Regarding the Elder Scrolls: Online...

Sεraphim

What Do You Think About TES:O?  

484 members have voted

1. 1. If your answer is other, feel free to explain it in a forum post!

• I think it will be amazing! Probably the best MMO of the decade!
    • I think it will be alright. I'm sure it will be entertaining for a bit.
    • I don't think it will be that great, but I'm still going to try it.
    • I'm not looking forward to it.
    • I don't play MMOs.
    • Other...

I trust the elder scrolls name. Maybe too much. But I am willing to give this game a chance. Maybe because I never happened to play any MMO titles before. Or happened to be completely dissatisfied with Diablo 3 beta and release. That was the biggest disappointment I have experienced in a game. I have been playing Elder Scrolls since Oblivion I am simply going to give the game a try because of what I have experienced nothing but excellence from their series. 

The problem is Tesonline don't follow the lores at all..... I mean...Morrowind?....Gothowind! Huge stupid building with mixed japanese and ghotic european building with red windows!!! Everything in morrowind is red!!!! And mushrooms tall like  sequoia the dweomer ruins are totally equal to the ones on Skyrim -__-..... And i don't even mention Summerset isle...

No seriuosly say Tes online is a game based on tes Lores is like say Matrix is based on tolkien.....It dosn't even follow the lores.... Alll is GENERIC and also BLAND....YOu expect an open world on tamriel?...

Sheogorath voice: WROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG

In fact you visit only just some place taken from the various Tamriel realm!

No seriously this game is not tes...Is not even a fun game....is just a scam.....

And they pretend we pay a subscrition fee for that? Yeah sure...... in their dreams maybe..

The worst part is... they say TESO is canon.

Yes you've read that right... CANON

after saying it WASN'T canon.

The problem is Tesonline don't follow the lores at all..... I mean...Morrowind?....Gothowind! Huge stupid building with mixed japanese and ghotic european building with red windows!!! Everything in morrowind is red!!!! And mushrooms tall like  sequoia the dweomer ruins are totally equal to the ones on Skyrim -__-..... And i don't even mention Summerset isle...

No seriuosly say Tes online is a game based on tes Lores is like say Matrix is based on tolkien.....It dosn't even follow the lores.... Alll is GENERIC and also BLAND....YOu expect an open world on tamriel?...

Sheogorath voice: WROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG

In fact you visit only just some place taken from the various Tamriel realm!

No seriously this game is not tes...Is not even a fun game....is just a scam.....

And they pretend we pay a subscrition fee for that? Yeah sure...... in their dreams maybe..

The worst part is... they say TESO is canon.

Yes you've read that right... CANON

after saying it WASN'T canon.

Eh indeed they seems to have a lot of problem with fans...XD

Oh my god this is just pathetic....terrible......

Like crawling in the mirror

first i was full hype mode for teso, but after the first few videos and interviews in the press i lost interest. As the start is comming around, or it has already?:

can anyone tell me in short the difference of teso to other mmos?

preferable to darkfall online and darkfall online unholy wars(only ones i really know well)?

1) Combat(basics, like aim, dodge, press x to win, cast spell, skillusage(player or avatar based))

like Darkfall Online or more like Darkfall Online Unholy Wars? if different how?

2) Open World

like Darkfall Online or like WoW(assuming the Southpark episode was right(never played WoW))?

3) Mobzones

like Darkfall Online or like WoW(assuming the Southpark episode was right)?

4) Free Roam

like DFO or hose level(you cannot climb up or get to anything that you see)?

5) Falldamage

you can die, after falling out of a plane(from a dragons back)?

6) PK

like in DFO(everywhere, except npc capitals) or like themepark mmos(battlezones, pvp instances for each levelrange)

7) Friendly Fire

always on and you need tactics and strategy, or just "red" ones get damaged?

8) Epic Serverwide Battles/Mobfights

Player-/Guildbased Errors that brings a lot of players to one area of the map or GM Events, Sieges, ... , or just like in shaiya the crossserver battles/goddess battles that are on a fixed date.

