn't surprise me at all, anyd only mildly annoyed me - otherwise Disney had to incorporate hundreds of comics, books, games etc and all their contradictions into their movies -  simply impossible to do,and some of the books, despite contrary believe, are not that suited for a movie-adaptation anyway. And while I am not an expert in this maybe they even would have had to pay royalties to the authors (like Timothy Zahn, writer of the only really great series of books, the Thrawn-TRILOGY, and no, I don't think they are good movie-material) if they used any material from this?

However.. there are some hints the Kotor-Timeline will at least not be destroyed or thrown out. Korriban is still officially in the Universe for example (though it was still under Lucas they had to rename it to "Morriband" because the Great Master liked the sound of that more....and now please complain about Disney no more, fanboys^^), and the latest official Star Map has a couple of planets on it and includes, wait for it: Rakata Prime - home to the infinite empire and the Star Forge.

Will Disney leave Kotor untouched completely? Well, so far nothing speaks against it. Its thousands of years in the past, home to some very prominent game-settings (Kotor and Old Republic Online), and doesn't contradict the new movies...so, until further notice, one can enjoy the old times....

But Yuzhaan Vong, young Jedi, and some other crap? Bye bye...sadly we had to sacrifice the best Star Wars villain Grandadmiral Thrawn and Mara Jade (Skywalker) to get a new movie, but I made my peace with that and willingly pay the price...If only Luke shows Rey a little holo of her red-haired mother, would blow my mind enough ^^

Lets not forget Luke Skywalker and his wife Mara Skywalker they had 3 children...

J.J Dumbass said that the new star wars will no longer follow the books.

I also want to leave it off with this: The hologram sith figure (Snoke): Might actually be Darth Plagius.

And also for Episode 8, I think *(POSSIBLE SPOILER AHEAD)*

Chewbacca will die. But then again I could be wrong because the director isn't following the books anymore.

I imagine Luke's wife was a casualty of Kylo Ren's little temper tantrum that wiped out Luke's Jedi school.

I can't imagine them killing off Chewbacca.  Luke might die since he's kind of filling the Yoda role this time around.  For my money, Chewie survives the whole thing, Luke dies in 8 and Leia dies in 9 but not before Kylo has his own Vader-esque heel-face turn, completing the cycle of his Vader emulation.  Kylo will become far more visibly ruthless, though won't shed his emo aura.  Snoke will die but not as a direct result of combat, rather through something being blown up or failing to dodge something.  We'll see at least two limbs lost in 8, or one is 8 and three in 9, to make up for the lack of amputation in 7 that was traditional in every other movie to this point.  No fucking clue what Poe and Finn will get up to but I imagine it'll be bromantic as fuck.

Dont think they'll kill Chewie too.

According to what I learnt in this thread, expanded universe Is gone so it's a brave new world out there.

Though I agree with certain things being traditional. "I found the lack of traditional amputations, disturbing"

As for Snoke's Identity, I just googled and found Andy Serkis saying Snoke is not Darth Plagueis

Personally I think it's just a guy named Snoke

Though if he were to be someone... I saw people suggesting he was the reborn spirit of Darth Vitiate, the OG emperor and probably the most powerful sith in the Star Wars universe evah (fighting that position with Nihilus and Plagueis?) But he's a relic and belongs to the old republic lore. That'd certainly be a cool option... but I highly doubt it's gonna happen.

Another nice thought was if he were some kind of holocron with old sith evil in it, but again, he's probably just a guy.

On the Wiki:

Born
200 BBY, Kashyyyk

Died
25 ABY, Sernpidal

More Info From the Wiki:

In 25 ABY, Chewbacca, Han Solo and his youngest son Anakin were sent by Lando Calrissian to pick up a shipment on Sernpidal. When they arrived, the Solos and Chewbacca met an old man, the former mayor of Sernpidal City, who informed them that Dobido was headed on a collision course with Sernpidal and that it was orbiting its host quickly, dropping closer to Sernpidal at regular intervals. While Chewbacca and Han began loading as many people as they could onto the Falcon, Anakin rushed off into Sernpidal City with the mayor in tow. Chewie and Solo managed to evacuate as many people as they could hold, managing to rescue thousands ofSernpidalians, using the Millennium Falcon and various other starships.

Anakin calculated Dobido would collide with Sernpidal in seven hours. This event, unbeknownst to them, was a result of the Yuuzhan Vong tactic, Yo'gand's Core. As the winds picked up, Anakin was knocked into the distance, causing Chewie to run after him. Chewie was able to bring Anakin to safety on theFalcon, but another blast of wind knocked him out of reach. Anakin piloted the Falcon, while his father stood on the entrance ramp hoping to lift Chewie up, but was forced to flee from Sernpidal when he realized it was too late to save Chewie. The Wookiee stood in the moon's trajectory, howling defiantly, and was crushed to death with those Sernpidalians who could not escape. His death drove Han to a resentment of his son Anakin. Han eventually recovered and forgave his son, but the death of his battle-brother and dearest companion would stick with him forever.

On the Wiki:

Born
200 BBY, Kashyyyk

Died
25 ABY, Sernpidal

More Info From the Wiki:

In 25 ABY, Chewbacca, Han Solo and his youngest son Anakin were sent by Lando Calrissian to pick up a shipment on Sernpidal. When they arrived, the Solos and Chewbacca met an old man, the former mayor of Sernpidal City, who informed them that Dobido was headed on a collision course with Sernpidal and that it was orbiting its host quickly, dropping closer to Sernpidal at regular intervals. While Chewbacca and Han began loading as many people as they could onto the Falcon, Anakin rushed off into Sernpidal City with the mayor in tow. Chewie and Solo managed to evacuate as many people as they could hold, managing to rescue thousands ofSernpidalians, using the Millennium Falcon and various other starships.

