The Witcher 3

kamileuszb

Agreed.  If CDProjekt Red can indeed deliver an open world game while maintaining an involving and intense story line like Witcher 2 then they will have raised the bar to a whole new level.  After all the crap they have talked, if they fail, they will be the butt of jokes forever.......

I think this is the whole point here, I think they already know they have the elements in place to "raise the bar" , CDProjeckt are not fledglings in the business anymore, they know what people want now and I believe they are going to deliver.

We'll see. I suspect a lot of people said the same about Mass Effect 3. Nobody is infallible, not even CD Projeckt Red.

But going from close bankruptcy* to W2 is quiet amazing feat.

*console version of W1 that was developed by outside dev studio located in France almost drive CDP in to bankruptcy

Agreed.  If CDProjekt Red can indeed deliver an open world game while maintaining an involving and intense story line like Witcher 2 then they will have raised the bar to a whole new level.  After all the crap they have talked, if they fail, they will be the butt of jokes forever.......

I think this is the whole point here, I think they already know they have the elements in place to "raise the bar" , CDProjeckt are not fledglings in the business anymore, they know what people want now and I believe they are going to deliver.

We'll see. I suspect a lot of people said the same about Mass Effect 3. Nobody is infallible, not even CD Projeckt Red.

No, a lot of people who greatly enjoyed ME2 or with some real knowledge about the franchise said ME3 was going to suck before the release, not to mention the ones who loved the game from the first chapter (myself included) and felt the things were going downhill right after the publisher has changed (Pinnacle Station has been the very first move after that and the first step down).

You could be right about CD Projekt Red tho. I hope they will deliver but it seems the more the time passes.. the scenario for quality games get worse.

Except for the graphic, of course.. <_<

I try not to expect anything too good anymore.

But going from close bankruptcy* to W2 is quiet amazing feat.

*console version of W1 that was developed by outside dev studio located in France almost drive CDP in to bankruptcy

Agreed.

I've read the article about it, Seeing Red: The Story of CD Projekt (which is a brilliant, informative read about the gaming industry in general and the hurdles they've had to surpass) and I have to say, I like their modus operandi. I think they've got a handle on it.

I'm just a pessimist, I'd rather be pleasantly surprised if something is as good as people claim rather than be bitterly disappointed if it falls below an inflated expectation.

No, a lot of people who greatly enjoyed ME2 or with some real knowledge about the franchise said ME3 was going to suck before the release, not to mention the ones who loved the game from the first chapter (myself included) and felt the things were going downhill right after the publisher has changed (Pinnacle Station has been the very first move after that and the first step down).

You could be right about CD Projekt Red tho. I hope they will deliver but it seems the more the time passes.. the scenario for quality games get worse.

Except for the graphic, of course.. <_<

I try not to expect anything too good anymore.

I don't know, I wasn't overly fond of ME2, but I really enjoyed ME3. To me, the changes ME1 and ME2 went through were pretty much the same as that suffered by TW1 and TW2 - "streamlining" and portability for the console at the expense of things like a good UI, inventory management and more of an open world to explore. Given that they're saying TW3 is going to go in a completely different and unexplored direction for CD Projekt Red (sandbox) it could really go either way - it could be the pinnacle of their achievements or just feel like a totally different game.

I want to believe they'll do it right, and for me personally, I find the best way of doing that is to keep calm and not get unrealistically high expectations.

*My opinion*

Honestly, if Witcher 3 is going to be just as a half as good as it promises its still going to be thousand times better then what skyrim is.

Just from the trailer i picked up >

stunning visuals

quality animations

all those little details, chimney smokes, birds on the sky, the atmosphere

cities look like cities  (in skyrim there arent any real cities, just villages)

good combat

Even the quests are going to be so much better then skyrim and more importantly its going to be an rpg, where skyrim is not.

There i bashed skyrim.

Hope you all have powerful computers I.e. your GFX cards which supports DX 11. The trend for PC games has been to make them more and more graphic intense regardless of the fact that not everyone in the world who plays PC games can afford to buy or build a PC that can handle these new Uber graphic games.