9) Playstyle

Can i play like i want, pirate who sails the sea in a raft and enters at night smaller boats to kill the crew and take the ship for my fleet. Or close a bridge and demant taxes for crossing? Get hired for help to travel from a to b and on the way move throu cave c to get the treasures there from your contractor with the help of some friends who are waiting there? ...

10) Dungeons and such

Like in DFO, or Instanced/Level limited?

11) Things like the Village capture, Fortress capture, ... in DFO?

12) ... (whatever might differ but i thought is the same as in DFO)

big thanks, to whoever is nice enough.

must not be ordered or quite long, just wanted to have a opinion from someone who knows the other games to get a better feeling and idea of what to expect from it and if i should buy it.

and to the zenimax/beth thing(some posts way back), i can be mistaken and Todd Howard spoke of another online game in the elder scroll universe, when he presented teso the first time. But didn't he say that some devs from beth are also in zeni to make sure that teso keeps it elder scroll feeling? or something similar, as people asked about how they make sure that teso is worth the tes name.

In the end we will see in the credits and after decompiling the list from "artistic names".

I got an invite too and I will check it.

You can't base only on the revievs, angry fans or some movie clips. Gotta read at least few pages and then decide "how this game is gonna look" .

Definitely I wouldn't be buying this game right now, I'll wait for the F2P ( after few months +joy.png)

Guest Ragna_Rok

I got an invite too and I will check it.

You can't base only on the revievs, angry fans or some movie clips. Gotta read at least few pages and then decide "how this game is gonna look" .

now thats interesting... you seem to have a good taste, and you will give it for sure a fair chance even with all the hating going on.... to be honest, im more than interested in and curious about your review of teso. dont forget to pm me once youve posted one here, i dont wanna miss that :)

Since this thread is in danger of becoming a cynical circle-jerk I feel the need to post this less we devolve into intellectual inbreeding.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/experienced-points/10971-The-Surprising-Things-About-Elder-Scrolls-Online

Mmm:

This is not a WoW-clone.

It is. Even some quests are the same...

There's actually some role-playing in it.

No. By definition you can only role play with a human. This guy needs to review his standards.

It's in pretty good shape.

I'm olny playing for 10 minutes and it's already my fourth logout... I'm going do something else for an hour now...

It's got Elder Scrolls style leveling

Ok.

It's got classic Elder Scrolls AI.

Yup. Absolutely NO effort was made in this case. Worst AI ever.

In conclusion:

He's nice. Hard sell is a very polite way to see it...

All right, let's see if they improve after last time but so far it's erm... Not conclusive...

Since this thread is in danger of becoming a cynical circle-jerk I feel the need to post this less we devolve into intellectual inbreeding.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/experienced-points/10971-The-Surprising-Things-About-Elder-Scrolls-Online

Mmm:

This is not a WoW-clone.

It is. Even some quests are the same...

There's actually some role-playing in it.

No. By definition you can only role play with a human. This guy needs to review his standards.

It's in pretty good shape.

I'm olny playing for 10 minutes and it's already my fourth logout... I'm going do something else for an hour now...

It's got Elder Scrolls style leveling

Ok.

It's got classic Elder Scrolls AI.

Yup. Absolutely NO effort was made in this case. Worst AI ever.

In conclusion:

He's nice. Hard sell is a very polite way to see it...

All right, let's see if they improve after last time but so far it's erm... Not conclusive...

I'm not sure what you mean by "By definition you can only role play with a human." Are you saying you don't think you a person can role play as a non human character?

In fairness to Shamus he was expecting it to be a complete mess the fact it didn't trip over it's own shoelaces properly caught him off guard and left him on a positive note.

and again in the name of balance John Walker over at RPS is less thrilled. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/07/hands-on-the-first-few-hours-of-elder-scrolls-online/

Jesus you people are some of the most cynical purist asshats I've ever had the displeasure of reading.

