Sexlab Aroused Redux December 05 2016

I installed the latest version but in the MCM it still says it's v15. Something wrong ?

(install and uninstall properly with NMM)

You almost certainly have some loose files left over.  Either clean you data\scripts folder of sla*.pex (not the slave tats ones if you have that mod) or remove the bsa version and install the loose one.

I just updated the home page with a list of the files that Redux installs.  Check the "Upgrade" section near the bottom.

I was thinking about the problem of NPCs having arousal fade when left alone for a long time. A solution may be to note when they were last scanned by arousal, and if it has been 5+ days, then have a chance to "reroll" arousal as if this was the first encounter. That would simulate NPCs getting action while the PC is away. I can't really imagine that no one in Whiterun is getting any action just because the PC spent a month on quests in other locations before coming back to a visit.

Alternative suggestion, go by days since last orgasm rather than since last update. Would probably want to be able to check if the NPC is wearing a chastity belt using this option, otherwise you can get strange results. ;)

I installed the latest version but in the MCM it still says it's v15. Something wrong ?

You almost certainly have some loose files left over.  Either clean you data\scripts folder of sla*.pex (not the slave tats ones if you have that mod) or remove the bsa version and install the loose one.

I just updated the home page with a list of the files that Redux installs.  Check the "Upgrade" section near the bottom.

I have the same problem.

I updated the v16 --> v16a and now in MCM menu the number is 15.

no old scripts present in the scripts folder (I used a Mod Manager)

..and I noticed another thing: the aroused active-effect (positive and negative magic buff %) is gone.

I was thinking about the problem of NPCs having arousal fade when left alone for a long time. A solution may be to note when they were last scanned by arousal, and if it has been 5+ days, then have a chance to "reroll" arousal as if this was the first encounter. That would simulate NPCs getting action while the PC is away. I can't really imagine that no one in Whiterun is getting any action just because the PC spent a month on quests in other locations before coming back to a visit.

Alternative suggestion, go by days since last orgasm rather than since last update. Would probably want to be able to check if the NPC is wearing a chastity belt using this option, otherwise you can get strange results. ;)

It seems that things are on a rampage of misinterpretation, and I can't help feeling a bit guilty about that by explaining the maths behind the timerate curve. What you are proposing as solution in fact simulates exactly the opposite of what you suggest it does. Setting a minimum for timerate simulates that the whole population of Skyrim is apparently incapable of keeping themselves satisfied when the PC is not around :)

Once again: timerate = sexual addiction, it is simulating the effect of having more sex than what is healthy. It is not simulating normal arousal. That is what exposure is for.

I downloaded the version 16 loose files and packed the scripts into a BSA.  Then installed this BSA instead of the 16a BSA version.  In game the MCM correctly reports version 16.  I then replaced that with the 16a BSA version.  In game, it reports as Version 15.  It isn't a loose script overriding the BSA version.  You might want to double check the script you have packed in the BSA which reports version number, because I think it's reporting the wrong version. 

It seems that things are on a rampage of misinterpretation, and I can't help feeling a bit guilty about that by explaining the maths behind the timerate curve. What you are proposing as solution in fact simulates exactly the opposite of what you suggest it does. Setting a minimum for timerate simulates that the whole population of Skyrim is apparently incapable of keeping themselves satisfied when the PC is not around :)

Once again: timerate = sexual addiction, it is simulating the effect of having more sex than what is healthy. It is not simulating normal arousal. That is what exposure is for.

No, you misunderstand me. For example, when you initially meet Belethor for the first time, he gets some random values for the arousal variables. Now if you don't see him for 30 days (maybe you found cidhna mines far too captivating) and then finally make your way back to Whiterun, Belethor's arousal would then be calculated as if his time was spent at a monestary. I was just suggesting if Aroused could make note of this long time lapse, there should be a chance that his arousal is reset to a new random variables, just like what was done on the initial encounter. So poor Belethor won't have to check into a monestary every time the PC is away. This way it will appear that Belethor can actually find fun on his own without the PC's help.