Every single recent game runs perfectly fine on my HD6850 and that's not a very powerful card, only Skyrim with (some) ENB is getting my rig on its knees.

I did not try TW3 so I can't really say what the minimum config would be but considering how much you would pay for a new generation game console I can probably spend half of the price to get a very decent graphic card update that will allow me to play every single game of 2014 with high details.    

Of course if you intend to play with a graphic card that is not at first meant to run games you will have troubles but any middle range modern graphic card will allow you to play games with very decent framerate and nice results, bear in mind that PC games have options allowing you to tune them for your rig.                          

It's not just the price of the GFX card you have to consider when upgrading. You also have to check and make sure your power supply can handle the card you want and if it can't you have to also replace that which snowballs into finding one that is the wattage you need and will fit in your tower, there is also the matter of will you be able to keep the GFX cool as many of the newer cards can get really hot.

Hope you all have powerful computers I.e. your GFX cards which supports DX 11. The trend for PC games has been to make them more and more graphic intense regardless of the fact that not everyone in the world who plays PC games can afford to buy or build a PC that can handle these new Uber graphic games.

It wont need DX 11 because it is only  available to w8.

Is anyone worried about how they might handle the "Yennefer" angle in TW3?

I got into the franchise first through the games and then into the books, and even then it was incomplete because apparently neither Andrej Sapowski nor his publisher(s) can seemingly be convinced that translating the books properly, and in a timely fashion, into a language with 319 million more speakers than Polish could possibly be a good investment. That is to say, the English translations are apparently pretty bad (I know some are) and the books skip over titles, change translators (and thus quality) and we're still left waiting for a number of titles.

In any case, Geralt seemingly loves Yennefer (through a complicated curse/destiny event) and TW1 and TW2 go a long way towards pointing that out, and finding her is one of the major themes of the games, and seemingly this will be the case even more in TW3. Here's the problem, I don't love Yennefer. Within the games, I feel I have very little connection to her whatsoever. I'm simply a "Triss" guy. She's my romantic interest, not Yennefer. I've spent two games building our relationship together.

So with that being said, I'm a little... worried about how they might handle this in TW3. I don't want to be "forced" into getting back to her, dumping Triss along the way. I hope if anything, there is a choice, and I can just say "Look, things have changed." It becomes all the more worrying if you remember that, in TW1, if you chose Shani, in TW2 she automatically gets ditched for Triss. It's a bad precedent to set.

I can't help but think the way they've built Triss up as a major character that this won't be the case (especially so in the beginning and off-screen as done with Shani) but I do still want to be with her in TWIII. Unless they manage to do something amazing with Yennefer, but I just don't see it happening.

Thoughts?

I personally don't know how this is going to go in TW3. It's like Kremlin said you've been with Triss for two games now and if I remember right all you get of yennefer is references to her and nothing more, if they bring her in as an actually character and Geralt's attitude and obvious feelings towards Triss changes in favor of Yennefer I'll probably stop playing TW3 the minute that happens.

I feel exactly the same way, my guess would be they add some option along the main quest line to choose a path or something, like it was in TW2 where at the end you chose if to go save Triss or go after the kingslayer.

I mean they have to...Triss is a fine girl, obviously caring about Geralt and even if Geralt remembers, forgetting all that she did for him would be just stupid...i mean i have my pitchfork ready if that happens.

Andrej Sapowski nor his publisher(s) can seemingly be convinced that translating the books properly, and in a timely fashion, into a language with 319 million more speakers than Polish could possibly be a good investment. That is to say, the English translations are apparently pretty bad (I know some are) and the books skip over titles, change translators (and thus quality) and we're still left waiting for a number of titles.