Having tried it, this is my balanced impression.  Hopefully some open-mindedness and honesty will help counteract the, as it was so eloquently put, "cynical circle-jerk" going on in here.

• It's damned pretty was my first real impression.  The architecture is gorgeous.  Everything looks like it belongs to the intended race, or at least matches the feel of the race Bethesda gave in lore over their many solo games.  Not everything necessarily lines up 100% with lore, but nothing sticks out as lore-breaking and everything jives very well.
  • Character creation is simultaneously awesome and awful.  The triangle-slider for build is a fantastic addition, the inclusion of body scars and patterns (though a little limited) is such a meaningful addition for roleplaying and character building, and the options for face generation and hair selection match or exceed what Skyrim is capable of in its vanilla state, which I still content is far underrated by the ECE-addicted beauty-tard masses.
  • Character skills are a big letdown.  There's definitely some flexibility - you aren't shoehorned into a weapon type based on class and there's a few different ways you can take a given class as you level - but it's still very much an MMO character building setup.  No magic schools?  Really?  It's all either Destruction, Conjuration, or Restoration, all shoehorned into one class.  Ball seriously dropped.
  • Quests themselves are standard MMO fare.  You can see they kinda tried to make it a little more TES-y, but it didn't work.
  • In every other way that matters, ESO feels like an MMO, for good and ill.

It's good enough that I'm going to follow it as it goes post-release, but until an F2P announcement I'm not going to bother playing.  Too much PvP orientation, not enough exploring/questing with friends.  Here's hoping they look at what Star Trek Online did during its F2P conversion very hard...

To sum up my cynical previous post, after reading all of the added, beta testing information. 

This game, as like many other MMORPG's previously is a fail. When people inherently start saying they will wait for free to play as a majority after a beta test, the game has defaulted to a fail category. Games in this category are unworthy of my full attention. As previously stated, I saw absolutely nothing within the videos I watched, showcasing 30 minutes of game play within TESO. Which was, absolutely nothing "different" or revolutionary enough to waste my time on. Even with a beta invite, I'd gladly give it to someone with more hard drive space and free time to waste. 

I'd rather watch the Olympic ceremonies. And continue my opinionated bias on RPG's that fail trying to make the Gap Jump above the flag in CTF Unreal Tournament 95' Coret, Instagib. That's right, I go way back. In other words, that shit isn't easy. It takes skill and refined practice. Not something an average company is going to achieve with a simple single player based RPG, deciding to open world launch it and create a competitive MMO. 

I still love Skyrim, but a Skyrim online with ass clowns to deal with, bad design and UI unchanged, not enough design behind a hero creation and a talent tree lacking any addition or refinement? Are they really so stupid they think this plethora of designers creating a better game experience of mods exists because they did it right the first time? Really?

I'd rather actually join a circle jerk and keep my money in my pocket. lol

Angry Joe's impressions:

I fucking love Angry Joe. His take on Guildwars II is what solidified my already large interest to play. But, he summed it up and this play through shows exactly what I thought. It's lamesauce... Intro into derp noobville, not a damn thing other than go fetch/kill this next thing. Screw that nonsense. Glad I didn't bother on an install. 

I fucking love Angry Joe. His take on Guildwars II is what solidified my already large interest to play. But, he summed it up and this play through shows exactly what I thought. It's lamesauce... Intro into derp noobville, not a damn thing other than go fetch/kill this next thing. Screw that nonsense. Glad I didn't bother on an install. 

Agree! This is something I wont play. Not even if I got paid.

had a few rants on previous pages, but deleted them after playing ESO. I feel sorry for the franchise, yes it is that bad. Had to re-install GW2 and binge to cleanse the nausea. It feels dated in almost every way when compared to current products available, don't think the ES moniker will help much. It brings nothing new to the table; design principles and features are very dated, many of which were left for dead a decade ago. There are ten year old games that provide a more robust feature-set. Should still be alpha, and releasing a year from now, not in two months... amateur effort currently.   

Archived