I downloaded the version 16 loose files and packed the scripts into a BSA.  Then installed this BSA instead of the 16a BSA version.  In game the MCM correctly reports version 16.  I then replaced that with the 16a BSA version.  In game, it reports as Version 15.  It isn't a loose script overriding the BSA version.  You might want to double check the script you have packed in the BSA which reports version number, because I think it's reporting the wrong version. 

You are right, somehow I forgot to update the bsa directory as two files in it had different dates (older) than the loose directory,

Thanks so much, can't believe I missed that.

OK, so let's say timerate is sexual addiction.  (I'd have to tend disagree, 0-10 is supposedly "Healthy", not everybody at 0.  Average person does get more aroused over time, not just due to exposure)  If you really want to "fake" NPC's satisfying themselves when the PC isn't around, then perhaps the "fix" isn't a minimum for timerate, but simulating that NPC's have sex lives when the PC isn't around, as far as arousal goes.  Assume you (can) keep track of when an NPC was last scanned.  If it's been longer than a tunable threshold, (default 0 days, which means it doesn't happen at all)  do a rough simulation where the NPC has sex on it's own every tunable hours (default 24) if it's arousal (time rate based only) crosses a tunable threshold.  (i.e. just do a check if NPC has arousal high enough to cross the "auto sex" threshold every 24 hours between last update and now, updating time rate/last orgasm if it is high enough that day.  Early exit if it's trending downward and below the threshold.)

So, NPC's that are addicted to sex, will likely still be at least somewhat addicted to sex after long intervals.  (Note, the calculation could probably be expensive, so probably want to time slice it so only 1 NPC gets the full update per update.)

(An alternative faster method for NPC's that haven't been updated in over a tunable length, would probably just be to keep the "stored" (or perhaps last scanned?) time rate, but simply update the last orgasm to a day or so ago, pretty much simulating that NPC's maintain their addiction completely in the absence of the PC, which may be an equally valid option.  Perhaps it should be an option for which type of "long absence" update logic is used.  Decay, Simulated Satisfaction, pure maintain.)

As pointed out, the current system simulates they all behave like monks while the PC is away, regardless of how addicted they may have been when the PC left.  It certainly does *not* simulate them being able to satisfy themselves.  It simulates they've taken a vow of celibacy.  I'd be inclined to argue just about any suggested option, (even a complete reroll) is better than the enforced celibacy option.

(edit:  Not a big fan of math, so my calculations may be wrong, but for somebody having sex 2 times a week, (which is a healthy normal amount), using the default numbers, of 5 increase from orgasm, then timerate is increasing by 2.8571... every 2 days.  With a thirdlife of 2 days, that's going to reach equilibrium at a timerate of 8.571... (max), which is therefor precisely the healthy timerate level.  Not 0.   Don't really feel like doing the exact math, but I'd guesstimate that means the "default" arousal threshold for the auto sex version would be somewhere around 14 to maintain "healthy" activity as a floor.)

Have a piercing from a mod that blocks exposure. I set the poll rate super low, the npcs arousal didn't change, took off that piercing, skyrocket.

Piercing doesn't show up in the 'Custom Armor' tab, and looking at the esp they aren't marked clothing - well clothingRing, armorJewelery, but that's the same as other jewelery I was wearing that didn't block, what are the flags slaroused looks for?

Maybe as a debug tool add whether the player or targeted npc is considered naked for sla in the stats tab?

Have a piercing from a mod that blocks exposure. I set the poll rate super low, the npcs arousal didn't change, took off that piercing, skyrocket.

Piercing doesn't show up in the 'Custom Armor' tab, and looking at the esp they aren't marked clothing - well clothingRing, armorJewelery, but that's the same as other jewelery I was wearing that didn't block, what are the flags slaroused looks for?

