I made the switch to MO.

Guest emilio

Guest emilio

After NMM crashing for 495th time and ruining my entire skyrim install. I took up MO. It took me a day to figure out the program and get all my mods working again. Now all I have to say is..."HOLY SHIT". I regret every painstaking moment I spent using NMM.

I just switched from Wrye BAIN and I'm loving the functionality of MO (I have the 1.2.4 beta from Tannin's source forge). Unfortunately I have a freeze/ILS issue I have to sort out before I celebrate the switch (posted in Tech Support, unlikely its related to MO).

Enjoy, and if you haven't already tried SKSE 1.7 alpha (with memory patch included) &/or ENB time to add that to the mix.

Guest corespore

Well, congrats on making the switch. There's a slight learning curve at first but once you get it down it will make all those NMM issues feel like a distant nightmare. I switched a while ago and i still can't imagine hesitating to go with MO in the first place. Anyways, if your interested or if someone else might be here's a couple of good MO links.

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/20492-mod-organizer/  

I just switched from Wrye BAIN and I'm loving the functionality of MO (I have the 1.2.4 beta from Tannin's source forge). Unfortunately I have a freeze/ILS issue I have to sort out before I celebrate the switch (posted in Tech Support, unlikely its related to MO).

Enjoy, and if you haven't already tried SKSE 1.7 alpha (with memory patch included) &/or ENB time to add that to the mix.

I've been using Wrye exclusively since Oblivion... does MO do everything Wrye does?

I'm not feeling a strong desire to move or change, just curious since you seem to know Wrye.

Yes, and more, and that's saying a lot because I love Wrye/BAIN and swore I'd never switch. You can even launch Wrye through MO and use its mods tab for making patches & its saves tab for reviewing plugins included in saves.

If you decide to switch you can copy or move your mod archives (7.zip or whatever) from their Wrye directory (skyrim\skyrim mods, if I remember correctly) into the MO "downloads" directory. You then need to launch MO and use its "downloads" tab to individually install each mod, but that allows you to launch their "wizards" if applicable. For more on all that check out STEP forum and their MO support threads, or the MO htread right here in the Lab.

Re- Load Order: LOOT is built right in as the default "sorter", just push a button.

Re- Overwrites: Still figuring that out myself, but MO will guide you through drag & drop (or automated) mod install order to solve many overwrite issues. The "conflicts" tab lets you select individual textures and such by specific mod and "hide" the ones you don't want overwriting others.

tl;dr

It's both easy to use and very powerful & loaded with features. Switch, you'll be glad you did.

Do you need to worry about load order with MO? Would have to repackage a few nexus mods cause the file structure the author zipped won't work in MO.

Most of the time no. You can right click on the "data" folder in the mod regardless of where it is in the mod you are using and right click and "select data" option and it will use that folder as the data folder. No repacking needed. Sometimes if there are many options or scripts and such to install there might be some issues. There are also issue with ways to install and set up exe. There is info out there for Skyrim for most issues you could ever encounter.

I haven't quite brought myself to do the MO (experimented a little while back), but I am solid in trying it out next time I exterminate and rebuild my install. I've been happy with wrye, but the profile ability of MO is the main feature that will force me to change.

NMM sucks ass.

Do you need to worry about load order with MO? Would have to repackage a few nexus mods cause the file structure the author zipped won't work in MO.

Most of the time no. You can right click on the "data" folder in the mod regardless of where it is in the mod you are using and right click and "select data" option and it will use that folder as the data folder. No repacking needed. Sometimes if there are many options or scripts and such to install there might be some issues. There are also issue with ways to install and set up exe. There is info out there for Skyrim for most issues you could ever encounter.

I meant I try to install a few mods in MO and it tells me it can't install them cause the folder tree isnt correct. Like http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/2488 has the data folder that would just be dropped in but it also has an options folder that prevents MO from 'installing' the mod. A few of the mods I have saved are like that.

I to am a OLD wrye user from the earley oblivion days and just switched this week to MO

( thanks to all the people that would not shut up about MO ) LOL... no really..you can't talk about modding without

someone bringing up MO!

but thats a good thing, the Mo people know about it the MO people will switch to it :)

perfect example for why its a must use tool.

If you want to try Krista's new Demonica mod on a new charactor and you also have a male charactor save that you play,

IF you are using NMM, manual install or even Wyre Bash, when you switch back to your male charactor he WILL have a female body ?

and he will use female animations ?? (not a pretty thing to see)

that however is not a problem with MO, just disable that mod for your male charactors profile <---is why I switched to MO.

harddrive that Steam is installed to getting full because of games and mods ?

tell MO to use a different harddrive for the mod downloads folder and the mod install folder

I love wrye bash but I don't miss it, actually I still use it for bash patches, just through MO

ps. to all the MO preachers...Thank You

I meant I try to install a few mods in MO and it tells me it can't install them cause the folder tree isnt correct. Like http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/2488 has the data folder that would just be dropped in but it also has an options folder that prevents MO from 'installing' the mod. A few of the mods I have saved are like that.

Just uncheck what you aren't going to install and keep right clicking the top level of what you are going to install and choosing "set data directory" until the green "looks good" message comes up.

Worst case scenerion is just making and naming a new folder then putting what you what into it then zipping it with 7zip. That takes 2 minutes or less.

I've been using MO since December now. And it's been SOOOoooo much better than using NMM or doing manual installs. There is just so much MO can do, then toss in the fact that I've been keeping a clean install for several months without a need to reinstall Skyrim (I did, but only because my PC got a workover :P).