Regarding the Elder Scrolls: Online...

Sεraphim

What Do You Think About TES:O?  

484 members have voted

1. 1. If your answer is other, feel free to explain it in a forum post!

• I think it will be amazing! Probably the best MMO of the decade!
    • I think it will be alright. I'm sure it will be entertaining for a bit.
    • I don't think it will be that great, but I'm still going to try it.
    • I'm not looking forward to it.
    • I don't play MMOs.
    • Other...

The "limited edition pre-order" bonus is the imperial race.

Yep.

Yeah that's why i'll probably skip it for now.

I do want to try it, form my own opinion on it, but asking me to plop down $80 USD to get the full game (and more likely 80€ in my case), knowing full well that it has a $15 USD monthly subscription fee ontop of that.. sorry, you have priced yourselves out of the market for anything but die-hard fans, that is simply asking to much.

Especially considdering that the gaming public knows practically nothing about this title (unless they were in the beta). There's been a full press and beta embargo in place untill a few days ago, and almost no official promotional material has been released about it (there's not even a "media" section with some screenshots on their official site). And you want us to plop down 80 buxlol on blind faith alone in this thing?

And that's to speak nothing of the concerns this pre-order bonus malarky raises in the first place. You are already double-dipping with both a full-price retail release and a full-price subfee, and what, that wasen't enough? You need to tripple-dip this bastard with a 20 dollar Day-0 preorder DLC?

A Day-0 preorder DLC that draws into question the whole faction-lock nonsense no less. If you're both willing to stoop to the level of Day-0 DLC, and break the rules you set up for the game for those who paid extra, then what exactly can we expect to see in the future? This is painting a pretty worrying picture of what their buisness model for this game might be.

They are going to need a free-trial version or something, anything, the barrier to entry is just way to high. Well that, or it needs to go free-to-play, which it very well might a few months down the line given current MMO trends.

I want to like you TESO, i want to give you a fair go, but you'll have to give me something to work with here, i'm not dropping 80 bux on a game sight unseen, that's simply not going to happen.

Would agree with this expecting a starter price of a standard AAA game and then also a monthly price is a bit much and this is partially why i stopped bothering with WoW ages ago (other part was boredom)

When they start doing free trials that then lead to the monthly sub price i'll give it a go.

would have been better if they just made a stable skyrim online mod  where people can host there own private servers or play lan with with someone and a DLC to allow people to join any in game fraction with extra quests for them. This online mod should be as mod compatible as possible

would have been better if they just made a stable skyrim online mod  where people can host there own private servers or play lan with with someone and a DLC to allow people to join any in game fraction with extra quests for them. This online mod should be as mod compatible as possible

Agreed.

The Elder Scrolls games live on as long as they do because of their mod-ability. Nexus is a testament to that fact. An un-moddable ES game is what will make it seem "foreign", and not much like an actual ES game.

To the point of subscriber longevity......

EverQuest launched in 1999, and STILL holds a score of 7.79 here.

EverQuest 2 launched in 2004, and holds a score of 7.88

Anarchy Online launched in 2000, and holds a score of 7.77

Hell, even Meridian 59 (like the first ever "formal" MMO, circa 1996) still lives on.

The point is......

Gold farmers will LOVE this game just as much as those. Such is the nature of MMOs  :P

Trykz

For 12 years i gave mmo's a chance but i gave up in 2012 after GW2 which was awesome in BETA but for going downhill from launch quit after 5 months.

Now i stick to solo games.

Looking forward to The Witcher 3.

Playing Skyrim-Thief-Metro-Walking dead game.

Fuke TESO not interested :D

I could already several times the beta version of "ESO" play, several people had this version to test the server. my first impression was promising, there is a gigantic big world, the test was limited to a very small island, but that was at least 10 times as large as skyrim. if you can play with publication of the game on all of Tamriel will be found no end. This game works just like skyrim, man must play in any group, it is also in the solo mode.

german

ich durfte jetzt schon mehrere male die beta version von "ESO" spielen , mehrere menschen hatten diese version zum testen des servers . mein erster eindruck war vielversprechend , es ist eine gigantisch große welt , der test bezog sich nur auf einer sehr kleinen insel , aber die war mindestens 10 mal so groß wie skyrim . wenn man bei veröffentlichung des spiels auf ganz tamriel spielen kann wird man kein ende finden . dieses spiel funktioniert genau wie skyrim , mann muß in keiner gruppe spielen , es geht auch im solo modus .

Cmon people..

Don't you realize this is a good thing? Going MMO is the best thing that could happen to the TES series. I can't wait.

I mean, folk at Beth are not stupid, When this watered down distant retarded autistic mutant thrice-removed cousin of TES turns out to be a catastrophe, maybe that'll teach them not to dip their fingers into this shitpool and we'll get back the good old days of immersive lore. For me it's not a good enough TES game unless you start in some form of captivity and then save the world. Having been a TES fan for as long as I have, I will not go near this abomination.

