What do you HATE MOST about VANILLA Skyrim?

Vanilla Skyrim things most players hate (According to people I talk to and Google).  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your pick?

• Game-breaking bugs and glitches. (Oh, you're wanting to find out how to kill Alduin, but you can't because Delphine won't pull out a torch to light a brazier? Too bad, loser!)
    • Broken/bizarre physics and other game mechanics. (A horse being able to stand parallel with a mountain like a Naruto character, for example)
    • Ugly character textures. (Where characters look like they're from the PS2 era. No offense, PS2)
    • Too many boring side quests. (I don't care that you lost your stupid family artifact! That's your fucking problem! I'll only get 20 gold for it, anyway! What the fuck can I do with 20 gold?!)
    • Being remade and released 10 times with practically nothing new, save for a nigh-unnoticeable "upgrade". (Oh. You can fish now? I don't... really care. I'm not spending $30 for that)
    • Crappy rewards (A shitty enchanted sword for risking my life to find a stupid artifact in an ancient dungeon full of things that want to murder me? Fuck you!)
    • Anything else I can't think of right now (Please feel free to comment!)

7 hours ago, TT. said:

Nazeem and Delphine. one is an annoying prick and the other is an important character for a poorly written side quest

I always kill Nazeem. As for Delphine, I just wish we didn't have to kill Paarthurnax to rebuild the Blades. That's the thing I hate most about her. That, and her completely unnecessary loathing of the Greybeards. They're monks. They live in isolation. It's nothing new. The point is that Delphine is just so unreasonable in the worst ways. 

7 hours ago, Crystallia said:

It's the remakes for me. Bethesda could've remade Skyrim from the ground up again knowing what they know from community feedback and make a "definitive" edition that improved upon everything. Maybe even add in features that they originally wanted to but couldn't.

Instead we just get Creation Club, fishing, x64, and better stability? Not once, but twice. 

But hey, I can't really blame them for re-releasing Skyrim when it keeps getting bought.

It's basically what Rockstar did with the GTA Trilogy. Instead of remaking the games to make them better than ever, they just altered a few things and somehow made it worse. But I guess that's what happens when you're a greedy company that doesn't give a fuck.

1 hour ago, lisander68 said:

Having played several fantasy games, Skyrim is the shoddiest. There are no plot twists (already seen in other games even if of a different genre, so no innovation) and there is not even a final video (also seen in the past, they could at least make an effort).
The poll, I remind you, is ONLY about the game not modding. But on the latter, I have to agree with you. If there were no mods (among them, the various adventures) skyrim, for my money, can sit on the shelf. It's a static game, there's supposed to be a war going on but no one is fighting, let alone there are battlefields, and worst of all (which I've never understood), there are vampire invasions and bandits in the big cities (Whiterun, for one, or Solitude, if you prefer) ......da where do they come in? through the door? and the guards outside what are they doing? If these are supposed to be strengths, I find them pathetic. I mean, if we were to list everything that doesn't work in Skyrim, they'd have to remake the game from scratch. If I had to rate the game, I wouldn't give it more than 6.5 (and I'm already generous)

I mentioned the modding to try and say something positive about the game. I get what you mean, though. When I first played Skyrim, I found it such a chore to do anything. Also, bugs and glitches aside, the story was boring, everything you did felt so unrewarding (you save the world and no one gives a shit) and everything felt so hollow. The whole war felt more like a random distraction than an actual conflict.

However, what pissed me off the most was having a Nord follower (Lydia, for example), and during combat, they would shout racist shit like "Skyrim belongs to the Nords!". What I'm about to say is relevant to the Vanilla game, even though it does talk about modding. When someone makes a Nord follower mod and gives them Vanilla voices, that follower will also say racist shit in combat. It makes me immediately hate the follower. I don't know why Bethesda thought people would be OK with that.

3 minutes ago, Alessia Wellington said:

I just change their voice to one that doesn't have racist lines. Though, I do get why some find 'em annoying.

How do you do that?

32 minutes ago, Alessia Wellington said:

For me it's the opposite. I never kill Nazeem (I actually quite like him) and always get rid of Delphine. I wanna enjoy my cup of blood in the Sleeping Giant in peace, without a paranoid dirt bag breathing down my neck.

