The Witcher 3

kamileuszb

The redkit was meant for creation not modification not to mention the fact that it has been less than a month since it was released , and as far skyrim "levels" it may not reach in quantity but it most certainly can on quality I mean look at games like amnesia or HL2 (source) and see how many quality mods/overhauls there are for them .

http://witcher.nexusmods.com/mods/628//? just sayin :)

Yes the redkit can basically allow you to make a whole new game, not just modding the original one.

But will it ever have a modding community as strong as TES?

I doubt it.

One of the great things about TES is that you can make mods that go right into the main game with your existing characters.

Now, granted, I imagine this will be possible with TW2 and TW3... as long as your character is Geralt. Even if you model swap, it's still going to be Geralt because that's what the game world will acknowledge the player as.

The simple fact is that's always going to limit appeal in regards to the kind of customisation modding potentially offers.

Now, yes, total conversions are another matter entirely. However this is a problem for me for the same reason that Gothic 2 conversion was - I'm not going to pay money for a base game I'm essentially going to ignore. It feels like a waste.

I'm not saying this is a problem for everyone, but it's a problem for enough of us, I suspect, to ever make it compete with TES mod wise no matter how flexible the SDK is.

I am pretty sure that TW2 wont have a strong modding community like TES games at first because a lot of people are modding TES for a long time and second because TW2 is not an open world so basically it is either minor changes or full total conversions.

That said TW3 might have good modding capabilities, we dont know enough yet to really talk about it, it certainly sounds promising on the paper.

I personally have no problem playing a fixed character as long as the story is immersive enough to dive in, first time I tried TW I had the same feeling but I forced myself to play it (because it had good reviews and because I am a long time RPG player) and I was not disapointed.

Another example where you cant choose which character you play is Planescape Torment and it was a damn great game, the PC was even worse that Geralt to begin with but still a great game and a great story.

Long story short I dont mind loosing up a little freedom if the game does surprise and entertain me but heh whatever rocks your boat :)

Personally I've never been fond of the W franchise. I *tried* to like TW2, but the game simply tried way too hard to earn my ire, so I just couldn't. TW3 will simply be another game that I won't play.

I will say, however, that I find it ridiculous that they criticize skyrim for being "generic"- while then proceeding to make the same type of game, in the same kind of setting. Say what you will about Skyrim, but that kind of two-faced BS is something I cannot stand. And to have people that then proceed to defend this kind of BS with statements like "But Witcher is based of a *Novel*, Skyrim wasn't!" is just...I don't have words for it.

I am pretty sure that TW2 wont have a strong modding community like TES games at first because a lot of people are modding TES for a long time and second because TW2 is not an open world so basically it is either minor changes or full total conversions.

That said TW3 might have good modding capabilities, we dont know enough yet to really talk about it, it certainly sounds promising on the paper.

I personally have no problem playing a fixed character as long as the story is immersive enough to dive in, first time I tried TW I had the same feeling but I forced myself to play it (because it had good reviews and because I am a long time RPG player) and I was not disapointed.

Another example where you cant choose which character you play is Planescape Torment and it was a damn great game, the PC was even worse that Geralt to begin with but still a great game and a great story.

Long story short I dont mind loosing up a little freedom if the game does surprise and entertain me but heh whatever rocks your boat :)

Never much liked having to be Mr. Blue Ogre there in Torment either. Very well written it certainly was though.

Let's just say if the new Torment has all that + character generation, I'll be in heaven.

Anyway I'm not saying TW2/3 won't have good modding communities, but there will still be that initial barrier for people like me.

Now if TW3 happens to be build on a solid engine unlike Skyrim which is built on playing cards and toothpicks (seriously Bethesda, pick something other than an iteration of gamebryo, it sucks), AND happens to get something on the level of Nehrim, maybe the potential will be there. But that's a big if.

AND happens to get something on the level of Nehrim, maybe the potential will be there. But that's a big if.

But Nehrim was build on the oblivion gamebryo .

I mean in the sense of a total conversion.

The engine doesn't really matter in terms of the quality of the game, just in the flexibility of what it can do... and preferably not crashing every time you cough.

Did TW was set up in the north? I dont remember any of that.... the fact is : Skyrim is very generic, a lot more generic than previous TES games actually and if it was not because of the mods I would have left it aside and moved on a long time ago, I dont even think I would have made through a full playthrough beside the main quest actually (I did lefty aside TW and TW2 for that matter, but side quests were a lot more rewarding and interesting than 99% than the ones in Skyrim).