The problem is, someone who's not familiar with the Polish language would never fully appreciate the books. Sapkowski's writing is very peculiar; it's based on mediaeval Polish with lots of vulgar phrases, aphorisms, grotesque jokes and wordplay. Our, Polish, native is much more complex than English: it consists of more words that can be used in a very different ways. To Poles English seems very practical, because our native is much more casuistic and has lots of context dependant words. Trying to translate Sapkowski to English is quite like trying to word some of the famous Clint Eastwood quotes - like make my day or dyin' ain't much of a living, boy - in Chinese. On top of that TW books often reference to the Polish culture, our mentality and even politics that non-Pole would be unable to catch or understand.

Don't worry Triss is not going nowhere, and I think that Ciri is more important to Geralt than Yennefer. But it was quiet some time when I last read witcher books.

Oh I'm not worried about her going anywhere its more like he gets to meet Yennefer and then we're suddenly forced to get over Triss, that's what I'm worried about. Seeing Ciri would be nice though. 

I personally don't know how this is going to go in TW3. It's like Kremlin said you've been with Triss for two games now and if I remember right all you get of yennefer is references to her and nothing more, if they bring her in as an actually character and Geralt's attitude and obvious feelings towards Triss changes in favor of Yennefer I'll probably stop playing TW3 the minute that happens.

That's what I'm reticent about. I honestly think they'll have thought of it, but if there's an area for apprehension for players that like Triss, that is one of them.

I feel exactly the same way, my guess would be they add some option along the main quest line to choose a path or something, like it was in TW2 where at the end you chose if to go save Triss or go after the kingslayer.

I mean they have to...Triss is a fine girl, obviously caring about Geralt and even if Geralt remembers, forgetting all that she did for him would be just stupid...i mean i have my pitchfork ready if that happens.

Exactly! At this point (the 2nd game) I was thinking like, I don't care how much I loved Yennefer, or was cursed or destined to be with her, Triss has done so much for me at this point and been there for me and surely that has to count for something. I hope they acknowledge that in the third act. 

I remember how much of a douche I felt like when on a 2nd playthrough, I decided to save Anais with Vernon "Ploughing Whoreson" Roche (love that guy!) rather than Triss, and she got rescued by Letho anyway. Getting a bit of Cynthia on the side also made me feel a little guilty, what, with what she did to Triss. No hard feelings I guess...   :P

The problem is, someone who's not familiar with the Polish language would never fully appreciate the books. Sapkowski's writing is very peculiar; it's based on mediaeval Polish with lots of vulgar phrases, aphorisms, grotesque jokes and wordplay. Our, Polish, native is much more complex than English: it consists of more words that can be used in a very different ways. To Poles English seems very practical, because our native is much more casuistic and has lots of context dependant words. Trying to translate Sapkowski to English is quite like trying to word some of the famous Clint Eastwood quotes - like make my day or dyin' ain't much of a living, boy - in Chinese. On top of that TW books often reference to the Polish culture, our mentality and even politics that non-Pole would be unable to catch or understand.

Surely though, if that is the case, its better to hire one translator, whose up to the job, or is the best in the Polish to English translation field, and most likely to convey the "essence" of the series across than doing what they've done, which is to change translators at every turn, and then rely on some arguably pretty bad ones? To cite an example, the UK edition of "The Last Wish" was said to be translated poorly, but I actually found it easy to read, enjoyable and different, even if there were the odd mistakes. "Time of Contempt" on the other hand, is said to have some pretty glaring translation errors which heavily detract from the narrative.

I mean, A Polish friend of mine who is fluent in English read one of the English books and said he could have probably done a better translation. Likewise, apparently the fan-made translations lying around on the TW boards are apparently light-years ahead of the actual ones on sale. So why beat around the bush? Why not just commit and do it properly?

In any case, I think that's a problem with most translations, not just inherent to Polish. I sometimes struggle to explain certain concepts and the "essence" of certain words from my native language to my GF, and sometimes its just not possible. But we get around it. The fact people communicate on the internet alone through English when it is not native to many people alone is nothing short of a small miracle. But it happens. That its difficult is not reason not to try.

Don't worry Triss is not going nowhere, and I think that Ciri is more important to Geralt than Yennefer. But it was quiet some time when I last read witcher books.