Maybe as a debug tool add whether the player or targeted npc is considered naked for sla in the stats tab?

Interesting.  Was worried that unexpected items might block, so I checked the list and noticed an armband on one of my followers showing up, but at least it showed up.  (and I added it's slot (59) to the slots females strip for foreplay, so foreplay would be arousing for those around).   Pretty broken that something that doesn't even show up in the list could block.  Haven't really looked into slaves yet, I half expect that stocks or gags, (or maybe even piercings) are blocking, but I assumed they would have shown up if they did.... if blocking stuff can actually simply not show up at all, that's... ugh.

edit:  Is it possible the NPC turned in between tests?  After a marathon session with my followers, I noticed one of 'em hadn't gotten aroused, and she was the only one facing 180 away from the action.  It's possible the LOS check isn't just a check for obstructions like walls/furniture, but actually tests if the target is in some sort of view cone.  (Which, if true, I'd be inclined to suggest is yet another argument in favor of removing LOS check from NPC arousal, assuming it currently does use LOS)  I'd be inclined to argue that being in the view cone is *far* too concrete for NPC arousal that's only being checked periodically.  It *needs* to be more abstract than that.

edit2:  Yep, just tested and there definitely seems to be a view cone check for NPC's, not just an LOS check.  (and I think it's based on their head direction, not body direction.)  Not sure you really want a view cone check for the PC on something like this that's being polled fairly rarely.  Definitely not for the NPC's.  So, option to lose the LOS check on NPC's, as well as an option for losing it on PC as well.  (Now *there*'s an optimization for you)

edit2:  Yep, just tested and there definitely seems to be a view cone check for NPC's, not just an LOS check.  (and I think it's based on their head direction, not body direction.)  Not sure you really want a view cone check for the PC on something like this that's being polled fairly rarely.  Definitely not for the NPC's.  So, option to lose the LOS check on NPC's, as well as an option for losing it on PC as well.  (Now *there*'s an optimization for you)

LOS in Skyrim world always involves a view cone, that's not optional, and indeed it's based on head direction (as well as race but it should be the same for all playable races afaik, some critters might have a wider or narrower cone though).

If you really want to "fake" NPC's satisfying themselves when the PC isn't around, then perhaps the "fix" isn't a minimum for timerate, but simulating that NPC's have sex lives when the PC isn't around, as far as arousal goes.

The 'fix' is for NPCs to have sex, and that just isn't SLAs job. If SLA starts faking sex acts because the player doesn't feel like installing mods that make sex happen, it loses its usefulness as a generalized tool to track arousal. SLA is a facilitator for other mods, it doesn't make sex happen, and faking it would not increase realism but reduce it and make SLA unreliable for the very purpose it was created for: to track arousal.

As pointed out, the current system simulates they all behave like monks while the PC is away, regardless of how addicted they may have been when the PC left.

No it doesn't simulate that, it tracks that. The fact is that unless you install a mod that changes it, the NPCs do behave like monks, and it's neither SLA's fault nor is it its job to change that.

The 'fix' is for NPCs to have sex, and that just isn't SLAs job. If SLA starts faking sex acts because the player doesn't feel like installing mods that make sex happen, it loses its usefulness as a generalized tool to track arousal. SLA is a facilitator for other mods, it doesn't make sex happen, and faking it would not increase realism but reduce it and make SLA unreliable for the very purpose it was created for: to track arousal.

Excellent summary of SLA Beamer.  I'd say you pretty much grok this shit.

If you really want to "fake" NPC's satisfying themselves when the PC isn't around, then perhaps the "fix" isn't a minimum for timerate, but simulating that NPC's have sex lives when the PC isn't around, as far as arousal goes.

As pointed out, the current system simulates they all behave like monks while the PC is away, regardless of how addicted they may have been when the PC left.

