Regarding the Elder Scrolls: Online...

Sεraphim

What Do You Think About TES:O?  

484 members have voted

1. 1. If your answer is other, feel free to explain it in a forum post!

• I think it will be amazing! Probably the best MMO of the decade!
    • I think it will be alright. I'm sure it will be entertaining for a bit.
    • I don't think it will be that great, but I'm still going to try it.
    • I'm not looking forward to it.
    • I don't play MMOs.
    • Other...

***snipped**

Why I am not playing it anymore yet ? It's not because the game is bad, it's more the reason that I am just satisfied with MMOs, because I played them nonstop over ten years. I am pretty glad that the addiction does not hook me anymore.

...and there we come to the big Contra of ESO:

Although it's pretty well made for an MMO and has some sort of unique features it feels like the same old sauce as all other MMOs. It's all about character evolution and improvement and haggling over a few stats.

Sorry...a well made and new coded bloom effect from an ENB preset modder or a well made body texture just gives me more.

Yeah, ESO is most definitely not the worst MMO to come, however it certainly isn't the greatest....it's painfully another average MMO with tired gameplay mechanics from years past just masked.

I stayed neutral to this game ever since its announcement, silently doubting it but never wishing its failure. I'm not sure if the fact that this game turned out exactly how I initially predicted it would is a cause of celebration or not, but I'm glad I waited, because now I can avoid this disaster entirely.

Fantastic review! Everything that he talked about in his article is what I noticed in my beta wknd play times and the reasons why I'll never touch that piece of crap again. Just like Bioware did with SWTOR, Bethesda saw a possible mmo cash cow and made a game that never should have been made, hurts their business reputation, and ruins the story/lore that they built, (at least for me), since Morrowind. 

Fantastic review! Everything that he talked about in his article is what I noticed in my beta wknd play times and the reasons why I'll never touch that piece of crap again. Just like Bioware did with SWTOR, Bethesda saw a possible mmo cash cow and made a game that never should have been made, hurts their business reputation, and ruins the story/lore that they built, (at least for me), since Morrowind. 

Well, Zenimax Online are the ones to blame here not really Bethesda, Bethesda did help here and there on the MMO, but it was mostly all Zenimax's blundering of the game.

Ah well, another MMO bites the dust...

We delay console release by 6months (failed on PC:P) so we make sure you have a perfect experience on your PS4.

If you wanne transfer your character to console. i wonder who on earth and self respected PC gamer want to transfer his character to the inferior console is beyond me, on top of that must buy the game 2 times(this im sure off) prolly also pay 2x 15 $(not sure if this is true seems likely) so he can play on both system WTF?

Is it this easy to scam people getting there money?... buying the game 2 times and 2x 15$ so they can play on both platforms if this is not money grab (scam) i dunno anymore.

Got to respect in away these grabbing $$$ bastards :P

We delay console release by 6months (failed on PC:P) so we make sure you have a perfect experience on your PS4.

If you wanne transfer your character to console. i wonder who on earth and self respected PC gamer want to transfer his character to the inferior console is beyond me, on top of that must buy the game 2 times(this im sure off) prolly also pay 2x 15 $(not sure if this is true seems likely) so he can play on both system WTF?

Is it this easy to scam people getting there money?... buying the game 2 times and 2x 15$ so they can play on both platforms if this is not money grab (scam) i dunno anymore.

Got to respect in away these grabbing $$$ bastards :P

I've seen it many times already before; people who are largely PC gamers are basically being told by retail dealers locally that only elitists and douchebags play PC and that console is the only way to go.  Of course this is at the local Walmart and they are usually met with my very angry stare followed by, "console developers aren't saints either; need I remind you of day one DLC and content already installed on a disk behind a pay wall?"  Also tiny little features in new titles that are only available on console.  I learned this not long ago; Diablo 3 RoS console version has a jump function.  This is excluded from the PC version not to mention D3RoS has an offline option while D3RoS needs to be always be online.

