Mass Effect Andromeda

Darkening Demise

It amuses me when people hate Mass Effect 3, yet seem to have no problem with 2, even though that was the game where everything started to go downhill with the removal of the mako, only to be replaced with busywork scanning that added nothing at all, the near total removal of every RPG element while turning it more into a third person cover shooter borefest and giving us a lobotomized plot that adds nothing but stupidity while giving us no real new insight into anything at all.

Mass Effect 3 is a bad game, but its roots were firmly in 2, which was shit in its own right.

You have a grain of truth but ME2 was not shit, and I think you are trolling a little bit. ME2 did lose some RPG aspects that ME1 had, with classes and equipment being severely more limited... but ME2 did do some things right. I also liked the character development in 2 better than 1, though 2 did have some pandering /cough Midranda's ass /cough. The story was excellent, and almost everything made logical sense (unlike 3). The combat was more fluid and faster which I personally liked better than 1, but I do miss some class options. On top of that, the game was gripping and the suicide run in 2 was a hall of fame ending. It actually put pressure on you to make the right decisions, and while the human reaper itself was weak since none of the other reapers are anthropomorphic, it was still a fun encounter. Then the final decision was a really good moral dilemma.

I actually think ME2 out edged ME1 slightly... but only slightly. I understand how others can go the other way.

You can think I'm trolling all you want, but I'm not, because the game is shit.

No, it lost almost everything RPG wise. Gone is the ability to equip even basic things like different ammo, which is instead replaced by crappy special powers, forcing you to bring characters you would otherwise never want to use into a mission to use their character specific ammo. Gone is essentially being able to make a character focus exclusively on something you wanted, instead forcing you to take a generic middle path. There is no customization, there is just gaining points and then tossing them into the tiny fraction of what is left of character skills.

The cover based shooting may be better, but at what cost? The first game had frictionless materials that allowed you to fire nearly an unlimited amount of time, but instead they've replaced any concept of that, and the way things worked in the first game, with an ass backwards heat sink concept that is just there to make it more like a normal shooter. The Codex trying to justify it is just bullshit; it's a downgrade. In what universe is being unable to fire a gun because you lack heat sink clips an upgrade to a weapon that can fire without them, only you may have to wait a second for it to cool down enough to keep shooting, or NOT AT ALL because of the FRICTIONLESS material you customized it with?

Not to mention the plot hole that little gem created with Jacob's loyalty mission, because somehow people from 10 years prior have the heat sink guns that were just introduced after the whole Citadel battle.

ME2 may have had slightly better character development than 1, but it had characters I cared nothing for. I did their loyalty missions simply to ensure that everybody lived for an eventual ME3 play through. Speaking of the suicide mission, what a mess. Who you actually have to put into what role can be beyond counter intituve, to the point where you need to look up who can actually work in what roll so as to not have people die. When you end up having to reload because somebody you assumed through their character background and abilities ends up failing, that's just immersion breaking. Having to look up who works best and finding out that you have to replan everything because the way you figured it could work is irritating.

Mass Effect 1 ended with trying to find out who the Reapers are and what they really want. Instead we get an even more ineffectual alien species that is a Geth replacement who do exactly the same thing as the Geth, a three eyed giant human Reaper and no real clues at all to what the real plan of them are... except to make a giant metal human skeleton. There is no grand reveal of their plans, no insight, no information on how to stop them. You literally just spend an entire game with no pay off; skipping ME2 has no effect at all on ME3, outside of some cameos and numerical values based on your resources. When you can skip an entire middle portion of a trilogy and not be the poorer for it, plot wise, that's bad.

Don't even get me started on the whole killing off Shepard at the very start of the game, only to bring them back to life. That is a horrid plot point and a lazy way to try and allow you to make a new character with imported data. There is nothing to play into the nature of death, no character building moment. Shepard is a brick prior to it, they're a brick after the moment.