No it doesn't simulate that, it tracks that. The fact is that unless you install a mod that changes it, the NPCs do behave like monks, and it's neither SLA's fault nor is it its job to change that.

I understand what you are saying, but it seems more bizarre to require an SLA support mod whose sole purpose is to fake unloaded cell sex just so SLA returns rational sex addiction for NPC's who haven't been in a loaded cell for a while.  (I'd assume NPC's in unloaded cells have a very primitive amount of simulating being done on them, assuming they do any simulating at all.)  We aren't talking about faking sex in loaded cells, where there *are* tons of mods that can get sex to happen.  We're talking about faking sex in unloaded cells, where there aren't any mods that (as far as I'm aware) *can* get sex to happen.  (and heck, can you imagine how badly it would kill papyrus if it was possible to expand the sex mods to encampass all of skyrim?  There's a reason most of 'em have a max radius, and don't even do the entire loaded cells.)

That said, modify "days" used in calculating decay of addiction to "days actually updated" would probably work fairly well, w/o having to "simulate sex".

I understand what you are saying, but it seems more bizarre to require an SLA support mod whose sole purpose is to fake unloaded cell sex just so SLA returns rational sex addiction for NPC's who haven't been in a loaded cell for a while.  (I'd assume NPC's in unloaded cells have a very primitive amount of simulating being done on them, assuming they do any simulating at all.)  We aren't talking about faking sex in loaded cells, where there *are* tons of mods that can get sex to happen.  We're talking about faking sex in unloaded cells, where there aren't any mods that (as far as I'm aware) *can* get sex to happen.  (and heck, can you imagine how badly it would kill papyrus if it was possible to expand the sex mods to encampass all of skyrim?  There's a reason most of 'em have a max radius, and don't even do the entire loaded cells.)

That said, modify "days" used in calculating decay of addiction to "days actually updated" would probably work fairly well, w/o having to "simulate sex".

SLA doesn't require such a mod, it's you who wants such a mod :)  Personally I'd think it a waste of resources, it's not like I actually remember what the arousal was of the people in Whiterun if I haven't visited it for a month, nor would I expect to be able to predict it if so much time had passed. As far as I'm concerned any state is as meaningful as any other if I cannot predict it.

NPCs in unloaded cells are not simulated at all really, however when I said you needed a mod that does this, I didn't necesarily mean the mod actually had to animate sex. It just needs to change the exposure and timerate numbers of the NPCs so that it appears as if they had sex, something which is perfectly possible (and probably wouldn't cost an unacceptable amount of papyrus time if you designed it well). Afaik there is at least one mod that does this, as it makes your spouse look for lovers if you don't keep them satisfied (long time since I used it, I think the name was Lover's Comfort?). There are of course plenty of other mods that do the same for the PC or followers (like DD plugs). Other mods could do the same thing for NPCs in unloaded cells, changing the SLA values for an NPC does not require them to be in a loaded area.

The fact that no such mod exists for the general NPC population of Skyrim is not at all because it is technically impossible, it's just because nobody so far has cared enough to put their time into it. Sounds like you're the perfect person to change that!

Solution... Enter the cell you have not been to in ages, go around stripping the NPC, wait about an hour (game time), then everyone's arousal will be up, so you can get the party started, if you really are into all that... (console command removeallitems I think it was)

I just presume they have a healthy sex life, as if they got laid every few nights, keeping their arousal as satisfied, so I can work on the male I like most.

This can never feasibly be made realistic.  In real life, one would expect any NPC in the game to have had sex at one point or another, whether or not the PC ever visited there.  Keeping track of all this shit would be a monumental waste of resources.  Redux is designed to have a minimal impact on your system.  Another modder could use the SLA factions and modify these values and that mod could be loaded by users with more robust PCs. 

Furthermore, the premise of SLA is not at all realistic to begin with.  I mean, I get aroused when I see a hot woman.  That arousal goes away when she goes away.  My arousal does not decay over time no does my ability to get aroused.  SLA is just a means to an end and it will never be realistic.  That will require something completely different.