It's pretty plain what big game corporate wants; get a console fuck your PC.  Well I got bad news for them; I'm a stubborn son-of-a-bitch.  The only way you're taking my PC away from me is prying it out of my cold dead fingers.  I'll never give up my rig for some sub-optimal, poorly constructed, sub-rate graphics enabled, hardware that'll be out of date in a month POS that can't even get over 40FPS on BF3 for God's sake.

Diablo 3 RoS console version has a jump function.  This is excluded from the PC version not to mention D3RoS has an offline option while D3RoS needs to be always be online.

Why the fuck would you ever need to jump in Diablo? That is the most stupid thing I have ever heard.

Diablo 3 RoS console version has a jump function.  This is excluded from the PC version not to mention D3RoS has an offline option while D3RoS needs to be always be online.

Why the fuck would you ever need to jump in Diablo? That is the most stupid thing I have ever heard.

It would be useful on occasion; getting out of being stuck in a corner for one and the mob has you blocked off casting arcane sentry's with no way out.  You're right though its just a cosmetic problem but still a problem.  You can tell Blizzard is trying to encourage people to dump their PC in favor of an XBox One or PS4.

I remember reading about the development of Morrowind. There was a quote from one of the lead guys at Bethesda who basically said, "our goal is to create the most immersive single-player experience possible." Whatever happened to that?

Anyway I don't play MMO's so I'll be passing on this.

MMO usually means 'stat grinder', or computer crack. Only a few online developers have ever tried doing what Skyrim does so beautifully -- Role Play. Guild Wars Original was one; and we see where that led; WoW-Light, where several top designers resigned mid development of GW2; in fact, these very same devs left mid development of WoW to found ArenaNet, but when higher management (NC Soft) adopted the EverCrack core design... They saw the same slide towards addiction design stimulus and resigned from GW2. 

Age of Conan was another, but a tsunami of WoW whiners (stat-crack addicts) at release drove development into the WoW wannabe cult.

I believe Ultima Online also does a RP multi-play thing, but haven't tried it.  

And there is Secret World, a skill based MMO, but it's just not the same high fantasy setting as AoC, Skyrim etc. .. and at a time when Funcom's influence in the market was waning  

Skyrim and "Stat Grind" (the EverCrack core mechanic) are completely incompatible. You can tell by the latest reviews and videos that even the devs at zenimax didn't believe, deep down, in what they were doing; they've lost the 'truth', the soul of the Elder Scrolls franchise. It shows as a completely unplayable product. With virtually nothing, but a few names/places in common with Skyrim. Get beyond the cut-n-paste, and you'll have a much better experience 'grinding', or pvping in GW2, if that's your thing.

I believe Skyrim/GW1 stat-free RP will be the evolution of the MMO, but not this go-around. The genre needs to get over it's greed via stat addiction first. Would be best to create an organic market -- a framework -- then just let the product evolve as modders transform the framework, give it a soul.   

I remember reading about the development of Morrowind. There was a quote from one of the lead guys at Bethesda who basically said, "our goal is to create the most immersive single-player experience possible." Whatever happened to that?

Anyway I don't play MMO's so I'll be passing on this.

They did.

This happend...

Started with Morrowind and ended with Morrowind.

MMO usually means 'stat grinder', or computer crack. Only a few online developers have ever tried doing what Skyrim does so beautifully -- Role Play. Guild Wars Original was one; and we see where that led; WoW-Light, where several top designers resigned mid development of GW2; in fact, these very same devs left mid development of WoW to found ArenaNet, but when higher management (NC Soft) adopted the EverCrack core design... They saw the same slide towards addiction design stimulus and resigned from GW2. 

Age of Conan was another, but a tsunami of WoW whiners (stat-crack addicts) at release drove development into the WoW wannabe cult.

I believe Ultima Online also does a RP multi-play thing, but haven't tried it.  