Fair enough. Though, I usually hang out at the Winking Skeever in Solitude. Reason is that the bard there, Lisette, and I are friends. We met at the College together and sometimes, if we're in the mood, we, uh... "practice" together.

38 minutes ago, Alessia Wellington said:

Load the follower's plugin in xEdit and find VTCK - Voice under Non-Player Character (Actor). Select a gender-appropriate voice type of your choice and you're good to go.

Ok. How do I find the plugin?

Just now, Alessia Wellington said:

Somewhere in your mod manager. Refer to the mod's archive to find the name of the follower's plugin.

Ok. I just haven't messed with that stuff much.

10 hours ago, DeadJester226 said:

I mentioned the modding to try and say something positive about the game. I get what you mean, though. When I first played Skyrim, I found it such a chore to do anything. Also, bugs and glitches aside, the story was boring, everything you did felt so unrewarding (you save the world and no one gives a shit) and everything felt so hollow. The whole war felt more like a random distraction than an actual conflict.

However, what pissed me off the most was having a Nord follower (Lydia, for example), and during combat, they would shout racist shit like "Skyrim belongs to the Nords!". What I'm about to say is relevant to the Vanilla game, even though it does talk about modding. When someone makes a Nord follower mod and gives them Vanilla voices, that follower will also say racist shit in combat. It makes me immediately hate the follower. I don't know why Bethesda thought people would be OK with that.

I agree with everything you said. Modding only serves to fill a bit of the huge void the game has (followers excluded).
I always try to play without followers, I find them useless and many times, annoying. I don't understand their usefulness, also because you finish the game without difficulty. Not to mention the lesser enemies, rats and wolves or bandits still at level 1..........always ready to annoy me......But the most obnoxious thing is the ending. Let's face it, I work my ass off to kill Alduin and at the end, I find out we're not face to face? They put me four or five morons.........what was the point then of all the fuss made to develop your PC? The developers at Bethesda, they could have focused a bit more and made the game more palatable. 

The Poor AI. It is that, imo, which makes Stealth Archery so OP at lower levels.

You've just been hit with an arrow... Must be your imagination...

I know there are plenty of other examples of poor AI but the game is 12 years old so can give it some slack but an arrow sticking out the back of your head is not your imagination.

I've played Oblivion at least 25-30 times without mods (I started it long after it was released). Skyrim approx. 6 times, after that I started modding. I think that's telling.
I'm not saying that there are things I like about Skyrim, but there is a lot of illogical stupidity and inconsistency.
I will list a few:
- I hate the Dawnguard DLC. If it wasn't for Serana (I use SDA), I would never play through it again. Boring, meaningless, the locations are nerve-wracking... I would have expected a more epic fight with Harkon. However, its biggest flaw is that vanilla Skyrim barely allows you to interact with a character like Serana after the DLC.
- Collage of Winterhold quests. I have only one question: If Augur of Dunlain warns that Ancano visited him, why don't we tell anyone about it? Why isn't Magnus' Orb better guarded? It's all strange to me.
- I like the Civil War missions, but at the same time, Ulfric is a power-hungry, racist dick. What reason would I have to side with him?
- Pursuing and defeating Mercer Frey is ridiculous in my opinion. I kill the bastard with 2 sword strikes (especially at higher levels), yet he is listed as very strong and invincible in the quests...
- Delphine is an annoying character, even though she shouldn't be if the game wants us to sympathize with the Blades.
...and there's a lot more crap like that.
But what's really heartbreaking is that they released the game again and again without fixing any game-breaking bugs. Disgusting.

2 hours ago, D3vilizeR said:

Delphine is an annoying character, even though she shouldn't be if the game wants us to sympathize with the Blades.

I agree with everything you said, but there's one thing about Delphine that just annoys me, as it's a major plot-hole. So we had to learn the first word of Whirlwind Sprint to be able to access the tomb of Jurgen Windcaller to retrieve his horn, right? So... how did Delphine retrieve the horn without it? Does she know something we don't? There was no other way to access the tomb, right? Also, there was no sign of her being there other than her note. It makes no fucking sense.

