What do you HATE MOST about VANILLA Skyrim?

Vanilla Skyrim things most players hate (According to people I talk to and Google).  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your pick?

• Game-breaking bugs and glitches. (Oh, you're wanting to find out how to kill Alduin, but you can't because Delphine won't pull out a torch to light a brazier? Too bad, loser!)
    • Broken/bizarre physics and other game mechanics. (A horse being able to stand parallel with a mountain like a Naruto character, for example)
    • Ugly character textures. (Where characters look like they're from the PS2 era. No offense, PS2)
    • Too many boring side quests. (I don't care that you lost your stupid family artifact! That's your fucking problem! I'll only get 20 gold for it, anyway! What the fuck can I do with 20 gold?!)
    • Being remade and released 10 times with practically nothing new, save for a nigh-unnoticeable "upgrade". (Oh. You can fish now? I don't... really care. I'm not spending $30 for that)
    • Crappy rewards (A shitty enchanted sword for risking my life to find a stupid artifact in an ancient dungeon full of things that want to murder me? Fuck you!)
    • Anything else I can't think of right now (Please feel free to comment!)

• Boring spells. The casting mechanism is fun, but the spells are dull as dishwater. Fire, Ranged Fire, Area Fire, Trap Fire, Stronger Fire. Frost, Ranged Frost, Area Frost ...
  • Boring spell effects. Anything more interesting than Hurt or Heal has been taken away to make Shouts so fighters can do magic while pretending never to do magic. It's not an easy game to have fun playing a mage.
  • Boring clothes. Head, Body, Hands and Feet for everything. Let me mix and match!
  • Dumbed Down Lore. Morrowind had the 36 Sermons of Vivec. Skyrim had Alduin is Real and he Ent Akatosh. Says it all really.
  • Tiny towns. Half a dozen shacks in a swamp does not make for a convincing hold capital. Don't get me started on Winterhold.

All that said, the gameplay loop was such enormous fun that I loved it anyway. But yeah, it had its problems.

Edited by DocClox
  • 1 month later...
  • Combat in general was rudimentary and clunky.
  • Carry weight limit and inconsistent item weight.
  • Scrolling through menus was dull.
  • A rather limited voice actor cast. Could have dubbed more unique voices for SE or AE. BGS made a killing off the game.
  • Most enemy AI is very basic and comes for you every single time even if there are more immediate threats.
  • Unrealistically small cities and populations.
  • Farms are way too small to sustain the population without imported foods and hunting. You need hectares of farmland to have enough foods of different types. 20 cabbages isn't going to do it for a whole winter for 50 people.

Most vanilla content is moot after hundreds of new games. I only play it now occasionally for the mod follower content. Maybe this game I'll visit Solstheim for the first time.

On 2/2/2024 at 4:22 AM, DocClox said:
  • Boring spells. The casting mechanism is fun, but the spells are dull as dishwater. Fire, Ranged Fire, Area Fire, Trap Fire, Stronger Fire. Frost, Ranged Frost, Area Frost ...
  • Boring spell effects. Anything more interesting than Hurt or Heal has been taken away to make Shouts so fighters can do magic while pretending never to do magic. It's not an easy game to have fun playing a mage.
  • Boring clothes. Head, Body, Hands and Feet for everything. Let me mix and match!
  • Dumbed Down Lore. Morrowind had the 36 Sermons of Vivec. Skyrim had Alduin is Real and he Ent Akatosh. Says it all really.
  • Tiny towns. Half a dozen shacks in a swamp does not make for a convincing hold capital. Don't get me started on Winterhold.

All that said, the gameplay loop was such enormous fun that I loved it anyway. But yeah, it had its problems.

I like how, when walking by a farm a stone's throw from Riften, you can hear that Dumner guy say it'll take him two hours to walk to Riften.

On 11/1/2023 at 7:45 PM, NCK30 said:

At least it is better than Vanilla Starfield.

Why do the Characters look like that? Im scared. : r/Starfield

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be scared or confused right now.

1 hour ago, CrowOfItachi said:

This was how they would look at You if You stood next to them.

Scary shit I tell Yah...

1 hour ago, CrowOfItachi said:

Didn't know that the folks at Bethesda had free access to Fentanyl. Can be the only explanation that this passed Quality *cough* Control *cough*.

It would take less time to say what I liked about the game. It's crap from top to bottom and I've never played the vanilla game.

Skyrim must be the unluckiest place in the entire universe. It's being attacked by dragons and vampires while having a civil war.

On 9/16/2023 at 6:05 PM, Vader666 said:

The inventory and crafting menus

What about the mining with the Holy Pick-axe of Antioch - "Nine will be the number of strikes and nine times wilt thou strike the rock. Ten times thou shall not strike, nor either strike thou eight times excepting that thou then proceeds to nine. Eleven is right out."

With apologies to Monty Python.

Edited by Grey Cloud

As weird as it sounds Skyrim's keys have been bugging me lately. For some reason doors that not even a master thief can break into has the same key model as a door with a novice level lock. What is so special about these doors that require keys? Are they magical? If so where is their enchantment? Enchanted swords, axes, blunt instruments and bows have this little glowey effect to signify they are enchanted so why do certain keys not have the same thing? Where is the consistency here? Also nobody has stepped in to fix the dragon trap made of wood.

19 minutes ago, Darkpig said:

Also nobody has stepped in to fix the dragon trap made of wood.

wood is fine for ice dragons, also a fire dragon would not be able to escape even if it was set on fire, it would die long before it would brake apart.

3 hours ago, Darkpig said:

nobody has stepped in to fix the dragon trap made of wood

If it's been there that for as long as it's claimed it's now petrified wood.

There, I fixed it. Where's my sweetroll?

Edited by belegost
3 minutes ago, Alessia Wellington said:

I stole it.

You just made Inigo your enemy for life.

I hate the skeleton key. Well, I don't hate it, per se, but I hate how it's portrayed in the game. So, it's supposed to be a key that can open any door, like how Mercer used it to open that puzzle door or the Thieves Guild vault. However, when the Dragonborn gets it, it's just a glorified lockpick. Also, you don't even get to keep the damn thing. If you want to finish the TG questline, you have to return it. It's so stupid. That's why I have mods installed to make the skeleton key both an item I get to keep and the magical key it's supposed to be.

7 hours ago, MadMansGun said:

also a fire dragon would not be able to escape even if it was set on fire, it would die long before it would brake apart.

And burns down the entire building making everyone die within. I like your thinking.

4 hours ago, belegost said:

If it's been there that for as long as it's claimed it's now petrified wood.

There, I fixed it. Where's my sweetroll?

The sweetroll expired by the time the wood petrified.

Also Alessia stole it.