What do you HATE MOST about VANILLA Skyrim?

Vanilla Skyrim things most players hate (According to people I talk to and Google).  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your pick?

• Game-breaking bugs and glitches. (Oh, you're wanting to find out how to kill Alduin, but you can't because Delphine won't pull out a torch to light a brazier? Too bad, loser!)
    • Broken/bizarre physics and other game mechanics. (A horse being able to stand parallel with a mountain like a Naruto character, for example)
    • Ugly character textures. (Where characters look like they're from the PS2 era. No offense, PS2)
    • Too many boring side quests. (I don't care that you lost your stupid family artifact! That's your fucking problem! I'll only get 20 gold for it, anyway! What the fuck can I do with 20 gold?!)
    • Being remade and released 10 times with practically nothing new, save for a nigh-unnoticeable "upgrade". (Oh. You can fish now? I don't... really care. I'm not spending $30 for that)
    • Crappy rewards (A shitty enchanted sword for risking my life to find a stupid artifact in an ancient dungeon full of things that want to murder me? Fuck you!)
    • Anything else I can't think of right now (Please feel free to comment!)

Reminder: This thread is about VANILLA SKYRIM ONLY. Nothing concerning modding. The raw, unmodded game.

What about the vanilla game do you hate most? It doesn't really matter what version. LE, SE, AE, etc. As long as you hate it, say it! Also, this thread is ENTIRELY OPINION! No judging or being an asshole, please.

For me, it's the bugs and glitches. I know that some of them can be funny, but when I'm trying to complete a quest and I can't because the game just decides "I'm going to ruin your whole life!", that makes me want to throw my PC out the window.

Voted for the remade/rereleased option because I just want them to start working on ES6 already. It would be the bugs, but I haven't played anything close to vanilla in a decade at this point. Plus I'm so used to Bethesda Jank™ by now that it's honestly part of the charm for me. And hey, fixing all the buggy stuff is how a ton of modders got their start so I honestly think the community wouldn't be nearly as strong as it is if Bethsoft were fully competent.

The game economy, quest rewards and equipment prices were never balanced to really immerse me in the game world, you could make an absolute fortune with little to no effort (Sounds like the Bethesda marketing teams modus operandi.)

Anyway, I chose "Being remade and released 10 times with practically nothing new."

The plot is horrible. First they want to cut our heads off (and we don't even know why) and then we become the dragon blood???? And worst of all, to kill Alduin (who isn't even that good, as a boss is worthless) we're not alone!!! 
Not to mention, that all civilians have a weapon (fuck even children!!!!) attached to their clothes? 
There would be a lot to say............for a 21st century game, it's shoddy to say the least. The only good thing it has is the vast exploratory map.

The awful combat system. Hitting people has no impact unless it's a power attack, weapon and shield bashing range is all over the place, being "staggered" by a power attack or bash means nothing because I can still move and attack like I normally would. Playing on higher difficulties is mind numbingly tedious, it turns everyone into a damage sponge. I hate damage sponges, to me it's the laziest and shittiest way to increase the difficulty. I'll just craft hundreds of iron daggers and upgrade my main weapon to a handheld nuke in order to make combat slightly less boring.

Magic is even worse because it doesn't scale. Highest level destruction spells take too long to charge, they can be easily interrupted and they don't do enough damage to justify that. Basic bitch fireball is a much better option. Being a master necromancer or illusionist means nothing because some random forest hobo is too powerful for my magic. In previous TES games I could simply make my own spell.

Arrows will sometimes fly straight through NPCs like they're using noclip. And the fucking AI ninja dodge, holy shit it's bad. They don't dodge, they just fucking slide. It looks like something from a shitty mod that desperately tries to make the game more challenging.

I haven't played Skyrim in years so I probably missed something. I choose the last option in the pool but I hate pretty much everything about this game except for the graphics. I don't mind vanilla Skyrim on max settings, it looks good enough for me.

6 hours ago, Bakafish said:

Voted for the remade/rereleased option because I just want them to start working on ES6 already. It would be the bugs, but I haven't played anything close to vanilla in a decade at this point. Plus I'm so used to Bethesda Jank™ by now that it's honestly part of the charm for me. And hey, fixing all the buggy stuff is how a ton of modders got their start so I honestly think the community wouldn't be nearly as strong as it is if Bethsoft were fully competent.

Fair enough. Still, it made playing the game pre-modding annoying.

6 hours ago, Xenji-Ikra said:

The game being an empty hollow shell of the games that came before.

Like getting a big, fancily wrapped present for your birthday, only to open it up to find a single sock. Something like that? Because I get that.

5 hours ago, Celedhring said:

Characters in vanilla Skyrim SE is light years away from a heavily modded Skyrim SE.  Thank God I can wash away so much *ugly*

The mod community is the MAIN reason Skyrim/Skyrim SE has been so successful. 

I get what you mean. It's bad when fans can make a better game than the developers.

Spoiler

breton.png.8abbae3c432c176eca304aead1d0965f.png

SkyrimSpecialEdition9_5_202310_35_03PM.png.c90c56d8dbaaf539feddae3bf8cfcf00.png

5 hours ago, Wight Zombi said:

I chose 'game breaking bugs and glitches'.  It would be even more of a problem on consoles, since you can't circumvent those bugs without using the console command.