Some people say that she probably paid other people to activate the stones to open the gates, but how would that work with all of the skeletons within that part of the tomb? I'm pretty sure the skeletons would have noticed a bunch of random schmucks doing that.

Vor 4 Stunden sagte D3vilizeR:

Ich habe Oblivion mindestens 25–30 Mal ohne Mods gespielt (ich habe es lange nach der Veröffentlichung gestartet). Skyrim ca. 6 Mal, danach habe ich mit dem Modding begonnen. Ich denke, das ist aufschlussreich.
Ich sage nicht, dass es Dinge gibt, die mir an Skyrim gefallen, aber es gibt eine Menge unlogischer Dummheit und Inkonsistenz.
Ich werde einige auflisten:
- Ich hasse den Dawnguard DLC. Ohne Serana (ich verwende SDA) würde ich es nie wieder durchspielen. Langweilig, bedeutungslos, die Schauplätze sind nervenaufreibend ... Ich hätte einen epischeren Kampf mit Harkon erwartet. Der größte Fehler besteht jedoch darin, dass man in Vanilla Skyrim nach dem DLC kaum noch mit einer Figur wie Serana interagieren kann.
- Collage aus Winterhold-Quests. Ich habe nur eine Frage: Wenn Augur von Dunlain warnt, dass Ancano ihn besucht hat, warum erzählen wir dann niemandem davon? Warum ist Magnus‘ Kugel nicht besser geschützt? Für mich ist das alles seltsam.
- Ich mag die Bürgerkriegsmissionen, aber gleichzeitig ist Ulfric ein machtgieriger, rassistischer Idiot. Welchen Grund hätte ich, auf seiner Seite zu stehen?
- Mercer Frey zu verfolgen und zu besiegen ist meiner Meinung nach lächerlich. Ich töte den Bastard mit 2 Schwerthieben (besonders auf höheren Leveln), dennoch wird er in den Quests als sehr stark und unbesiegbar aufgeführt ...
- Delphine ist eine nervige Figur, auch wenn sie es nicht sein sollte, wenn das Spiel möchte, dass wir mit den Blades sympathisieren.
...und es gibt noch viel mehr solchen Mist.
Aber was wirklich herzzerreißend ist, ist, dass sie das Spiel immer wieder veröffentlicht haben, ohne irgendwelche bahnbrechenden Fehler zu beheben. Ekelhaft.

On the subject of "Ulfric" ... he is a sleeper agent of the Talmor.

If you visit the Talmor embassy on behalf of the "Blades" - you will find, besides the document "we don't have a plan either what it has to do with the dragons" - some other information ... among others also the file of Mr. "Ober-Sturmmantel".

Well - can we use this to end the civil war without a final slaughter?

No - of course not - why should we?

It's just a game for mental minors ... Games for adults don't just involve sex and prono - but also mentally higher content like real life experiences etc.

?

3 hours ago, DeadJester226 said:

I agree with everything you said, but there's one thing about Delphine that just annoys me, as it's a major plot-hole. So we had to learn the first word of Whirlwind Sprint to be able to access the tomb of Jurgen Windcaller to retrieve his horn, right? So... how did Delphine retrieve the horn without it? Does she know something we don't? There was no other way to access the tomb, right? Also, there was no sign of her being there other than her note. It makes no fucking sense.

Some people say that she probably paid other people to activate the stones to open the gates, but how would that work with all of the skeletons within that part of the tomb? I'm pretty sure the skeletons would have noticed a bunch of random schmucks doing that.

Yeah, that's another piece of nonsense.
How did she get the horn if only the Dragonborn can do it? Logical glitch...

1 hour ago, Miauzi said:

On the subject of "Ulfric" ... he is a sleeper agent of the Talmor.

If you visit the Talmor embassy on behalf of the "Blades" - you will find, besides the document "we don't have a plan either what it has to do with the dragons" - some other information ... among others also the file of Mr. "Ober-Sturmmantel".

Well - can we use this to end the civil war without a final slaughter?

No - of course not - why should we?

It's just a game for mental minors ... Games for adults don't just involve sex and prono - but also mentally higher content like real life experiences etc.

?

I think a lot of people don't even read those notes, even though they really show how much of a scumbag Ulfric is.