If we were to compare vanilla Skyrim with TW2 I think TW2 is way better in most ways, but because of the mods Skyrim is a much more entertaining game to play because theres always novelty, the fact is I truly spent more time modding Skyrim and tuning characters than actually playing the damn game.

Yes TheoryoftheDead now every game that has a northen region imitates skyrim , no every game that has sword combat imitates skyrim , did you look at ryse in microsofts E3 ? hey crytek copypasta much ?

I'm not saying that they're imitating skyrim. There's been plenty of games set in northern climates long before skyrim. I'm saying that criticizing a game for being "too generic", while then making use of that exact same setting is a pile of BS.

Yes TheoryoftheDead now every game that has a northen region imitates skyrim , no every game that has sword combat imitates skyrim , did you look at ryse in microsofts E3 ? hey crytek copypasta much ?

I'm not saying that they're imitating skyrim. There's been plenty of games set in northern climates long before skyrim. I'm saying that criticizing a game for being "too generic", while then making use of that exact same setting is a pile of BS.

I find a pile of BS to say that TW (even the not released yet TW3) is the same setting as Skyrim.  First because you didnt played the damn game (nobody did) and second because neither TW or TW2 are even close to TES games in terms of setting apart that there are all medieval fantasy games.

The fact is Skyrim is generic, a lot more generic than previous TES in its very design, that is not necessarily a bad thing when it is well done (and Skyrim is well done in many ways) but Skyrim truly lacks deepness in its story, its characters and NPC.

Back when I was playing Morrowind or even Oblivion I had a sense of uniqueness of the design and the world itself, something I did not felt in Skyrim until they released Dragonborn which is truly a DLC fan service for old time players.

I find a pile of BS to say that TW (even the not released yet TW3) is the same setting as Skyrim.  First because you didnt played the damn game (nobody did) and second because neither TW or TW2 are even close to TES games in terms of setting apart that there are all medieval fantasy games.

The fact is Skyrim is generic, a lot more generic than previous TES in its very design, that is not necessarily a bad thing when it is well done (and Skyrim is well done in many ways) but Skyrim truly lacks deepness in its story, its characters and NPC.

Back when I was playing Morrowind or even Oblivion I had a sense of uniqueness of the design and the world itself, something I did not felt in Skyrim until they released Dragonborn which is truly a DLC fan service for old time players.

Out of curiosity, did you even watch the TW3 announcement? I'm not sure how you'd interpret that trailer as anything but an open-world RPG in a nordic enviroment(The same setting as Skyrim - which they criticized for being "too generic"). Skyrim isn't unique - there's no doubt about that - but neither is TW, and the fact that people somehow is unable to see or acknowledge this just seems like a severe case of fanboism to me.

Some genericness comes with being open world. Even Morrowind suffers from this somewhat compared to tighter paced RPGs.

I find it dickish to say that Skyrim is generic and immediately follow up with an open world RPG. At least wait until the game is released so people can judge for themselves, I say.

Also I found Oblivion far more generic than Skyrim in both plot and world. Maybe that's because I expected the exotic Byzantine jungle world depicted in the lore and we got generic medieval fantasy world instead.

What I meant by generic was not regarding the fact that these games are open world but really by the design, best design in TES games for me is definitly Morrowind, I still think that oblivion had a somewhat better design than Skyrim overhaul even if it was a lot more classic than Morrowind while basically Skyrim could be pretty much a game out of the TES license when you look at it.

I personally found Oblivion boring in terms of story and I hated the Oblivion gates very much because it was debilitating and repetitive but I find the towns especially way better made in Oblivion than in Skyrim.

The story of Skyrim is quite classic you can pretty much sum it down to : you are the hero that can absorb dragon souls and you will save the world from dragon tyrrany, you cant sum TW story down of like this.

Finally I think Skyrim is a great game, I spent countless hours just wandering around and I truly love it but that does not mean it is not classic in its design, calssic is not even a bad thing as I'd better play Skyrim than Morrowind today (even if you gave me Morrowind with Skyrim engine) because I think the gameplay is way better in Skyrim (no matter what loremongers are saying if Morrowind was released today you would probably find it very boring). What I liked so far in TW series was that you are playing your part in a world that is running very well with or without you in front of TES games where you are pretty much the center of everything.