I had a puppy when I was very small, and I tried to stop its every attempt to eat its own crap. One day either out of frustration or in a vengeful mood I let it go ahead. It learnt a lesson that day. Hopefully the same will happen here.

We've lost so many classics already. From Baldur's Gate we have reached the age of ME3. From the same company we've had Dragon age , who then corrected their horrible mistake of making a good game with the DA2 sequel.  I wept.. I fucking wept to see Diablo in Diablo 3 had grown tits. I love tits. I believe they are the single most beautiful creation in existence, but I cannot bear to see Diablo with fucking tits. As a child I played the Price of Persia games and loved them. I honestly feel nauseated when I think of that colorful buffoon huffed up on goofballs from a more recent version.

You don't fucking do that to legends.

I fear this MMO will go the same way. I wouldn't spend a penny on it. I would rather wait for the next Single Player TES Beth will release because I'm sure they'll put in some extra effort to win back their disgruntled fan-base. 

Call me a sentimental fart if you will, but things WERE better in the good old days. Beth seemed to maintain the tradition, until now. I love Bethesda, and out of love I would like to see it learn a lesson from this venture.

I didn't mean to offend anyone. If you disagree, feel free to huff and puff in some other thread and not derail this one.

Nemesis608

No you did very well spoken, all the old games were better than their successors.

the first game of a series is always the best, in the past, that was several times the case. the elders scrolls series that was morrowind, DA1 was better than DA 2, just as the witcher 1 was better than the witcher 2 of course, today's graphic is better that brings the development with it, but it comes with a good game is not just about the graphics when everything else sucks.

german

nein du hast sehr gut gesprochen , alle alten spiele waren besser als ihre nachfolger . das erste spiel einer serie ist immer das beste , in der vergangenheit war das schon mehrmals der fall . in der elders scrolls reihe war das morrowind , DA1 war auch besser als DA 2 , genauso the witcher 1 war besser als the witcher 2 . natürlich ist die heutige graphik besser , daß bringt die entwicklung mit sich , aber es geht bei einem guten spiel nicht nur um die graphik wenn alles andere scheiße ist .

I'm weary of new MMOs, and have been disappointed by recent releases such as Final Fantasy, TERA, etc. I'll be skipping this one. One thing that I've noticed about MMOs, and perhaps this is an idiosyncrasy of the genre, is the impact the length of development has on the quality of the product. What I mean by that is the conditions under which the development started, are not necessarily the conditions that the final product will launch in. If investors see the market is hostile to their product, they'll take desperate measures to recoup their investments. As many have stated before me, the era of P2P MMOs is dying, and for good reason.

TESO will never get the succes SKYRIM have 24million copy's sold all platforms(don't mean phones and tablets :P ).

Maybe at first they get 1million even 1.5 million then after month majority players relalise its same old as all other themeparks and its not TES and leave, it will prolly settle at 400-500k players becouse always diehards no matter what keep playing.

With succes of Skyrim(even bigger then WoW MMO) Bethesda come to there senses and ditch Zenimax and released in 2016 TES VI which have learned from The Witcher 3 and bring there BEST EVER TES game of all time and will reach 35million copie's.

Im the nostradamus the apothecary who predict the future of games :D

TESO will never get the succes SKYRIM have 24million copy's sold all platforms(don't mean phones and tablets :P ).

Maybe at first they get 1million even 1.5 million then after month majority players relalise its same old as all other themeparks and its not TES and leave, it will prolly settle at 400-500k players becouse always diehards no matter what keep playing.

With succes of Skyrim(even bigger then WoW MMO) Bethesda come to there senses and ditch Zenimax and released in 2016 TES VI which have learned from The Witcher 3 and bring there BEST EVER TES game of all time and will reach 35million copie's.

Im the nostradamus the apothecary who predict the future of games :D

You are forgetting the wildcard in the mix: TESO will be on Consoles.

To the PC player who have seen tons of MMO's come and go, TESO doesen't seem all that special, because it isen't really, been there, done it, bought the T-shit and long since repurposed it as an oil rag. But MMO's like this are not played out and passe on Consoles, so what will that end up meaning? I'm honestly not sure.

Guest Mogie56

Wow is possibly the most cartoonish looking mmo there is, with suck ass turn based combat it isn't free to play. everybody and there brother bitched about it being a grind fest and nothing more, millions around the world still play it. Eve to me is nothing more then a PVP game in space, there is nothing redeeming about it, nothing special and sure as hell has no story but still not free to play, millions play it. There is nothing in the books that says ESO has to go free to play it could very well shut down like many have and if it does it will most likely get the axe because so many already hate bethesda/zenimax and refuse to like anything they make no matter what the companies do. yet no one has the slightest idea what has to be done to even get an MMO off the ground far enough for millions to play at the same time. they expect the same or better graphics then what Skyrim has which is not possible. spawn 1000 npc's at your location and see what skyrim does. or any other single player game. the scale is such in a MMO that it allows millions of players but at the cost of graphics because of scale, characters in an mmo are micro sized compared to a single player game, ESO or any MMO no matter what kind of hardware the servers are could never handle the same level of graphics and scale of Skyrim and still allow millions to play at the same time. But this horse has been beat to death a thousand times, haters are gonna hate no matter what.