Vor 1 Stunde sagte D3vilizeR:

Ich glaube, viele Leute lesen diese Notizen nicht einmal, obwohl sie wirklich zeigen, wie sehr Ulfric ein Dreckskerl ist.

Since we are talking about the "vanilla" game ... I'm particularly fond of this start.

When I thought about writing my blog story about Skyrim almost 1 year ago ... I knew immediately that BEFORE "Chapter 1" there had to be a "Chapter 0".

If you like, here is my personal view on this part (English translation at the end of the chapter in the spoiler)

---

Why I could never join Ufric -> he is a racist shithead who treats refugees like dirt.

My father's family was treated the same way in D-Land in 1948 as the "Dunmer" in Skyrim ... although they were even "natives" ... but from a part of D-Land that no longer belonged to it (Treaty of the 4 victorious nations).

So they were virtually internal refugees ... the Einhemians in their new homeland didn't care at all - people like my father or his sister (my aunt) were treated like "lepers".

Shortsightedness. Surely there are large bits of content where it can easily be seen why its so simple - after all, I'd argue that even if Skyrim of course, has a PC release, it seems to be developed more as a Console game(though I don't know this 100%), not one for PC. Thus even with a PC release, everything content-wise had to work on console. What makes this worse are cases where content was cut, i.e from the Civil War or College questlines.

But what bothers me more, would be the smaller instances. Like quests that would benefit from one added dialogue line, or even a few lines that are conditioned for something the player has done. Occasionally this is a thing, as a few quests have items that you can get first, and the quest has a line which allows you to say you have the item already - not start the quest first, and then use the I have this... option, if the dialog doesn't end outright.

Spoiler

Rise in the East does this, in that you can get the logbook before beginning the quest, but there is no unique line to say you have the book already - just a "I have the book" option after the quest starts.

The one "small" case that bothers me the most, is Hearthfire's quest. Not one obvious detail is considered for that quest to start.

Are you a Thane of Falkreath? - This would make the most sense for the plot of land to be offered.

Have you spoken with Siddgeir before?

Have you been to Falkreath?(as in the city/village, not just the hold)

Have you done quests in Falkreath?

Are you a Thane in perhaps the Reach or Whiterun?

Have you done the Dragon Rising Quest?

Among perhaps others. But no, all the quest requires is being level 9. You could indeed start the game with the vanilla intro, and spend hours(or in-game days/weeks/months) in the wilderness, and should you be level 9 or higher when you finally enter a Village(or any location a Courier can spawn), SOMEHOW, Siddgeir knows about you. All without doing any of the above, or anything else that might make sense, of course. I'd say the issue exists for the other two HF houses, but since those don't hinge on a somewhat unique quest, just the Thane quest for their respective holds.

But the reason is obvious - it's designed as DLC, something which is meant to only be complex in it's main point - building a house(i.e gathering materials, etc). Not being introduced to the content. Though this same or similar point could be argued with for New Vegas' DLC, which chooses to do something similar, albeit worse - one step into the game world, and not only do you have the main quest, but also all of these. Though Oblivion did the same thing too, making Skyrim on the whole at least better about it, since you aren't slammed with DLC quests upon leaving the cave.

On another point, you have NPCs like Rolff and Angrenor, who you'd have to think that some(hopefully most, though agreeing with them could be a character choice, not that of the player...) would take an issue with their bullshit. Yet do we have any persuasion lines to maybe at least make them tone it down? Nope. Worse off, Rolff is essential. Why? Oh, because he as a Brawl quest - and doing it does not remove said flag. But again, the reason is simple - they are designed as simple NPCs, which you are not meant to think much about - even if they are your introduction to Windhelm, it doesn't matter that you might take issue with their racist attitude - since you might've picked a Dunmer, or other Elven race, or simply don't have the same belief.

Edited by Kuroyami

The remake option, obviously. If Bethesda was a serious studio, they would have released TES VI in 2018, and TES VII this year. Instead they released Fallout 76 and Starfield... 

But the worst part of it is not Bethesda, but its fanboys. 

Specially those fanboys who talk trash about Bethesda, and then ran to buy Starfield now, because of "muh modding tools". 

I used to call them cabbagers, but now with Starfield, they are obsessing over potatoes. 

But lets just see them for what they are: lemmings.