Will CDR make something better? I truly dont know. I find TW world quite classic also in term of medieval fantasy compared to something like Morrowind, just a little bit more mature and lively, the story tho is not as classic as in Skyrim as Geralt is a genitically modified monster killer, the whole second chapter has a great story where you are basically chased down because you are suspected to have killed the king, the whole Wild hunt thing is also quite interesting.

Only time will tell if they will succeed in giving us the game we all crave for but so far I liked what I saw.

Sorry but anyone debating that Skyrim environments are the same as Witcher you need to get your eyes checked. CDProjectRed kicks the shit out of Bethesda in terms of the environment...I mean, have you seen the swamp level in Witcher 2? AMAZING! Sure there's some areas that sort of look like swamps in Skyrim but nothing at all like the Witcher.

This is totally funny, for years you've been bitching about bethesda and there total lack of being able to make a decent game including skyrim. now that another Developer says basically the same thing you go ape shit about it, What, your the only ones allowed to dump on Bethesda and get away with it? I've heard this same garbage every time this sort of thing happens, when it's players it's ok? but if it's a dev it's blasphemy?.

WTF?

btw, CD Project RED just announced that all PC-DLC for "The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt" will be free, their hoping the console platform holders will also allow all add-ons to be free as well. and that comes from the entire CD Project RED team. Eat shit EA.

full story

http://gamespace.daemon-tools.cc/eng/news/the-witcher-3-game-will-get-free-dlcs-2013-06-18

If I bashed Bethesda (for the record I'm critical but don't bash, but just using myself as an example) and then immediately announced I'm making a game that looks and feels (conjecture based on how CDPR describe TW3) exactly like Skyrim without the character creator then you'd be welcome to call me a douchy hypocrite too.

Yeah CDPR's business model I can praise, when they finally make a game that interests me anyway.

This is totally funny, for years you've been bitching about bethesda and there total lack of being able to make a decent game including skyrim. now that another Developer says basically the same thing you go ape shit about it, What, your the only ones allowed to dump on Bethesda and get away with it? I've heard this same garbage every time this sort of thing happens, when it's players it's ok? but if it's a dev it's blasphemy?.

WTF?

btw, CD Project RED just announced that all PC-DLC for "The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt" will be free, their hoping the console platform holders will also allow all add-ons to be free as well. and that comes from the entire CD Project RED team. Eat shit EA.

full story

http://gamespace.daemon-tools.cc/eng/news/the-witcher-3-game-will-get-free-dlcs-2013-06-18

If I bashed Bethesda (for the record I'm critical but don't bash, but just using myself as an example) and then immediately announced I'm making a game that looks and feels (conjecture based on how CDPR describe TW3) exactly like Skyrim without the character creator then you'd be welcome to call me a douchy hypocrite too.

Yeah CDPR's business model I can praise, when they finally make a game that interests me anyway.

The fact that you are interested in their games or not is irrelevant, for me saying that Skyrim is classic is nowhere near bashing the game, you must have missed to read anything about TW or TW3, just because it is an open world RPG does not mean it is similar to Skyrim.

Are all open world games similar to Skyrim? Next step will you compare GTA series to Skyrim just because they are both open worlds?

Personally from what I saw and what I read about TW3 it has nothing in common with Skyrim besides the fact that they are 2 open world RPG.

And I agree with Mogie56, every single player has every rightful right to bash Skyrim but when another studio does it (according they actually do) they are evil, WTF seriously?

Well I'd point out there's also a difference between your average player and a game developer.

I have never looked kindly upon trash talking by so-called professionals. The last developer that trash talked a game in recent memory was EA mocking Simcity 4 to promote the new Simcity. That didn't turn out very well.

I'll also point out that CDPR have made *two* games and I don't believe they are deserving of the blind adoration they get.

Not just because the games do little for me, I would think the same even if I liked them. Even if TW1 and TW2 are good, there's no guarantee that TW3 will be especially with their current attitude.

Everything they've described about TW3 points to a TES type game. This is not inherently a bad thing, but I would prefer they shut up and let the product speak for itself rather than be so juvenile.

leddis , did you watch that interview in which they said that ? I don't believe you did .

Also , blind adoration ? there is no other dev/publisher which is as fair to the customer as CDPR not even taking into consideration that fact that they are indie developers .

Archived