So not being a programmer, I rely on the smart people to do there creative stuff. Which is greatly appreciated by me. Steam has forced the move to skyrim AE, I updated skse64, and papyrus utils, but getting lots of error from sum, ui extensions, etc.

Will LoversLab start a separate category for SkyrimAE and I know that is is just a hobby for most, but could someone post a guide to upgrading so that everything works. 

• 3 weeks later...

ive disabled everything nonessential, updated about 20 mods to thier most current version, and ffs now i cant even get it to launch to the main menu. im no noob at this but on the same note im no modder. im a user, through and through, but ive never had skse fail to launch. ive had crashes after loads and such but damn i cant even get it to launch to the title screen

I'm certainly not Obi Wan, but I can tell you something, even if you don't like it. Everyone who has switched to AE has had a myriad of problems which, as far as I know, have not yet been solved.
Downgrading this, too, doesn't seem to help me.
Selfless advice: reinstall your Skyrim without AE and, if you really want to update it, wait for the countless problems to be solved. As far as I know, everyone who switched to AE regretted it

yeah thats what i figured. i got the itch to get back into skyrim a few weeks ago, just as this AE crapola dropped. its a nightmare for us users lol. like i said before, ive been using mods for skyrim for years and im hitting roadblocks ive never seen before. all i can do is wait for the modders to catch up but damn its frustrating when i feel like its probably simple fixes(even though they might not be) like, vortex is telling me the most vers. of SOS is fallout/new vegas. its not, its the 3.0 file for skyrim. i disabled it and at least got the game to launch, but ffs i need to have wang if im gonna show these bandits whose boss lol

Download skyrim bestofbothworlds downgrade patcher for AE, you can still use the original SE requirements but with AE "DLC" added in with no problems that i Know of

Note, that if you do this you cannot use any mod Anniversary edition versions of mods only the SE versions

Edited by GodSmack

Wonder if I can hijack the thread for a question concerning this new edition instead of starting a new thread:

Steam sells Skyrim Special Edition to 60% discount. Skyrim AE is a lot more expensive.

I kind of thought it would only be one "special edition" now and that's AE, but it looks like I'm thinking wrong?

All these troubles related to skse, is that only related to the AE version, or does it include this discounted special edition too? I'm thinking of buying it but I don't want to if it brings me headaches...

Edited by Thor2000
bugleifs
17 minutes ago, Thor2000 said:

All these troubles related to skse, is that only related to the AE version, or does it include this discounted special edition too? I'm thinking of buying it but I don't want to if it brings me headaches...

You got it a bit wrong.

Skyrim SE got the same patch AE has, so every new Spedial Edition versions is practically AE. 

The difference for both is, that the AE you can buy has more CC Mods integrated. Special Edition owners got a few for free plus Fishing and got fucked.

That's the entire reason why the support thread overflows with the same questions, most people who buy skyrim now don't know that ?

SE owners like me who knew what's coming got back to start steam offline so it doesn't happen to us and there is a downgrad patcher who at least worked the first days. Dunno if it still does tho

I actually have both. I moved my SE install to another directory under steam/steamapps/common (so that Steam doesn't know about it and therefore won't update it) and have a nice shiny new AE install in the "/skyrim special edition" directory. Have two separate instances of MO2 set up as well. Really helps when testing Random Sex recompiles :)

20 hours ago, Gukahn said:

You got it a bit wrong.

Skyrim SE got the same patch AE has, so every new Spedial Edition versions is practically AE. 

The difference for both is, that the AE you can buy has more CC Mods integrated. Special Edition owners got a few for free plus Fishing and got fucked.

That's the entire reason why the support thread overflows with the same questions, most people who buy skyrim now don't know that ?

SE owners like me who knew what's coming got back to start steam offline so it doesn't happen to us and there is a downgrad patcher who at least worked the first days. Dunno if it still does tho

That cleared out my confusion. So then I guess I'll wait and see what the future brings. My LE version is quite ok for gameplay, but HDT SMP got me curious.

16 hours ago, Arizona_Steve said:

I actually have both. I moved my SE install to another directory under steam/steamapps/common (so that Steam doesn't know about it and therefore won't update it) and have a nice shiny new AE install in the "/skyrim special edition" directory. Have two separate instances of MO2 set up as well. Really helps when testing Random Sex recompiles :)

This is something I for sure would have wanted. You must have done some extra edits somewhere to achieve that? What about user files like saves, inis and logs? Do they go in separate folders too?