Oh I'm not worried about her going anywhere its more like he gets to meet Yennefer and then we're suddenly forced to get over Triss, that's what I'm worried about. Seeing Ciri would be nice though.

Triss is to important to disappear like Shandi did. So I think that if Yennefer appears then player will have choice to whom pledge himself. And most likely it will be dramatic ;)

After all this game is about choices and consequences.

Triss is to important to disappear like Shandi did. So I think that if Yennefer appears then player will have choice to whom pledge himself. And most likely it will be dramatic ;)

After all this game is about choices and consequences.

And they have a history! Cat-fight!  :D

If they give me the choice to stay with Triss or go for Yennefer I'm fine with that it's taking that choice away from me that I will have issues with.

i am quite sure there'll be a choice. They need to please both kind of fans: The ones familiar with the books, that know Yennefer and that she is the one and only true love of Geralt, bound to him by destiny and through many ups and downs. And the fans only familiar with the games, who know Yennefer only by name. Hell, she isn't even mentioned by name in part 1 iirc.

The funny thing might be: Will there be a catfight between the two for Geralt? Triss and Shani almost got at each others throat for the Witcher. however, Triss and Yennefer are supposed to be not only colleagues from the lodge of sorceresses, but good friends as well. At least lots of story-potential there...

Personally, well, I have to say, I like Triss better (redheads rule anyway, see my portrait), as she tends to be less of a cold-hearted bitch, at least most of the time. Yennefer can be pretty beastly, but then, she is actually a ugly hunchback woman only beautiful through magic and infertile though craving for kids...pretty sad...

whatever, the loser will surely get a remarkable night with Dandelion, comforter of pretty women all across the Witcher-World ^^

I've been replaying TW2 and honestly I don't know why Geralt even wants to find Yennefer. Based on what dandelion says about Yennefer and Geralt's relationship "it was toxic" and the shit Letho tells you at the end "Yennerfer trying to seduce them and causing all kinds of trouble" I think if it was me I'd just be content with what I had "Triss" and leave Yennefer where she belongs.....in the past.

i am quite sure there'll be a choice. They need to please both kind of fans: The ones familiar with the books, that know Yennefer and that she is the one and only true love of Geralt, bound to him by destiny and through many ups and downs. And the fans only familiar with the games, who know Yennefer only by name. Hell, she isn't even mentioned by name in part 1 iirc.

The funny thing might be: Will there be a catfight between the two for Geralt? Triss and Shani almost got at each others throat for the Witcher. however, Triss and Yennefer are supposed to be not only colleagues from the lodge of sorceresses, but good friends as well. At least lots of story-potential there...

Personally, well, I have to say, I like Triss better (redheads rule anyway, see my portrait), as she tends to be less of a cold-hearted bitch, at least most of the time. Yennefer can be pretty beastly, but then, she is actually a ugly hunchback woman only beautiful through magic and infertile though craving for kids...pretty sad...

whatever, the loser will surely get a remarkable night with Dandelion, comforter of pretty women all across the Witcher-World ^^

Same here. I do know about Yennefer through the few books I've read, but I just don't see her that way. Triss I find a lot more interesting, and as you've said, compassionate.

Hehe yeah, I don't think either of them see Dandelion that way, I think they're both better than that lol. In any case, I hope it will be something cool and memorable, worth the wait. Fingers crossed!

I've been replaying TW2 and honestly I don't know why Geralt even wants to find Yennefer. Based on what dandelion says about Yennefer and Geralt's relationship "it was toxic" and the shit Letho tells you at the end "Yennerfer trying to seduce them and causing all kinds of trouble" I think if it was me I'd just be content with what I had "Triss" and leave Yennefer where she belongs.....in the past.

Indeed. Mind you, it's not like Geralt is a saint, either. Since he returned, you could say he fell in love with Triss, and even then, you're not even really faithful to her either, as you can and occasionally do sleep with every woman under the sky. I don't think they have "that" kind of relationship, either way, I don't think fidelity seems to be high their respective priorities.

Archived