Anakin calculated Dobido would collide with Sernpidal in seven hours. This event, unbeknownst to them, was a result of the Yuuzhan Vong tactic, Yo'gand's Core. As the winds picked up, Anakin was knocked into the distance, causing Chewie to run after him. Chewie was able to bring Anakin to safety on theFalcon, but another blast of wind knocked him out of reach. Anakin piloted the Falcon, while his father stood on the entrance ramp hoping to lift Chewie up, but was forced to flee from Sernpidal when he realized it was too late to save Chewie. The Wookiee stood in the moon's trajectory, howling defiantly, and was crushed to death with those Sernpidalians who could not escape. His death drove Han to a resentment of his son Anakin. Han eventually recovered and forgave his son, but the death of his battle-brother and dearest companion would stick with him forever.

Except this is all EU stuff and that's no longer canon. They can do what they want.

On the Wiki:

Born
200 BBY, Kashyyyk

Died
25 ABY, Sernpidal

More Info From the Wiki:

Except this is all EU stuff and that's no longer canon. They can do what they want.

no they cant they just cant uncanon things thats been around for years

When considering books like Death Troopers, the holiday special, and who knows what else in that discombobulated mess it's a good thing a there is a fresh slate. On the other hand I hope Disney manages to do something productive with Thrawn and Kyle Katarn. Too many good characters can't simply be thrown under the rug like that!

On the Wiki:

Born
200 BBY, Kashyyyk

Died
25 ABY, Sernpidal

More Info From the Wiki:

Not to be argumentative, but that's the first thing they did. Sorry mate

When considering books like Death Troopers, the holiday special, and who knows what else in that discombobulated mess it's a good thing a there is a fresh slate. On the other hand I hope Disney manages to do something productive with Thrawn and Kyle Katarn. Too many good characters can't simply be thrown under the rug like that!

Well, just to make it clear: That holiday-special was never canon - I always liked that George Lucas Quote "If I had a sledgehammer and enough time, I would find and destroy every copy of it" - pity he never shown that sense of humour in the writing of the prequels ...

And everyone that says "Whaha, Disney killed the Expanded Universe, so evil!" ... again sad news for you, even before Disney NOTHING despite the movies and the Clone Wars Series was "real" canon - GEorge Lucas did the same as Disney does now, picking his cherries of what existed in the EU (the name Coruscant was first used, I think, in the Thrawn trilogy books by T. Zahn). There was a difficult system of "canon"-levels, with movies ranking highest etc, and don't ask how much work the poor guys had that needed to retcon all kinds of things once the prequels had come out and contradicted not onyl the EU ... but even the original trilogy ...

*sigh* So, despite the tragic loss of Thrawn and Mara Disney did not do an evil thing, they did the only logical thing by cutting off the baggage of the EU...and just to make it clear: I consider Thrawn to be the BEST villain in Star Wars, way before the Emperor and of course way before Vader (I never really got why people are so hyped anbout Vader that even Lucas had to hammer him into the prequels as the main char and retcon everything as if it was always meant to be "Vaders story" ... but I digress). It would be a cool nod if they could make Thrawn maybe a driving force in the new EU as teh founder of the First Order or such things, but doubt it. Again, not sure if Disney had to pay royalties if the use such characters invented by other authors...

So... They established a definition of what is and what's not canon, according to a system of layers originally (holocron)

Movies were first class cannon, then, there was the stuff they made for TV and then games and other media...

After Disney takeover, all that they didnt make, and all that's not a movie was labeled "Star Wars Legends" which is an entirely different thing now

And sadly, games didnt make it to the official canon. Holiday special also didnt make it btw.

As for my KOTOR fears, they came true according to this article, though they didnt' kill all hope by the looks of it.

On the Wiki:

Born
200 BBY, Kashyyyk

Died
25 ABY, Sernpidal

More Info From the Wiki:

Yes they can, google the term ret con as other IP's have been doing it for years

• 1 year later...

I like to think the Old Republic is Cannon as they have been referencing a lot of the events in the Old Republic in Star Wars Rebels. From Banners to Lightsaber's they are slowly bring more of the EU back to life.

Now give us Mara Jade back Disney xD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDE6ER5P53k

But in all honesty, I was never that big a fan of Star Wars. I enjoyed bits and pieces of A New Hope and Return of the Jedi, while liking almost the whole of Empire Strikes Back. The prequels are horrible, while Force Awakens was a desperate attempt at cashing in on nostalgia that left me bored and not looking forward to anything else. I have no plans on seeing Rogue One.

I really enjoyed Knights of the Old Republic and the sequel... up until it had no goddamned ending at all, because Obsidian can't help but drop the goddamned ball at the last moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDE6ER5P53k

But in all honesty, I was never that big a fan of Star Wars. I enjoyed bits and pieces of A New Hope and Return of the Jedi, while liking almost the whole of Empire Strikes Back. The prequels are horrible, while Force Awakens was a desperate attempt at cashing in on nostalgia that left me bored and not looking forward to anything else. I have no plans on seeing Rogue One.

I really enjoyed Knights of the Old Republic and the sequel... up until it had no goddamned ending at all, because Obsidian can't help but drop the goddamned ball at the last moment.

It's actually really good, I should watch it if I were you.

Rogue one was so omg good, thats what I believe seeing A New Hope for the first time was like only more higher rez.

I myself grew up in the Prequel Era but watched the Originals first thank god.

Archived