Skyrim AE is nice and solves so many issues I had on LE, but yes, I agree with the OP, we need an AE category. But this reminds of of what we have been through with the Amiga and with Windows, offset-adresses in libraries change, so you have to use the OS lookup every time to be future compatible. Is there really no such functionality in Skyrim, mind you like many other games Skyrim IS an operating system/virtual multiuser database crossover and has no trapping of divission by zero errors, those are in my understanding the route to a CTD. I was trying to get S.O.S. to work and in the middle of the finagling I got the second update that voided the SKSE-installation and necessitated updgrading SKSE64 before the game would even boot. And S.O.S. is back on the upgrade casualties list. All the poor main character can do is to go kill dragons and wizards ..... ah well, at least SkUI almost works via adding the My Diary look to  get compatible menus.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/9/2022 at 1:13 AM, Grey Cloud said:

Such as?

At the same time you list a bunch of problems caused by AE?

Crashing at cellborders - especially on the plain around Whiterun due to the game seemingly being unable to handle the list of active objects because of too short wordlength.

9 minutes ago, Gandalvir said:

Crashing at cellborders - especially on the plain around Whiterun due to the game seemingly being unable to handle the list of active objects because of too short wordlength.

Eh? I'm guessing that you are claiming that Skyrim LE crashes at cell borders etc.? If that is so then you will have no problem providing evidence to this.

• 3 months later...
On 12/30/2021 at 5:34 AM, ?????? 1627 said:

I'm certainly not Obi Wan, but I can tell you something, even if you don't like it. Everyone who has switched to AE has had a myriad of problems which, as far as I know, have not yet been solved.
Downgrading this, too, doesn't seem to help me.
Selfless advice: reinstall your Skyrim without AE and, if you really want to update it, wait for the countless problems to be solved. As far as I know, everyone who switched to AE regretted it

Now I'm on that same boat.  So has anyone found a way to fix this?  I don't know what I did, but I did something to where now my game crashes right away upon launching the SKSE64 loader on MO2.  The patches you mentioned in your post don't work.  Even uninstalling/reinstalling the game didn't work.  If someone knows a way, contact me as soon as you can.  

10 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

With info on how to use a search engine?

No.  On why this stupid update fucked up this game to where now it crashes upon launch with the script extender launcher after using the SE Downgrader patch.  Oh shit.  Why did I even touch this stupid update on Steam by accident to begin with?  This sucks! 

If I use the regular launcher the game will launch just fine.  But no mods of course.  But now this is the issue I'm dealing with.  FFS I just want the SE game back without this AE update and all of my mods to work.  

49 minutes ago, ShadowRavenStudios said:

No.  On why this stupid update fucked up this game to where now it crashes upon launch with the script extender launcher after using the SE Downgrader patch.  Oh shit.  Why did I even touch this stupid update on Steam by accident to begin with?  This sucks! 

Downgrade again? And don't update yet again? idk, it doesn't sound that complicated tbh.

9 hours ago, Just Don't said:

Downgrade again? And don't update yet again? idk, it doesn't sound that complicated tbh.

I figured it out.  Race Menu was causing the issue with the crash, but even after updating that with the Race Menu AE update, this fixed the crashes, but some of my mods still appeared to be broken.  This update is a nightmare for SE mod users who have big load orders full of SE mods!  Luckily, I found a way to fix it.

Besides reinstalling SKSE64 to work with the downgrade, I also used this to downgrade the entire game file.  This worked like a charm!  

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/61756

This would have been a big doozie if it wasn't for this mod to help me fix this major issue.  I'm never upgrading this game again.  

2 hours ago, ShadowRavenStudios said:

This would have been a big doozie if it wasn't for this mod to help me fix this major issue.  I'm never upgrading this game again. 

Wise decision . This shit from AE reminds me of the Sims. Each Update, you discover that something no longer works and, if you do not update, you discover that something else no longer works . 

I agree with both of you (Cadaver and Lestat).  I see on Steam a lot of modders are getting frustrated with the new AE updates because all updates break the mods they already have for the SE version.  Bethesda should have invested all of this time to finish up with Starfield or working on Elder Scrolls 6.  If they didn't waste their time on a game that's been pre-released too many times, they would have made more progress on their other projects.  All they did with this Skyrim AE project is two things.

1. Pissed lots of modders off.

2. Waste lots of valuable time.