Speaking of the moral choice of the end, where is the moral choice in just working with Cerebus? No seriously, after the crap you get in ME1 about them, you just happily go about joining them, no moral conflict at all, no ability to go against them... except for the very end, anyway, and even then, if you do go against them, they still have stuff from the base in ME3, so what was the point?

If you just go for the ride, then yeah, ME2 can be a fun game. Hell, when I first played it, for most of it I enjoyed myself. But when you actually start looking at everything, the game falls apart and it becomes shit. If it weren't Mass Effect, I could forgive it, it would be a fun, if forgettable title. But it's a follow up to an amazing game that bastardized so much.

Also, really suggest watching the follow things by a guy who goes by smudboy on YouTube. He does an amazing analysis on the plot, characters and retcons and inconsistencies.

AMEN BROTHER, and HALLELUJA!

Seriously, spot on. I liekd ME2 when it came out, really, I did, thoughsome things like so many characters already made me frown, and the main story was so...eak, but hey, it could only get better when ME3 puts the pieces together, right? We see how that went.

Now I see the problem with ME begins with ME2 already. Because Bioware or EA or whoever was too afraid. Afraid on actually continuing the first part in earnest. Instead they returned to status quo, cleaned the slate, obviously to make it easier to sell the game to new players not familiar with part one. It's right, ME2 has no impact on the story. It should be about the Reapers, preparing the galaxy for war, with Shepard the human Spectre playing the key-role here. Instead we hunt some bug-aliens that well, have some connection to the REapers, but really, take that connection away, it doesn't really matter...

ME2 should have been the part where we learn more about the Reapers, from older races, ruins, archives etc. It could have mentioned the first little hints on how to defeat them, what there plans are, hell, if you really need that friggin Spaceboy than begin introducing him HERE! And have Cerberus as the main villains trying to disrupt the preperations for the Reaper-War ... why? So we can have a full-reaper-war in ME3 without Cerberus' annyoing involvement. Yeah, Illusive-Man was great, but never needed as a quasi-ally in ME2, full villain had been enough...

It reallly freaks me out everytime I think of it...this whole bullshit. Shepard returns from the dead, and nobody at Alllienace-Command or so really seems to give a shit.

And Shep's death, yeah, what a waste as only using it to justify the new char-creation-screen. It could have become an important plot-point. Making Shep half human-machine, much like A Reaper, the possibilities for this! Wasted...

Really, the only impact this prologue-death had to generate some internet-buzz about Shep dying in ME2...which lasted about a week or so, because nobody believed it anyway. So at least use Shep's death at the END of ME2, make it a real suicide-mission, have Shep die whatever she does and...then let us speculate how ME3 brings her back to beat the Reapers ... and have this death play an important role in the story...

Geez, Shepard was DEAD! And it only got mentioned/adressed in...was it ever really? Mass Effect 2 - 3 ... a series of wasted opportunities...

Rant mode over .... :D

You two are preaching to the choir (well half of one anyway) I agree with practically everything said (although I do like some of the characters, well one of them anyway (Mordin, Garrus doesn't count as he was in 1 as well) but again good characters in a bioware game isn't something I praise anymore) although I do have to mention that for all its faults at least it doesn't have shoehorned in multiplayer with some contrived reason for it being there (and not being entirely optional like they said it would before release) or one of the worst fucking endings in (possibly) video game history (the extended cut DID NOT fix anything.)

ME2 is actually quite impressive for what it is, but it will always be an enormous disappointment for what it isn't, and what it isn't is a true, faithful sequel to the original game. Not as outrageously unfaithful as DA2, but far enough. It was definitely the start of the decline of the series as far as I'm concerned. And it was the start of the decline of BioWare. They simply don't make the kind of games they used to any more, which means they don't make the kind of games I want to play any more.

Andromeda - and anything else they make - is going to have to do something exceptional to make me consider it.