Also, I am never going to add any code that significantly impacts the resources consumed by Redux because that is the whole point of this mod.

Also, I am never going to add any code that significantly impacts the resources consumed by Redux because that is the whole point of this mod.

I remember that you told me that there is no console command to change the default time rate, which all NPCs are set to when the decay rate is 0, but would adding code to change it by the MCM cause any resource problems? Also, are there any computation errors (div by 0, for instance) or resource issues that require that all NPCs have the same time rate if decay rate is 0? I don't know, so I am asking.

Furthermore, the premise of SLA is not at all realistic to begin with.  I mean, I get aroused when I see a hot woman.  That arousal goes away when she goes away.  My arousal does not decay over time no does my ability to get aroused. 

To be honest, I was actually thinking much the same thing, that there should be a separate thirdlife (or even halflife) measured in hours for exposure arousal.  I'd have to disagree with it *instantly* going away though.  Some of us may still be featuring her in our imaginations some time later.

But yeah, arousal from exposure should probably climb much quicker, but also drop much quicker.

(and I'd point out that sla as implemented doesn't decay the ability to get aroused from exposure, it decays your ability to get aroused simply because it's been a while since you last had sex.  Which I suspect is relatively realistic.  The problem is, as stated, is if you're going to simulate that decay, then you probably should also simulate unloaded NPC's having sex, because normally people don't go cold turkey for long periods of time.  And without both aspects, you end up with a badly behaving simulation.  It's like trying to simulate plane flight when you're simulating gravity but not lift.)

Solution... Enter the cell you have not been to in ages, go around stripping the NPC, wait about an hour (game time), then everyone's arousal will be up, so you can get the party started, if you really are into all that... (console command removeallitems I think it was)

I just presume they have a healthy sex life, as if they got laid every few nights, keeping their arousal as satisfied, so I can work on the male I like most.

If you're going to break out the cheat stick, it's far simpler to just target each person and cheat their exposure up.  Which is pretty much what getting 'em naked will do, without having to wait an hour and hope they're actually in each others view cone.

That said, I think if some of the issues with exposure were fixed, (LOS removed, max exposure rate increased (and exposure decay increased as well), and/or somehow doing a broadcast exposure increase when somebody climaxes), that would make things less silly.

But still.  It's fairly bizarre that you pop into a town for some reason  (say you have a delivery quest to a town you haven't been to, and only stay long enough to make that delivery), then when you finally get around to that town "proper", nobody is actually getting aroused over time unless there's somebody nude in front of 'em.  That's not normal.

Though, it does suggest some sort of real romance mod that has flirt options that simply increase arousal, as opposed to the current "Romance" mod that, as far as I'm aware, *is* the want sex/get sex mod it claims not to be.  Just that the "get sex" odds isn't 100%, but is based off a bunch of variables.  ('Course, I suppose one could argue the point that it condenses the whole flirtation into a single dialog choice.  If you fail, it's simulating your hour or whatever of flirtation failed.  'course, IIRC that mod doesn't even have sla as a dependency, which likely means existing arousal *isn't* one of the things taken into account.)

I never break out the "cheat stick" in that, like I said, I just act like they have all been busy since I was away...

But I do like the aspects you are discussing, about arousal.

I know my husband well, I walk through the house with my bath towel, he sees me, gets aroused, after I had gotten dressed, and walk back in, he isn't sporting a tent, but a little while later, his tent is back as he watches me at the dinner table, and casually it turns out he was thinking about me in that bath towel again. So a more realistic approach would be to have random jumps in arousal, as if that person was thinking about someone sexy, or something they did with their lover the night before... Sort of thing...