And there is Secret World, a skill based MMO, but it's just not the same high fantasy setting as AoC, Skyrim etc. .. and at a time when Funcom's influence in the market was waning  

Skyrim and "Stat Grind" (the EverCrack core mechanic) are completely incompatible. You can tell by the latest reviews and videos that even the devs at zenimax didn't believe, deep down, in what they were doing; they've lost the 'truth', the soul of the Elder Scrolls franchise. It shows as a completely unplayable product. With virtually nothing, but a few names/places in common with Skyrim. Get beyond the cut-n-paste, and you'll have a much better experience 'grinding', or pvping in GW2, if that's your thing.

I believe Skyrim/GW1 stat-free RP will be the evolution of the MMO, but not this go-around. The genre needs to get over it's greed via stat addiction first. Would be best to create an organic market -- a framework -- then just let the product evolve as modders transform the framework, give it a soul.   

Darkfall 1 is ONLY MMO that came close to Morrowind and pure sandbox but it lasted only from beta into launch couple of months then community started to cry and whine so much(because it was to hardcore) they changed the game so the ex-WoW where happy but ruined a great sandbox.

Btw most MMO or multiplayer games are also ruined by cheaters and reason why i play solo games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipqGcC-qcMk&list=UU7mFkx1Um4KJZKkUHsSV1uA

Fast forwarded 15 pages to see if anyone posted this vid. Boy, I feel slightly tired.

I am not a fanboy, by any standards. I started my TES journey with Skyrim and I absolutely loved the immersive leveling system and the world is such a joy to explore and I was enraptured by the lore later on. I didn't play the TES:O so I won't be joining the poll sadly. But seeing this review I won't be playing it.

Anybody who really knows MMOs and loves TES like that reviewer claims,  couldn't avoid being at least a bit pessimistic about it's prospects, the warning signs were there well before it went into beta. And not just their reluctance to let anybody see anything remotely substantial other than an intro movie and the same recycled screen grabs for 90% of it's development cycle.

The parent company forming it's own tame little in-house offshoot sans Bethesda was a worry straight off the bat. It stinks of a serial property hoarder with greedy shareholders, determined to squeeze the life out of a sacred cow that's been slowly but steadily yielding delicious milk for longer than Zenimax has existed. The project lead not having been in charge of a decent MMO in 13 years (and it shows). And it being a very late entry to a crowded genre at the waning tail end of a trend of stagnant ideas and financially driven fear of breaking the Blizzard mould. Last but by no means least, the SWTOR precedent -  an IP in such an eerily similar position to TESO that history repeating seemed absolutely odds on. 

So yeah, these guys should never have been peddling unbridled optimism, and if they ever did it makes you wonder if they were getting kick backs - no gaming journo worth their salt could possibly have ruled out an impending disaster, it happens more often than not. 

Anybody who really knows MMOs and loves TES like that reviewer claims,  couldn't avoid being at least a bit pessimistic about it's prospects, the warning signs were there well before it went into beta. And not just their reluctance to let anybody see anything remotely substantial other than an intro movie and the same recycled screen grabs for 90% of it's development cycle.

The parent company forming it's own tame little in-house offshoot sans Bethesda was a worry straight off the bat. It stinks of a serial property hoarder with greedy shareholders, determined to squeeze the life out of a sacred cow that's been slowly but steadily yielding delicious milk for longer than Zenimax has existed. The project lead not having been in charge of a decent MMO in 13 years (and it shows). And it being a very late entry to a crowded genre at the waning tail end of a trend of stagnant ideas and financially driven fear of breaking the Blizzard mould. Last but by no means least, the SWTOR precedent -  an IP in such an eerily similar position to TESO that history repeating seemed absolutely odds on. 

So yeah, these guys should never have been peddling unbridled optimism, and if they ever did it makes you wonder if they were getting kick backs - no gaming journo worth their salt could possibly have ruled out an impending disaster, it happens more often than not. 

Well said.

I wouldn't have mind if some stuff like weapons and armor didn't look like they were copy-pasta'ed from Skyrim. Would've like a single-player offline mode, but a Borderlands 2 like co-op mode, with real-time animations and what have you.

There could be less bugs, and every enemy, or boss can drop more then just two or three gold, or if we didn't have to pay extra for the 'tenth' race (Imperials.)

Archived