For me personally even something exceptional won't make me consider it, I'm done with anything with the EA logo on it. Besides, it's EA they won't do anything ground breaking or exceptional with it, it'll probably have some more shoehorned in multiplayer but this time with a pay to win system as well as have its main story carved up into bits and sold to us for more money (it'll be £60 at release and probably have 3 more £20 "DLCs" that are just carved off parts of the story.)

Romance

You know what would be great for romance? Go back to ME1 style, now that was worth seeing more than the bra and panty lets just rub each other with 'pretty' music in the background. DAI was actually entertaining when it came to the romance, surprisingly. Laughed my ass off with Iron Bull. Doubt MEA will be any good though. Probably be like DAO. Bleh! Yet if they're serious about claiming to work harder on characters and stuff then maybe it....won't...be.....too....

puking_brian.gif

like most of their recent 'games'.

the only thing people care about in a bioware game are the companions It doesn't matter if their story is shit and gameplay mediocre as long as bioware keeps focusing on their characters their games will sell.

Yeah but saying a Bioware game has good characters is like saying the sky is blue (sort of, if you live anywhere else other than Scotland) so its failed to really be a selling point for me.

I never said bioware had good character and I personally don't like the vast majority of the characters they make and that primarily do to the sycophantic nature of their characters

the only thing people care about in a bioware game are the companions It doesn't matter if their story is shit and gameplay mediocre as long as bioware keeps focusing on their characters their games will sell.

Anything sells nowadays, just make sure it has graphics and you can basicaly sell any turd...and also biowares characters are the reason why i stoped buying their last games.

They think making a game with sex scenes, bedding every <insert orientation here>sexual makes a game look mature, but the way they do it looks silly to me, even out of place sometimes, still they sell like you said and thats probably the reason why i cant get over them, since thats their only purpose, it slowly looks like a bedding simulator.

Now everytime i see a bioware character, i immediately remember Kinsie from SR4 punching my character when i "romance" her, so we dont loose time and get right to the fucking.

IMO whats wrong with Bioware games is that have a blueprint that they (Bioware) refuse to deviate from. So instead of not knowing whats in store or what to expect we already know from each and every other Bioware title exactly what we are going to get. The only thing new that we actually do get are the reduction in features such as mod tools, skill trees, character classes the loss of larger environment's and so on and it is all packaged up and sold to public as streamlining. Leave it to EA to screw us and call it a feature

tumblr_n4g8cgCuBt1sj12u8o1_1280.jpg

Yeah but saying a Bioware game has good characters is like saying the sky is blue (sort of, if you live anywhere else other than Scotland) so its failed to really be a selling point for me.

I never said bioware had good character and I personally don't like the vast majority of the characters they make and that primarily do to the sycophantic nature of their characters

Anything sells nowadays, just make sure it has graphics and you can basicaly sell any turd...and also biowares characters are the reason why i stoped buying their last games.

They think making a game with sex scenes, bedding every <insert orientation here>sexual makes a game look mature, but the way they do it looks silly to me, even out of place sometimes, still they sell like you said and thats probably the reason why i cant get over them, since thats their only purpose, it slowly looks like a bedding simulator.

Now everytime i see a bioware character, i immediately remember Kinsie from SR4 punching my character when i "romance" her, so we dont loose time and get right to the fucking.

IMO whats wrong with Bioware games is that have a blueprint that they (Bioware) refuse to deviate from. So instead of not knowing whats in store or what to expect we already know from each and every other Bioware title exactly what we are going to get. The only thing new that we actually do get are the reduction in features such as mod tools, skill trees, character classes the loss of larger environment's and so on and it is all packaged up and sold to public as streamlining. Leave it to EA to screw us and call it a feature

tumblr_n4g8cgCuBt1sj12u8o1_1280.jpg

I know you didn't say that their characters where good but a lot of people (myself included, even if it only extends to Garrus, Wrex, Mordin, HK-47 and Varric) think their characters are good, however I still refuse to use that as a reason for a bioware game to be good. Also that chart is kinda out dated.