Its 15years experience and opinion nothing more.

Hate is big word and a very nasty one at that.

I rather say dislike with knowledge of what ive experience in last 15 years with mmo's.

It's an opinion nothing more :)

And becouse something sells alot like WoW or used by millions don't mean its good, we have plenty of those products around millions buy it but its still crap.

Many very good products for many reason still failed lesser product became a succes.

Partcipated in three of their beta weekends, forth one coming up this Friday. So far, loved everything about it but they need to fix a significant amount of bugs. But that's what the beta is for, after all.

And unlikely as it is, I really wish they'd make some skimpy female armor. I would be so fa... er, happy.

I've been in all the ESO betas since August 2013.  Honestly, during the first few I was astonished.  When I got through the very buggy and loudly repeating NPCs at the very beginning and came out in the first city, it looked just like stepping out into Skyrim for me, but online.  However, I played alone.  There weren't too many online the first betas I was in, and of course my friend wasn't in there yet so I tended to play solo.  It wasn't until the last three or four that I was able to play with my friend.  That's where the trouble started for me.  Suddenly I discovered all the glitches with grouping and phasing. Teleporting to him meant not actually going to him but to a wayshrine FAR from him and then not being able to be in the same dungeon at the same time even though we were grouped and could see others in other groups in the same instance with each of us, etc.  He says that its a very expensive solo online game and has basically stopped playing.  I was excited at first, but now...  Of course if they would let the wonderful modders here get in there and do some work sexing up the place, then it would be worth going back.  :D

i was playing the beta, too. to my opinion ist a great game. BUT..

positives:

it looks good and i like the combat system.

negatives;

first; i'm not going to pay a monthly fee to have a feeling that i play a single player game with co-op feature and some multiplayer pvp arenas.

second; where are the great landscapes like skyrim or else, all what i see at the horizon is fog.

third; i miss the feeling of exploriation of something new, like areas etc.. pp. i entered a new areal and all feels so close to me and most of them i could see in the first few moments.

fourth; the leveling and running through the area feels to me like a "leveling-tube" like Dragon Age or Mass Effect.

fifth; i miss the mmorpg feeling that i had with world of warcraft, lord of the rings online, tera, aion and actually i have with star wars the old republic online.

i will wait and watch from outside ESO, how it grows or ends. it have potential, indeed. but to my opinion, it's not worth to me to pay a monthly fee for that. i could play kingdom of amalur instead but there will be no co-op or pvp. :D

So, I got a free beta key and decided. What the hell. May as well try it out and at least form an educated opinion. 

Two hours in and my opinion hasn't much changed. The game runs smooth but nothing has proven to be, "oh my god so awesome" within the world yet. I was rather pissed off that someone seems to have stolen my Skyrim character name. 

The female bodies aren't impressive at all. The males aren't either. The options for character customization are quite silly. Things like hand and foot size rather than real customization to eye colors? Seriously?

The voice acting and dialogue has been rather boring. Followers are annoying and get in the way of looting often and combat. 

Overall, not very impressed so far. It's certainly not worth a monthly subscription. Oh, and did I mention, after getting through the initial quest and out of my player home area, I jumped up in the air only to somehow land in the clouds and become stuck. I had to exit the game. I couldn't move or fix it. It was like collision had been turned off and I teleported to the sky somewhere. 

The one highlight was Molag-Bol's appearance. Still, I wouldn't compare it to an encounter with a Crystal Dragon in Guildwars 2. It was rather un-exciting and his minion was a cheese cake. 

@sbire  You're right about that.  Little segments of worlds.  Makes it feel so small.   I could see very far away though.  I think it might depend on which area you are in. 

I just went in and played a bit just now.  They've made so many changes this time.  Only a sword to start instead of picking a weapon for example.

And yeah, if it was F2P I probably would play it, but the hefty price tag to buy the game and then $15 a month too....Well, that's too much for me.

I'm of the opinion it will follow the same arc as SW:TOR. You simply cannot fight WoW with a full on pay-to-play MMO. Especially one that's not particularly ground breaking in any way.

What it really comes down to is this: What everyone wants in one form or another is a system by which you can play either the Elder Scrolls or Fallout co-op with a couple of friends. What nobody really gives much of a damn about is having to pay to play it, using an unrecognizable system, with shoe-horned MMO mechanics tossed in. What you WANT to do is have your Vault Dweller join your friends Ghoul Refugee to explore the massive ruins of an aerospace plant looking for tech salvage to sell for caps while fighting off bandits. Or your Dragonborn to jump into the game of a fellow Dragonborn and go exploring a huge, 9 level deep Barrow to find the tomb of a dragon priest.

An MMO? Nah.

I'll probably pick up a copy and play for the free month, myself. Or just wait for it to go F2P, which it will do within a year. Especially when WoW's expansion hits later this year.

Archived