As someone who started out on the Xbox One version, I completely agree. You could use mods on the console versions, but it was vastly inferior to PC modding.

3 hours ago, lisander68 said:

The plot is horrible. First they want to cut our heads off (and we don't even know why) and then we become the dragon blood???? 

It was (kind of) explained that we were being executed for illegally entering Skyrim. Why that was a crime punishable only by death, I don't know. Deportation sounds more reasonable.

And worst of all, to kill Alduin (who isn't even that good, as a boss is worthless) we're not alone!!! 

The lore made Alduin sound WAY more powerful than he actually was. I know that the devs likely toned down his power to make him easier to fight, but still. SUPER anticlimactic. And what did we get out of it? Practically nothing. No one gave a shit that we prevented Armageddon by dragon.

Not to mention, that all civilians have a weapon (fuck even children!!!!) attached to their clothes? 

I know, right? A child carrying a Skyforge Steel Dagger? A little much, don't you think?

The only good thing it has is the vast exploratory map.

That, and the vast modding capabilities!

1 hour ago, NickNozownik said:

The awful combat system. Hitting people has no impact unless it's a power attack, weapon and shield bashing range is all over the place, being "staggered" by a power attack or bash means nothing because I can still move and attack like I normally would. Playing on higher difficulties is mind numbingly tedious, it turns everyone into a damage sponge. I hate damage sponges, to me it's the laziest and shittiest way to increase the difficulty. I'll just craft hundreds of iron daggers and upgrade my main weapon to a handheld nuke in order to make combat slightly less boring.

Skyrim is the definition of "grind". If you want to do anything, you have to just grind until you can do it. It's such bullshit.

1 hour ago, NickNozownik said:

Magic is even worse because it doesn't scale. Highest level destruction spells take too long to charge, they can be easily interrupted and they don't do enough damage to justify that. Basic bitch fireball is a much better option. Being a master necromancer or illusionist means nothing because some random forest hobo is too powerful for my magic. In previous TES games I could simply make my own spell.

It's like when you're playing a fighting game and the game has all of these stupid combos for you to memorize. Why would I do that when I can just punch the fuckers to death? Also, yeah. Trying to play as a necromancer or illusionist is impossible. I never bother with those spells because they're so stupid. It's one of the reasons I hate it when someone has a spell like that in their mods. You want to use this seduction spell for my succubus mod? Well, good luck, because it'll be nearly impossible thanks to Skyrim's shitty leveling mechanics! How can you know if the spell will work on them if you can't tell what level they are?

2 hours ago, NickNozownik said:

Arrows will sometimes fly straight through NPCs like they're using noclip. And the fucking AI ninja dodge, holy shit it's bad. They don't dodge, they just fucking slide. It looks like something from a shitty mod that desperately tries to make the game more challenging.

That stupid arrow dodge. Who the fuck came up with that bullshit? A random ass Draugr suddenly becomes Michael Jackson and slides out of the way of my arrow that they weren't even looking at!

25 minutes ago, DeadJester226 said:

I'm sorry, but they're too cute for me to find creepy..

Thanks, I like to hear that. I think they're all cute too. I meant more that everyone staring at you is pretty creepy. :classic_smile:

28 minutes ago, Wight Zombi said:

I was just imagining a draugr doing the moonwalk while dodging the player's arrows and magic.  Someone should make a mod for that.  Fucking hilarious.  ?

I was imagining that, but more like this.

You shoot an arrow, the draugr is wearing a white suit with a fedora, moonwalks out of the way, spins around, then does the crotch-grab thing that MJ did, and shouts "WOO!"

It's the remakes for me. Bethesda could've remade Skyrim from the ground up again knowing what they know from community feedback and make a "definitive" edition that improved upon everything. Maybe even add in features that they originally wanted to but couldn't.

Instead we just get Creation Club, fishing, x64, and better stability? Not once, but twice. 

But hey, I can't really blame them for re-releasing Skyrim when it keeps getting bought.

7 hours ago, DeadJester226 said:

It was (kind of) explained that we were being executed for illegally entering Skyrim. Why that was a crime punishable only by death, I don't know. Deportation sounds more reasonable.

The lore made Alduin sound WAY more powerful than he actually was. I know that the devs likely toned down his power to make him easier to fight, but still. SUPER anticlimactic. And what did we get out of it? Practically nothing. No one gave a shit that we prevented Armageddon by dragon.

I know, right? A child carrying a Skyforge Steel Dagger? A little much, don't you think?

That, and the vast modding capabilities!

Having played several fantasy games, Skyrim is the shoddiest. There are no plot twists (already seen in other games even if of a different genre, so no innovation) and there is not even a final video (also seen in the past, they could at least make an effort).
The poll, I remind you, is ONLY about the game not modding. But on the latter, I have to agree with you. If there were no mods (among them, the various adventures) skyrim, for my money, can sit on the shelf. It's a static game, there's supposed to be a war going on but no one is fighting, let alone there are battlefields, and worst of all (which I've never understood), there are vampire invasions and bandits in the big cities (Whiterun, for one, or Solitude, if you prefer) ......da where do they come in? through the door? and the guards outside what are they doing? If these are supposed to be strengths, I find them pathetic. I mean, if we were to list everything that doesn't work in Skyrim, they'd have to remake the game from scratch. If I had to rate the game, I wouldn't give it more than 6.5 (and I'm already generous)