ya the chart out of date it was the only one I could find.. and I'm sorry if I came across a little offense about the characters. it's find if you or anyone for that matter like their characters I don't care. people like what they like no offense meant. (I Iike morinth which is apparently enough of a reason to call me a horrible person) . But from my point of view bioware use the same characters archetype over and over so most of their characters feel the same to me  but a lot of people I've talked to about bioware games usually take the conversation towards the characters and romance which is fine if that what draws to their game cool whatever. but for me the gameplay matters more than story or characters and that's one place bioware usually come up short.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahem  ;). Well, i came across the first game on the 360 as it was discounted on the store and had no idea what i was buying really. I loved the first one and the second to a slightly lesser extent. The third was kinda more of the same as 2 imho and i didnt like the endings (i never played the reworked ones) but i read that Bioware always said it was going to be a trilogy. Im kinda looking forward to the new one and hope that is more open world than the previous offerings. I do hope they allow us to choose play a female character as in the previous games!

:D

Some people dont really understand the concept of Mass Effect being a Space Opera. I'm looking forward to seeing the game and it's story, however it turns out.

But naturally I'm also looking forward to what happens when it gets put through the loverslab ringer. <3

Some people dont really understand the concept of Mass Effect being a Space Opera. I'm looking forward to seeing the game and it's story, however it turns out.

But naturally I'm also looking forward to what happens when it gets put through the loverslab ringer. <3

EA doesn't let people mod their games, supposedly sims 4 is an exception but they still really limited what players can do. Don't expect much from LL.

EA doesn't let people mod their games, supposedly sims 4 is an exception but they still really limited what players can do. Don't expect much from LL.

EA likes to force unfinished games out the door for a quick buck too. Not to mention the mass amounts of pointless lackluster high priced DLC, pointless multiplayer modes, and DRM.

----------------

Sims 4 is very strict on modding compared to the other Sim games. Heck you have to be online just to see/use them!

----------------

Speaking of rushed pieces of crap can't wait for the epic fail Battlefront 2015.

----------------

Sims 4 is very strict on modding compared to the other Sim games. Heck you have to be online just to see/use them!

----------------

... WOW... yeah... That turned me off more than the other things people complained about.

Fuck EA!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm concerned about our decisions in ME1-3. What was the right ones? Do they carry over?

Was it right to cure the genophage? Was it right to make the Geth and Quarians work together? Will we finally see the Quarians outside their suits like how Tali said it's looking possible in a matter of time? Was it right to give the Rachni another chance? You I'm concerned about that, what was right, what carries over if anything.

Sucks we're stuck playing the lame human again. Bleh!

None of the decisions mattered at the end anyway.

As far as i know this is going to be different galaxy and wont have anything to do with what happened in ME1-3, maybe there will be some mentions, but i doubt as they want to start over again probably.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=mass+effect+andromeda

So the new Mass Effect was a bit shown off. OFC they showed a scripted fake trailer to build false hype but what else would you expect from EAxis. Apparently you'll be exploring a variety of worlds in this one and rumor has it you seek a new world for humanity to build on or some lame thing. Either way we now know what the next Mass Effect's title is and what it may look like.

Can you explane why trailer seems fake to you? Someone did that decent looking expensive trailer just for lulz? Or it is just another point to falme at EAxis "EAxis are soo baad... they f!@#cked up SIms, DAO, ME"

C'mon D. D. chill out  :shy:

E3 videos are usually scripted and fake to build hype and never show the real game. Not everyone is honest there, M$ when showing off the XB1 at E3 2013, they used PCs to play the games and not the XB1s. As if they didn't even have hope for their console. So scripted trailers and not using their own products kind of makes you question the point in these types of events, if it's all just schemes. You can at least spot the fake stuff sometimes, like Battlefront 2015 and MEA trailer. Just watch when the games come out how fake those videos were. It always happens with the majority.

• 7 months later...
Guest ...failure

I played all ME series... Looking forward to the 4th. Unfortunately it will be out next year :(

This is not "that Mass Effect" :(

Archived