Have you ever made something that you hated?

Have you ever made something, only to regret it later? For me, it's this.

I've been reuploading my mods to this site, and there's one that I can't bring myself to reupload here. It's My Real Face FO4 edition (look it up on Nexus). I hate that mod. No matter what I try, I can't get it to look right. I regret even making it because just thinking about it pisses me off. I think this feeling is similar to Radiohead's feelings toward their song Creep.

1 minute ago, deadjester226 said:

Radiohead's feelings toward their song Creep.

I love that song!

No link to your My Real Face FO4 edition ?

29 minutes ago, deadjester226 said:

It's My Real Face FO4 edition (look it up on Nexus). I hate that mod. No matter what I try, I can't get it to look right.

You can't accurately re-create a Skyrim face for Fallout 4. So instead of forcefully trying to make something you don't want, why don't you just drop the whole idea of creating your face? 

8 hours ago, Mez558 said:

The obvious answer would be take it down until you are happy with it.

Although I get the impression there is something else going on here.

There is no way to make it right. Trust me. I spent hours trying to get it right.

And yes. The other thing going on is that I’m a bit of a perfectionist.

Edited by deadjester226
8 hours ago, Speed Metal said:

You can't accurately re-create a Skyrim face for Fallout 4. So instead of forcefully trying to make something you don't want, why don't you just drop the whole idea of creating your face? 

I wanted to make it because… why not? Also, I keep it on Nexus because there are people who do like it.

Edited by deadjester226
20 hours ago, deadjester226 said:

There is no way to make it right. Trust me. I spent hours trying to get it right.

And yes. The other thing going on is that I’m a bit of a perfectionist.

That's not what I meant. I meant it reads something like this.

21 hours ago, deadjester226 said:

I've been reuploading my mods to this site, and there's one that I can't bring myself to reupload here. It's My Real Face FO4 edition (look it up on Nexus).

(Please go look at it)

I hate that mod. No matter what I try, I can't get it to look right. I regret even making it because just thinking about it pisses me off.

(That's, more or less, what I look like in RL... I'm Pretty right? Tell me I'm pretty... Someone?)

I think this feeling is similar to Radiohead's feelings toward their song Creep.

(My self-esteem is in pieces... Help!)

This isn't an attack on you, it's just how the post reads to me. You could argue that I am projecting and that would be a fair arguement. I didn't come to this conclusion because I'm some wanna be head shrink. This is just something I've seen done before have done similar myself... Just not online (not sure there was even much of an internet back then.)

As Speed Metal said, re-creating a real face, anyone's real face, in Skyrim or FO4 is an exercise in futility. You would need to be an absolute master with the sculpt tool to really get close. If that pre-set looks vaguely like you so much so that if one of your friends saw it and didn't know they would ask if that was what you were aiming at then Good Job.

There is, or was a Modder on Nexus that used to make Followers based on characters from other sources (or based on Fanart of said character) but, at least imo, they looked nothing like the source material that was shown amongst the images. They didn't look bad at all but I couldn't see anything in them that reminded me of the character they were based one.

Or to put this another way, have you ever seen a preset in Skyrim (any version, any Head type) or F04 that is based on a real person and looks enough like them that if you weren't told that it was said person you would immediately know who it was?
I haven't.

TL;DR

If you really hate it. Take it down and keep working on it until you do.

If you're looking for validation... Don't look for it online and certainly not here... Sheesh...
And, if it actually looks vaguely like you, well done... Oh, and you're Pretty.

Also, if you really want your digital likeness out there, port it to Skyrim... I just started a Thief play through... I promise to do my best to keep "you" out of trouble.?

Edited by Mez558

(sigh) Here we go again.

50 minutes ago, Mez558 said:

This isn't an attack on you, it's just how the post reads to me.

I get that, but that wasn't the problem. Keep reading to know what was the problem.

43 minutes ago, Mez558 said:

If you really hate it. Take it down and keep working on it until you do.

You know, I didn't make this thread for someone to tell me how to deal with my mods. I made this thread for people to talk about things that they made and regretted. If I want to hate my own mod, that's on me. If I want to leave it up for people who did like it, that's my choice. Also, I'm not going to repeat myself about trying to get the preset to look right. In other words, my mods, my rules.

31 minutes ago, Mez558 said:

If you're looking for validation... Don't look for it online and certainly not here... Sheesh...

If you really think that, then you completely missed the point. I was just talking about something I made and hated. Nothing more, and nothing less. 

33 minutes ago, Mez558 said:

Or to put this another way, have you ever seen a preset in Skyrim (any version, any Head type) or F04 that is based on a real person and looks enough like them that if you weren't told that it was said person you would immediately know who it was?
I haven't.

Yes, I have. Quite a few, actually. One of them was my own preset for SSE, which was based on my face. You can find it here, if you want to look it up. Or just look at my profile pic. Minus the vampire eyes, that is very accurate to my real face.

Now, can we get back on topic? As in, the reason I made this thread, which is to talk about things we made and hated? If you want to know something else I made and hated, it's this thread. I made it for one thing, and then had to deal with people talking about how I should feel about my mods. I knew that I should have used a different example. The only problem is that I don't really have another example. Plus, that mod was what gave me the idea for this thread. If I have to deal with one more comment talking about this and not the topic, I'm just going to delete this thread.

I'm too fucking tired to deal with this right now.

I've wanted to be an author for a very long time. I don't kid myself though, the only thing I have going for me is my imagination, just no skill.

Anyway I do write, and I used to write a lot. Many years ago the late wife asked me to write her some naughty stories so I did. Those stories led to many bouts of rambunctious sex. I saved them onto floppy disks at the time and then forgot about them. Many years later and long after the wife passed away I went to work as a Butler and moved in with my boss. The only things I didn't do for the boss was sleep with her.

One day while I was running errands she goes rooting through my crap and found the disks and decided to be fucking nosey. She found the stories and thought they were amazing and shared them with EVERYONE.

I let people read my normal stories any time they wanted and people liked them ok'ish but yeah my writing skill is terrible. But the erotic ones, everyone said they couldn't believe that came from me, it was like I was a completely different person.

That was 12 years ago and I still feel embarrassed that so many people read them. Any time I meet a mutual friend I cringe if they smirk or smile at me cause I think they're thinking of what I wrote. They are STILL making the rounds though.  I'll get the random email from people I know only in name with a "DID YOU WRITE THIS!!!?????".

• 2 weeks later...

I did make one mod that had the proprietor of the Captured Dreams shop chained behind Breezehome. Every minute or so a script would wake up and send some random Whiterun citizen to rape her.

That was up for about 30 seconds before I decided I was being childish and took it down.

I also freaked myself out a little with what I was doing with the Girl In A Jar mod.  I stopped work on that until I could work out a better way to frame it. Still haven't got back to it.

No, possibly due to how I was conditioned to look at the product of one's efforts.

I tend to be irritated at my own limitations at the time or creating a work after which point I try to work within those limitations while resolving to improve if I can. The flaws in the work are either reflect my own flaws or that or the materials that I am working with (no matter how skilled one is with a pencil or pen, there is precious little that one can do with a pile of paper that has been reduced to sheets of dust after prolonged exposure to the sun.

• 4 months later...