And if the mod option I mentioned to have the arousal modified by clothing types comes into existence, tho a bit resource heavier, would work far better in my game, so that way the Aroused Creatures, won't see me as Naked and try to top me when I walk past, tho the towns folk would see my sexy 92-98% skin showing bikini as super sexy, causing other arousal mods to fire off more frequently. Speaking of arousal mods, are there any decent arousal mods, that allow aroused NPCs with relationships to actually approach each other so they can have sex? Don't like random sex mods, that have no true functionality, other than to put on a show...

All of these "true arousal" proposals have a serious drawback in that they would be (by necessity) script intensive which is why this simple arousal system in this mod is likely to be the only arousal system that lasts.

That said, there is one simple improvement that can be made to the mod which is to not start every NPC at zero arousal. That way a town isn't completely devoid of any sexual activity when you first visit it and you don't have to kick it off yourself by parading nude until enough people are aroused to get things going.

By setting up a MCM menu the users could control the initial arousal levels for all NPCs, allowing for a everyone starts at 0 as it is now to a everyone starts at 100.

Setting up three arousal levels (Low, Medium and High) where each level has a distribution number (LowDist, MedDist and HighDist) between 0 and 9 and a minimum and maximum value (LowMin, MedMin, HighMin, LowMax, MedMax and HighMax).

So for each new NPC you'd first calculate what arousal level they'll be assigned to by taking the sum of (TotDist = LowDist + MedDist + HighDist) and getting a random number (RanDist) between 1 and TotDist. If RanDist <= LowDist then assign a low arousal, if RanDist <= (LowDist + MedDist) then assign a medium arousal otherwise assign a high arousal.

Just an idea on how to make arousals seem more random and thus realistic while keeping the code simple enough that it still runs quickly without inducing a large overhead on the game.

IIRC Lovers comfort will trigger sex between couples, but I believe it's independent of arousal.  (i.e. walk into a house/inn/palace at night and married couples there may be going at it.  I'm not much of a thief though, so I've mostly only seen it in the Jarls's residences.)  TDF prostitution will only trigger sex between a prostitute and client if the clients arousal is above a certain threshold, but there is no relationship factor.  And you need a house in the town in order to have some autoworking prostitutes.

IIRC More Nasty Critters will tunably only trigger creature attacks if over a certain arousal threshold, but as far as I know, that's only creatures. (careful though, from what I could tell some of the parts require DLC.  IIRC had to disable some)  I'm not sure if it'll trigger a human on human attack if arousal is high enough.  And, of course, it doesn't take into account relationships.

The "Random Sex Mod for SexLab" would probably be a great starting point for something like this though.  Presumably just be some additional filters when setting up matches.  (and it looks like you've already been in that mods thread, so hopefully maybe something will come of that)

That said, there is one simple improvement that can be made to the mod which is to not start every NPC at zero arousal. That way a town isn't completely devoid of any sexual activity when you first visit it and you don't have to kick it off yourself by parading nude until enough people are aroused to get things going.

NPCs don't start at 0. They start with Timerate = 10, and Exposure at a random value between 0 and 50. The first time you come to a new place the arousal of the NPCs will typically range from 0-50.

What are the differences between BeamerMiasma's slamainscr.psc alone and the Slapatch?

I did a quick check earlier and they are the same source files, so if you already compiled my script yourself you shouldn't need to install the patch.

NPCs don't start at 0. They start with Timerate = 10, and Exposure at a random value between 0 and 50. The first time you come to a new place the arousal of the NPCs will typically range from 0-50.

Yep, the problem isn't the first time you show up somewhere.  That's simulated just fine as if they had a healthy sex life prior to your arrival.  The problem is the second time you show up somewhere if either you didn't spend much time getting to know the locals, and/or if you were away for a while.

(Incidentally, I'll take this time to point out that SLA is already in the business of simulating sex for the purpose of arousal.  It's already simulating the sex that goes on before you first get there.  So is it really that big a deal to also simulate the sex that went on since the last visit?  If it didn't want to simulate sex, then exposure and timerate should start off at 0.  Period.)